Hello,
I’m a proud French owner of a ST7 since January and this is my very first post.
I’ve been riding about 500 km, mostly for commuting and I’m still learning to know the bike.
I also had some issues with the brakes, or more precisely said, with the recup mode.
As you, I experienced that strange feeling of fighting the regeneration force, that being confirm on the screen while pedaling (when the power regenerated appears on the bar scrolling from left to right). I noticed that always happened just after braking, even at short speed.
My dealer helped me to fix it without any software update.
In fact, when you use the brakes, it first slightly starts the regeneration mode (maybe for half a second) and then, the brakes work. There’s a sensor on the base of the brake lever, that sensor being controlled by a simple screw. When you get your bike, this screw might be too tightened and your ST7 continues considering that you are braking even after having released the brakes, and still continues to help you braking.
To fix that problem, slightly loosen that screw on both levers upwards (maybe half a turn or one turn). Find the right balance and that should work 😊. Notice : you’ll need to loose a very small security screw that blocks the main screw with a small Allen screwdriver.

I hope your bike will work fine when you get it back.View attachment 152770
The screw is the one with some blue on it.
Wow - thank you for this great post. I haven’t gotten my bike back yet but will try this as soon as I do.

Most people who post here did not buy the Stromer they are reviewing. Instead, they are given one to review. I did invest over $40,000 in Stromer bikes: St2s (which is no longer listed on the Stromer site), an ST5. All have died. The ST7 is a joke. If your Stromer bike turns on, you're lucky. Inevitably they will cause a fire. I wish the Stromer company could be held liable. Only Stromer dealers who have been victims of the Stromer fires are repaid. I believe this is a life or death matter, and Stromer should be held accountable. Get advice from a Stromer owner who tried to replace his or her car with a bike: If you turn to Stromer, it simply will not work. Instead you will be stranded or burned or both. All I can do is to try to warn potential innocent victims. Please be safe and find an alternative. I also own an M1: same problem: initially a great bike, but getting parts and service in the incompetent US market is devastating. For the price of a Stromer, you can buy a car, and probably survive. This e-bike is a killer. Is there no shame Stromer?

Most people who post here did not buy the Stromer they are reviewing. Instead, they are given one to review. I did invest over $40,000 in Stromer bikes: St2s (which is no longer listed on the Stromer site), an ST5. All have died. The ST7 is a joke. If your Stromer bike turns on, you're lucky. Inevitably they will cause a fire. I wish the Stromer company could be held liable. Only Stromer dealers who have been victims of the Stromer fires are repaid. I believe this is a life or death matter, and Stromer should be held accountable. Get advice from a Stromer owner who tried to replace his or her car with a bike: If you turn to Stromer, it simply will not work. Instead you will be stranded or burned or both. All I can do is to try to warn potential innocent victims. Please be safe and find an alternative. I also own an M1: same problem: initially a great bike, but getting parts and service in the incompetent US market is devastating. For the price of a Stromer, you can buy a car, and probably survive. This e-bike is a killer. Is there no shame Stromer?
Your bikes caught fire? How did your st5 die?

Leon,
Your full of it. All these reply on different topics. I have more then you in Stromer Bikes and well over 40k miles with only 2 issues and Stromer handled them with great response. I do not have a Dealer within 4 hours of me. No where on this site have you heard of a stromer catching fire. Bad batteries do this and 99.9% come from China. Please PROVE what you are saying lets see ??????

As far as M1 is concerned same great bike and I have had ZERO problems getting parts from Bobby Root.

Leon,
Your full of it. All these reply on different topics. I have more then you in Stromer Bikes and well over 40k miles with only 2 issues and Stromer handled them with great response. I do not have a Dealer within 4 hours of me. No where on this site have you heard of a stromer catching fire. Bad batteries do this and 99.9% come from China. Please PROVE what you are saying lets see ??????

As far as M1 is concerned same great bike and I have had ZERO problems getting parts from Bobby Root.
He's talking out of his ass. He thinks the new battery was sent in a deeply discharged state. I don't understand why he thinks that. He made a thread asking how long he should keep it plugged in? It's like he doesn't know to how to charge the battery.

I’ve searched high and low and haven’t found how much this bike weighs.
The ST5 weighs 67 lbs,, so I’m guessing this BIG BOY will weigh a good 80 lbs !
Gonna be a challenge loading it onto a bike rack and it may exceed the weight rating of said bike rack.
Anybody know how much this ST7 weighs?
Yup. 82 lbs! But it’s still pretty awesome

It’s a heavy bike, but without the battery it’s easy to maneuver onto a bike rack. That battery, though, weighs about 20lbs. You definitely do not want to drop it on your foot! 🤕 🩼
And definitely don’t drop the battery onto something hard, most likely will destroy it or make it unsafe.

