Rockstar owners

" high level of frustration with no answers, that's where the problem lies"

Under the circumstances they may not have the answers, the important thing is to keep us informed
[as best they can] the videos were great [keep them coming].

Looks like a great bike I can't wait......But it looks like I have to.

" high level of frustration with no answers, that's where the problem lies"

Under the circumstances they may not have the answers, the important thing is to keep us informed
[as best they can] the videos were great [keep them coming].

Looks like a great bike I can't wait......But it looks like I have to.
I am chalking this up to a lack of components for the Rockstars for the additional hold ups. The fact that Cruiser and LX have shipped and the Rockstar has not means they must be dealing with a shortage of a component specific to Rockstar. This basically takes the major components like battery and motor off the table as reasons for the delays so let's take a step back and see what is unique to the Rockstar.

1. Rear shock- I doubt this is the hold up. While unique to the Rockstar compared to the other 2 elites this is not a highly sought after component. It is only needed on full suspension bikes and while FS bikes are popular they certainly don't fit in to the majority.

2. Display- the Rockstar has a unique display that the other 2 bikes do not have. This display has to be CANbus compliant (Sondors Elite bikes are all CANbus) for Bafang so not a lot of competition from other bike makers as I have yet to see another manufacturer using Bafang Ultra with CANbus so this probably isn't it either.

3. Wheel/tire- the Rockstar uses a 27.5x3 wheel and tire combo. While this is unique to the Rockstar it is in no way a hard to come by part. So this probably isn't it either.

4. Derailleur- SRAM NX 11 speed. This is looking more and more like a popular setup for ebikes in general. And while I don't know much about what's popular amongst regular pedal bikes I'm going to venture a guess it is fairly popular with those bikes as well. It's also worth noting that Shimano and SRAM together hold a large market share and are both severely backordered. So why not the Shimano groupset in the other 2 bikes? My take is the 7 speed offered for LX and Cruiser is not as popular as the 11/12 speed groupsets both companies have on offer. My opinion is that this is the most likely hold up for the Rockstar right now.

5. Dropper post- like the rear suspension, I don't see overall demand exceeding availability. Dropper posts are most commonly found only on mountain bikes and there are several companies offering products.

6. Frame- all 3 bikes have different frames. It's possible however unlikely that there is an issue with the mass production of the FS frame for the Rockstar. I consider this unlikely because a FS frame is nothing new (yes it's new to Sondors but it's not Sondors who are making the frames).

I asked Sondors to confirm this and I have not heard back from them. I doubt they would be willing to disclose that information or at least it wouldn't be information their support staff would be given as talking points.

I'm not writing this to make excuses for Sondors. Their emails keep blaming everything on shipping at the ports and while that is true and is a contributing factor, it does nothing to explain why 1 of their 3 bikes is being pushed back by another 3 months. At the very least Sondors should just come out and say component xyz is the reason this bike is being delayed further. Transparency goes a long way when at this point everyone that has paid for, and not received a product is essentially an investor. And any investor should have the right to full disclosure.

Received this today... I have a Feb (original ship date) pre-order.. and am going to request a refund. They have had my money since Oct and have given me nothing (except their $50 Gift Card) for the use of my capital for 7 months. They have yet to deliver 1 of the Rockstars, they could easily fold and screw everyone that handed over $ to them. What happens when they miss the May commitment too?

Im curious what the first batch (Oct delivery) was pushed back to.

Hi Ryan,
We're writing you today to keep you up to date on the delivery estimate of your SONDORS Rockstar.
We've been unable to avoid the severe impact COVID-19 is having on the global shipping industry, as well as the unprecedented congestion issue at the Port of Los Angeles (read about it here).
And with the extreme, worldwide demand for high-end bike components, (read about it here) we're experiencing significant slowdowns within our supply chain. However, we're still finding ways to get everything required to finish your Rockstar...we're just needing more time to do it.
That said, everything is taking much longer than usual, and we're having to update the shipping estimate of your SONDORS Rockstar from the end of February to the end of May.
We understand this is a substantial delay, it is highly disappointing to all of us, and we are very sorry about that.
However the good news is since you already have your Rockstar on order, you won't be left empty handed if the issue worsens and electric bikes become even more difficult to obtain after June 2021.
As part of our apology for the setbacks, we will be sending you an electronic $50 gift card via email to use toward any purchase on SONDORS.com, and we will continue to keep you posted as we obtain new information on the current situation.
In the meantime, we want to keep you excited by giving you what you've been asking for –– our latest SONDORS Rockstar review.
Again, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience these delays may have caused, along with gratitude for your continued support and loyalty throughout these erratic times...
Thank you for being the best part of SONDORS!
My Cruiser wait has been an exercise in patience to say the least. I ordered it on 6/28/20 with an estimated shipping date of sometime in October of 2020. I should have it finally by the end of this month, well, hopefully. That will put it at 8 months from time of order and 4 months beyond what I assumed when it would ship. So, I really do feel your pain.

