Protective Bike Gloves

byunbee

I took a small fall yesterday in gravel and scraped my hands. I grabbed my front brake too hard. I've never worn gloves when riding and this is probably the first fall I've had in 20 years. Regardless, I started thinking about getting some half finger protective gloves. I would prefer to get some thick durable full grain cowhide leather gloves that will last me a long time. I looked on Amazon, but I wasn't impressed by their offerings. So I'm reaching out to my friends on EBR to offer some suggestions. Thanks in advance!

I would really advice wearing thin, full finger gloves. There are plethora of them in the market.

The half-finger gloves are good for performance (MTB or road cycling) but won't protect your fingers in the case of fall.

These might be good for you. Look for "Mountain Biking Gloves"

I like synthetic gloves that I can wash. The gloves should have a terry cloth nose/snot wipe (and that is why I want washable gloves!) Performance bike shops had good gloves and they were inexpensive. Sadly, that company folded. Pearl Izumi is the name brand but too expensive for what I consider a high-wear disposable item.

I should try the Lidl grocery store Crivit brand gloves; $4.99 available starting Wednesday.

Found this. Still haven't decided. Overkill? I do want something that will last me years.

Those RDX's should last forever. I've lifted for well over 50 years and still have some 20+ year old Harbinger's. You almost can't wear out the palms. And I have used them with my bikes a couple of times - work fine. Won't give you as much knuckle protection as a motorcycle glove (Freetoo and Joe Rocket half fingers come to mind) - but I like the wrist support on these.

Was looking at getting some new lifting gloves (Glofit) but these look good - thanks for finding them.

Those RDX's should last forever. I've lifted for well over 50 years and still have some 20+ year old Harbinger's. You almost can't wear out the palms. And I have used them with my bikes a couple of times - work fine. Won't give you as much knuckle protection as a motorcycle glove (Freetoo and Joe Rocket half fingers come to mind) - but I like the wrist support on these.

Was looking at getting some new lifting gloves (Glofit) but these look good - thanks for finding them.
10% off to new customers and it’s free shipping with no tax. ~$25 total. Seems like a winner.

Took a spill @ 25 mph on gravel in the $2 cotton garden gloves with the kevlar bumps from discount store. they prevented skin damage. Cotton wicks off sweat on hot days. White ones can be seen better when I signal turns. Most drivers think I am waving to be friendly.

Byunbee, I'd recommend buying gloves that are washable. During warm weather rides your hands will sweat a lot wearing gloves. Leather would not be a good idea.

When someone falls off their bike the part of the hands that usually make contact with the ground are the palms. I've fallen off my road bike while riding on pavement (clipped the back wheel of the rider in front of me). I was wearing fingerless gloves and my fingers weren't scraped by the fall. The glove's palm took all the impact.

I have three sets of gloves:
1. Thicker full finger winter gloves
2. Thin (Spring & Fall) full finger gloves
3. Fingerless gloves for late Spring to early Fall riding.

Personally, I look for gloves that have some extra padding in the palms for cushioning, because I have a problem with three of my fingers, on each hand, going numb over a long ride.

Byunbee, I'd recommend buying gloves that are washable. During warm weather rides your hands will sweat a lot wearing gloves.

I have three sets of gloves:
1. Thicker full finger winter gloves
2. Thin (Spring & Fall) full finger gloves
3. Fingerless gloves for late Spring to early Fall riding.

@byunbee ,

Listen to these suggestions by Deacon.
I have 3 different kind of gloves (same as Deacon) for winter-spring-summer riding conditions. Get something washable.

For summer and spring, you would want thin, breathable gloves.

@byunbee ,

Listen to these suggestions by Deacon.
I have 3 different kind of gloves (same as Deacon) for winter-spring-summer riding conditions. Get something washable.

For summer and spring, you would want thin, breathable gloves.
They are all good advice, but where I live, the temperatures are never extreme and I really don't see a need for a glove for each season. I live in southern California less than 10 miles from the coast. The summers are dry and during winter months 55F is a cold day. Thanks for the suggestions though.

When someone falls off their bike the part of the hands that usually make contact with the ground are the palms. I've fallen off my road bike while riding on pavement (clipped the back wheel of the rider in front of me). I was wearing fingerless gloves and my fingers weren't scraped by the fall. The glove's palm took all the impact.
This is so true. My palms were also scraped but my fingers were fine since the natural instinct is to brace yourself for impact by putting your palms on the ground.

You can get fairly inexpensive weight lifting gloves that are synthetic and pretty breathable but will protect your hands and are easily washable.

I used to have a pair of kevlar belay gloves (similar to these) that were excellent hand armor during janky mountain bike rides. The kevlar gloves were super-breathable.

They are all good advice, but where I live, the temperatures are never extreme and I really don't see a need for a glove for each season. I live in southern California less than 10 miles from the coast. The summers are dry and during winter months 55F is a cold day. Thanks for the suggestions though.
I wear lightweight full fingered padded cycling gloves for temps under ~65°F. For even cooler weather I add wind proof 3 finger 'lobster' shells. Not necessary in So Cal, but handy up here in the mountains! The shells only weigh an once or so, so I bring them on most of my cool weather rides just in case. The gloves are machine washable because in cool weather they get sweaty.

For warmer weather I wear padded 1/2 finger gloves, also lightweight. I've got a couple pairs of these as they get sweaty and smelly pretty fast in warm weather. Machine washable as well.

I buy different name brands when they're on sale. I've got a pair by Pearl Izume and Specialized. They're comparable in my mind.

My sons raced cross country MTBs in school. Crashes were a fact of life. They were coached to practice 'staying in the cockpit' for crashes. Stay clipped in to your pedals, don't let go of the grips, knees and elbows into your body. Worked pretty well for them. I've adopted the same philosophy. Cracked 3 helmets in the last 10 years with just minor scrapes. The bike took most of the impact so torn up bar ends and scrapped up shoes and pedals.

Back