for once in my life I had the power to say no. or at least my wife did.

fooferdoggie

we dont drive and we take the bus down to the coast the Amtrak bus. but we have walked everywhere we can handle but its pretty limited. the rentals down there are only this heavy 7 speed and the last time we tried it would not even shift. I had to shift it manually to the gear we wanted. We asked the Amtrak bus driver if we could take the tandem on and he said yes but I would worry coming back a driver said no. or even getting a 70 to 80 pound tandem into the cargo hold.
well I have been looking for a bike Friday tandem see here https://bikefriday.com/product/bike-friday-tandem-twosday-folding-travel-bike
found two locally and I had some money. but the high end one may have been too small and I would have had to fully disassemble it to get it in the case.
the other is older but in great shape with two cases though not the trailer version of the cases. what I had envisioned is to tow the trailer to the light rail then to the bus station put it under get to seaside assemble it and ride. we would have to lock it up for hours when we were on the beach but that could be dealt with.
but when we got there they did not know it could fold and not be taken apart for the most part and I forgot to watch the video. but that got me thinking about it. we tried a test ride but their roads were all torn up and gravel and the toe clips would not fit our feet and the drop bars were way to far forward and it was a weird ride what little we managed. Plus we are used to not having the pedals locked together so thats another thing. with some work and practice it could work but I realized once I saw the video how it folds it would still be a hassle. either we ride it 10 miles to the bus and then fold it into the bag then unfold it ride maybe 20 or 30 miles lock it so we can do stuff fold it up get off the bus and ride home. but since this is not a e tandem and we are always tired after a day at the beach not sure we could do it. we could carry the back the 3/4" to the light rail each way but not sure how practical that would be.
plus I realized I have to wear padded shorts for all the rides and its not practical to change them when we get to the beach or just a hassle. you cant walk a long ways in padded shorts.
though the people offered it for 1000 I would have bought it but I don't have room to store it unfolded. I would need to get a new riser they are all one piece and go to straight bars. but that means new brake levers and it has bar end shifters it actually has 3 shifters it has a two speed rear hub and regular front and back shifting and a lever for the drag brake. so how much would that cost to change over? plus new brake pads new seats new peddles a tool bag and tools and such. so finally said cant do it.
Bus it would take a few weeks of riding to really get used to it and feel ok for away from home rides.

we dont drive and we take the bus down to the coast the Amtrak bus. but we have walked everywhere we can handle but its pretty limited. the rentals down there are only this heavy 7 speed and the last time we tried it would not even shift. I had to shift it manually to the gear we wanted. We asked the Amtrak bus driver if we could take the tandem on and he said yes but I would worry coming back a driver said no. or even getting a 70 to 80 pound tandem into the cargo hold.
well I have been looking for a bike Friday tandem see here https://bikefriday.com/product/bike-friday-tandem-twosday-folding-travel-bike
found two locally and I had some money. but the high end one may have been too small and I would have had to fully disassemble it to get it in the case.
the other is older but in great shape with two cases though not the trailer version of the cases. what I had envisioned is to tow the trailer to the light rail then to the bus station put it under get to seaside assemble it and ride. we would have to lock it up for hours when we were on the beach but that could be dealt with.
but when we got there they did not know it could fold and not be taken apart for the most part and I forgot to watch the video. but that got me thinking about it. we tried a test ride but their roads were all torn up and gravel and the toe clips would not fit our feet and the drop bars were way to far forward and it was a weird ride what little we managed. Plus we are used to not having the pedals locked together so thats another thing. with some work and practice it could work but I realized once I saw the video how it folds it would still be a hassle. either we ride it 10 miles to the bus and then fold it into the bag then unfold it ride maybe 20 or 30 miles lock it so we can do stuff fold it up get off the bus and ride home. but since this is not a e tandem and we are always tired after a day at the beach not sure we could do it. we could carry the back the 3/4" to the light rail each way but not sure how practical that would be.
plus I realized I have to wear padded shorts for all the rides and its not practical to change them when we get to the beach or just a hassle. you cant walk a long ways in padded shorts.
though the people offered it for 1000 I would have bought it but I don't have room to store it unfolded. I would need to get a new riser they are all one piece and go to straight bars. but that means new brake levers and it has bar end shifters it actually has 3 shifters it has a two speed rear hub and regular front and back shifting and a lever for the drag brake. so how much would that cost to change over? plus new brake pads new seats new peddles a tool bag and tools and such. so finally said cant do it.
Bus it would take a few weeks of riding to really get used to it and feel ok for away from home rides.
Jusr following this ...

also it would be a limited use bike for trips we dont do often or maybe more with it? so thats part of it too. plus maintenance on another bike. but it could be a fun bike too who knows? I am going to contact bike Friday see if there are any rentals out there.

Bike Friday makes some pretty likable bikes but they aren't really folding bikes. More like bikes you can easily break down and reassemble with a few tools.

I always did like the trailer system though.

Back