ShareRoller - Quick and Dirty Electric Bikes

Some new pics from ShareRoller of production samples: (no word in the message on Indiegogo about shipping dates)

First Photos of Production Samples

A few unedited teaser pics from our recent photoshoot. Gearing up to re-launch the website soon with tons of info about the all-new SR4, including how to Pre-Order. Stay tuned.

amRzf7Oovxtn10eWKOrZqQIJdzHiPvw4L43hA_2mTdTTXnWL-U49gOxE0bIChhpFrEvcxRAypZBJVEfFyXMQgpakf6LfzfJl4rbB7h_HINVeHPvowKxzwVimj4TQ9QqfHybUaCi5PIhgw4-WqgD4vWt403WXDjBh6Kh4kBoCxasjUDDJ=s0-d-e1-ft

ShareRoller Shipping Date Guessing Contest
Post your guess for the shipping date of the ShareRoller v4 to Indiegogo backers.

My guess: July 1, 2018

Last edited:
Did another update come out following this on the indie page? mentioned end of next week latest??

It's great to see some real world pictures. So does it look like the unit will come in 2 parts now, the motor and battery connected by retractable cable? I liked the idea of one unit over the front wheel so would be good to know if it could be mounted as one as per the original design? I will be mounting it daily so to go from 1 mounting plates to 2 could be a bit of a faff.

Shareroller LLC Campaigner 11 days ago
Hi guys, sorry so late in replying here. Still waiting to get firm delivery timing from our battery pack manufacturer – the molds are done this week, but we still need to get through sample approval and then pack production. Once we have more clarity on those timelines, we’ll send out a detailed Update (by next week latest). In the meantime, I’ve put a few ‘teaser’ pics from our recent photoshoot in the Update section here, so you can see how a ‘real’ SR4 looks as opposed to just a render!

I think I have just answered my own question reading back looks to no longer be one single unit but will need 2 mounting positions. I wonder what the motive was to move away from the all in one briefcase style which tbh is what I hoped for.

I obviously didn't pay much attention previously either as the clip throttle doesn't seem to be an amazing design either.

Anyhoo looks like the end is in sight..............TBC! :)

I think I have just answered my own question reading back looks to no longer be one single unit but will need 2 mounting positions. I wonder what the motive was to move away from the all in one briefcase style which tbh is what I hoped for.

I obviously didn't pay much attention previously either as the clip throttle doesn't seem to be an amazing design either.

Anyhoo looks like the end is in sight..............TBC! :)
I asked Jeff about the single mount, as I prefer that for my folding bike which benefits from the wheel weight and also doesn't have a great place to mount batteries (I will use a handlebar bag at first I think). He said it would come later, that he was focused on getting the split mount available first as he felt most riders would prefer that for better weight distribution on standard bikes. They still clip together for carrying, though. And while he did say there would be an update last week, he's not posted it yet. Soon, I hope! RE: clip throttle - I'm wondering if one of those rubber band style bike light straps could be adapted to it instead of the rabbit ear style clip. That would be my preference; will probably try it once I get it.

More friction drives is a good thing, right?

If ShareRoller v4 = Lexus
and if Rubee X = Honda
then Alizeti 300C = ????

Alizeti 300C Kickstarter page link...
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...in?ref=nav_search&result=project&term=alizeti

Alizeti 300C is another friction drive on Kickstarter. It is not meant to be removed regularly from the bicycle, from what I can tell: it is a device mounted on a rack which is mounted over the rear tire.

Estimated Delivery is June, 2018. The Kickstarter price is 630 C$ (about 494 US$ according to their Kickstarter page). MSRP is 1,092 C$ (about 856 US$ using the same percentages).

From Shareroller 18 20 21 days ago on Indiegogo:
Hi guys, sorry so late in replying here. ... Once we have more clarity on those timelines, we’ll send out a detailed Update (by next week latest). [My bolding.]

He must have meant "(by next MONTH latest)" or "(by next YEAR latest)."

Last edited:
Another update, including info about a new wireless PAS:

Hello ShareRoller Indiegogo backer:

A quick update on our progress over the past two months (including an exciting new enhancement!) and our latest expectations for delivery timing. First off, some key highlights:

1) Battery Packs: Our injection moulds for the battery casing are FINALLY done - here's a pic below of the first injection-molded samples being assembled and tested by our battery supplier - note the extruded aluminum handles and top-mounted battery gauge:

GKjv7qspQXifIZeIcYhvpdah_pB2CgJk-Z5wzfPLyGFwi-HHr0OkHNmb-CcQcNitMtfYVBsZFPtnSavomCYRuwCTb_O0QgtOQ7gJ6Scm7-YVJdChXtm0Fo04hXvIO-Z5SWF5r4STVZXA1wd6Hp3nUWuN66EoU-FjRtiRNg=s0-d-e1-ft

During testing, our supplier discovered a few small changes the mold requires, so it will be another week or two before we receive the final samples for approval, and when we can begin the UN38.3 testing. We will scramble to get that turned around as quickly as possible, and now expect pack production to begin in the first week of May and take two to three weeks to complete.

