Ride1Up Ltd Upgrades that work

One is the Gold, the other the Silver.
RockShox Judy Silver TK fork uses the same overall design as the Judy Gold SL, but the Silver TK subs in cheaper and heavier steel upper tubes, along with a cheaper Turnkey damper. You’ll still find the same Boost-specific lowers, Maxle thru-axle and Solo Air spring though.
The Silver (2670gms) weighs a 1.88lbs more than the Gold (1814gms).
The stock RST Asteria 32 Air-TNL (Asteria Catalog) on the Ride1Up Lm'td (2240gms) weighs nearly a pound more that the Judy Gold, but less than the Silver. Your Lm'td just changed to a 52lb bike. Dump those kluky stock pedals for some raceface like I did and lose another 1/2lb.
Articles also say the Gold is finished better. I know mine is flawless and I've seen complaint's about the Silver's finish.
Was it worth the extra money? Going by my requirements (the plan I laid out) there just wasn't anything else.
I wanted size 30 tubes. The Recon is 32 and weights +2300gms. The Recon Gold is unobtainable except OEM - or buy a used one, etc.
I don't think the Recon Gold even comes in straight tube style.
In 2018 RS completely updated the Judy line to bring it up to former Pike performance specs. Huge improvements.
  • 80-120mm travel
  • Compatible with up to 2.8in wide tyres
  • Available in 27.5in and 29in sizes
  • 30mm Fast Black anodized upper tubes
  • Solo Air spring
  • Motion Control RL Damper w/lockout, adjustable compression and rebound
  • Wider and stronger Boost-specific chassis
  • 110x15mm Maxle thru-axle
The Recon was upgraded to 29" wheels.

RockShox Recon RL​

• Updated with new wheelsize and travel options
  • Two versions: 80-120mm or 130-150mm travel
  • Available in 27.5in and 29in Boost sizes
  • 32mm steel upper tubes
  • Solo Air spring
  • Motion Control RL Damper w/lockout, adjustable compression and rebound
  • 15mm Maxle thru-axle
"The Plan" was a city machine for a rider under 175lbs - preferably 165lbs.
Travel beyond 100mm is not required.
-
Regarding the stiffness being adequate w/ only size 30 stanchions? These ain't my mom's size 30 tubes. These are Magnesium and easily as stiff as RS size 32 steel tubes. I could detect zero flex, but this will require a lot more use to become one with the new feel and I'm laid off with an injury, so no tests for a bit.
The ride is so different now, it'll require a bit of use to feel out and re-learn.
I'd say if the weight is no issue - or if you weigh more that 170ish - go with a Recon Silver and save some cash.

Fn'F

Looking into the forks, thanks. I just added a Thudbuster LT to the bike and ordered a selle automatica h2 which should get here later this week.

Would love to dump these dumpy asteria forks next. I fluctuate between 185-200 depending on the season.

Would rather go overkill than under for the forks. As my bro says, “Buy once, cry once”

Also, will be adding mtx gold pads on the front 4 piston caliper

Oh, I also dumped my stock flat aluminum pedals for some one up components composites a while back. Love ‘em 😎

You were right from the outset. You need the Recon fork. That's a big jump.
LBS say's 'there is an adapter in the Lm'td's headtube that converts it to straight tube type'.
Beware Selle Anatomica carbon rails. Mine were set up perfect and they snapped. Also a seat rivet is defective.
I'm buying Brooks on next bike ordered.
I went with these Race Face Chester pedals - in blue. No complaints.
My KINEKT is headed back to the factory for work. I love that thing.

Happy days!

F'nF

I recently ordered and installed a Manitou Markhor fork on my Limited.

I initially found it at TakeAHikeShop.com and ordered it. I still have not received it, nor have I heard back from them after I phoned them, texted them and emailed them. My suggestion is to stay away from them. I am disputing the purchase through PayPal. If that doesn't work, I'll take it to my credit card (which is where PayPal gets my money).

The benefit to this is that I google searched and found it directly from Hayes Components, who owns Manitou. And it was on sale for $235 delivered. Usual price is $299. I ordered it on a Thursday and had it in my hands Saturday. I installed it about ten days ago and have put thirty or forty miles on it. It is a very good fork - nice and plush with good damping and stiffness. I installed it in about a half an hour and the best part was that the brake installed quickly and easily - it only took one try. I credit the accuracy of the machining of the mounting posts on the fork legs - they are probably a lot better machined than the Asteria. Also, the Manitou weighs in at 4.1 pounds (1865 grams), which was 9/10ths of a pound lighter than the Asteria. The Manitou is nicer in several ways - higher quality machining and manufacturing, and actual damping cartridge to control rebound, better seals on the fork legs to keep it smooth as well as lighter materials overall.

The Asteria was a decent fork when new, but after 1150 miles it was showing a lot of stiction - that initial resistance to moving when you hit a bump. I looked at it to see if I could disassemble it and service it, but do not see how to get it apart. And, who am I kidding, I didn't look too hard since I wanted an new fork anyhow.

