I heard an astounding rumor: with battery removed on the ST7, can you actually shut the battery door now? 😳
That would be a long awaited improvement.
It doesn't close with the battery removed on my ST7. I generally tape it closed with painters' tape. Maybe on new ones?

I heard an astounding rumor: with battery removed on the ST7, can you actually shut the battery door now? 😳
Mine closes, but won’t positively latch, it does require effort to open (won’t easily pull open with the ring pull catch) by hooking my fingers into the gap at the top of the cover. I wouldn’t trust it to stay closed in transit though.

For my ST7 this is correct. There are two small magnets at the top of the door that seem to hold the door in place. I think if traveling with the bike on a rack I would still want to use a strap just in case.

Pinion Smart Shift Issue- Help!
I removed the battery to protect it from the 113 Degree weather we have been having in Vegas. Then I caught covid, so the battery was removed from the bike for about 12 days. This morning I felt well enough to go on a ride. I installed the battery, but the gearbox will not shift. (you press on either trigger, and nothing happens). I am also getting a red light on the gearbox itself. Has anyone else had this issue, or are there any recommendations you might have? Thank you...

Minor but annoying issues with ST7

After a few months with my ST7, I'm generally quite happy with it. It's a fast, fun ride and I ride it just about every day. The two annoying issues I have with it are:

1) I need to climb a fairly steep 700 ft incline to get back to my house. On my ST5, I would put it in S mode and fly up the hill. With the ST7, the motor heats up fast and S mode turns itself off after 60 to 90 seconds. It is effectively useless because at the precise time you need it, it turns off. My dealer told me that it's working correctly as it's only designed to be used for very short bursts. OK, but on my ST5, the only time S mode would turn off would be after hard rides on very hot days. It's not a big problem since I get up the hill fine in mode 2 or 3, but S mode on the ST7 seems like a marketing gimmick as it doesn't work long enough to be useful.

-- Nearly every morning, after my ST7 has sat in locked mode all night, I unlock it and when I start to ride there is no power to the motor. Turning the bike all the way off and back on fixes the problem. It never happens during rides -- I can lock the bike and then unlock it and start riding again without issue. Only after sitting all night does the problem happen, and then only about 70% of time. The issue only started happening recently, so I'm guessing it will progressively get worse. I'll be taking it to the dealer next week for its first checkup -- hopefully they will be able to reproduce it. One guy there thought it may be the TMM torque sensor not waking up when the bike gets unlocked.

Anyone else experiencing these issues?

After a few months with my ST7, I'm generally quite happy with it. It's a fast, fun ride and I ride it just about every day. The two annoying issues I have with it are:

1) I need to climb a fairly steep 700 ft incline to get back to my house. On my ST5, I would put it in S mode and fly up the hill. With the ST7, the motor heats up fast and S mode turns itself off after 60 to 90 seconds. It is effectively useless because at the precise time you need it, it turns off. My dealer told me that it's working correctly as it's only designed to be used for very short bursts. OK, but on my ST5, the only time S mode would turn off would be after hard rides on very hot days. It's not a big problem since I get up the hill fine in mode 2 or 3, but S mode on the ST7 seems like a marketing gimmick as it doesn't work long enough to be useful.

-- Nearly every morning, after my ST7 has sat in locked mode all night, I unlock it and when I start to ride there is no power to the motor. Turning the bike all the way off and back on fixes the problem. It never happens during rides -- I can lock the bike and then unlock it and start riding again without issue. Only after sitting all night does the problem happen, and then only about 70% of time. The issue only started happening recently, so I'm guessing it will progressively get worse. I'll be taking it to the dealer next week for its first checkup -- hopefully they will be able to reproduce it. One guy there thought it may be the TMM torque sensor not waking up when the bike gets unlocked.

Hi Abe.
We don't have hills that steep in Vegas however, I have not seen the motor turning off in Sport. Here is a video I took of going up a hill in my neighborhood in sport, pedaling as hard as I could. In parts of the hill, the power bar did turn red for a second or so, but the power output never reduced. Now this was only a 100ft climb at a max 6% grade.

As far as the second issue that has not happened to mine. and I leave it in my garage, turned on overnight, and never have an issue like you are describing.
That being said my ST7 turned into a brick today due to the pinon not working. Soooo that is new. (see my post from today).

I hope you get these issues resolved. -J

Hi Abe.
We don't have hills that steep in Vegas however, I have not seen the motor turning off in Sport. Here is a video I took of going up a hill in my neighborhood in sport, pedaling as hard as I could. In parts of the hill, the power bar did turn red for a second or so, but the power output never reduced. Now this was only a 100ft climb at a max 6% grade.