2) Wireless Throttle and Pedal Assist Sensor (PAS): We noticed some confusion surrounding our recently posted photoshoot teaser, so we first want to clarify that the throttle is indeed wireless as promised. BUT, we have some even better news: while you may have noticed the wired PAS sensors installed on the bikes in the photos, we are thrilled to announce that we will now be launching with a WIRELESS Pedal Assist Sensor!

When we launched ShareRoller, we were mainly focused on throttle operation, as that was most common in the US market at the time (and the only option for scooter usage). We offered a PAS option mainly for our EU customers who required it to comply with EU regulations. But once we started riding ShareRoller with PAS sensors, we realized it was a actually a fantastic riding experience - it's a true revelation to ride without worrying about controlling a throttle continuously, especially on longer rides. And having the throttle there to add extra power (or braking) whenever you need it (or if you just don't want to pedal) is the perfect combination.

Not only is PAS a great riding option, but more and more US states are now making PAS sensors a requirement for E-Bike usage. Here in NYC, E-Bikes were finally 'legalized' last week (hallelujah!), BUT with the requirement that they have PAS sensors. PAS is also now required in some Canadian provinces. And California's recent E-Bike legislation requires PAS for 'Class 3' E-Bikes that are permitted to reach 28mph. So PAS is starting to become a 'must-have' in our current E-Bike climate.

But we really didn't like having to install a PAS sensor on every bike (and some bikes were nearly impossible to fit). Plus dealing with cables and a connector in order to use it with the SR4 was less than ideal (even with the custom magnetic connector we spent LOTS of time designing and sourcing...). But try as we might, we could not find a single supplier of a wireless PAS sensor anywhere in the world! So we went ahead and developed our own...

It's a small, thin disc that mounts on the inside face of the crank arm, directly opposite the pedal. Inside is a sophisticated Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) paired with a microprocessor and Bluetooth BLE radio, a long-life rechargeable battery, a charge port, a switch, and a high-strength neodymium magnet. It's ultra-smart and ultra-simple to use, and the high-strength magnet enables you to simply snap it in place and go. You can install or remove it in about a second, so you can use it on every bike you own (plus bike share!). And when you're removing the SR4 from a bike, the PAS sensor attaches to the 'assembled-to-carry' SR4 magnetically (just like the throttle), so the 'lock/dock-remove-and-go' model is still effortless.

For those that purchased the 'Split-ring PAS sensor' option during the campaign, you're in for a great free upgrade. For everyone else, we will offer a significantly discounted purchase option for the new Wireless PAS prior to shipment of your SR4. Details and pics to come soon.

3) Photo/Video Shoots, Website Update, & Pre-Orders: We were almost ready to re-launch shareroller.com and open Pre-Orders last month, but the last-minute breakthrough on the Wireless PAS necessitated some re-shoots. Look for all that to happen in a couple more weeks.

4) Updated Delivery Estimate: Last, and certainly not least, when do we now expect to ship? The Battery Packs continue to be the 'last-in-line' component, and since pack production looks to be finished by the third or fourth week in May, we're going to estimate shipment by June 1st, and we think our margin of error on that estimate is a lot tighter than it's been in the past. We sincerely hope we are correct on that front, and that the long wait for your ShareRollers will soon be over.

Thank you again for your patience and support.

Jeff Guida & The ShareRoller Team

Another update, including info about a new wireless PAS:

Hello ShareRoller Indiegogo backer:

A quick update on our progress over the past two months (including an exciting new enhancement!) and our latest expectations for delivery timing. First off, some key highlights:

1) Battery Packs: Our injection moulds for the battery casing are FINALLY done - here's a pic below of the first injection-molded samples being assembled and tested by our battery supplier - note the extruded aluminum handles and top-mounted battery gauge:

GKjv7qspQXifIZeIcYhvpdah_pB2CgJk-Z5wzfPLyGFwi-HHr0OkHNmb-CcQcNitMtfYVBsZFPtnSavomCYRuwCTb_O0QgtOQ7gJ6Scm7-YVJdChXtm0Fo04hXvIO-Z5SWF5r4STVZXA1wd6Hp3nUWuN66EoU-FjRtiRNg=s0-d-e1-ft

During testing, our supplier discovered a few small changes the mold requires, so it will be another week or two before we receive the final samples for approval, and when we can begin the UN38.3 testing. We will scramble to get that turned around as quickly as possible, and now expect pack production to begin in the first week of May and take two to three weeks to complete.