Work needed due to wear and tear, or some sort of defect?
It rotates on the shaft - about 15 degrees.
They've been really decent about it. I'm past warranty. Prompt replies too.
I park in a store to shop. It could be a thief trying tried to wiggle my saddle loose - not uncommon where I live - or anything.
Wear and tear is not detectable. No squeaks. No problems. I just want it fixed.
After customizing the 'spring mix', I'm adjusted perfect, never bottom out. It smooths the petty 'road chatter' and alerts me to lift my arse on bigger hits.
Can't speak to Thudbusters, but I love that thing. Without it, I'm not happy one bit and I recommend it for sure.

FnF

I recently ordered and installed a Manitou Markhor fork on my Limited.

I initially found it at TakeAHikeShop.com and ordered it. I still have not received it, nor have I heard back from them after I phoned them, texted them and emailed them. My suggestion is to stay away from them. I am disputing the purchase through PayPal. If that doesn't work, I'll take it to my credit card (which is where PayPal gets my money).

The benefit to this is that I google searched and found it directly from Hayes Components, who owns Manitou. And it was on sale for $235 delivered. Usual price is $299. I ordered it on a Thursday and had it in my hands Saturday. I installed it about ten days ago and have put thirty or forty miles on it. It is a very good fork - nice and plush with good damping and stiffness. I installed it in about a half an hour and the best part was that the brake installed quickly and easily - it only took one try. I credit the accuracy of the machining of the mounting posts on the fork legs - they are probably a lot better machined than the Asteria. Also, the Manitou weighs in at 4.1 pounds (1865 grams), which was 9/10ths of a pound lighter than the Asteria. The Manitou is nicer in several ways - higher quality machining and manufacturing, and actual damping cartridge to control rebound, better seals on the fork legs to keep it smooth as well as lighter materials overall.

The Asteria was a decent fork when new, but after 1150 miles it was showing a lot of stiction - that initial resistance to moving when you hit a bump. I looked at it to see if I could disassemble it and service it, but do not see how to get it apart. And, who am I kidding, I didn't look too hard since I wanted an new fork anyhow.
'Good to call bad shops out', I say. Thanks !
If I'd known, I'd certainly have inspected the Manitou line.
This RS Judy Gold feels like a racehorse. The geometry is different. Very high quality, but the price is high.
I suffered the same failures with my Asteria and the same 'I need to replace it anyhow' compulsions.
Which fork did you install? I'd guess the MACHETE, and you did get a good deal!
What's you ride impression?

Fn'F

Adding up it sums to: RockShox Judy Gold RL A3, 27.5', Air, 100mm, 1-1/8', QR, Rake: 42mm.
It's a higher grade version of a real 'MTB, entry level fork'.
The fork can come with (or come in a kit) remotes, that also has a dropper post control. I've read reviews that say I can remove tokens to go up to 120mm if I want.
Searching for the past few weeks, I finally found a deal at ModernBike for $356.00 total.
A Judy Silver's $230.00, but by using alloy where the Judy 'Silver' uses steel, the Gold loses nearly a pound of excess weight to come in at 1689gms. Both fit my 2.4" tires/ brake mounts - being bolt-on compatible with the old Asteria.
The Silver has a 'plug' available to upgrade it's strength. The Gold does not require one - already being stronger by it's crown's alloy.
It fits OEM on $4k - $5k market segment e-Bikes - Diamondback, Cube, etc.
-
My focus is DIY, but having an LBS cut, install the crown race and set the star-nut is sounding a lot smarter and more economical than buying the specialty tools. I expect delivery in the next few days.
Hello again Mr. Fast n’ Furious. I am looking at the same Judy Gold RL fork you mention above. Did you have to order a new crown race and skewer as well? Any tips or insight on the star nut install?

Mine is new, installed it. Perfect length. Unflawed.
I'm selling it. 20% off bike and new high-end parts - and I buy at good prices.
Magura MT5e front brakes. Choice of Domino or Wuxing twist throttle, or thumb type. Choice of Jones butted H-Bars 2.5 rise, or Surly Moloko's.
NIB Cirrus Cycles KINEKT XL, w - extra springs to fine tune. Mounted ABUS alarm lock (their best).
Includes Panniers and frame bags. Lot's of titanium. Rack/ fenders/ security keyed skewer/ Selle Anatomica Saddle/ Ursus (best) 80 Jumbo double kickstand.
I won't brag on my work. It's just I'm stubborn and don't quit until I find the ideal parts. It's mine so the quality is what I'd have done if price was no object.
Even have a box to ship the bike in. Packed in spare parts wrapped in foam.
I knew I'd reach this quandary when my new machine arrived 😢.
-
Okay, on point with your question. Your old skewer will fit fine on the Judy Gold - what I have. I assume on the lesser grades as well.
I still upgraded. Tried several skewers.
Installed correctly they all proved adequate for my street machine. The ti types lose a few grams.
Skewers have been used in the eBike market long enough to have massive evidence of what's not happening: Failure.
Avoiding presenting 'opportunities', readily available by a skewer lever to take my front wheel, I ended up using these security skewers.
The rest is compatible, but replace the star nut with this compressor nut or equivalent. Why? It spreads the pressure out over a wider area. You may want to integrate a longer or higher rise stem/ bar clamp for geometry that suits your style. Be prepared.
Designed for carbon, these compressors work great for other materials as well.

Hope this helps. Great you're hands on doing it !!!

Fn'F

Back