Over50's Trek Allant 9.9s Chronicles

The last time I had a click in my pedal the damn thing fell off and I had to walk and mile and a half through the woods. LBS had put them back on the wrong sides after removing them.

Obviously yours aren't backwards, but maybe the left one is cross threaded just a bit? Since you can actually feel it?
Good point. I guess I'll hoist the beast up onto my bike stand (hope it can hold it) and see what I can find.

I detached and reattached the right pedal and the clicking sound/feel appears to be gone.

Quick question - when you guys let off the pedals and let the bike coast do you get a sandy/grinding sound? It feels to me like there is friction that physically slows the bike down from freely coasting to me.

Big sigh of relief. Finally the bike is back home. New electronic SRAM setup and Onyx hub. I did a 5 mile test ride and plan a couple of 20-30 mile rides in the coming days. The new hub is silent which allows me to listen for other noises. Next most prominent is the electric noise of the Bosch motor and an electric/whir noise when shifting. Apart from the electric motors, it was all silence for the 5 short miles.

A few observations on only 5 miles:
  • I like how the SRAM setup has left a very clean cockpit area - fewer cables
  • On downshift, it sounded like a mechanical derailleur. On upshift I only heard the slight whir of the electric motor
  • The AXS App: when attempting to set the multi-shift, the App warns the user that if multi-shift is used on an e-bike, it will void the SRAM warranty (not the exact wording). Based on that warning, I decided to not set the multi-shift. I'll be curious to hear what other owners of the system think/did
  • The hub was silent at all times

AllantNew_A.jpgAllantNew_B.jpgAllantNew_C.jpgAllantNew_D.jpgAllantNew_E.jpgAllantNew_F.jpgAllantNew_G.jpg

Big sigh of relief. Finally the bike is back home. New electronic SRAM setup and Onyx hub. I did a 5 mile test ride and plan a couple of 20-30 mile rides in the coming days. The new hub is silent which allows me to listen for other noises. Next most prominent is the electric noise of the Bosch motor and an electric/whir noise when shifting. Apart from the electric motors, it was all silence for the 5 short miles.

• On downshift, it sounded like a mechanical derailleur. On upshift I only heard the slight whir of the electric motor
  • The AXS App: when attempting to set the multi-shift, the App warns the user that if multi-shift is used on an e-bike, it will void the SRAM warranty (not the exact wording). Based on that warning, I decided to not set the multi-shift. I'll be curious to hear what other owners of the system think/did

View attachment 56623View attachment 56624View attachment 56625View attachment 56626View attachment 56627View attachment 56628View attachment 56629
That's great news! Can you send a link to the hub that you ordered? I couldn't seem to find it on their website. If I can just order one of those and have my LBS install it for me then I won't have to wait for Trek to resolve this on their own. I saw someone listed the part number but I couldn't find it that way either.

That's great news! Can you send a link to the hub that you ordered? I couldn't seem to find it on their website. If I can just order one of those and have my LBS install it for me then I won't have to wait for Trek to resolve this on their own. I saw someone listed the part number but I couldn't find it that way either.

Well I went on what my LBS told me to order given they were installing the SRAM. I don't know if that makes any difference in which hub one would have to order. I really recommend you let the LBS advise. But with that caveat out of the way, I ordered SKU 086734. When you search that SKU on their site you are then presented with some options. 32 holes for me and I did not choose the Alloy freehub option (default option is stainless). And then color is the last choice.

Onyx MTB CL XD-142/12mm Thru-bolt Rear Hub

Here's the link. Again, if I were you I would not order without first checking with the LBS:

Well I went on what my LBS told me to order given they were installing the SRAM. I don't know if that makes any difference in which hub one would have to order. I really recommend you let the LBS advise. But with that caveat out of the way, I ordered SKU 086734. When you search that SKU on their site you are then presented with some options. 32 holes for me and I did not choose the Alloy freehub option (default option is stainless). And then color is the last choice.

