ShareRoller - Quick and Dirty Electric Bikes

If I recall correctly, I first read about ShareRoller back in 2013. I think it was 2015 when they did the Indiegogo thing to generate funding. So, now it’s April 2018 and they are still playing in the workshop adding complexity, making excuses, and trying to pacify consumers with their latest carrot on a string. In the interim, other ways to propel a bicycle have evolved and become more firmly entrenched in the marketplace. Whatever they eventually produce will probably be genius level, but the bus may have already left the station.

If I recall correctly, I first read about ShareRoller back in 2013. I think it was 2015 when they did the Indiegogo thing to generate funding. So, now it’s April 2018 and they are still playing in the workshop adding complexity, making excuses, and trying to pacify consumers with their latest carrot on a string. In the interim, other ways to propel a bicycle have evolved and become more firmly entrenched in the marketplace. Whatever they eventually produce will probably be genius level, but the bus may have already left the station.

Jeff is done "playing" now; should be shipping in the next two months (fingers crossed). While I see what you are saying about the market moving on, I still don't believe there is a sub-6 pound (or sub-5 pound) easily removed solution out there. For folks who care about weight added to an existing bike and/or care about using it on multiple bikes, there's no competition. Rubbee can go on multiple bikes but it is heavier and precludes using a rear rack. Add-e and Go-e aren't as full featured. I envision mid-drives taking over the permanent install market completely, but friction drives are still the best choice if you don't want a permanent install with lots of added weight. And while I'm certainly not going to try to defend Jeff's delays, AFAIK he's the only crowdfunder to ever issue a credit because of the long wait. His backers will be getting more than they paid for in product as well as purchase credit. That's pretty honorable, imo.

From shareroller.com page:

ALL-NEW SHAREROLLER SRV4 LAUNCHING MAY 31ST 2018
Limited Pre-Order Openings Will Be Available - Sign Up Below
SORRY FOR THE WAIT!
While we know many are anxiously waiting to secure spots in SRV4's production pipeline, we want to be 100% SURE of delivery timing BEFORE we start accepting Pre-Orders. Hence, the Pre-Order open will be delayed two more weeks while we finalize a few last open ends.

The time to get excited is when we get our "mount" ordering emails...

Just 2 days to go and they haven't pushed it back - might actually happen! I'm excited to see reviews from supporters and to try one out.

Haven't gotten an email about mounting selections yet; I'm estimating mid-June, hopefully....Jeff's gotta have a couple weeks to sort out people's add-ons, credit uses, etc., before he can start shipping. Having it for this summer would be fantastic. Fingers crossed and lighting candles to the biking gods.

Indeed, whatever the biking gods give us and whenever they give it to us, we should humbly accept it and give thanks.

1527615241299.png

Two weeks late or two years late, the biking gods' actions are beyond human questioning.

Haven't gotten an email about mounting selections yet; I'm estimating mid-June, hopefully....Jeff's gotta have a couple weeks to sort out people's add-ons, credit uses, etc., before he can start shipping. Having it for this summer would be fantastic. Fingers crossed and lighting candles to the biking gods.

Jeff's 2nd last announcement was that shipments would start June 1st. Then he said he was taking pre-orders May 31st and shipping an "estimated" number of weeks down the road, seemingly ignoring his commitment to June 1st. This guy's record on meeting deadlines is 0 for 30. I have no reason to expect he'll make this one, but hopefully I'm wrong.

Jeff's 2nd last announcement was that shipments would start June 1st. Then he said he was taking pre-orders May 31st and shipping an "estimated" number of weeks down the road, seemingly ignoring his commitment to June 1st. This guy's record on meeting deadlines is 0 for 30. I have no reason to expect he'll make this one, but hopefully I'm wrong.

Well, he hasn't changed the May 31st message on shareroller.com so that's a positive sign. June 1st was for shipping crowdfunded purchases; pre-orders are his retail purchases and he never said when those would actually SHIP. I think he's close, but this isn't a guarantee, there are tons of uncontrolled variables, so I will be happy if backer units ships within 30 days of his June 1st estimate. Reading the Helix crowdfunded thread on bikeforums makes me think Jeff is an angel, lol. Even my utterly uncomplicated bike mirror shipped nearly 6 months late and only to 10% of backers; everyone else is still wishing and hoping. Taken in context with other projects, it's not so bad. Fingers crossed =)

Updated on shareroller.com tonight:
ALL-NEW SHAREROLLER SRV4 LAUNCH COUNTDOWN:
10 DAYS
Limited Pre-Order Openings Will Be Available - Sign Up Below
(Sorry this is taking longer than anticipated, but we want to be 100% SURE of delivery timing BEFORE we start accepting Pre-Orders)

Another ShareRoller competitor on Kickstarter? This one looks similar to ShareRoller except that the friction drive part doesn't come off quickly to go with you when you park your bike (among lots of other features it is missing, I am sure).

