Rideability and comfort of 20" folder vs 26"

LBerg

Region
USA
Hi,

Thanks in advance for the help. I've spent a few weeks researching and have a few open questions. One is around folders

- 6ft 190lb

We have a house in one city and another a few hours away. I was just about ready to get a $800-1000 fat tire 500w. Then I realized that there was zero chance of hauling that with our SUV without a bike rack, which probably won't happen. Because of that I'm strongly considering a "folder" collapsible bike so I could bring it back and forth, or wherever.

1. I love comfort :). The foldable look a little awkward to me, although the videos show people zipping around just fine. I'm just wondering how much more I'd enjoy cruising around on a full size more traditional 26" fat tire.
I don't think I'll be doing much off-roading btw. Mostly a street cruiser for now.

Brand: If going with a folder, I seem to fall in the "not established but good value" brands. Lectric, Ecotric (Rad is a bit more but could possibly stretch, but want to start lower cost and adjust if it was worth it).

Thanks for the feedback.

LB

Not a folder fan, but a word on RAD bikes. Say something does go sideways with your plan and the folder doesn't work out. Now you want to get rid of the bike. With the RAD bikes being as popular as they are, I can't think of a bike I'd rather have for sale. From an easy sale standpoint, or from a value standpoint.....

You're talking about 20" fat tire folders. They're comfy enough. I have the 36V Ecotric, which cost me $700. It only has 3 level assist, so I would suggest the 48V Ecotric for $969 over my bike, or the $899 Lectric XP. The Radmini gets you better looks, larger battery, and suspension forks for $1499. I wouldn't spend that much for the same utility. A lot of Ecotric and Lectric XP owners that like to mod their bikes will upgrade to suspension forks. Around $100. You find many happy owners on all three bikes on the facebook interest groups.

You're talking about 20" fat tire folders. They're comfy enough. I have the 36V Ecotric, which cost me $700. It only has 3 level assist, so I would suggest the 48V Ecotric for $969 over my bike, or the $899 Lectric XP. The Radmini gets you better looks, larger battery, and suspension forks for $1499. I wouldn't spend that much for the same utility. A lot of Ecotric and Lectric XP owners that like to mod their bikes will upgrade to suspension forks. Around $100. You find many happy owners on all three bikes on the facebook interest groups.
Not a folder fan, but a word on RAD bikes. Say something does go sideways with your plan and the folder doesn't work out. Now you want to get rid of the bike. With the RAD bikes being as popular as they are, I can't think of a bike I'd rather have for sale. From an easy sale standpoint, or from a value standpoint.....

Thanks Hicks. Not a bad point. Hopefully it won't come to that, but it could.

Appreciate the feedback Harry. The Lectric bike ships in 4-6 weeks. Not sure if that should worry me because it's a rinky dink operation or if it's a sign of how popular they are. And agreed on (as of now) not finding enough extra value in the $1499. Safety would make spending that worth it, but from what I can tell the $800 vs $1500 don't seem to upgrade your safety.

I have two bikes, a mid-drive and a 20"x4" Spark Mini (percursor to the Rize Mini).

The mini is a LOT of fun, and pretty comfortable. I've lent it to a 6'1" friend for a few rides, and once he adjusted the seat and handlebar height, he loved it.

The one key question I'd ask is how far do you plan to ride the bike per charge? The Lectric XP's 10.4ah battery strikes me as a bit anemic for an afternoon out. Although they say "up to 45 miles" per charge, they're GROSSLY overestimating.

Rad advertises 45+ with its 14ah battery, which seems way more accurate to me, as I get about 46 out of my 13ah battery (200lb rider + 10lbs of stuff, warm weather, mostly flat riding with minimal throttle use).

I'd say that a realistic range, on a relatively flat ride with minimal/no throttle would be more like 30 miles per charge.

Leaning more on the throttle would lessen the range further. In city riding with frequent red lights (where I often use throttle), I'd estimate chopping another 10% off the range.

