RV owner looking for two folding bikes.

I'd pay $799 for a Fiildo folder if they were shipping off a website, but will never be throwing money at an Indiegogo circus.

Our folders will fit unfolded in a 8 passenger minivan if the third seat is folded down. The seats are removed and the steerers are folded. When we got to our rented condo, all the luggage moves to the room, and it's easy to to drive to biking spots. With the batteries off, seat pots removed, our bikes are like 30-33 pounds. When you travel in January, you don't want the bike on a rack.

Mine are custom conversions though, intended to be light. Mamapapa, the OP, will just have to see what they have for sale at the ebike shops. The Qualisportrs models have seat tube batteries like the Fiildo.

P1100184.JPG

She said they want to put them in the back of their SUV.
If I did that with any frequency I would have herniated disks. ;)

I load my full-size bikes in the back of the truck as well - you only have to lift half the bike at a time. And no reaching. The act of picking up 65lbs and then lifting it over a trunk apron or into a vehicle definitely takes some back strength. Just a word of caution to try it, make sure it's do-able, with whatever bikes you choose.

I've always said, if I had a RV boat or aircraft, and they had to fit into a compartment, a folder might be an option. Otherwise they hold zero interest for me. JMHO. I don't even consider them 'real bikes'. LOL Some of them are cute though, and look fun for tootling around. A lot of people are happy with that. If you're going to put lots of miles on a bike it makes a difference what you choose.

For me, I would put a hitch rack on that suv and put a couple of real bikes on there - like a rover and a city. Or some such.

We are considering that as well. Don't you still have to lift them onto the rack?

We are considering that as well. Don't you still have to lift them onto the rack?
Hello . Trying to link to an advert for a full size mech bike

Not an electric, not light either but full sized wheels and stows in a trunk.
Checkout Brompton for small folders and their ekits.

You do still have to lift them on to racks but it tends to be lower and you can put one wheel at a time on the racks so in theory lifting half the weight each lift...

but that reminds me there is a new motorized bike lift so if that is an issue it may work

going to try and find that thread or a link to it

The Motow

if I had to go back to using a rack often on a truck etc. I would probably get one of these

OK so at the risk of thread hi jacking I've a similar question to the OP, although we’re both 5’8” < 175lb.

I haven’t ridden in 25 years partner hasn’t ridden in 40 years so call us biking novices. Looking for 2 ebikes (post covid), we’re thinking folding so we have more storage options with an RV. I’m sort of thinking something like the Rad Mini or Blix Vika+ but I’m torn.

The Rad has some nice novice features (front suspension, cushy seat, fat tires, bigger brakes) but I’m not sure the twist throttle is good idea for a novice in a panic situation. Plus it’s heavy. Does the stability of the fat tires outweigh their overhead on pavement?

The Blix is a bit lighter, safer(?) throttle but narrow handlebars might be unsuitable for a novice rider? It’s got more accessories & colours.

Delivery in Canada is easier for Rad and I can test drive one if I’m willing to drive 2 hours.

Thoughts?

These are all great questions

Being someone who got back into bicycling after 30 years I found the throttles to be very helpful

I used them a lot in the beginning so I could focus on balance especially off road, narrow areas etc.

that being said not all throttles are programmed the same and some of them can kind of be off on, best to test ride each bike to check that feature, this is also true of pedal assist, it can be very off on

I would not let the presence of throttle sway me one way or another if I found a bike that I liked

a lot of bikes have a button where you can turn it off or it’s very easy to unplug them right there at the handle bar or remove it if you want

On the question of fat tires, I have owned several and think they are more stable especially for novice riders
But the trade-off is they are very heavy, makes them a pain to load in anything or put on the bike rack and can make them more unwieldy if you do lose your balance to catch the bike and correct it

loading issues can be alleviated some what with ramps, two people lifting
saw where some people were folding up their rad minis and putting them in a big Rubbermaid tub but I still think that would take two people to lift easily to put in the RV etc.

