Axle for regular wheel on hub motor bike

Joe W

Region
USA
I have a Propella 9S Pro eBike. It has a rear hub motor. I want to switch to a Bafang mid motor, from a previous bike, as it has more torque and better battery life.
The Propella has dropouts for a hub motor. The dropouts accept an axle that has flats on it. The axle diameter is 12 mm, and the flats are 10 mm.
I want to replace the hub wheel with a Proterra Tough i30 142 x 12 mm. It accepts a 12 mm round axle.
Question is, can I purchase a solid axle with the flat ends? Or can I get a solid axle and grind down the flats to fit the dropouts? I don't want to drill out the dropout slots,as that would make it impossible to revert to the hub motor.
Thanks in advance.

Joe W

3/8" rear axles are standard, .375". That is smaller than 12 mm or .473". If made of real steel and you weigh less than 350 lb the strength should be adequate. Don't lose the nuts, they are 3/8"x26 tpi and specific to bicycles. I've had a bike supply (thebikeshopstore.com) ship me random pieces of hex shaped junk instead of 3/8"x26 nuts, so it is probably worth picking up a junk bike on garbage day to salvage the rear axle with the nuts. Standard rear dropout (fork width) is 135 mm.
BTW I broke a shimano 6 speed rear axle that had a 8 mm diameter section in the middle. Most 6 speed shimano rear axles had that, so don't salvage up one of those. I weighed an enormous 180 lb in those days and did not jump curbs, rocks, or picnic tables. The 7 speed rear axle common these days has 3/8" center section.

Last edited:
Thanks for reply. I hadn't thought to look at other bikes (my landlord has a few left behind by previous tenant). Alas, none would work. One had a 7/16 inch axle, and another 10 mm. Some quick release ones that I haven't checked yet.

I think you will need to commit to moving forward without reversion as an option.

I think that I jumped to the wrong conclusion that a threaded axle was the only option. After some searching, I found
Corki Cycles12mm to 10mm QR Adapter Thru Axle Hub Quick Release 100/135/142/148mm Bicycle Front Wheel Hub Adapter. I'm not sure why it is designated as front wheel, and there doesn't seem to be a rear wheel version. It's about USD $33 with a pair of skewers (never even knew the name of the quick release part). So, I'll learn more when they come in.

Back