The estimated future retail price (MSRP) is listed as 399 British pounds which is about $530 right now.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...bike?ref=nav_search&result=project&term=revos

Edit: I just looked, and the Rubbee X is listed as $399 (US) on their home page. Of course, none of the three--Shareroller, Rubbee, Revos--is shipping yet.

Last edited:
I signed up to be notified when pre-orders were going to be accepted. Many, many, many months ago. But I've never gotten a message directly about these delays. I always have to find out about it by going to the web page on the day I should be able to order and finding out it has been delayed again.

I don't have a lot of confidence that I'll be notified when the status changes. There has been no talk of likely pricing.

I want the product. I can't see spending $$$$ on an electric bike (that is very likely difficult or impossible to ride by pedal power) that I'd be afraid to leave out all day chained to a rack while I'm at work. I can see spending $$$ on this friction drive that I can carry into my workplace while I leave the crappy, easily replaced bicycle (that is rideable without the drive) outside.

Brian

I signed up to be notified when pre-orders were going to be accepted. Many, many, many months ago. But I've never gotten a message directly about these delays. I always have to find out about it by going to the web page on the day I should be able to order and finding out it has been delayed again.

I don't have a lot of confidence that I'll be notified when the status changes. There has been no talk of likely pricing.

I want the product. I can't see spending $$$$ on an electric bike (that is very likely difficult or impossible to ride by pedal power) that I'd be afraid to leave out all day chained to a rack while I'm at work. I can see spending $$$ on this friction drive that I can carry into my workplace while I leave the crappy, easily replaced bicycle (that is rideable without the drive) outside.

Brian
Yeah, for me it is worth waiting for as it fits my needs perfectly. Oh well, once we have them the looong wait will disappear from memory (at atleast it has with other delayed crowdfunded stuff I've ordered).

Totally agree. I have a bicycle I really like, and would love to add assist to it without affecting it's basic goodness. All of the e-bikes I've ridden (including mine) just weren't really excellent bicycles, and for 3x - 4x the money of a really good pedal bike. It's been such a long wait, and I really hope the end product makes the delay worthwhile. Hopefully we'll know before the month is out!

And yet another update from Jeff. They are still improving, but the shipping now looks like July at the earliest:

Hello ShareRoller Indiegogo backer:

We promise we truly did set out to write a 'quick' Update many, many days ago, but brevity just doesn't seem to be something we're good at... thus we present the Update below:

1) Delivery Timing Update
2) Wireless Throttle Challenges
3) Wireless Throttle Breakthrough(!)
4) Wireless PAS Reveal
5) SR4+Throttle+PAS Combined
6) Photo/Video Shoots, Website Update, & Pre-Orders:

1) Delivery Timing Update

The finish line is in sight, but unfortunately we've encountered another incremental delay with our battery packs. Our supplier determined that we needed a separate molded rubber cap for our magnetic power connector to ensure a waterproof seal (the cap previously had been molded out of plastic which proved inadequate in testing). And as is the case with anything molded, this necessitated a week or so of design revision and then 3 weeks+ of mold tooling (and of course more expense..).

So instead of shipping us the samples in late April for approval, they now expect to ship them to us sometime next week. This means pack production and UN38.3 testing can't start for at least another two weeks, which means it will be the end of the month before we will have any production packs to start shipping, and probably early July before we get them all.

2) Wireless Throttle Challenges

To add insult to injury, we also discovered last month that our wireless throttle supplier was having issues completing FCC certification of their remotes and would not be able to deliver our certified production order in a timely fashion(!) BUT, this actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as this was the only SR4 component we had not designed completely in-house, and as a result it never had all the functionality we desired OR the form factor that would be ideal...

3) Wireless Throttle Breakthrough(!)

Fortunately, while developing our Wireless PAS sensor earlier this year, we implemented a wireless system architecture that we realized could also be used for a Wireless Throttle system. AND, this wireless system allows TWO-WAY communication (the old throttles could only send data, not receive it) which opens up some very cool functionality adds (see below). So we took the plunge, and in a mad sprint we designed, built, and tested an entirely new and much improved wireless Throttle over literally the past month(!)