Hi,

Thanks in advance for the help. I've spent a few weeks researching and have a few open questions. One is around folders

- 6ft 190lb

We have a house in one city and another a few hours away. I was just about ready to get a $800-1000 fat tire 500w. Then I realized that there was zero chance of hauling that with our SUV without a bike rack, which probably won't happen. Because of that I'm strongly considering a "folder" collapsible bike so I could bring it back and forth, or wherever.

1. I love comfort :). The foldable look a little awkward to me, although the videos show people zipping around just fine. I'm just wondering how much more I'd enjoy cruising around on a full size more traditional 26" fat tire.
I don't think I'll be doing much off-roading btw. Mostly a street cruiser for now.

Brand: If going with a folder, I seem to fall in the "not established but good value" brands. Lectric, Ecotric (Rad is a bit more but could possibly stretch, but want to start lower cost and adjust if it was worth it).

Thanks for the feedback.

LB
Go rent a 20 incher and ride it for a hour or two, not just a quick spin around the parking lot, and you will learn a lot.

The XP accessories thread will tell you what other owners are doing with batteries, etc. Yes, 10.4Ah is small, but it's a 48V battery so you're still looking at 500WH. If you ride at bike path speeds under 14 mph, 40 miles seems quite reasonable to me.

I have two bikes, a mid-drive and a 20"x4" Spark Mini (percursor to the Rize Mini).

The mini is a LOT of fun, and pretty comfortable. I've lent it to a 6'1" friend for a few rides, and once he adjusted the seat and handlebar height, he loved it.

The one key question I'd ask is how far do you plan to ride the bike per charge? The Lectric XP's 10.4ah battery strikes me as a bit anemic for an afternoon out. Although they say "up to 45 miles" per charge, they're GROSSLY overestimating.

Rad advertises 45+ with its 14ah battery, which seems way more accurate to me, as I get about 46 out of my 13ah battery (200lb rider + 10lbs of stuff, warm weather, mostly flat riding with minimal throttle use).

I'd say that a realistic range, on a relatively flat ride with minimal/no throttle would be more like 30 miles per charge.

Leaning more on the throttle would lessen the range further. In city riding with frequent red lights (where I often use throttle), I'd estimate chopping another 10% off the range.
The XP accessories thread will tell you what other owners are doing with batteries, etc. Yes, 10.4Ah is small, but it's a 48V battery so you're still looking at 500WH. If you ride at bike path speeds under 14 mph, 40 miles seems quite reasonable to me.

Thank you both. Worth considering. I'll be doing many street driving, but plan on using the throttle extensively because of a knee issue. This is going to tax the battery dramatically more than a normal user would.

you need to find the best combination for comfort. it depends on the tires and the suspension

I am riding a 20" x 4" folder, it has 1500 miles on it now and not many problems have occurred.
I changed the seat but the rest has been comfortable enough to go for 30-mile rides, of 2-hour
durations. Not much off-road but no problems in the bike lanes. I have limited storage room and plan to travel by car and appreciate the small form that it can be reduced to. If the SUV will tote two bikes folded up inside it just might be what you need.

I am riding a 20" x 4" folder, it has 1500 miles on it now and not many problems have occurred.
I changed the seat but the rest has been comfortable enough to go for 30-mile rides, of 2-hour
durations. Not much off-road but no problems in the bike lanes. I have limited storage room and plan to travel by car and appreciate the small form that it can be reduced to. If the SUV will tote two bikes folded up inside it just might be what you need.
Thanks. Sounds like we have similar situations.

I bought a folder at the end of 2019 and rode it 800 miles in the year. I was happy enough with it, but it was more like a toy. Because I wanted more of a bike riding experience in January I completed a DIY project on a pretty newish "hybrid" bike (part road, part mountain). They both have hub drives. Both 500w motors and 48v batteries. But I enjoy riding the DIY bike much more. It's a real bike. I ride it like a real bike. I've got nearly 450 miles on it already.. I shift gears. I put effort into it. The 20" folding bike I rode like a motorcycle. No need to shift (7-gears) just pedal against nothing and go.

