Going on my first out of town trip away from home.

fooferdoggie

Since the wife and I dont drive She is blind so that helps to keep accidents lower.
She is at her moms She usually goes in the winter and am stuck at home as usual. I have been wanting to go to the ocean with my bike. I wanted to take the tandem but we are not use getting it onto the Amtrak bus. it's like 75 miles way. I can ride my bike or better yet take the light rail to the bus (so I dont waste energy) ride the bus down to Astoria explore and ride to seaside 17 miles way. explore along the coast . ride 42 miles to cannon beach. I can go more inland with 1800 feet of climbing over 30 miles but I want to explore the coast more.
its my trek and its all in good working order just put new brake pads the chain has at least 100 more miles on it. tires are these somewhat delicate tubules tires but have been Fien all summer and I just added more flat out after my first real leak. got my tools and tube and C02 all the stuff I always carry for my commute. but is going to be a bit strange being that far from home. I have AAA pickup service and there are bike shops down there. got to dress for changing weather. I can take another battery to my work and leave it there if I need to ride home since the train station is only a mile away. it just depends on how long I have to wait for a train back.
I have been waiting to explore down there more than we can do on foot. rather not do it by myself but thats the only real opting at least at first.
so far I have not been more then 25 miles way from my house on my bike.
Screenshot 2023-09-07 at 7.40.27 PM.png

Last edited:
Have a great trip! Don't know the bike infrastructure involved, but riding from Astoria to Cannon Beach sounds fantastic!

20190913_130132.jpg

20190913_124140.jpg

20190913_124336.jpg

If you haven't visited the Astoria Maritime Museum at the Coast Guard wharf, highly recommended.

20190913_130106.jpg

20190913_123849.jpg

And not just for the museum. The Coast Guard has some very cool vessels, and the wharf is open to the public. Got a very close look at many different kinds as we walked the wharf.

20230907_201744.jpg

Some of the most dangerous coastal waters anywhere are nearby at the mouth of the Columbia River, here seen beyond the famous Astoria Bridge from a hilltop park in Astoria. The very well-done museum is mostly about the rich maritime history in these waters. What calamities and daring rescues! A real tribute to the US Coast Guard and the great skill and courage of its crews.

20190914_102820.jpg

These photos are all from a road trip in 2019. For anyone unfamiliar with the incomparable Oregon coast, this shot was taken a little south of Cannon Beach.

Last edited:
I would rather ride with my wife than I can tell her what's going on. I can choose many roads except from seaside to cannon beach. but I have ridden that route on the bus many times so I may not do it I will decide at the time. not too interested in going dow the sea as we do that every time we go. the beaches for the most part are pretty plain not even many tide pools.

Since the wife and I dont drive She is blind so that helps to keep accidents lower.
She is at her moms She usually goes in the winter and am stuck at home as usual. I have been wanting to go to the ocean with my bike. I wanted to take the tandem but we are not use getting it onto the Amtrak bus. it's like 75 miles way. I can ride my bike or better yet take the light rail to the bus (so I dont waste energy) ride the bus down to Astoria explore and ride to seaside 17 miles way. explore along the coast . ride 42 miles to cannon beach. I can go more inland with 1800 feet of climbing over 30 miles but I want to explore the coast more.
its my trek and its all in good working order just put new brake pads the chain has at least 100 more miles on it. tires are these somewhat delicate tubules tires but have been Fien all summer and I just added more flat out after my first real leak. got my tools and tube and C02 all the stuff I always carry for my commute. but is going to be a bit strange being that far from home. I have AAA pickup service and there are bike shops down there. got to dress for changing weather. I can take another battery to my work and leave it there if I need to ride home since the train station is only a mile away. it just depends on how long I have to wait for a train back.
I have been waiting to explore down there more than we can do on foot. rather not do it by myself but thats the only real opting at least at first.
so far I have not been more then 25 miles way from my house on my bike.
View attachment 162165
Lewis and Clark.
I watched the Imax of their story on the proper screen, completely by myself.
It wasn't popular in the UK back then.
Oregon looks like my kind of place