As far as the second issue that has not happened to mine. and I leave it in my garage, turned on overnight, and never have an issue like you are describing.
That being said my ST7 turned into a brick today due to the pinon not working. Soooo that is new. (see my post from today).

I hope you get these issues resolved. -J

Thanks, Jason. Good to know you’re not having the issues I’m having. Your hill looks less challenging than mine, but also the climb was only about 90 seconds, which is right about the time S-mode turns off on my bike. I did see a post on Stromer’s Instagram account by someone having the same issue, so I think maybe it’s more than just me experiencing it.

As for your issue, you may want to try calibrating your Pinion gearbox. Here are the instructions:

- turn on your bike

- pinch the right brake lever

- while holding the brake lever pinched, press MENU on the OMNI display and keep your finger on the display

- release the right brake lever after a few seconds while keeping your finger on MENU

- after a few seconds the MENU will automatically appear and you no longer have to keep pushing on the OMNI display

- now you will also see the service option in the menu, which you click on to get to the service menu

- That service menu will show an option for calibrating PINION.

Thanks, Jason. Good to know you’re not having the issues I’m having. Your hill looks less challenging than mine, but also the climb was only about 90 seconds, which is right about the time S-mode turns off on my bike. I did see a post on Stromer’s Instagram account by someone having the same issue, so I think maybe it’s more than just me experiencing it.

As for your issue, you may want to try calibrating your Pinion gearbox. Here are the instructions:

- turn on your bike

- pinch the right brake lever

- while holding the brake lever pinched, press MENU on the OMNI display and keep your finger on the display

- release the right brake lever after a few seconds while keeping your finger on MENU

- after a few seconds the MENU will automatically appear and you no longer have to keep pushing on the OMNI display

- now you will also see the service option in the menu, which you click on to get to the service menu

- That service menu will show an option for calibrating PINION.
Thanks, Abe,
Still no luck..
The calibration instantly fails

Attachments

• IMG_2482.jpeg
    IMG_2482.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2483.jpeg
    IMG_2483.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_2484.jpeg
    IMG_2484.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 81

I actually managed to overheat in ST5 once. It was a hot day and I was climbing a %20+ grade on S, pushing it, towards the end of a ride. It disabled Sport for some time. The good news is in mode 3 it never gets hot.

Since St7 is heavier I guess it makes it easier in hot weather.

How is the climbing performance otherwise?

I actually managed to overheat in ST5 once. It was a hot day and I was climbing a %20+ grade on S, pushing it, towards the end of a ride. It disabled Sport for some time. The good news is in mode 3 it never gets hot.

Since St7 is heavier I guess it makes it easier in hot weather.

How is the climbing performance otherwise?
I find the ST7 to be quite similar in performance to the ST5, though a tad faster when really pushing it. I had a nephew riding my ST5 for a few days, with me on my ST7, and he was able to keep up with me on all kinds of hills and flats. I can easily pedal my ST7 to 29 mph, and with some effort hit 30 mph. My ST5 tops out at about 28 to 29 mph. But that could easily be just the speedometer being off by that much.

Technically the ST7 has a more powerful motor and more torque, but it's also heavier than the ST5, so it seems to balance out.

Yes - my Stromer ST7 motor overheats EVERY time between 12 and 16kms and Sports-Mode immediately dies. The 2 ST5 bikes did the same but after double the distance. ST2S also. This is a major design flaw in this bike. The S-Mode will not come back if I keep riding it for the rest of my 80kms autonomy. I can sit on a bench when this happens, let the motor cool down (it won't) or take the battery out (reboot) and then it's ok....... but ONLY for another 6-10kms. This happens in ambient temps from 12 to 39 deg C. I am 118kgs and the maximum "guaranteed" is weight 120kgs (plus 30 for the bike = 150). These bikes are NOT well thought out for 15,000 swiss Francs. If you buy a 3 million dollare 1500 bhp Chiron and get the bhp of a Golf GTI after only an hour of your 5 hour journey you will be a bit annoyed to say the least. Top of the range bike with major design problems in the motor. Unfixable too - you can't drill air-holes in the motor casing because of dust and rain. SO beware! Could be my weight that's the problem but i don't think so - all 4 Sports-Mode(able) Stromers did the same and whoever tells you you can ride all day in Sports mode is either lying or weighs 4 stone......