Hello,
I’m a proud French owner of a ST7 since January and this is my very first post.
I’ve been riding about 500 km, mostly for commuting and I’m still learning to know the bike.
I also had some issues with the brakes, or more precisely said, with the recup mode.
As you, I experienced that strange feeling of fighting the regeneration force, that being confirm on the screen while pedaling (when the power regenerated appears on the bar scrolling from left to right). I noticed that always happened just after braking, even at short speed.
My dealer helped me to fix it without any software update.
In fact, when you use the brakes, it first slightly starts the regeneration mode (maybe for half a second) and then, the brakes work. There’s a sensor on the base of the brake lever, that sensor being controlled by a simple screw. When you get your bike, this screw might be too tightened and your ST7 continues considering that you are braking even after having released the brakes, and still continues to help you braking.
To fix that problem, slightly loosen that screw on both levers upwards (maybe half a turn or one turn). Find the right balance and that should work 😊. Notice : you’ll need to loose a very small security screw that blocks the main screw with a small Allen screwdriver.

I hope your bike will work fine when you get it back.View attachment 152770
The screw is the one with some blue on it.
Hello,

I am a proud owner of a ST7 since yesterday from France.
Except that I experienced the same issue you described after 100 km.
While I was climbing an hill, the regenerative function never stops !

I had to stop and that a break !
It allows me to that this picture bellow ;)
Then, I finished the climb with the move function (thanks god !).

I’ll try the fix you described and report the issue to my dealer !

Happy riding !

Attachments

• IMG_3378.jpeg
    IMG_3378.jpeg
    918.1 KB · Views: 139
Hello,

I am a proud owner of a ST7 since yesterday from France.
Except that I experienced the same issue you described after 100 km.
While I was climbing an hill, the regenerative function never stops !

I had to stop and that a break !
It allows me to that this picture bellow ;)
Then, I finished the climb with the move function (thanks god !).

I’ll try the fix you described and report the issue to my dealer !

Happy riding !
Please let us know if adjusting the screw works for you. I haven’t tried the adjustment yet as I just got a new replacement ST7 after mine completely died. My new ST7 has 4.4.1.5 firmware and the issue seems less pronounced, though still noticeable compared to my ST5.

I picked up my ST7 yesterday. What an amazing bike! I have experienced, even in the less than 24hrs I have owned it, the re-gen kicking in even without using the breaks. I have set the regen to zero and still, when coasting the bike you can feel the resistance on the motor. It seems to be more pronounced at the higher assistance levels and I would also call the issue intermittent. I would equate it to phantom breaking in a Tesla. So far I can overpower it but it is concerning when you feel it.

Attachments

• IMG_2268.jpeg
    IMG_2268.jpeg
    564.4 KB · Views: 136
I picked up my ST7 yesterday. What an amazing bike! I have experienced, even in the less than 24hrs I have owned it, the re-gen kicking in even without using the breaks. I have set the regen to zero and still, when coasting the bike you can feel the resistance on the motor. It seems to be more pronounced at the higher assistance levels and I would also call the issue intermittent. I would equate it to phantom breaking in a Tesla. So far I can overpower it but it is concerning when you feel it.
How do you like your bike rack? I’m thinking about a new rack that can handle my ST7 and my wife’s Riese & Mueller Homage. It’s a lot of weight and my Thule EasyFold XT2 doesn’t work well with that combination.

How do you like your bike rack? I’m thinking about a new rack that can handle my ST7 and my wife’s Riese & Mueller Homage. It’s a lot of weight and my Thule EasyFold XT2 doesn’t work well with that combination.
This was my first time using a bike rack... I did a lot of research, and this one seemed the best. Being new at this, I did not know what to expect, and there was a lot of trust involved especially picking up the bike in UT and driving it to Vegas. The pros of the rack are it is super simple to install with zero tools and folds up for storage. It is built like a tank with quality construction. I can get it on and off the car in less than 2 min. .. what I don't know if this is normal or not is the amount of wiggle (front to back) the bike had on the back of it. This could be because of the shape of the bike hitting the air or that I did not remove the battery, but the bike was flapping on the back of the rack; however, it was super secure, and there was no way it was coming off. I think I was more concerned about damaging the rack. Next time I use it, I will take out the battery. I think weight-wise, you are probably good with both bikes. According to their site, it looks like two bikes in a 2in receiver will max out at 240 lbs. I think the ST7 has such a large surface area that was causing a lot of resistance. I still highly recommend the rack, however. Also, get the ramp.

