PLANET3 - mechanical e-bike derestriction device. https://planet3.bike/

Nice of you to pop in .. I'm old school no Facebook or Twitter but your fame proceeds you on the forum.

QUOTE="Alex @ PLANET3.bike, post: 290416, member: 25315"]
Oh, you guys are having quite a little PLANET3 party over here. :D

Most of the reviews and positive feedback is on Facebook groups for Levo/Kenevo. I guess forum folk haven't really felt a need to write their overwhelmingly positive experiences. :p (and I'm not the one to poke and prod them into doing so.. the less the better as I'd rather "hardly work" than "work harder".) 😂 But @Mark Stubbs is leading in this regard, so.. thanks Mark! And as far as test of time goes - warranty against material defects is 1 year/10k miles and there's 50% off on "crash replacements". I still have the first one on my bike with 9000+ km on it and around 50+ installs/uninstalls.
[/QUOTE]

Alex, I have a Creo E5 aluminum model. Is it correct to assume what works for the carbon models and the Vado SL also works for my model?

Do you only take Paypal for payment, or do you accept major credit cards as well?

Seriously. on topic. This leaves no trace as far as trek specialized giant is concered ..just an old guy who rides slow ?

Seriously. on topic. This leaves no trace as far as trek specialized giant is concered ..just an old guy who rides slow ?
Not sure about Specialized but Giant are very severe for individuals who request honouring their warranty but the computer tells the dealer someone had two or three lower average speeds than the rest. It is always a delicate balance between the higher speed convenience and the risk of losing the warranty.

While the 25 km/h restriction is something you can live with in an e-MTB, having such a restriction in a commuter e-bike is infuriating.

Not sure about Specialized but Giant are very severe for individuals who request honouring their warranty but the computer tells the dealer someone had two or three lower average speeds than the rest. It is always a delicate balance between the higher speed convenience and the risk of losing the warranty.

While the 25 km/h restriction is something you can live with in an e-MTB, having such a restriction in a commuter e-bike is infuriating.
Really? I expect some folks among the marketing depts and legal depts of the big three at least to encourage such devices since most of the online companies sell unrestricted ebikes..anyway I may pay a ticket for speeding but i don't lose my warranty

Really? I expect some folks among the marketing depts and legal depts of the big three at least to encourage such devices since most of the online companies sell unrestricted ebikes..anyway I may pay a ticket for speeding but i don't lose my warranty
No, no, Art. You are getting that wrong.

since most of the online companies sell unrestricted ebikes..
...in North America. Such crap is banned in Europe.

For example, if any of the Big Three tried to sell street illegal bikes or encouraged users for breaking the law in Europe, that might end up with a lawsuit (it could be filed by the Government) and it would lead to huge penalty or ban for given company. There was a tragic accident in France involving a de-restricted e-bike and it was loud in the media. In case it is the user de-restricting their e-bike, it is the user's responsibility. The large e-bike companies have to play fair.

The EU speed restriction has its good sides. All e-bikes (except of street legal S-Pedelecs) are treated as regular bikes and their users enjoy all the benefits such as riding dedicated bike paths, MUPs or off-road trails. On the other hand, the S-Pedelecs, after being properly registered and insured, are road legal, the same as mopeds. These must be properly equipped.

See this German e-MTB:

It is a road legal EU S-Pedelec (45 km/h or 28 mph). Apart of being a really good e-MTB, it is equipped with the support for the number plate (illuminated), rear light with the STOP light, the Supernova M99 Pro headlight, and a horn. (It could be my single e-bike if I made a double wheel set for it).

The American people may not understand that. The U.S. e-bike laws are vague and either not enforced or there are many e-bike bans in different locations. In Canada, no S-Pedelec is allowed but at least the speed limit is 32 km/h (20 mph): I could live with that.

Reportedly, there are 10 times as many e-bikes in Europe as in North America. The speed restriction is a rather delicate matter here.

P.S. On topic: I don't know what I would have done had I a 25 km/h restricted EU commuter e-bike here. Either take the risk and buy Planet3 from Alex or suffer until the warranty period were over.

Last edited:
My neighbour is thinking of buying one for her recently purchased Vado 4.0 (Canadian limit is 32kph). I'm glad that it's easy to install, since I volunteered to install it for her.
It's even easier than on the video as the sensor carrier on the frame doesn't have to be replaced on this particular model.

Oh, you guys are having quite a little PLANET3 party over here. :D

Most of the reviews and positive feedback is on Facebook groups for Levo/Kenevo. I guess forum folk haven't really felt a need to write their overwhelmingly positive experiences. :p (and I'm not the one to poke and prod them into doing so.. the less the better as I'd rather "hardly work" than "work harder".) 😂 But @Mark Stubbs is leading in this regard, so.. thanks Mark! And as far as test of time goes - warranty against material defects is 1 year/10k miles and there's 50% off on "crash replacements". I still have the first one on my bike with 9000+ km on it and around 50+ installs/uninstalls.
Now tackle the Trek Allant series please!

I put the Planet3 on my 2020 Vado 4.0. It has a slightly different hub than the US model and Alex got the correct part to me in 24 hours. Easy to install and works really well.

My 70 minute is down to 50 minutes.

Would this work on a BH Atom Diamond Wave Pro with a Brose motor?

And how is battery life affected?

Would this work on a BH Atom Diamond Wave Pro with a Brose motor?

And how is battery life affected?
I hope @Alex @ PLANET3.bike could answer all these questions...

Regarding the battery life: I think you mean "battery range" because the battery life only depends on how often it is being charged. Battery range? Far shorter with any speed-enabled e-bike if you're riding fast. Let me give you a real-life example (it does not matter how the high speed is achieved: a Class 3 e-bike or a de-restricted Class 1 one):

Average speed of 11 mph: 70 miles
Average speed of 14 mph: 50 miles
Average speed of 18 mph: 34 miles
Average speed of 20 mph: 26 miles.

The data above refer to me riding a mid-drive motor e-bike with a 600 Wh battery on the flat in typical summer riding conditions (long rides).

1599634652388.png

Yes, thanks, battery range is what I meant. I hope Alex will answer. Perhaps I should have also asked if it will work on an internally geared hub.

Back