2) Wireless Throttle and Pedal Assist Sensor (PAS): We noticed some confusion surrounding our recently posted photoshoot teaser, so we first want to clarify that the throttle is indeed wireless as promised. BUT, we have some even better news: while you may have noticed the wired PAS sensors installed on the bikes in the photos, we are thrilled to announce that we will now be launching with a WIRELESS Pedal Assist Sensor!

When we launched ShareRoller, we were mainly focused on throttle operation, as that was most common in the US market at the time (and the only option for scooter usage). We offered a PAS option mainly for our EU customers who required it to comply with EU regulations. But once we started riding ShareRoller with PAS sensors, we realized it was a actually a fantastic riding experience - it's a true revelation to ride without worrying about controlling a throttle continuously, especially on longer rides. And having the throttle there to add extra power (or braking) whenever you need it (or if you just don't want to pedal) is the perfect combination.

Not only is PAS a great riding option, but more and more US states are now making PAS sensors a requirement for E-Bike usage. Here in NYC, E-Bikes were finally 'legalized' last week (hallelujah!), BUT with the requirement that they have PAS sensors. PAS is also now required in some Canadian provinces. And California's recent E-Bike legislation requires PAS for 'Class 3' E-Bikes that are permitted to reach 28mph. So PAS is starting to become a 'must-have' in our current E-Bike climate.

But we really didn't like having to install a PAS sensor on every bike (and some bikes were nearly impossible to fit). Plus dealing with cables and a connector in order to use it with the SR4 was less than ideal (even with the custom magnetic connector we spent LOTS of time designing and sourcing...). But try as we might, we could not find a single supplier of a wireless PAS sensor anywhere in the world! So we went ahead and developed our own...

It's a small, thin disc that mounts on the inside face of the crank arm, directly opposite the pedal. Inside is a sophisticated Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) paired with a microprocessor and Bluetooth BLE radio, a long-life rechargeable battery, a charge port, a switch, and a high-strength neodymium magnet. It's ultra-smart and ultra-simple to use, and the high-strength magnet enables you to simply snap it in place and go. You can install or remove it in about a second, so you can use it on every bike you own (plus bike share!). And when you're removing the SR4 from a bike, the PAS sensor attaches to the 'assembled-to-carry' SR4 magnetically (just like the throttle), so the 'lock/dock-remove-and-go' model is still effortless.

For those that purchased the 'Split-ring PAS sensor' option during the campaign, you're in for a great free upgrade. For everyone else, we will offer a significantly discounted purchase option for the new Wireless PAS prior to shipment of your SR4. Details and pics to come soon.

3) Photo/Video Shoots, Website Update, & Pre-Orders: We were almost ready to re-launch shareroller.com and open Pre-Orders last month, but the last-minute breakthrough on the Wireless PAS necessitated some re-shoots. Look for all that to happen in a couple more weeks.

4) Updated Delivery Estimate: Last, and certainly not least, when do we now expect to ship? The Battery Packs continue to be the 'last-in-line' component, and since pack production looks to be finished by the third or fourth week in May, we're going to estimate shipment by June 1st, and we think our margin of error on that estimate is a lot tighter than it's been in the past. We sincerely hope we are correct on that front, and that the long wait for your ShareRollers will soon be over.

Thank you again for your patience and support.

Jeff Guida & The ShareRoller Team

June 1st would be amazing...hope he's close on the time-frame with this posting. I wasn't going to do PAS because I figured the tailwind mode is almost the same, but now that it's wireless maybe I will. Just want to be sure that if you don't put the PAS sensor on, the SR will work without it in all the other modes (throttle, tailwind) so it's not a requirement to use. I can easily see me losing it :-( even though it has a strong magnet. Maybe someone can address the advantage of the pas compared to tailwind mode??? I've never used a pas system before...it's obviously not a torque measuring pas system (those are super expensive) so it is keyed to cadence (would it interfere with the bluetooth signal from my wahoo cadence sensor?). I'm assuming it would push more as you spin slower (harder effort) and push less as you increase cadence - is that correct? A tailwind mode would push equally regardless of cadence, I would think. So if you spin at high cadence would the battery drain be less using pas mode instead of tailwind in terms of range??? And does the pas assist stop at a set speed, whereas the tailwind mode and throttle can be used with pedaling to go over 20 mph?

As I understand it, most cadence sensors "push" the same amount no matter how fast or slow you pedal. It is usually just a simple on/off switch that turns on whenever the pedals are moving and off when they stop moving. The level of "push" or assist would depend on the settings you have selected.

And as I understand it, the tailwind mode pushes anytime the speed of the bike is above 8 mph, and again the amount of assist would be constant and depend only on the settings you have selected.

