Protective Bike Gloves

Update on summer cycling gloves

I have to admit I'm ignorant regarding, say, the best of the best brands in cycling clothing. Yes, I've heard of the name Pearl Izumi.

I use two pairs of summer cycling gloves both by German brand CHIBA, as it is popular in Europe.
  • CHIBA 2nd Skin: warm and waterproof full gloves. I wear them when it's raining. On heavy rain, your hands become cold fast. The 2nd Skins make my hands dry and warm even if the outer layer is totally soaked. Tip: Once the gloves are soaked, don't take them off until you reached your destination. The internal membrane makes it hard to reinsert your palm inside the glove when the latter is wet.
  • CHIBA Bioxcell Super Fly: Thickly padded fingerless gloves.

I’m in the voting block for thin full fingered gloves with leather or faux leather palms. I buy cheap mechanic’s work gloves generally. Never cared for short fingered bike gloves as they often cut off my circulation.

Last edited:
I also have many pairs of full fingered riding gloves, but I bought a pair of these at the start of last summer specifically for the hot weather because they were cheap enough to risk it, and they have been surprisingly good.

The seams across the inside/top of the thumb is slightly thicker than I would like, but overall they have been completely acceptable, look good, and have a decent amount of palm padding. They also breathe well on the backside. They stretched out a fair bit during break-in so sizing down might be called for, but they are holding up very well with at least 1,500kms of riding on them now. I'd happily buy them again at $20.

I took a small fall yesterday in gravel and scraped my hands.
Don't dwell too much on this issue.

If you have no idea where to start, begin with whatever you can afford.

The most important thing is to wear something. Anything.

Expensive gloves can waste you a lot of money since you don't know what's best for you yet. Just because one person loves a $100 set of gloves, someone else can hate them entirely. There simply isn't a best.

Even covid nitrile gloves with the fingers cut off could have saved half your injuries. Seriously, car mechanics wear them all the time, and prevents bleeding knuckles. The point is that wearing something anything is better than nothing.

Even covid nitrile gloves with the fingers cut off could have saved half your injuries. Just because one person loves a $100 set of gloves, someone else can hate them entirely.
Seriously?! I’ve had a number of spills on the trails and not once did I ever consider wearing anything on my hands as thin as nitrile for protection. I wouldn’t go as far as spending $100 on gloves but something reasonably priced with appropriate padding over vulnerable areas would suffice. A trail riding buddy of mine also swears by his Mechanix gloves. I have a couple of sets of MTB gloves and use one as a spare as the other always ends up getting muddy. The only time I use nitrile gloves on the trail is for field repairs and always carry a pair in my kit bag.

Newbie here. I didn't know a whole lot about biking gloves. But for a first try I bought the Giro Monaco II gel gloves:

I wanted the padding in the gloves and the yellow color makes my hand signals stand out. Visibility is always a good thing on a bike. So far I'm pleased with them.

I took a small fall yesterday in gravel and scraped my hands. I grabbed my front brake too hard. I've never worn gloves when riding and this is probably the first fall I've had in 20 years. Regardless, I started thinking about getting some half finger protective gloves. I would prefer to get some thick durable full grain cowhide leather gloves that will last me a long time. I looked on Amazon, but I wasn't impressed by their offerings. So I'm reaching out to my friends on EBR to offer some suggestions. Thanks in advance!
Wouldn´t ride without ´em, even if they´re just a pair of leather work gloves from a hardware store,
not too tight or too loose. I´ve ridden with finger-less padded palm bike gloves. Comfy, but better to
protect the whole hand. Hands can save you a face plant; gloves can save your hands,

Newbie here. I didn't know a whole lot about biking gloves. But for a first try I bought the Giro Monaco II gel gloves:

I wanted the padding in the gloves and the yellow color makes my hand signals stand out. Visibility is always a good thing on a bike. So far I'm pleased with them.

Using hands during a fall typically means broken wrists. It is the safest to fall with the bike. If that's the over-the-bars, one should do anything to fall on their back.
Ain´t no good way to fall, but some are better than others. I prefer falling to the high side & landing on
my well cushioned butt.

I've learned over time not to obsess over gloves, other than to always, always ... always use them. I wear gloves for the fall, not for the ride. So... full finger.

