Questions about Stromer and ST5

tbar23

Hi all,

I have not been looking at Stromers despite their apparent fit for my goal (high-speed commuter) primarily due to price. However, my LBS has a demo ST5 on sale with the Wren fork and Kinekt seat post options. I would still need the rack option.
Questions:
  • I'm a data junky. What data is available for download into 3rd party apps from Stromer app? Can I get power/torque data downloaded into a platform like Strava? Even more interesting - do the STx bikes transmit power/torque data via ANT+ or BTLE?
  • Comparing ST5 vs ST3 with battery upgrade option - is the difference primarily Di2? I also understand that the ST5 has the cleaner aesthetics with integrated handlebar.
  • I have seen some posts on EBR regarding weak Stromer dealer support in the US. If you are an owner, can you comment?
I will fully admit that I am probably being unfairly biased by the potential for a "deal". I have already convinced myself that Trek's Domane+ HP is too expensive and have shifted focus to bikes closer to ~$4k (e.g. Allant+ 8S, Vado 5.0, various Bulls options). Even at 25% retail, this ST5 would still be about double the price of those options. I understand that most on this forum wouldn't even consider them comps given the mid-drive vs hub motor configurations. However, from my perspective, they will all get the job done for a relatively flat, fast commute. The cheaper bikes would require an at-work recharge whereas ST5 probably wouldn't.

Thoughts and opinions welcome.

Thanks!

• I'm a data junky. What data is available for download into 3rd party apps from Stromer app? Can I get power/torque data downloaded into a platform like Strava? Even more interesting - do the STx bikes transmit power/torque data via ANT+ or BTLE?
  • Comparing ST5 vs ST3 with battery upgrade option - is the difference primarily Di2? I also understand that the ST5 has the cleaner aesthetics with integrated handlebar.
  • I have seen some posts on EBR regarding weak Stromer dealer support in the US. If you are an owner, can you comment?
No. Nothing. The Stromer OMNI / App is a closed system. This is because this system also controls all anti-theft stuff. Therefore, no leaking is foreseen.

M99pro vs. Roxim lighting, 1 + 2 +3 + S mode on ST5, many varieties on stem and handlebar on ST3

Check the skill of your dealer: Ask him about the different strengths of the motor brake on the left and right brake lever. And ask yourself, if your riding style fits with a ST5.

Back