Attachments

• IMG_2278.jpeg
    IMG_2278.jpeg
    211.5 KB · Views: 95
This was my first time using a bike rack... I did a lot of research, and this one seemed the best. Being new at this, I did not know what to expect, and there was a lot of trust involved especially picking up the bike in UT and driving it to Vegas. The pros of the rack are it is super simple to install with zero tools and folds up for storage. It is built like a tank with quality construction. I can get it on and off the car in less than 2 min. .. what I don't know if this is normal or not is the amount of wiggle (front to back) the bike had on the back of it. This could be because of the shape of the bike hitting the air or that I did not remove the battery, but the bike was flapping on the back of the rack; however, it was super secure, and there was no way it was coming off. I think I was more concerned about damaging the rack. Next time I use it, I will take out the battery. I think weight-wise, you are probably good with both bikes. According to their site, it looks like two bikes in a 2in receiver will max out at 240 lbs. I think the ST7 has such a large surface area that was causing a lot of resistance. I still highly recommend the rack, however. Also, get the ramp.
Thanks for the quick response! What looked concerning to me in your photo is this rack appears to grip the bike just by the tires. Is that secure enough to keep such a heavy bike stable (vs. the Thule which grips the frame of the bike)? Also, does the ST7’s front or rear fender get in the way of securing the bike to the rack?

Thanks for the quick response! What looked concerning to me in your photo is this rack appears to grip the bike just by the tires. Is that secure enough to keep such a heavy bike stable (vs. the Thule which grips the frame of the bike)? Also, does the ST7’s front or rear fender get in the way of securing the bike to the rack?
The front fender seemed to clear with no problem... the rear had to be adjusted down to clear the tail reflector. This rack is totally held to the bike by compression on the tires. (or even Fenders. There are a few videos from Quickr that probably do a better job of explaining it. I am going to reach out to them as well to see if there would have been a better way...

Please let us know if adjusting the screw works for you. I haven’t tried the adjustment yet as I just got a new replacement ST7 after mine completely died. My new ST7 has 4.4.1.5 firmware and the issue seems less pronounced, though still noticeable compared to my ST5.
Why your ST7 died ?!

The front fender seemed to clear with no problem... the rear had to be adjusted down to clear the tail reflector. This rack is totally held to the bike by compression on the tires. (or even Fenders. There are a few videos from Quickr that probably do a better job of explaining it. I am going to reach out to them as well to see if there would have been a better way...
I reached out to Quickr; They looked at the pictures of how I loaded the bike and the video of the shake while driving. Here is what they said "
As far as loading goes, this looks like it is set up well to me. There is a bit of movement while driving, which you can't ever completely eliminate, but i have some suggestions. Two things come to mind - first thing is make sure you are really pushing into those spools that contact the tires while loading. You want to push those in with about as much force as you can. The tighter those arms are sandwiching your bike, the more stable it will be.

You could also use a Wheel Strap on the back wheel, which we typically recommend for e-bikes with fenders. You could use ours, or if you already have a Voile strap at home, that will work just fine. It will add a bit of stability and peace of mind that the bike won't go anywhere.

Your overall weight rating is well within the range for our tray (120 pounds), so I wouldn't expect any issues, but both of these are small things I would look at."
They were super responsive and helpful. I think I am just new to transporting a bike. I am going to try it without the battery next time and maybe less weight will be less stress on the rack as it moves.

I reached out to Quickr; They looked at the pictures of how I loaded the bike and the video of the shake while driving. Here is what they said "
As far as loading goes, this looks like it is set up well to me. There is a bit of movement while driving, which you can't ever completely eliminate, but i have some suggestions. Two things come to mind - first thing is make sure you are really pushing into those spools that contact the tires while loading. You want to push those in with about as much force as you can. The tighter those arms are sandwiching your bike, the more stable it will be.

You could also use a Wheel Strap on the back wheel, which we typically recommend for e-bikes with fenders. You could use ours, or if you already have a Voile strap at home, that will work just fine. It will add a bit of stability and peace of mind that the bike won't go anywhere.

Your overall weight rating is well within the range for our tray (120 pounds), so I wouldn't expect any issues, but both of these are small things I would look at."
They were super responsive and helpful. I think I am just new to transporting a bike. I am going to try it without the battery next time and maybe less weight will be less stress on the rack as it moves.
Thanks for sharing, Jason. I agree that it's generally a good idea to remove the battery -- it is safer (in some states the cops may stop you due to fire risk in case of accident), and the bike will be about 20 lbs lighter on the rack.

I heard an astounding rumor: with battery removed on the ST7, can you actually shut the battery door now? 😳
That would be a long awaited improvement.

Back