Rear wheel / hub motor replacement options?

That´s the same motor as mine, but it may haveb been meant for the UK or canada. If so,
the speed limiter in the controller would need to be unlocked & reset for 500w ( spd over 25kph)
The code for that has been floated here,

does anyone have a thought on whether there is an obvious upgrade to be had here?
If you 'upgrade' the motor you will need to 'upgrade' the controller to match. The reason I use quotes is that you could over do. You don't want to rip out spokes. The original wheel was engineered for the original spec. And you don't want to crash, even if it is not your fault, on an illegal bike. Because then it is your fault. 750W is the legal limit. 500 may be the engineering limit.

Last edited:
Not interested in getting a lot more power, but perhaps there is a more durable or more efficient motor? I notice that some have nylon gears, others have steel or aluminum ones, for example, so clearly, even within the same envelope, there can be differences.

For what it's worth, I'm in the process of swapping out the display/controller for KT, but I kept the Das Kit motor. Not done, but I did plug things into the motor to see if they worked and they seem to. It responded properly to throttle and read a speed on the speedometer. The KT vendor said it's compatible with Bafang motors so, if KT works with Bafang and Das Kit, then it's probably safe to say Bafang and Das Kit are both compatible with each other (same pin layout). Anyways I know the OP has a solution but figured I'd put this here for anyone else now or down the road.

For what it's worth, I'm in the process of swapping out the display/controller for KT, but I kept the Das Kit motor. Not done, but I did plug things into the motor to see if they worked and they seem to. It responded properly to throttle and read a speed on the speedometer. The KT vendor said it's compatible with Bafang motors so, if KT works with Bafang and Das Kit, then it's probably safe to say Bafang and Das Kit are both compatible with each other (same pin layout). Anyways I know the OP has a solution but figured I'd put this here for anyone else now or down the road.
Interesting. Would you have a pointer to the KT Controller and Diaplay you are installing. Also I would be interested in how it works out when all done.

Interesting. Would you have a pointer to the KT Controller and Diaplay you are installing. Also I would be interested in how it works out when all done.
Sure -

I can update how it all works once it's all together. May just start a new thread since it's a different topic.

Hi all, another update: I was hoping the new 500w motor core from Leon would have done the trick, but it turned out that the axle is different on the old 250w and new 500w motors. So I couldn't fit the new motor all the way into the old hub shell, there's a "buldge" or collar on the 500w axle. I'd imagine the new 500w design has a larger bearing on the brake-side to accommodate the larger axle.

Attached is a photo pointing out the new 500w axle, compared to the straight axle in the old 250w.

Leon was kind enough to sent me a return label and sadly they still don't have complete wheels (or 250w motors) in stock. So time for plan B.

I put in an order on aliexpress for a complete wheel + motor. Here's the link (48v, 500w, rear motor). Came out to $210.65 shipped to the US.

I'll post again when it comes in. Who knows how long shipping will take from Changzhou, hopefully not too long :)

IMG_4800.jpeg

Incredibly helpful, @EnduroDad! I'm positive this is the same motor Leon was going to send me, but that you got first. Two questions: how did you know your original motor was 250 and not 500w? (For my bike, the Infinity, the manual says one thing, the original sales posting another.) And why did you buy an entire wheel and motor instead of just a replacement Mxus XF15R 250w motor from Alibaba?

Haha, you’re probably right @cornmaze, you should email Randy at Leon and ask that he send it over to you. I should have just sent it to you :)

I purchased the original Moscow a couple years back and it advertised a 48v 250w motor at the time. The Moscow+ I ordered last year claims a 500w motor. But honestly I have no idea, just going by what I read. When comparing the two bikes I can't really feel any difference in torque.

The wheel assembly wasn't much more than just buying the hub, but mainly I don't want to spend the extra time building and truing a wheel.

Actually, you're in the EB, I could have just stopped by and picked it up! But I think I'd have exactly the problem you had with it not quite fitting. I'm still hoping I can find a like-on-like motor that I can just swap in, rather than having to rebuild a wheel or throw one away.

Hey @EnduroDad did you ever actually receive your wheel assembly? I ordered on Alibaba, got a note saying it had cleared US customs, then another note, months later, asking for +$$ for shipping. I refused so they refunded the entire purchase price, which makes me think they never shipped it in the first place. Back to square one :(

@cornmaze I'm sorry to hear it, that sounds super shady. Which vendor did you purchase from? The vendor I used was "chamrider Official Store" on aliexpress. It took forever but it finally arrived. I messaged them on aliexpress asking if there were any updates, and they said "The delivery time is about 60~ 75 days. Please wait patiently."

I ordered Feb 15, finally arrived April 7.

The new wheel installed easily and works fine but there's a problem I haven't sorted out yet: The speedo no longer works, and as a result the bike has no high-speed cutoff which is a bonus for me :)

Power is the same as the stock motor, graphics are a bit odd but it's just a sticker that can be removed:
IMG_5085.JPG

IMG_5084D.JPG

Last edited:
@cornmaze I'm sorry to hear it, that sounds super shady. Which vendor did you purchase from? The vendor I used was "chamrider Official Store" on aliexpress. It took forever but it finally arrived. I messaged them on aliexpress asking if there were any updates, and they said "The delivery time is about 60~ 75 days. Please wait patiently."

The new wheel installed easily and works fine but there's a problem I haven't sorted out yet: The speedo no longer works, and as a result the bike has no high-speed cutoff which is a bonus for me :)

Power is the same as the stock motor, graphics are a bit odd but it's just a sticker that can be removed:
Hey EnduroDad
Would it be possible to post the link to the motor you ordered/received?

Many thanks

View attachment 124769

View attachment 124770
It is likely that the wheel magnet to speed sensor pickup is not aligned. It needs to be within 2mm. I remove both from my builds. I remove everything that hinders feel and performance. And chop off any ugly wires and connectors to make for a clean build.
1653929550548.jpeg

It is likely that the wheel magnet to speed sensor pickup is not aligned. It needs to be within 2mm. I remove both from my builds. I remove everything that hinders feel and performance. And chop off any ugly wires and connectors to make for a clean build.
Thanks, I'll take a look. Honestly I prefer it this way, not that I need it any faster than stock but I never cared for how abruptly the high-speed cutoff kicked in. Sharp looking bike btw! Where's the motor hiding?

That's exactly what I ordered from Chamrider. So sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The problem is, I still don't have a better solution.

I hid it between the pedals and put the throttle there so it is foot actuated like in a car. Then I told the programing that the bike has 10 inch wheels.

That's exactly what I ordered from Chamrider. So sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The problem is, I still don't have a better solution.
Oh man, sorry they screwed you. This was my first ever order from aliexpress but since then I’ve ordered motorcycle parts from other vendors and a couple arrived in about 2 weeks. I guess it’s a crap-shoot.

Knowing this I would have chosen another vendor.

I realize it’s another long wait and risk, but have you considered finding another Aliexpress vendor?

Back