I'm glad I had the 20" folding bike. Without it I wouldn't have my DIY Specialized Crosstrail Sport electric. But I rode the folding bike last week and just knew I'll never go back to it.

If you want a fast folder bike..... I would consider a Luna Folder at Luna Cycle in California. I read that 30 MPH is realistic :)

I think there are a few full size folders. I think Sondors has at least one. I do not know how hard they may be to transport. Maybe you could also take off the front wheel of a larger bike and put it in the back of your vehicle for transport rather than get a rack. My daughter has an Lectric step thru with 20 inch fat tires and she likes it. It is heavy.

I bought a folder at the end of 2019 and rode it 800 miles in the year. I was happy enough with it, but it was more like a toy. Because I wanted more of a bike riding experience in January I completed a DIY project on a pretty newish "hybrid" bike (part road, part mountain). They both have hub drives. Both 500w motors and 48v batteries. But I enjoy riding the DIY bike much more. It's a real bike. I ride it like a real bike. I've got nearly 450 miles on it already.. I shift gears. I put effort into it. The 20" folding bike I rode like a motorcycle. No need to shift (7-gears) just pedal against nothing and go.

I'm glad I had the 20" folding bike. Without it I wouldn't have my DIY Specialized Crosstrail Sport electric. But I rode the folding bike last week and just knew I'll never go back to it.
Thanks. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the journey as well. Maybe with a larger bike vs DIY, but who knows.

If you want a fast folder bike..... I would consider a Luna Folder at Luna Cycle in California. I read that 30 MPH is realistic :)
Interesting - I'll check it out

I think there are a few full size folders. I think Sondors has at least one. I do not know how hard they may be to transport. Maybe you could also take off the front wheel of a larger bike and put it in the back of your vehicle for transport rather than get a rack. My daughter has an Lectric step thru with 20 inch fat tires and she likes it. It is heavy.
Never thought about the front wheel removal option. I'll measure. Thx These bikes being heavy isn't something I'm looking forward to, but I don't seem to see anything below 50lb in my price range. I'm guessing in the end it makes them safer to be heavy and more stable at high speeds.

These bikes being heavy isn't something I'm looking forward to, but I don't seem to see anything below 50lb in my price range.
My 20" wheel folding bike weighs over 50 lbs. You don't really save much weight, if any, by going the folding small wheel route. And once folded they are difficult to lift-maybe even more difficult.

Thanks. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the journey as well. Maybe with a larger bike vs DIY, but who knows.

Interesting - I'll check it out

Never thought about the front wheel removal option. I'll measure. Thx These bikes being heavy isn't something I'm looking forward to, but I don't seem to see anything below 50lb in my price range. I'm guessing in the end it makes them safer to be heavy and more stable at high speeds.
I bought a new Lectric XP and I bought my Daughter a 48 volt 20-inch folder eco tric( I wish now I would have swapped with Her,) I kept the XP a very short while and it seemed the battery went pretty fast, Anyway I sold the XP and hauled it 90 miles behind the front seat on my Nissan X-Cab, the bike became very compact in a hurry.In my experience it should not be difficult to haul the XP, the Ecotric seemed bigger and more robust for some reason, I saw those Eco Trics on sale for less than $800 this spring, people love the XP because of the speed it is capable of,I assume. The Ecotric is not as fast( it will sure climb though)

I have a Rad Rover and am now thinking about getting a Lectric 2.0 as a back up bike so I'm curious about the difference in the way they ride as well. I've always ridden from home so have never transported the Rover anywhere. The Lectric would be super easy to transport as it would easily fold up and fit in the back of my Kia Soul. I thought about this last year but rejected the idea as the Lectric had no front suspension. Now that they do it's back in my thoughts. I've no way to test ride one so was hoping someone might have some thoughts on this. They seem fairly similar regarding stuff like motor,PAS,brakes,and shifter.

Back