Onyx MTB CL XD-142/12mm Thru-bolt Rear Hub
Got it! Thanks!

View attachment 56623View attachment 56624View attachment 56625View attachment 56626View attachment 56627View attachment 56628View attachment 56629
The AXS App: when attempting to set the multi-shift, the App warns the user that if multi-shift is used on an e-bike, it will void the SRAM warranty (not the exact wording). Based on that warning, I decided to not set the multi-shift. I'll be curious to hear what other owners of the system think/did

Not aware of that, sure am curious if/how/when I'd know otherwise if the LBS was not informative and it was supposed to be my responsibility to know how they configured it, etc., no?

...Not aware of that, sure am curious if/how/when I'd know otherwise if the LBS was not informative and it was supposed to be my responsibility to know how they configured it, etc., no?

If you have/downloaded the SRAM app, there are a few settings you can manipulate/set (after pairing your phone to the derailleur). It looked to me that multi-shift was off by default. If you haven't changed it via the app then I'm betting your's is off as well.

Well maybe the SRAM app isn't as useful as I thought:
  • instruction manual says 5-25 hours of riding on a full charge of the derailleur (not sure why such a wide range)
  • I recalled from reading reviews or watching videos that folks were citing 20 hours
  • The battery indicator in the app is easier to read and appears more precise vs the flashing LED on the derailleur
  • after pairing with my phone and setting up the app, it appeared my SRAM battery was about 2/3rds full
  • yesterday went on a 30 mile ride of over 2 hours ride time - the battery indicator appeared the same on return
  • I had planned another 30 mile ride today but about 1 mile in, the derailleur died. Damn. Went back home and charged for an hour whilst I took the GSD to the grocery store
  • settled for a 15 mile ride on the Allant rather than the planned 30
I just ordered a second SRAM battery - to carry a spare on rides. But got me thinking that when I get back to commuting, the battery is something I will probably need to remove when I lock the bike. Maybe a tiny probability a thief would know anything about the components but it is easily removed and it costs $55 to replace (Amazon price). When I had the BadAss Box on my Haibike, I removed it when locking the bike at work. I figured there was little possibility any thief would spot it or know what it was even if spotted. But on the other hand it did cost +$150 (and only available overseas) and is easily removed so I figured I might as well take it with me. The SRAM battery is similar. I'd hate to be 20 miles from home and find out that someone swiped my $55 battery - or to have it die as it did to today (fortunately close to home).

Bike was really smooth on these two rides. 30 miles was easily achieved (stop in the middle at a coffee shop) with no discomfort. I did not fully charge the 625 WH battery and returned home with approx 45 miles estimated remaining in Eco. Most of my ride was in Eco.

I'm at about 750 miles and time for an update - a couple of hundred miles since the hub was replaced. I haven't had any further issues and its been a true pleasure-ride. I do believe more strongly that Eco mode on the Bosch Performance Line motors is too strong. I posted with some other bikes that I've owned that I wished for a lighter version of Eco - maybe 35%. That was back in the commuting days. Now that all of my riding has been fitness-around town rather than commuting, I notice it more. I can do a 25 mile ride almost all in Eco and it just doesn't feel like much work. If I ever get back to commuting I'll appreciate the speed and power this bike has. On the Riese and Muller with the Gen 2 motor and a Rohloff hub, I would sometimes rely on Sport mode when commuting back home - particularly if I had headwinds. I have never relied on or used Turbo mode much on any of my Bosch bikes. On the Allant, if I've been in Sport mode its been by accident. I've never used Turbo. I'd guestimate I'm 90% Eco for those 750 miles and 10% Tour. I've had the bike past the cutoff - around 29-30 mph using Tour on a flat.

