Schwalbe Johnny Watts (and other Schwalbe SUV tyres) User Club

yea didn't look like a puncture. LBS said the sidewall was poor. I dunno maybe something hit it but I was on a very short trip (2blocks) and the flat was after I parked the bike.

interesting!

as a rider of a high speed ebike and owner of almost all schwalbe ties (rocket rons, magic mary, johnny watts, cargo, both the new super moto and super moto x and others) and i ride in all terrains, the only tire that left me high and dry was super moto x and was caused by glass on the shoulder
20190413_164851.jpg

already have johnny watts 2.6 and smart sams 2.6, just ordered a pair of JW 2.8 for only 41 ea off chain reaction

chain reaction has been the source of many tire purchases as they have clearance sales all the time

Rolling resistance isn't issue on ebike unless long distance touring. For general riding comfort is far more important, that's where JW compliance and volume make big difference. For any tire less rolling resistance and comfort is at max pressure.

i beg to differ, if you are looking to go faster or extend the runtime of your battery, RR is *very* important and agree that tire pressure is often overlooked as a simple way to increase/decrease RR

thinking about going with the Schwalbe Pickups 27.5x2.3. Anyone try them? if they don't work out well moving to contis.
i have the 2.5 on an ebike and they are very similar to super moto x tread-wise ...very thick, rated to 50mph so one you will have confidence no matter what terrain
20220703_113330.jpg

The earlier version of the super moto x had decidedly more rolling resistance. I am not sure about the updated version.

the updated version is just called "super moto", could not find them for sale in the US, had to import them
total redesign, super slick, with a "thick padded" tread, once they are filled with air they look less bulbous, to me, they are faster and thicker than the x
20220703_113414.jpg

The new Super Motos look like they would be positively dangerous on wet pavement. I am keen on the Hurricanes for both on and off road. They have low rolling resistance, decent protection, good durability and are quite good in rainy, wet conditions. I find Johnny Watts a good option for ebikes.

The new Super Motos look like they would be positively dangerous on wet pavement. I am keen on the Hurricanes for both on and off road. They have low rolling resistance, decent protection, good durability and are quite good in rainy, wet conditions. I find Johnny Watts a good option for ebikes.

have a high torque ebike, i don't ride much on wet pavement

these light tires are so much fun when dry, have been running these 2.50 maxxis hookworms on fsa sl-k CF rims, good for battery life and speed, but gotta stay on hardpack

had a couple of moments on sand where it went sideways briefly

using my smart sams 2.6 until my johnny watts 2.80 arrive

Attachments

• 20220530_122637.jpg
    20220530_122637.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 217
I was able to get one 2.3 for $27 so I got one on the back and a JW on the front. I have no issues so far
Before JW all round, ran Big Ben on rear and Maxis CrossMark on front. Good compromise between rolling resist and offroad grip in dry, I may yet go back to it for touring but use JW on front. NB 12000kms between all these tyres and only one puncture from large piece of metal in BB. When removing BBs, found lots of cuts and pieces of glass in them.

New All Grounder, slightly less aggressive alternative to JW. Would be good rear with JW on front.

nice! will probably try the 2.6

Hi All: Considering running Jonny Watt's 2.6 on 622- 42 rims on my fatbike for the GDMBR next summer. I tend to run lower tire pressures than most everyone else. Right now I have a set of G One All Round 2.35's on the bike running 24 psi front and 26 psi rear.
Is there anyone out there with high mileage on the JW's yet. Looking to get 3,000 miles or 5,000 Km out of them but I could always replace them part way.

Hi All: Considering running Jonny Watt's 2.6 on 622- 42 rims on my fatbike for the GDMBR next summer. I tend to run lower tire pressures than most everyone else. Right now I have a set of G One All Round 2.35's on the bike running 24 psi front and 26 psi rear.
Is there anyone out there with high mileage on the JW's yet. Looking to get 3,000 miles or 5,000 Km out of them but I could always replace them part way.
Mine are holding up well, should get 2500-3000 on rear. Probably rotate them before then.
Had my first puncture in ages, nice to discover it on saturday morning from friday commute and have whole weekend to sort it. Was sliver of sharp metal.

I have JW 2.80s on my Hydra mountain bike and so far, after 100 kms of trail and pavement riding, I've been happy with their performance.
I was looking for a tire that could get me to the trails and perform decently when riding those trails and it looks like JWs do both well enough for the way I ride.

I have JW 2.80s on my Hydra mountain bike and so far, after 100 kms of trail and pavement riding, I've been happy with their performance.
I was looking for a tire that could get me to the trails and perform decently when riding those trails and it looks like JWs do both well enough for the way I ride.
I just got some Continental Rubans and am hoping they do well in this regard.

I have about 2400 miles on these 2.35 JW's. I don't anticipate having to think about replacing them for another 1000 miles.

Probably should have rotated them somewhere between 1500-2000 by the looks of things. The minimum tread in the rear at the centerline is a little over 1 penny thick, call it 1.75mm. On the front it's a little under 2 pennies thick, call it 2.75mm. I have no idea what it was when they were new.

FWIW, the only flat I've had was from a large piece of metal embedded in the tread about a week after I put them on.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 190
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 193
Just let me say a pair of 27.5x2.6 Johnny Watts was ridden by my brother on his Giant Trance E+ for 7,900 km (4,910 mi), and there is still a lot of life in the rubbers. The original tread was 4 mm high, and it is 3 mm high now.

1500 miles with JW on my Hydra and the back tread is starting to show signs of wear. Probably should rotate them but I'm pretty lazy when it comes to that stuff and probably just wait it out and replace when necessary.

Back