Form Factor & Mounting:

One big improvement to the form factor came about because our new Wireless PAS sensor enabled throttle-free SR4 use on bikeshare, meaning we no longer needed the bulky spring clamp to mount the Wireless Throttle to bikeshare handlebars. So without the spring clamp, we were able to make the Wireless Throttle MUCH smaller (about the size of a luxury car key), and much sleeker.

For regular bike and scooter mounting, we chose to use the commonly available CatEye quick-release handlebar mount ecosystem to attach our new Wireless Throttle to the bars. The CatEye mount is a tiny bracket that is highly flexible in mounting location/position, and enables a fast and easy install/remove of the Wireless Throttle. Plus the brackets are quite inexpensive so it's easy to add one to all your bikes and scooters. Take a look at CatEye's 1602194 'Flex-Tight' bracket or the 1602980 'Zip-Tie' handlebar bracket to see what we mean. You can find them at many online retailers for $5-10 and we expect to have them in-stock ourselves soon. And we'll of course include at least one mount with each Throttle.

So the new Wireless Throttle is a lot smaller and very easy to quickly install or remove on any bike or scooter - it literally snaps on or off in about a second. And we'll have an adaptor that lets you use it on bikeshare too for those that really like Throttle control. Now, how about that vastly improved functionality...

Functionality:

First off, instead of a Single-axis joystick, we've upgraded to a Two-axis joystick that enables easier control over PAS/TailWind levels (+/0) and Throttle/Brake application.

Second, we've added more buttons (3 vs 2) to allow enhanced functionality, and the possibility of a quasi-menu system down the road...

AND

(drum roll please)

We've managed to squeeze in a 0.96in 128x64 OLED Display! How's that for an upgrade!?

Now, the SR4 Phone App is certainly awesome, and shows TONS of info while also providing TONS of functionality. It's definitely the most comprehensive and useful 'Dashboard' possible for ShareRoller, outside of a laptop of course (and trust us from early testing, you DO NOT want to use a laptop while riding a bike!). But let's face it, not all of us want to mount a $700 smartphone to our bike or scooter handlebars, or not all the time at least!

But a tiny display in the throttle itself? Perfect. Now of course a 0.96in display is too small to show everything, so we carefully packed in 6 critical pieces of information that you really want while riding:

1) PAS / TailWind Power Level: If you're not using Throttle control for power, this is the key figure to know how much power ShareRoller is adding to your ride

2) Main Battery Charge %: Probably the single most important piece of info when riding: how much longer do I have before the battery runs out?!

3) Throttle Battery Charge %: We've equipped both of our wireless peripherals with high-capacity batteries, and they should last for many ride sessions on one charge. But you'd probably like to know that you're not about to lose your Throttle controller mid-ride!

4) PAS Battery Charge %: Same as above, and since the PAS Sensor is pretty hard to watch while riding (plus it doesn't have a display and relies on a single RGB LED to communicate status), having this figure on your Throttle display is a big help.

5) Speed: Since the days of the first bike computers, this was always a must-have... and since you'll be riding much FASTER with SR4, it's lots of fun to watch.

6) Distance: And of course you'll be going FURTHER with ShareRoller too. Now you'll always know how much.

And now for some images of this amazing new Wireless Throttle (the two buttons are above and below the joystick, and the third button is the joystick itself, which can be pressed down as well as moved in two axes):

muoqmhopJBXFlo4q90RYvcmYAHD8FY1THZKvoLHMqxbtYmwbT2Igqn7_azUFX0gJRtMY8p0iODboxoIMEqjje5HieIy6rnnVrSmWN7nWQ2rl9ftRgY6cumDF9ynfhjOAtlghLg1yD2-0Z7cu7yCIud_qXw=s0-d-e1-ft

One more thing, it's also reversible for right or left hand operation, or can be used in vertical orientation if desired (plus, the screen rotates automatically!). And rest assured, everything is waterproof, including the exposed USB-Micro port you see above.
We'll send some photos of how this looks on various bikes and scooters soon.

4) Wireless PAS Reveal

Now onto the Wireless PAS that we revealed in the last Update. We've been using it extensively on both regular bikes and bikeshare, and can report that it is pretty magical. Fitting it on the bikeshare bikes presented a real challenge, as there is VERY little clearance between the pedal end of the crank and the bike frame/fairing. So we made the sensor VERY thin and designed it to not protrude past the end of the crank. Here are some nice renders to give you a much clearer idea of how it looks:

FXiWCdqL3Blt3bdU40ROpc0o5hSyAGaAiZLT4m2Q27MCfvuEqxF1BQJkJ0jmOB1LH0KHKTOabrh9l69CCq8RY51oc7IXBXfZJ1CzenpVtTF-0mAQ2wQHTstK3NSjTiQOm_gO-I-Uxv-TLuVsxYQ=s0-d-e1-ft

The sensor is very light, and the magnetic hold is quite secure on most bikes, but if your crank design (or riding style) requires a bit more security, there are two tabs for easily looping a rubber band around the crank arm.