I've gotten numerous emails like this trying to explain the delays. I remember an email I got months ago that mentioned a delay due to tires. My initial reaction was what a bunch of BS but when I went looking for the Vee Tire 27.5x3.0 Speedster tires they are using on the Cruiser and I couldn't find one single vendor that had them in stock and that includes direct from Vee Tire. So, they didn't lie even though I thought they were. You still can't find this tire anywhere in stock. Trust me, I've been looking since I got the Cruiser in the Matte Black and am not too crazy about the whitewall stock tires and prefer the solid black tire like they are providing on the Phoenix Red version.

My whole point in writing what I have is that as others have pointed out bike components are in tight supply. And honestly, if you cancel your order you'll just probably end up on another wait list.

Last edited:
My Cruiser wait has been an exercise in patience to say the least. I ordered it on 6/28/20 with an estimated shipping date of sometime in October of 2020. I should have it finally by the end of this month, well, hopefully. That will put it at 8 months from time of order and 4 months beyond what I assumed when it would ship. So, I really do feel your pain.

I've gotten numerous emails like this trying to explain the delays. I remember an email I got months ago that mentioned a delay due to tires. My initial reaction was what a bunch of BS but when I went looking for the Vee Tire 27.5x3.0 Speedster tires they are using on the Cruiser and I couldn't find one single vendor that had them in stock and that includes direct from Vee Tire. So, they didn't lie even though I thought they were. You still can't find this tire anywhere in stock. Trust me, I've been looking since I got the Cruiser in the Matte Black and am not too crazy about the whitewall stock tires and prefer the solid black tire like they are providing on the Phoenix Red version.

My whole point in writing what I have is that as others have pointed out bike components are in tight supply. And honestly, if you cancel your order you'll just probably end up on another wait list.
Thank you for adding your experience. I was unaware of the circumstances surrounding those tires and that does make me rethink my own theory of writing off such a simple component like tires being a cause for delay. I feel like now I have to go back to the drawing board completely because I could be way off base with my assumptions. The only thing I am still sure about at this point is the delay is in no way related to the battery or motor.

I totally understand, no worries.

I do appreciate the updated theories. Last week I was given an estimated delivery date for the beginning of April for a Rockstar that was ordered on the 31rst of August last year.

I totally understand, no worries.

I do appreciate the updated theories. Last week I was given an estimated delivery date for the beginning of April for a Rockstar that was ordered on the 31rst of August last year.
Purchased LX 9/13/20 for "end of January". Now I'm confirmed for middle/end of February. There was a time in December where I very nearly cancelled but told myself that as long as I get the bike before the 50-60 degree days come back to NY, that I would muster up some more patience and wait it out. If I was told that it wasn't coming until beginning of April or end of May, that would be a deal breaker for me. I already had 2 bikes lined up to decide between as a replacement purchase (both of which are available for shipping within weeks). I commend your amount patience. Mine falls way short.

But first wave of LX shipped, I take it you were not on that list?
Sort of 2nd batch. Kind of a weird story. The original January estimate on their website back in September did not last long. In fact I remember by the time I was ready to order the page changed and said February with all 3 color options listed. After clicking around their website I stumbled on to an order page for January but the only color option was black. Since black was what I wanted I put the order in but did not expect the January ship date to stick on my order confirmation email. But it did and so somehow I found myself in some sort of in-between. Not batch 1 for October and not the "batch 2" which was always slated for February.

Maybe I am batch 2 and batch 3 was for February. Since Sondors has never really given any clear distinction aside from batch 1, I guess it's all up to interpretation.

What gets even more confusing was that at one point that first batch was delayed to January and yet my ship date still said January so that's when I started to get a little bothered and thought something might be wrong and considered cancelling my order.

Last edited:
I suspect when one gets their Elite line bicycle depends a lot on how many cancellations they receive.

One of the surprises on the video he points out the torque sensor is on the frame near the rear axle. My understanding was this motor has a built in torque sensor.

Good point on the gearing, especially the 11th gear. I wonder about the display. I hope it is as configurable as the LX model, especially with speed settings.

Rockstar cassette will be 11-42 spread with a 48t chainring.

Someone mentioned a podcast with Storm stating something about a "turbo boost" feature. Since that was not mentioned in the LX review I will venture a guess it may be unique to Rockstar. I can't remember if it was in this thread or the one located in the News and trending topics category.. there are one too many threads scattered about on here regarding these bikes

One of the surprises on the video he points out the torque sensor is on the frame near the rear axle. My understanding was this motor has a built in torque sensor.
He is wrong. The torque sensor is in the motor. That may be a shift interruption sensor?

The mechanic mentioned near the beginning of the video that he had to adjust the brakes. What’s to adjust, they are hydraulic? Maybe the position of the brake levers?

Rockstar cassette will be 11-42 spread with a 48t chainring.

Someone mentioned a podcast with Storm stating something about a "turbo boost" feature. Since that was not mentioned in the LX review I will venture a guess it may be unique to Rockstar. I can't remember if it was in this thread or the one located in the News and trending topics category.. there are one too many threads scattered about on here regarding these bikes
That was me, I was sent an email from Sonders on the 27th of January. I don't know how to paste a link to the page that
They sent me but I was able to do a search on Google to find it.
Just put in spikes car radio in the Search and a pod cast list will pop up. Then go to December 30th. He talks about the Rockstar in about the last 10 minutes.

Back