I just ordered a 3 inch tire folder that is lighter, it has a mid drive with no throttle
over the next week or so I am going to try and do a review on it in the folding bike category

hoping this bike hits things down the middle and is pretty stable but not terrible to lift

it is the electric bike folder on the bikesdirect.com

Motobecane EF3 I think is the name of it

These are all great questions
Being someone who got back into bicycling after 30 years I found the throttles to be very helpful
I used them a lot in the beginning so I could focus on balance especially off road, narrow areas etc.

I just ordered a 3 inch tire folder that is lighter, it has a mid drive with no throttle
over the next week or so I am going to try and do a review on it in the folding bike category
hoping this bike hits things down the middle and is pretty stable but not terrible to lift
it is the electric bike folder on the bikesdirect.com
Motobecane EF3 I think is the name of it

Congrats on your new folder... the Moto EF3 is a great deal for a Shimano mid-drive with hydraulic brakes. ;)

Here is the link for those who are interested in the 2020 Motobecane Electric EF3 Folding eBike... $1599

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products...icycles/ebikes-electric-folding-bikes-ef3.htm
  • Shimano STEPS Electric MidDrive
  • Advanced Lithium-Ion Battery
  • 3" Tires Ride Nearly anywhere
  • Integrated rear rack and battery
  • Light/Strong Double Wall Rims
  • Advanced Hydroformed Frame
  • Shimano Hydraulic Disc Brakes

1593203654671.png

Last edited:
I would not let the presence of throttle sway me one way or another if I found a bike that I liked

Thanks for the insights Vincent. It wasn't the throttle in itself that was my concern but the twist throttle vs. the thumb. I'm worried that in a panic situation one of us might death-grip the handlebar twist throttle when we should be letting go of the power.

Well it is easy to change a twist to a thumb throttle, there are plenty of clip on or Velcro on adapters to change it to thumb

also on most of the hub bikes and some mid drives the brakes cut power to the motor, I always ride with two fingers on the brakes so if you squeeze either brake would not matter if you twist the throttle all the way or not
Hope that helps

Congrats on your new folder... the Moto EF3 is a great deal for a Shimano mid-drive with hydraulic brakes. ;)

Here is the link for those who are interested in the 2020 Motobecane Electric EF3 Folding eBike... $1599

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products...icycles/ebikes-electric-folding-bikes-ef3.htm
  • Shimano STEPS Electric MidDrive
  • Advanced Lithium-Ion Battery
  • 3" Tires Ride Nearly anywhere
  • Integrated rear rack and battery
  • Light/Strong Double Wall Rims
  • Advanced Hydroformed Frame
  • Shimano Hydraulic Disc Brakes

View attachment 56812
The bike is ugly but specs are very handsome especially considering price tag.

I don’t mind the battery in the rack like that so much on this bike because it has a specific purpose for me and I want a battery that is easy and quick to remove for making it lighter when I am folding it up and lifting it in a bag

also I have to worry about the heat here so I take the batteries out of the bikes a lot and take them in the house, the folders where the batteries are inside the frame and you have to fold it to get them out that is a way bigger hassle

This bike I can leave on the car rack under the car shade but pull the battery and take it inside easily

I am definitely somebody who is function over form so don’t care much what it looks like

I realize the tern etc. have external and easy to remove batteries also

I don’t mind the battery in the rack like that so much on this bike because it has a specific purpose for me and I want a battery that is easy and quick to remove for making it lighter when I am folding it up and lifting it in a bag

also I have to worry about the heat here so I take the batteries out of the bikes a lot and take them in the house, the folders where the batteries are inside the frame and you have to fold it to get them out that is a way bigger hassle

This bike I can leave on the car rack under the car shade but pull the battery and take it inside easily

I am definitely somebody who is function over form so don’t care much what it looks like

I realize the tern etc. have external and easy to remove batteries also
Drop in some pics from your first trip with the bike, please. My wife and I looked into those just b/c middrive folders seem rare. Ended up with conventional frame bikes that take twice the space to transport.

Back