I live in Switzerland. My Stromer ST7 motor overheats EVERY time between 12 and 16kms and Sports-Mode immediately dies. The 2 ST5 bikes did the same but after double the distance. ST2S also. This is a major design flaw in this bike. The S-Mode will not come back if I keep riding it for the rest of my 80kms autonomy. I can sit on a bench when this happens, let the motor cool down (it won't) or take the battery out (reboot) and then it's ok....... but ONLY for another 6-10kms. This happens in ambient temps from 12 to 39 deg C. I am 118kgs and the maximum "guaranteed" is weight 120kgs (plus 30 for the bike = 150). These bikes are NOT well thought out for a top of the range price of 15,000 swiss Francs. If you buy a 3 million dollar 1500 bhp Chiron and get the bhp of a Golf GTI after only an hour of your 5 hour journey because you wacked it up to 300kph on the Autobahn for a bit and the engine firmware decided to punish you, you will be a bit annoyed to say the least. The ST7 is a top of the range bike with major design problems in the motor. Unfixable too - you can't drill air-holes in the motor casing because of dust and rain. SO beware when you buy this bike and don't believe the hype about Sports-Mode is available all day! Could be my weight that's the problem but i don't think so - all 4 Sports-Mode(able) Stromers did the same and whoever tells you you can ride all day in Sports mode is either lying or weighs 4 stone......

I live in Switzerland. My Stromer ST7 motor overheats EVERY time between 12 and 16kms and Sports-Mode immediately dies. The 2 ST5 bikes did the same but after double the distance. ST2S also. This is a major design flaw in this bike. The S-Mode will not come back if I keep riding it for the rest of my 80kms autonomy. I can sit on a bench when this happens, let the motor cool down (it won't) or take the battery out (reboot) and then it's ok....... but ONLY for another 6-10kms. This happens in ambient temps from 12 to 39 deg C. I am 118kgs and the maximum "guaranteed" is weight 120kgs (plus 30 for the bike = 150). These bikes are NOT well thought out for a top of the range price of 15,000 swiss Francs. If you buy a 3 million dollar 1500 bhp Chiron and get the bhp of a Golf GTI after only an hour of your 5 hour journey because you wacked it up to 300kph on the Autobahn for a bit and the engine firmware decided to punish you, you will be a bit annoyed to say the least. The ST7 is a top of the range bike with major design problems in the motor. Unfixable too - you can't drill air-holes in the motor casing because of dust and rain. SO beware when you buy this bike and don't believe the hype about Sports-Mode is available all day! Could be my weight that's the problem but i don't think so - all 4 Sports-Mode(able) Stromers did the same and whoever tells you you can ride all day in Sports mode is either lying or weighs 4 stone......
Yes, I agree the S mode on the ST7 is effectively just a marketing gimmick since it doesn't provide much value in the real world.

My bigger problem turned out to be something much worse. My ST7 developed a problem where it wouldn’t provide power to motor the morning after rides where the motor got very hot, which was pretty much every ride. Turning it all the way off and on would fix it, until about two weeks ago when the bike just died in the middle of my ride with a e210003 error. The Omni turned on but nothing else worked, not even the horn or lights. Turning off/on or removing the battery didn’t clear the error. I had to walk the 80 pound bike home from nearly 10 miles away and up a 700-foot climb. It’s been in the shop since then, awaiting parts from Stromer (apparently a cable between the battery and a control unit shorted out).

This is already my second ST7. Stromer and my dealer replaced my first one when its distribution board shorted out, resulting in a very similar situation (Omni turned on but no power to the bike).

When the ST7 is working, it’s a fun bike. Unfortunately, being an early adopter has proven to be quite challenging and fraught with frustration.

Yes, I agree the S mode on the ST7 is effectively just a marketing gimmick since it doesn't provide much value in the real world.

My bigger problem turned out to be something much worse. My ST7 developed a problem where it wouldn’t provide power to motor the morning after rides where the motor got very hot, which was pretty much every ride. Turning it all the way off and on would fix it, until about two weeks ago when the bike just died in the middle of my ride with a e210003 error. The Omni turned on but nothing else worked, not even the horn or lights. Turning off/on or removing the battery didn’t clear the error. I had to walk the 80 pound bike home from nearly 10 miles away and up a 700-foot climb. It’s been in the shop since then, awaiting parts from Stromer (apparently a cable between the battery and a control unit shorted out).

This is already my second ST7. Stromer and my dealer replaced my first one when its distribution board shorted out, resulting in a very similar situation (Omni turned on but no power to the bike).