Lewis and Clark.
I watched the Imax of their story on the proper screen, completely by myself.
It wasn't popular in the UK back then.
Oregon looks like my kind of place
seaside has their end of trail. where they made salt. we have the end of the Oregon trail about 6 miles from my house.
this will be the fun part. 2 miles over the water. at least signs telling about bikes as the bike lane ends.
Screenshot 2023-09-07 at 9.06.11 PM.png

Sounds like an awesome outing Foofer with plenty of places to explore. My kind of bike trip. Have fun! 👍

this will be the fun part. 2 miles over the water. at least signs telling about bikes as the bike lane ends.
Screenshot 2023-09-07 at 9.06.11 PM.png
A good chunk of that section looked like it had just been redone when we drove it last February. In better shape than the bridge across the Columbia from Astoria to WA.

PXL_20230220_211328462.jpg

If you go to the WA side, Dismal Nitch is just down the road to your right. Or you can turn left and end up in Cape Disappointment.

this is just a day trip get there around 1140 and catch the bus as 6 40 coming home. You cant really get to Washington on your bike there.

this is just a day trip get there around 1140 and catch the bus as 6 40 coming home. You cant really get to Washington on your bike there.
Best bet to get to Washington is to take the Westport ferry a few dozen miles east of Astoria. The Megler Bridge is heinous and scary on a bike (four shoulderless miles with heavy traffic and log trucks).

The 101 between Seaside and Cannon Beach has a very generous shoulder and there are some good pullouts on the way.

The Riverwalk trail in Astoria and the Warrenton Waterfront trail are both worthwhile and both kind of on your route.

If you can swing it during a low tide it is fun to ride along the beach from Fort Stevens to Gearhart. I say during low tide because it is very easy going on wet sand and much more difficult in the dry sand. Find some place to hose off your bike after you ride the beach! Also, if you are brave, have a really really low tide, and don't mind a bit of wading (and again have access to a hose at the end of your ride) you can do a similar thing S of Cannon Beach.

Got to seaside the long way 38 miles it’s only 17 the fast way. Went to fort stevens and the backroads. May his stay in seaside and do some.
Exploring on the back streets. I though I had to be in the city to see poop in the street.
IMG_2428.jpeg
IMG_2431.jpeg

A great ride! Hope all continues to go well. My wife and I just drove that exact route 2 weeks ago prior to a weeklong biking trip out of Bend and Sisters. We were surprised how few bikes we encountered on the 101, although car/truck traffic was never ending in both directions. Be safe! Seaside was our favorite town.

I avoided 101 as much as possible once I crossed the bridge. But somewhere around fort Stevens I don’t know if I missed something or ridewithgps had me go on a car only road. I will check when I get home. But I used apple mPs and it had me on the 101 a fair amount till I got close to gearhart then I went though the town and backroads to seaside. Got way overpriced tacos 62.00 for 12 tacos and a side of guacamole (no tortillas as I can’t eat them ). I burned an out 1200 calories and did 52 miles. On the bus back now and depending on the light rail I may ride home another 11 miles. Saw a bear guarding a bee hive
IMG_2441.jpeg
IMG_2437.jpeg
IMG_2435.jpeg
IMG_2422.jpeg

this is a record for me in one day 55 miles was the best. I still have some energy after riding 11 miles home at 10 pm. I think I would've gotten 75 miles range thats not bad really. I stopped at my shop and changed batteries as was not sure if I would need to crank up assist to make it home. my averages were a lot better till I got to seaside then I had to go much slower and lots of parts and stops.
IMG_2446.jpeg

IMG_2447.jpeg

60 miles is 3 days ride for me.
Trek ebike with Bosch engine sounds bulletproof.
I love those pics of Coast Guard boats 🚢 😍.
Okay here it is.
Did you know red hull is an ice breaker?
USCG boat's hull are color designated white ,black, or red. Red is the ice breaker.
that red is not the coastguard ship that one is white. that big round thing is a tide measuring device. found a snuggle bear lane thats a new one. the most I have done this year was 40 miles so thats a record only did 900 feet total 10 foot min and maybe 250 feet max. would have been more if I went to cannon beach.
IMG_2423.jpeg
IMG_2425.jpeg

Back