A lot of the choices in full finger hinge on finger length. Apparently I have large hands and longer than usual fingers if glove fitment is any indicator. Gloves seldom have long enough fingers or wide enough palms and that leads to circulation being cut off. So for me its tough to find cycling gloves that fit.

I have settled on deerskin work gloves from the hardware store. They are generously cut, and the fingers are long enough for me. My December 2017 accident where I went for a short flight and in part broke my landing with my palms resulted in no skin damage (I hit so hard/fast I would have torn off a lot more than skin) but badly sprained wrists. The gloves did their job.

Deerskin > your typical calf skin in that it is thinner and much, much softer, and of course more expensive... but still cheap by cycling glove standards. And they are in every Home Depot or Ace Hardware for an easy try-on fit. After awhile I will soak them in water to dilute the dried sweat. They'll dry tough, but that will work its way to butter soft in a day. Same goes for riding with them on in a rainstorm. Just wrinkle them up in your hand and they soften right up.

Leather work gloves do get hot in the summer, but so does everything else as its typically over 100 fahrenheit here. Its just a fact of life. In winter, I wear polypro or neoprene liners that let me go down to freezing temperatures and stay comfy.

A pair of these work gloves will last a year or more in daily use. The rattier they look the more comfy they feel. I seldom take a picture of my gloves, but if I take a pic of the bike oftentimes the gloves are in frame somewhere, tossed onto or near the bike.
PXL_20210324_220259144.jpg

I have gone back to the classic or retro fingerless cycling glove: goatskin leather palms, crotchet cotton on top. Despite being leather, these are hand-washable in cold water. (I put some Obenauf's leather preservative on them after washing.) They run a bit large, and they shrink a tiny bit after washing. Also inexpensive.

They also have a gel version of these gloves.

In sunny climes, such as found in Southern California, the opening on the top of the gloves will allow that part of your skin to tan more, imprinting you with tell-tale "cycling hands." It's a badge of honor in my book!

Last edited:
Some brand endorsements:

I have an ancient pair of kevlar belay gloves that are awesome for protecting my hands when thrashing through the jungle. An approximation are these:

What is with you guys and falling ? Maybe try a fat tire bike. Much more stable in unpredictable situations.

Some brand endorsements:

I've been using the fingerless version of the PI Attack gloves. Really comfortable, but the Velcro closure is completely shot after 90 days.

Seems like he is doing pretty much the same thing you are.
I'd like to think that every member here is doing the same, that's a forum community :)

I never once recommended something specific to the OP and their question.

I've notice most here love to tell others what they MUST do because the BEST way is the ONLY way.

I see a ton of stuff in EBR threads I don't agree with (too many know it alls), but I don't add to them and just leave them be.

And I certainly don't insult anyone, call them pathetic, nor ask for their job resume to see if I am better then them.

Your posts just get worse this time of the day, considering the time in poland, Im guessing you just get nasty when you drink.
Might be a language issue where he doesn't understand English and needs to google translate everything, understandable :)

For me, mittens are warmer than gloves on a cold day because, since gloves are longer than mittens, there is a higher chance that heat might not be contained or trapped inside the gloves. This makes mittens warmer than gloves. Seams for hand clothing gear translate to insulation. With mittens having fewer seams, there is less chance that heat can escape from the fabric. The last, fingers occupying the same space, is warmer than using gloves.
From ebay I bought a $12 pair of gloves listed as motorcycle gloves. I´m amazed at both the quality
& warmth of such cheap gloves. 40 yrs. ago as a skier I probably spent $100 plus over several seasons
for gloves not as good as these. My hands sweat wearing these gloves, & never get cold. The leather
stitching is 1st rate, durable & comfy.

If you want protection, motorcycle gloves come in a large variety of styles with generally more robust construction than superlight bike racing gloves that only have lycra covering the back of the hands and thin leather on the palm side. I suggest a mesh glove with leather palm side. I am attaching a page from Iron Pony. I bought 5 pairs of gloves from them (Five brand from France) for about $20 each. They included knuckle armor, multi-layer leather palms in spots and work well in warm weather. https://www.ironpony.com/ecommerce#/categories/Parts/Riding_Apparel/Gloves/Street

Back