Rant, Complain, Just Let It Out In Here. Others May Sympathize

s1096cm2

Region
USA
City
South West Missouri
I haven't ridden a bike "outside" in over 25 years and just got an e-bike and my knees are killing me. I use a bike at the gym regularly but this actual real world biking is tough. I didn't realize how weak my knees had gotten. Now, the knees are just sore its not like my riding position is incorrect "I don't think" Im just pushing harder and longer that I do on a stationary bike. I want this pain to go away so I can get back out there. Its been almost 30 hours "since my last fix" and the weather has been great but every time I think about getting on it my knees start to ache a tad more. ok Im done complaining this go around now what do you got?

I find pedaling is easier when my toes are on the pedal. Maybe toes are the wrong location description. Upper third portion might be more accurate. I find pedaling more difficult when the pedal is under the arch of my foot.

Congrats on the ebike! Which one did you get?

I haven't ridden a bike "outside" in over 25 years and just got an e-bike and my knees are killing me. I use a bike at the gym regularly but this actual real world biking is tough. I didn't realize how weak my knees had gotten. Now, the knees are just sore its not like my riding position is incorrect "I don't think" Im just pushing harder and longer that I do on a stationary bike. I want this pain to go away so I can get back out there. Its been almost 30 hours "since my last fix" and the weather has been great but every time I think about getting on it my knees start to ache a tad more. ok Im done complaining this go around now what do you got?
Think positively to use your motor’s highest assist. It doesn’t make your bike go faster, it just makes your bike easier to pedal. Enjoy the motor assist. That is what e-bikes are built for. Your knees will be grateful, and you will not hurt your bike.

I find pedaling is easier when my toes are on the pedal. Maybe toes are the wrong location description. Upper third portion might be more accurate. I find pedaling more difficult when the pedal is under the arch of my foot.

Congrats on the ebike! Which one did you get?
I ended up with the Aventure .2. Guess I probably should have mentioned that. thanks

You mention the gym. Have you been lifting, or cardio only? I ask because I started lifting again, with a trainer, about 6 months ago after a many-year break, and I’ve found it to be tremendously helpful in preventing (well, minimizing anyway) joint pain. It was bad enough that I thought I had injured myself. The orthopedist found that it was osteoarthritis, and suggested weight training might help. She was right.

You mention the gym. Have you been lifting, or cardio only? I ask because I started lifting again, with a trainer, about 6 months ago after a many-year break, and I’ve found it to be tremendously helpful in preventing (well, minimizing anyway) joint pain. It was bad enough that I thought I had injured myself. The orthopedist found that it was osteoarthritis, and suggested weight training might help. She was right.
I have been on a weight loss regiment for 3 years. 280 then 234 now. I started with a trainer years ago and have been on my own since. weights and cardio are both part of my regular workouts. I just got the e bike to try something different it gets boring staring at a wall or tv while biking indoors.

It would interesting to see if the tech moves towards profiles to protect certain ailments.
Instead of trail..protect knees and hips.

Lol, that really would put ebikes in old people territory.
Theyll be in mobility stores soon.

Youll get pacemakers that connect to your ebike😂

pacemakers that connect to your ebike
I once heard of a system that monitors heart rate to regulate assistance level. When your heart rate is low, you get no assistance. As it rises you get more. Past the ideal, it totally cuts out.

I also think that OP is really about riding position, cadence, and pedaling technique. Use your ankles and calves, not your knees. Freely spin, don't thump.

What if you could remotely hack someone's 'smart' pacemaker, making it do whatever you want, whenever you want?

In relation to acoustic bikes, I sit to climb on my ebike, but always stand to pedal steep hills in a high gear on a standard bike.
Its so much better for MY knees.

What if you could remotely hack someone's 'smart' pacemaker, making it do whatever you want, whenever you want?
There was a movie many years back with that theme. I've told my Cardiologist when it becomes pacer time, nothing that doesn't require in person changes.

There was a movie many years back with that theme. I've told my Cardiologist when it becomes pacer time, nothing that doesn't require in person changes.
In the movie I remember a hacker caused the victim to have a heart attack and die. It was a tough murder case for the detective to solve.

Back