Protective Bike Gloves

If you want protection, motorcycle gloves come in a large variety of styles with generally more robust construction than superlight bike racing gloves that only have lycra covering the back of the hands and thin leather on the palm side. I suggest a mesh glove with leather palm side. I am attaching a page from Iron Pony. I bought 5 pairs of gloves from them (Five brand from France) for about $20 each. They included knuckle armor, multi-layer leather palms in spots and work well in warm weather. https://www.ironpony.com/ecommerce#/categories/Parts/Riding_Apparel/Gloves/Street

I had an off or two at speed riding off-road (motorcycle..) with mx-type mc gloves. They shredded pretty thoroughly on the first off. I decided I’d rather risk sweaty hands in the future vs mesh ‘protective’ gloves, and have been kind of shaking my head at most of the ‘bike’ gloves I’ve seen, at least for trail/mtb use.
A bit of knuckle protection and side of hand would be ideal..no barkbusters on emtbs….
Actually, a few of the Five gloves on their full site don’t look bad - checked out the closeout link but nothing in my size - any other US-based sellers of their lineup?

I use my BMW Rallye gloves on my dual sport and my ebike. Really good protection
247FA7E6-A029-4E2C-B094-216A8E6DE1FE.jpeg

If you want protection, motorcycle gloves come in a large variety of styles with generally more robust construction than superlight bike racing gloves that only have lycra covering the back of the hands and thin leather on the palm side. I suggest a mesh glove with leather palm side. I am attaching a page from Iron Pony. I bought 5 pairs of gloves from them (Five brand from France) for about $20 each. They included knuckle armor, multi-layer leather palms in spots and work well in warm weather. https://www.ironpony.com/ecommerce#/categories/Parts/Riding_Apparel/Gloves/Street
I got a surprisingly good quality pair of motorcycle gloves on ebay, $12 & change, warm & durable
leather that will save my hands if I have to lay it down, . They have a zippiered cuff that extends
well up my wrist. Tried finding ´em in ´my ebay´, but too far back to show. They´d make good ski
gloves as well. The quality is on par with gloves I´ve seen at 4x the price. I can´t believe they
were so cheap, much better than I had expected.

I use my BMW Rallye gloves on my dual sport and my ebike. Really good protection
View attachment 112024
Those'll work! I've got some now-aging RevIts with a similar knuckle armor and a handful of others sitting around; it's probably worth seeing what I've forgotten I have.

I took a quick look at current RevIt lineup (I think I actually bought my first pair from...BMW ;) ), and these are kinda what I'm thinking.

Those'll work! I've got some now-aging RevIts with a similar knuckle armor and a handful of others sitting around; it's probably worth seeing what I've forgotten I have.

I took a quick look at current RevIt lineup (I think I actually bought my first pair from...BMW ;) ), and these are kinda what I'm thinking.
Those looked really good ´til a saw the price

Those looked really good ´til a saw the price
Yeah, not much is cheap anymore and RevIt never really was.. :(
Having said that, I’ve seen Fox MTB gloves and POCs at $70+, and ‘nothing but mesh’ at $30+ so it’s kind of all relative. Those Five brand gloves aren’t cheap either but the close outs at Iron Pony are giving ‘em away…may look for some close outs. kinda wish newenough.com were still around for ‘last year’s gear’ and good close outs..

I agree with washability. I also want palm padding and finger tip reinforcement protection. The ones on the left are high visibility mechanics gloves from an auto parts store. The high visibility part is effective. You can also use touchscreen devices. The ones on the right are generic leather gardening gloves. I will use those today because it is foggy and they keep out the wind. They have been treated with equine leather products to make them soft and water resistant.
1642613224223.jpeg

I wear these RINGERS gloves March to early November.

• TPR impact protection on top of hand and full length of fingers
  • Kevlar stitched palm; high visibility for increased safety
  • CE rated for EN388 level 2 cut and Puncture resistance
  • Limited slip grip system on palm & fingers
  • Extended airprene wrist closure

RINGER VIZ GLOVES.jpg

and also these RINGERS gloves same time frame...
  • Split-fit padded palm
  • Compression molded knuckle protection
  • 3mm high density foam palm padding
  • Hidden seam design
  • Hook and loop rubber pull tab closure

RINGER BLK GLOVES.jpg

Got them at a Liquidation Warehouse for $10 a pair

In the winter I use these gloves that have finger protection and zip closure pockets to hold handwarmer packs.

OUTLAND GLOVES.jpg

Mechanic's gloves. I always have a pair or 2 lying around. I'm using a pair of the original red ones that might get noticed. I also have a pair of armored ones. There really nice. So far this Fall there keeping me warm.

Not really needed for wx today, but I wear them anyway.

Attachments

• 20221013_132250.jpg
    20221013_132250.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 176
After trying just about every suitable bike glove I could get my hands on, I started browsing the aisles at Home Depot. I generally use the Firm Grip armored for warm weather anymore. They wear about the same as bike-specific gloves, have padding in all the right places, grip is awesome, and are about 1/3 the price of something made for bikes. But my local HD has a couple dozen types on hand, so there are choices. I haven't bought a pair of bike specific gloves in years.

I use a a Burton GoreTex ski glove for winter commutes. Not armored, but they're leather and padded so give a little - plus they're gauntlet gloves. $50/pair too so pretty affordable for good cold weather gear.

Mechanix gloves give protection and have touch screen-capable fingers, not found in most big box hardware store gloves.

Great deals can be found with a little Googling.

Like others, I've been looking for a lightweight riding glove to serve as (1) a windbreak for my fingers in San Diego's cool, damp ocean air, and (2) a palm protector in falls.

Based on this conversation, decided to try the BONTRAGER Circuit Twin Gel Full Finger Glove. The gel part refers to the external silicone palm pads. The fingertips are touchscreen-compatible.

20221130_173001.jpg

So far, so good. My hands usually take large gloves but needed XLs in these. Very comfortable, but untested on long rides. More than adequate on the windbreaking front. Decided against a test fall.

I have tried many of them. My favorites are $20 at the auto parts store. They have highly reflective external finger tips and touch screen finger pads. They are high vis orange, and breathe yet protect from the wind and have padded palms. Cars pay attention. These would be $65 at a bike shop.

For a photo from last January see #48 above. Now I have two pairs. My bike spokes model as a woman's fit pair from that big river in South America that starts with the letter A and so does her kid. He envied his mom's now he doesn't want to take his off.

For a photo from last January see #48 above. Now I have two pairs. My bike spokes model as a woman's fit pair from that big river in South America that starts with the letter A and so does her kid. He envied his mom's now he doesn't want to take his off.
Those mechanic's gloves check all my boxes and are high-vis to boot. Will check that river place you mentioned.

When I worked on my own cars and motorcycles, way back in the Late Bronze Age, I scaped a lot of knuckles. Palms didn't draw a lot of fire, but apparently that's different for the pros.

Last edited:
mechanic's
MechaniX branded gloves are often found at reduced prices. Good armor and smart screen capable. My stroke meds make me a bleeder and their gloves mean I can wrench without being a bloody mess. AND I’m well protected in a fall. Always less expensive than gloves claiming bike centric use. But those Bontrager look nice. But not protective enough for my maladies.

Back