5) SR4+Throttle+PAS Combined

And now for the best part - both our Wireless PAS and Wireless Throttle fit perfectly in the assembled SR4 for transport (and easily snap in place magnetically). Take a look below:

s6_bOesNFkizLcZWViIOBzap9Lzz7n-8wb2yJDt7vnr8Q_d2R5_j0oAJ01OeB-jiz7jX3v2GXlJN6-iJ_6VzRypMRMBDRN23i94tM7ekIJpuuXVsTrbpmuh9E5QWnpsM24dLxtcuaHQ7_ns=s0-d-e1-ft

It's a lot tidier package than with our old throttle / spring-clamp combo, so we're really happy that this last minute change was required. And we really hope you're as pleased with the upgrade as we are!

6) Photo/Video Shoots, Website Update, & Pre-Orders: As you can imagine, the re-design of the Wireless Throttle put our re-launch on hold. But we're marching down that path again, so look for all that to happen in a few more weeks.

We know Summer is here and the desire to have your ShareRollers ASAP is surely off-the-charts. Please understand that we continue to push with the utmost urgency and are doing anything and everything we can. We sincerely hope we don't encounter any more negative surprises and that the next email will be to confirm final accessory orders and shipping addresses.

Thank you again for your patience and support.

Jeff Guida & The ShareRoller Team

The part of that I was really happy to read was about the throttle mount. I did not like the rabbitty click thing. I was going to try to make my own mount using the rubber band style light mount I had - and Jeff did that for me! My wireless computer uses the cat-eye flex mount and I absolutely LOVE it - it's rock solid and can mount on stem, bars, anywhere. I also LOVE the display because I don't ride with my phone mounted on my bike (it just is begging to get mugged!) but instead keep it in my pack and use bluetooth headphones. So that solves two issues I was going to have. I really hope he makes the July deadline now; my summer weather is pretty much all year but I know a lot of folks actually have real winter. I'm good if he ships by end of July, any later will give a lot of folks a short window to use it. Hopefully, he'll send the email with mount and accessory options out several weeks before he's ready to ship - it might require some thinking about what I want and how to use my backer credit so I'd like to not have to decide in just a few days.

All these changes look good to me, but one thing is not mentioned: how will the wireless units get recharged, and how often will that need to happen? The PAS sensor looks cool (and very innovative) but how much battery could those tiny units contain?

All these changes look good to me, but one thing is not mentioned: how will the wireless units get recharged, and how often will that need to happen? The PAS sensor looks cool (and very innovative) but how much battery could those tiny units contain?
For comparison sake, my wireless cateye claims an 8 hour battery but I usually get around 4-5 hours in reality. I charge my bike computer every night (topping off is good) along with my various other electronics. However, charging the throttle should not be a problem as the SR battery has a charging port and you can run a cable to the throttle if needed while you are riding. Charging the PAS while riding otoh, would be difficult, so hopefully the battery capacity and draw on that unit will at least last a full day. Perhaps Jeff is using something dissimilar to a typical bike computer battery with more capacity? I suppose, if the PAS sensors are inexpensive then one could purchase two if they anticipate extremely long rides ( like a century).

Predicted July missive from Jeff: "Unfortunately, our rangfoozler supplier recently noticed a 2% increase in water penetration. We have completely redesigned the entire rangfoozler assembly. With new molds, testing of the re-designed rangfoozler, etc., we estimate a one month delay from our previous estimate of the delivery date. Thank you for your continued support."

Predicted July response by Lin B: "I was quite pleased about the new and improved rangfoozler. I had been worried about the rangfoozler all this time. I will be fine if we get delivery by the fall riding season. Delays like this are common to all crowdfunded projects, so we should count ourselves lucky. Everyone knew and expected this to happen. That is understood when you send money to someone for something like this."

Predicted July post by Allie Miller: "Is Lin B really Jeff Guida or one of the Shareroller staff? How does Lin B have what seems to be insider knowledge about Shareroller? Or is Lin B simply a PR consultant--everything has a positive spin on it, after all. Problems are minimized, future benefits extolled. Still, after all of this silliness, I do want to own a Shareroller."

Back