Rear wheel / hub motor replacement options?

EnduroDad

Hi all, I have a standard Moscow and the rear 250w hub motor died. I swapped the rear wheel from my other Moscow and it works fine, so I'm pretty sure the hub motor is somehow fried.

I called Leon Cycle in Seattle and they said due to supply chain problems assembled rear wheels are backordered. However they do have replacement 500w hub motors in stock for $100 plus shipping.

Before I buy the hub and try to find a way to rebuild my rear wheel, does anyone know if another manufacturer or retailer would have something that works? I'm not picky about the rear wheel matching the bike or if the motor says "das kit," just looking for something functional.

Many thanks!
Sasha

If your present motor has this kind of connector, odds are another motor/wheel with the same 9 pin connector will fit. (Ignore the metal bracket. That's for a trailer hitch.) I've owned three different motor brands that used this connector, and they all were plug-n-play.

trailer.jpg

You could consider buying their motor, if it is the same size as your failed one. You would take apart the old one, saving the spokes and nipples. You have the other wheel as a model. if you get lost. And there's the gal in this video, tells you how to do it. I followed her, and have gone on to do almost a dozen wheels.

Last edited:
With Bafang hub motors you pull the guts from a good motor, pull the guts from the fried motor, and plug in the good motor guts. No fussing with wheels of spokes at all. No idea about compatibility in what you are looking at.

Thanks everyone for the great advice! I’m ordering the replacement hub motor and will first see if I can swap the guts. If not I’ll give wheel building a go. 😅

Thanks everyone for the great advice! I’m ordering the replacement hub motor and will first see if I can swap the guts. If not I’ll give wheel building a go. 😅
Good idea! Let us know how it goes. Never know if someone else might need to do this as well.

I am in Oz and Leon Cycles here sell the wheel with motor for about $250 with the exchange rate it may be easier to buy one and they do ship overseas. My Aspen motor had a bearing noise and rather than spend time and money looking for the issue I just bought a new one.

Hey EnduroDad, I think you got the last motor from Leon Cycle in Seattle! I'm trying to do exactly this but can't find a motor to swap. Any clues on how to find this motor?

This bike had a failed hub-drive. So, I ditched that and made it a mid. Here is before and after. As of this hour it looks like I will be doing that to another Mundo.

Attachments

• BionX.JPG
    BionX.JPG
    285.7 KB · Views: 278
  • MundoNotBionX.JPG
    MundoNotBionX.JPG
    318.2 KB · Views: 263
@cornmaze we may both be out of luck. I didn't get the invoice so I called Leon today and they're checking stock. I have a feeling there's no motors in stock.

Thanks for the advice @Peter M! I may need to order from overseas.

If Leon is out of stock I'm curious if I can simply order a replacement motor from another supplier and swap out the internals? A few folks on this forum have identified the Das Kit motor as a Mxus xf15r and looking at the measurements and specs, it seems to be the correct motor.

I pulled apart the broken Das Kit motor just to see how it comes out, and it's surprisingly easy to simply pull the "guts" of the motor out. It's definitely a geared motor with nylon cogs. Nice to see a decent amount of grease used.

I couldn't see any obvious signs of failure, like broken connectors or burned out parts, but I have no idea what I'm looking for.

A Mxus xf15r would run about $100 +shipping from China. Considering the shipping delays and lunar new year, it would probably take 4-5 weeks to arrive. For about $200 I could get a built wheel, might be worth it just to have a spare.

Anyhow here's a random link on aliexpress.com with the motor + wheel. Think it would work?

Some pics of the stock Das Kit motor (my broken one):

IMG_4781D.JPGIMG_4787D.JPGIMG_4786D.JPGIMG_4785D.JPGIMG_4784D.JPG

Last edited:
Hi all, I have a standard Moscow and the rear 250w hub motor died. I swapped the rear wheel from my other Moscow and it works fine, so I'm pretty sure the hub motor is somehow fried.

I called Leon Cycle in Seattle and they said due to supply chain problems assembled rear wheels are backordered. However they do have replacement 500w hub motors in stock for $100 plus shipping.

Before I buy the hub and try to find a way to rebuild my rear wheel, does anyone know if another manufacturer or retailer would have something that works? I'm not picky about the rear wheel matching the bike or if the motor says "das kit," just looking for something functional.

Many thanks!
Sasha

250w? 500w is standard for moscows in the U.S. unless Oakland has a limit. Get the 500w,
that´s a bargain at $100 +shpg. I´ve got 4700 mi on mine, strong as ever with never a motor
issue. Did you get an error code? I have a 1000w plug & play wheel as a spare but a $100
won´t buy it. Whatś yur wheel size?

I have one of the earlier Moscow's: 27.5" wheels, 250w. I'm satisfied with the power but minus well go with the 500w if there's a choice. Since I mainly use the bikes on private property I'm not concerned about legal limits :)

Which 1000w wheel did you go with?

Here's the product page for the Mxus XF15R
http://www.mxusebikekit.com/proshow.aspx?cateid=68&productsid=196

From the site:
Gear motor
Rated Voltage(V):24/36/48
Rated Power(W):250-350
Wheelsize(inch):16-28
Rated Speed(km/h):25-40
Weight(KG):3.5
Open size(mm):135
Cable location:shaft center right
Color:Silver/Black
Brake type:V brake/Disc brake

XF15R.jpgDSC_6780.pngDSC_6781.pngDSC_6782.png

I don't know if my original motor is 250 or 500: the manual says 250, the website says 500. I've pulled it apart just as you did, @EnduroDad, and saw just what you show in the pictures, above. I was looking for wear on the nylon cogs, but didn't find any and don't see it in your pic. Another EBR poster claims that if the plug matches the motor will work, and this is indeed the plug my bike has. Furthermore, both of my bikes have the X15R### on the motor. I'm convinced it is indeed the Mxus XF15Rs and I see lots of them for sale on eBay for @$100 with $45 shipping charges. Before ordering, however, does anyone have a thought on whether there is an obvious upgrade to be had here?

got mine from Calibike. but I don´t think they still sell ´em. It was a whole kit less battery for $350.
These days their kits start at 2000w & go to 6000w it you like crazy fast. Their batteries are
pretty reasonable

Last edited:
I don't know if my original motor is 250 or 500: the manual says 250, the website says 500. I've pulled it apart just as you did, @EnduroDad, and saw just what you show in the pictures, above. I was looking for wear on the nylon cogs, but didn't find any and don't see it in your pic. Another EBR poster claims that if the plug matches the motor will work, and this is indeed the plug my bike has. Furthermore, both of my bikes have the X15R### on the motor. I'm convinced it is indeed the Mxus XF15Rs and I see lots of them for sale on eBay for @$100 with $45 shipping charges. Before ordering, however, does anyone have a thought on whether there is an obvious upgrade to be had here?
Where dja getthe bike from? Seattle or other?

Back