I would think the battery drain would overall be less with PAS versus tailwind, as with the PAS there will be times when you are coasting and not pedaling so the motor would shut down. In contrast, the tailwind would continue to run the motor even when you were coasting (at least until your speed dropped below 8 mph).

I am not sure, but I think both PAS and tailwind would cut out at 20 mph....but there might also be a higher speed setting like some ebikes have.

Ah...okay, that makes sense, thanks. So tailwind is basically like pas except it will cut out under 8mph; so tailwind would not be useful in climbing hills and one would need to thumb the throttle down to get assist. In that case, pas makes more sense if you want a mode that requires zero interaction beyond turning it on. Assuming there are multiple levels of pas assist one can select, I wonder what the range is like. Since most of my use will be on flats with the occasional hill, having the SR off and then dropping it on with throttle for hills might give me the most range on a regular basis. Sometimes I might ride where the headwind is really bad (20mph +) and then either tailwind or pas would work fine. So maybe I don't really need the pas - unless the range is almost the same as "no SR+throttle on hills only". Decisions, decisions. Guess I will see how much the discount is compared to buying the PAS sensor later at retail if I decide I really need it...

Tailwind runs continously...so it would be helping on any uphill that you can still keep up a speed of 8mph or more. There are definitely multiple levels of assist in both tailwind and PAS. Tailwind would work great on headwinds, again unless you were slowed down to a crawl (under 8mph), in which case you would need to hit the throttle.

I would say the greatest range would definitely come with mostly pedaling without any motor assist, and then just using the throttle to help on hills. Either PAS or Tailwind are going to result in higher average speeds throughout your trip and therefore more battery used.

Thanks, Nirmala. Maybe Jeff will talk more about the benefits of the pas system (other than meeting legal criteria some places). For now, I'm not sure I need it for my usage. I'm assuming it could be added later on should needs change. I'm just chomping at the bit to get the SR; everytime I take on a big hill nowadays my knees punish me for it for a few days at least.

I think one of the benefits of PAS is that you do not need to think about the system, it just works in the background and makes you feel like you are much fitter than you really are :)

In contrast, the throttle requires you to always consider whether to use it or not.

Nowadays, I mostly use the throttle just to get going from a dead stop, the rest of the time, I let the PAS on my current ebike take over. And if I need a bigger boost, I change the assist level instead of hitting the throttle. But then again on my bike the throttle only boosts to the same level as the assist level that is set, so there is not any added benefit to using the throttle versus just pedaling.

I am hoping that the ShareRoller has a throttle that gives maximum power no matter what the tailwind or PAS assist setting is. I think I heard that it is set up that way.

I think one of the benefits of PAS is that you do not need to think about the system, it just works in the background and makes you feel like you are much fitter than you really are :)

In contrast, the throttle requires you to always consider whether to use it or not.

Nowadays, I mostly use the throttle just to get going from a dead stop, the rest of the time, I let the PAS on my current ebike take over. And if I need a bigger boost, I change the assist level instead of hitting the throttle. But then again on my bike the throttle only boosts to the same level as the assist level that is set, so there is not any added benefit to using the throttle versus just pedaling.

I am hoping that the ShareRoller has a throttle that gives maximum power no matter what the tailwind or PAS assist setting is. I think I heard that it is set up that way.

When I first returned to cycling after a 20 year absence, I got a dedicated e bike which I later sold once I got in shape. It was throttle only. I found I used the throttle to clear intersections/avoid traffic and to go up hills. I didn't use it for riding the flatlands. I think (could be wrong) the advantage to throttle is you can hit the max speed much faster than using pas. So if it took 10 seconds to hit top speed pedaling and using max assist, you could get there on throttle in 5 seconds. That might, for some, be an advantage. The decreased ramp up time could be helpful if you run into an unanticipated hill (maybe after a turn) or if a driver is bearing down on you. Since I ride both for exercise and car replacement, I don't want to feel fitter than I really am - the goal is to become fitter - but I have pretty shot knees so I also need to be cognizant of further overuse injury, specifically when climbing. I can see where PAS would be ideal if you are commuting and just want to get to work without breaking a sweat or having to think about your motor, though.

Excellent news indeed! Thanks, Nirmala.

As I am wont to do, here are a couple of estimated "deadlines" pulled from the latest update from ShareRoller:

[We] expect pack production to begin in the first week of May and take two to three weeks to complete.

[W]e're going to estimate shipment by June 1st....

I went back and looked at the chart Jeff posted on the initial campaign, and it looks like PAS is less efficient in battery range than either light throttle or tailwind. That's assuming I am reading this correctly. So I think I will wait on the PAS initially and see how it goes.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-22 at 10.21.07 AM.PNG
    Screen Shot 2018-04-22 at 10.21.07 AM.PNG
    100.5 KB · Views: 880
Back