CF Racer1 Road Delivered Today

really a great looking bike. Looks super fun to ride! what’s the use case for a carbon frame flat bar bike with road tires and road bike geometry?

View attachment 176397

Now have full SRAM kit. SRAM NX cassette 11-50, GX AXS derailleur, Force 1 Carbon cranks, GX chain, and HS2 rotors. The only things stock on this bike now are the electronics, rims/tires, and the seat post.

The flat bar conversion was a PITA. I used an FSA ACR headset, FSA SMR/ACR stem 100mm, and FSA ACR compatible handlebars. I’m not even sure if the headset I used is available anymore. I’ve had it for a while. From it I only used the top bearing, compression ring, and top cap. The FSA headset and stock headset are not interchangeable even though they appear to be. For someone who doesn’t feel comfortable wrenching any reputable bike shop should be able to do the conversion. I am now done modding this bike. My total investment including the bike is around $3700.00 which I feel is well worth it. In stock form this bike is a bargain and the mods I’ve done are just icing on the cake.
I am curious to know what is your forward speed when pedaling up a decent incline on the 50T. Must get a bit wobbly if you're going too slow, doesn't it? :)

The back wheel looks to be 32 spokes-is that correct?
The only thing holding me back from ordering one of these bikes is that I already have a very nice e-gravel bike (Cannondale Topstone Neo Lefty 3), which I really like riding.
It's only downside is it weighs 39 pounds.

The back wheel looks to be 32 spokes-is that correct?
The only thing holding me back from ordering one of these bikes is that I already have a very nice e-gravel bike (Cannondale Topstone Neo Lefty 3), which I really like riding.
It's only downside is it weighs 39 pounds.
Rear wheel has 36 spokes and the front 28 I believe. It’s either 28 or 32, I forget. Rear is definitively 36 spokes.

The Cannondale is a very nice bike. I’ve looked at it and the Salsa Skitch. Both bikes are more than what I wanted to spend so I took a chance with the CF Racer. For what you pay it’s a great buy. Biggest issue is it only comes in two sizes. R1P really needs to fix that and offer another size in between the 50 and 56 they offer now.

I recently went back and rewatched 3 review videos on the CF Racer 1.
I'd like some feedback on what I see as two negatives. First, is the flat, wide handlebar. It looks great for resting your hands on the top for a change of position, but it looks to be next to impossible to mount a light or horn on this handlebar. Has anyone who owns this bike tried to mount anything on the handlebar?
Second, is the way the power levels work. From what I can tell from the videos, each power level go up to a specific speed then cuts out. If the rider whats to go faster and maintain power from the motor he has to shift into a higher power level.
Is that correct?

I can’t comment on mounting anything to the drop bars because I swapped them out for flats. As far as the power cutting out that’s not true. It will provide assistance up to 28 mph, then the motor cuts off. I‘ve never experienced any motor cut out with my bike until I hit that 28 mph speed. I’ve said before this is not a powerful Ebike. The assist is very subtle and you really don’t notice it until level 3. The best change I made to the bike is the smaller 38T front ring and 11-50 cassette. With only 42nm torque this greatly improved the bikes climbing and acceleration ability. What makes this bike is the light weight. I’ve done 10 to 15 mile rides and never turned the bike on. I just didn’t need the assistance. I use the assistance like a turbo boost, on to climb a steep hill, then back off on the flats. It’s perfect in that aspect and is ideal for the type of bike I wanted. If you’re used to 750w bikes and higher that catapult you up hills with little to no effort on your part, you probably won’t like the CF Racer.

I have the full range of bikes; from my carbon Defy road bike, to my Bosch powered e-gravel bike, to my 2200W commuter and mountain bikes.
I love my Defy, but at 72 I'm really starting to hate those hills. That's why I'm thinking the CF Racer 1 might be a good replacement for my Defy, which can switched over to smart trainer duty.

I have the full range of bikes; from my carbon Defy road bike, to my Bosch powered e-gravel bike, to my 2200W commuter and mountain bikes.
I love my Defy, but at 72 I'm really starting to hate those hills. That's why I'm thinking the CF Racer 1 might be a good replacement for my Defy, which can switched over to smart trainer duty.
Based on your description, the CF Racer 1 seems like a great fit for you. I feel like it is like a really good road bike, where you have pedal assist when you need it. For me, it’s perfect for the 50+ mile club rides, where I can ride motor off OR dial in assist for the major climbs or fast pace lines. Some of the group can sustain extended 300+ watt FTP efforts, and I need the assist to keep up (or bridge the gap).

The top bar is flat, and really does help with comfort on the long rides. It is more difficult to mount equipment, but usually a creative use of cut plastic sheeting, zip ties and or rubber o-rings will do the trick for me.

CF Racer 1 is highly recommended, and especially for roadies that like the traditional bike experience.

I can’t comment on mounting anything to the drop bars because I swapped them out for flats. As far as the power cutting out that’s not true. It will provide assistance up to 28 mph, then the motor cuts off. I‘ve never experienced any motor cut out with my bike until I hit that 28 mph speed. I’ve said before this is not a powerful Ebike. The assist is very subtle and you really don’t notice it until level 3. The best change I made to the bike is the smaller 38T front ring and 11-50 cassette. With only 42nm torque this greatly improved the bikes climbing and acceleration ability. What makes this bike is the light weight. I’ve done 10 to 15 mile rides and never turned the bike on. I just didn’t need the assistance. I use the assistance like a turbo boost, on to climb a steep hill, then back off on the flats. It’s perfect in that aspect and is ideal for the type of bike I wanted. If you’re used to 750w bikes and higher that catapult you up hills with little to no effort on your part, you probably won’t like the CF Racer.
Just to be clear, if you're riding at around 18-20 mph in level 1 the motor is still putting out a bit of power?

One caution though, the torque wrench R1P provides is junk. Don’t trust it. I’ve seen two posts now where people have cracked the seat post area from using the wrench. I used my Park Tool wrench.

Back