When the ST7 is working, it’s a fun bike. Unfortunately, being an early adopter has proven to be quite challenging and fraught with frustration.
Wow! 10 miles pushing that would have almost killed me (Chronic Arthritis, which is the reason i ride to 'lubricate' the muscles!)..... Punctures happen quite often for me and as you know, pushing is the only solution there because you cannot take the wheels off due to the special tool needed. Putting it in the wife's Jeep Cherokee is also not easy - mine weighs 36kgs. So glad we have TCS (Automobile Emergency Callout) to come and get us and take the bike home when it's really far. But the fun of Sports-Mode for only 15% of the total autonomy of this bike is just downright annoying for the price. With 52nm of Torque i pedal 15-20% less rotations than on the ST5 and if it were not for the Swiss Law limitation of 45kph for E-Bikes (we have to put number plates on here) then I could easily see an unbridled ST7 doing 70 kph on the flat. However, the flawed Sports-Mode would cut off sooner due to the overheating. Of this I am sure. I tried going at around 43kph max this afternoon in 25 deg C ambient to stop the S-mode breaking during my 17km ride. No good. So, basically we have to find a happy medium of slow leisurely pedalling on FLAT roads and put up with it. Pushing it will definitely break the S-mode and get you home in a bad mood (for the money spent). I definitely think the ST5 was more fun simply because it went twice further than the ST7 before it fizzled out and came back sooner too...... Less Torque you see (48nm). I have had the dealer check it out but they tell me "oh that's normal". Nice! :(

According to Stromer the S is only to be used for 30 seconds to 1 minute only. They had people before using and burning up there motors. During a software update they imposed when the motor gets to hot it shuts off before Breakage.

HubSink - Ebike Hub Motor Heatsinks to stop overheating and allow more power and better hill climbing https://hubsink.com

I think this might help

Just a thought

My friend Fritz is getting a bike like this on pre-order. He is always attracted to two factors that then get multiplied by each other to cause major problems. 1) Heavy. He is attracted to heavy bikes. 2) Complex. He is attracted to gee-whiz gizmos. What happens is that everything breaks on his bikes and no one local can really fix them cost effectively.
I like lightweight and simple bikes, under 20Kg. This one does not even display speed or distance, just like a regular bike, but it does have a torque sensing cargo motor that is simple to service. Replacing a chain is quick easy and not expensive. After several years the external battery can be replaced with any off-the-shelf external battery. Then later down the road the entire motor can be replaced with any motor because it is a universal mount. This one is on its way to Hollywood today. It is an extra-large frame and weighs in at 42.7 pounds (19.37Kg), with a 50/50 weight distribution.

Attachments

• Marin Team 1 Jupiter Foods.jpg
    Marin Team 1 Jupiter Foods.jpg
    781 KB · Views: 102
  • Motherboard Replacement.JPG
    Motherboard Replacement.JPG
    262.6 KB · Views: 81
According to Stromer the S is only to be used for 30 seconds to 1 minute only. They had people before using and burning up there motors. During a software update they imposed when the motor gets to hot it shuts off before Breakage.

HubSink - Ebike Hub Motor Heatsinks to stop overheating and allow more power and better hill climbing https://hubsink.com

I think this might help

Just a thought
Thanks but i would like to know who said that and where! Do you have the link? (your hubsink link doesn't work). 30-60 seconds of S-Mode usage on this 15,000 franc (17k dollars equivalent) bike is both ludicrous AND dangerous. If you are doing 45-48kph and want to then turn S-Mode off and have to literally take your eyes off the road to down shift the "+" button to 3rd gear AND check that the red S is now off after ONLY 60 seconds then, imho, that is VERY dangerous. I simply don't believe Oberwangen Head office (Canton Bern) actually ever said that..... Another thing for them to think about is this:- IF S-Mode fails to restart after a cooling down period and IF i have tried to reselect it then why must I try again and again to reselect it? It should KNOW what I want and upshift automatically when temperature has been reached...... this would stop me taking my eyes off the road 20 times (YES!). One can be so impatient to get S-Mode back that through frustration one is pressing the "+" button every 2 minutes when faced with a crossed out "S". Once should be enough. Just do it Stromer! There's still a LOT to be corrected on this VERY expensive bike after 10 years

Here's a nice tyre to replace the Stock Pirellis which are both VERY prone to punctures (hoof nails etc) and double the price. I am very impressed with the Schalbe. Don't know if they are avail in the States etc:- https://www.galaxus.ch/en/s3/produc...35-60-584-bike-tyres-16183059?supplier=406802
I really like the Schwalbe Pickup cargo tires. I have installed them on five bikes, three cargo bikes and one 40+ Kg bike. No flats on any of those frequently ridden bike in over one year.

Attachments

• Pick Up3 Mundo.JPG
    Pick Up3 Mundo.JPG
    223.6 KB · Views: 82
Back