NCM Moscow Plus 29" Upgrades / Project Bike

PeterDownes

Region
Canada
City
York
Hello everyone. This is my first NCM Moscow Plus 29" bike that I bought for a steal deal that cost $1150 used. I noticed that the previous owners did not take care of the bike at all and I'm working hard to make it much better than a stock NCM Moscow Plus.

Things I have noticed & future upgrades:

- The kickstand gave out and was a safety hazard while peddling as it would fall down so I ended up removing it. Currently looking into double kickstand options or rear kickstands if possible.
- The bike came with a busted Freewheel. Apparently it's really common in these bikes. I had my local shop install a 7-speed shifter and a new cassette. Currently, I'm using a loaner tire and motor until I get my 29inch tire back
- The spokes are crap on the standard 29" wheels and when I first got the bike I noticed at least one of them was bent and I think one of them was missing.
- The forks seem good for standard spring forks but they seem to be old/rusty so I plan on upgrading to air forks but I don't know what.
- I noticed this bike does not need a dropper seat post BUT i've never owned one and never tried one so I'd love to have one.
- Planning to upgrade the battery to the 25ah one once I get the chance. Mainly because I also use the bike to deliver food and I want to reduce the need to peddle as much as possible while also having enough juice to do other errands or get home.
- I got new brake pads and ordered fresh 180mm rotors that are not tektro. The previous brake pads were worn down to the metal.

Questions to whoever is reading this:

1. What spokes should I get to make this bike better? (I've never installed spokes myself but I do have a spoke tool)
2. What air forks would be best for this bike?
3. Is a dropper seat a good idea for this bike / useful or should I just leave it stock and change my saddle?
4. Once I have all the possible upgrades I plan to get a completely fresh paint job to make it look nothing like an NCM bike anymore. I am inspired by the colors of McLarens orange or even a two-tone color of orange. I will attach pictures of the car to give you a visual of what I envision on the bicycle.
5. Also, If you know of any good durable kickstands that are better than stock please let me know.

(Please take a look at the colors and try to vividly picture it on the bike. I also plan to change the color of the rims as well)

Any advice or suggestions are welcome. If you think this is a completely bad idea please let me know as well lol.

Attachments

• 5493bde0bf314ace8c1de4f278ffc5f5484cb29d.jpg
    5493bde0bf314ace8c1de4f278ffc5f5484cb29d.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 138
  • 15556300161_0e7a574116_b.jpg
    15556300161_0e7a574116_b.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 146
I didn't know that NCM had freewheel, but why did you get the 7 speed when your stock one is 8 speed?
Unless you felt 8 speed was redundant?

Perhaps upgrade it to 9 speed?
My local shop advised me that 8-speed is bad on NCM bikes and they would have to be replaced sooner. On top of that when I would ride most mountain bikes they would be 7 speed / 21 gears in total so it was something I was always used to. I trust my local mechanic shop as I also used to work for them as an assisstant.

Hello everyone. This is my first NCM Moscow Plus 29" bike that I bought for a steal deal that cost $1150 used. I noticed that the previous owners did not take care of the bike at all and I'm working hard to make it much better than a stock NCM Moscow Plus.

Things I have noticed & future upgrades:

- The kickstand gave out and was a safety hazard while peddling as it would fall down so I ended up removing it. Currently looking into double kickstand options or rear kickstands if possible.
- The bike came with a busted Freewheel. Apparently it's really common in these bikes. I had my local shop install a 7-speed shifter and a new cassette. Currently, I'm using a loaner tire and motor until I get my 29inch tire back
- The spokes are crap on the standard 29" wheels and when I first got the bike I noticed at least one of them was bent and I think one of them was missing.
- The forks seem good for standard spring forks but they seem to be old/rusty so I plan on upgrading to air forks but I don't know what.
- I noticed this bike does not need a dropper seat post BUT i've never owned one and never tried one so I'd love to have one.
- Planning to upgrade the battery to the 25ah one once I get the chance. Mainly because I also use the bike to deliver food and I want to reduce the need to peddle as much as possible while also having enough juice to do other errands or get home.
- I got new brake pads and ordered fresh 180mm rotors that are not tektro. The previous brake pads were worn down to the metal.

Questions to whoever is reading this:

1. What spokes should I get to make this bike better? (I've never installed spokes myself but I do have a spoke tool)
2. What air forks would be best for this bike?
3. Is a dropper seat a good idea for this bike / useful or should I just leave it stock and change my saddle?
4. Once I have all the possible upgrades I plan to get a completely fresh paint job to make it look nothing like an NCM bike anymore. I am inspired by the colors of McLarens orange or even a two-tone color of orange. I will attach pictures of the car to give you a visual of what I envision on the bicycle.
5. Also, If you know of any good durable kickstands that are better than stock please let me know.

(Please take a look at the colors and try to vividly picture it on the bike. I also plan to change the color of the rims as well)

Any advice or suggestions are welcome. If you think this is a completely bad idea please let me know as well lol.
I recommend these spokes from ebikes.ca.
Ask for the smaller nipples unless you're prepared to drill out the spoke holes in the rim.
They also have an excellent video on relacing a wheel. I followed it and it worked out great.

Personally, I haven't had good luck with Sapim.
DT Swiss has been much better.
Interesting...anything is better than what came with the stock wheel! I relaced the whole wheel last year with the Sapim's and have not had one break since.

Back