And I channeled the spirit of @David Berry and got my first flat tire. Actually it is my first flat on any e-bike I've owned. I guess I've been over-confident and I thought with the Tannus liners that my setup was bomb proof. But I came home from an easy 10 miler yesterday, cleaned the bike and all was fine. I geared up today for a planned 30 miler. Only to find a flat rear tire. I was as deflated as the tire and settled for doing 15 miles of errands on my GSD. I can now attest that the Tannus claim is true that I could have ridden on that flat tire (they claim you can ride a limited distance at slow speeds on a flat). I spotted the head of a very small copper-colored nail embedded deep in the tread. I haven't pulled it out yet. When I do, I will inspect thoroughly and speculate as to whether the object, whatever it is, could have penetrated the tread of the Schwalbe Super Moto-x. I haven't had a flat on the Super Moto in probably over 5K miles on several bikes. I'm going to try to get it into my LBS for the Bosch software update too.

Maybe my Specialized Vado SL 5.0 EQ will be ready in the near future. I look forward to posting some ride comparisons. I think the Allant and the Vado SL should complement each other nicely.

Sorry about the flat. I thought when my Onyx hubs came in I’d have Schwalbe Marathon E-plus to swap out the Bontrager stock for my Allant. Schwalbe North America says their 27.5 2.0’s wouldn’t be in to next month. He also had some doubt the 2.0’s would fit my rims. Right now I’d settle for Super Moto X. They've been great on my SC7

Sorry about the flat. I thought when my Onyx hubs came in I’d have Schwalbe Marathon E-plus to swap out the Bontrager stock for my Allant. Schwalbe North America says their 27.5 2.0’s wouldn’t be in to next month. He also had some doubt the 2.0’s would fit my rims. Right now I’d settle for Super Moto X. They've been great on my SC7

Yeah weird about the flat. I'm pretty sure that Tannus does not advertise any sealant capabilities. And we didn't add sealant. From Friday's cleaning to Saturday's discovery - less than 24 hours, the rear tire was mostly flat - enough air or cushion from the Tannus to ride slowly. I found the nail head and left it as is. Pumped the tire back up to 40 psi and left it. Today about 20 hours later it feels like its still around 35 psi.

My Kiox is on order. Had a discussion w LBS on Bosch software update. They confirmed I can choose to leave the existing (lower) torque setting while still being able to take advantage of any other future updates. I'm opting for the lower torque because existing 75nm is more than sufficient and should give me better battery performance vs 85.

I did a 40 mile ride to my office on Friday under good weather conditions. Just a 5-7 mile wind that was headwind for some of the trip. I charged the 625WH to 97% and estimated range at outset was 65 miles. I did not use a second battery and I didn't power my phone from the Cobi.

I'd guestimate I did 50/50 Eco and Tour. Eco in the residential and short sections and Tour in the open-road sections. My average speed was about 15.5 and max was 27 mph. So revising Bosch's initial range estimate for a 50/50 Eco/Tour ride would yield about 49 miles. At the end of the ride of 40 miles, the estimator said I had 15 miles of Eco riding left hence the initial estimate was pretty accurate.

A range in the 50s however is the best I was seeing with my Haibike (class 1 derestricted) using a Powerpack 500 with 100% charge. I'm guessing mid-60s range then is the max potential of the Powertube 625 for this bike for me using a mix of Eco and Tour. A comparison of best-cases between two commuter bikes gives me an estimate of only 10 or so more miles of range for an extra 125WH of battery.

I pickup my new wheels today. I wanted to replace the Bontragers with Schwalbes mainly for better puncture protection. I tried the E-Plus but never found it in the right size so, with everything in at the LBS, I ordered Schwalbe's Mondrial...more money, top compound, lighter than the E-Plus...Puncture protection at a 6 versus the e-plus at 7. rode first thing when I got home. Quiet yes sir. Now I could hear the motor , not bad really, no whine to it as with my SC7. In touting the Onyx hubs silence I should mention the tires...2.0 versus 2.4. They seem to be quieter and speedier. I like'em. BTW the tech convinced to get new rims etc. with the build. A year and a half ago I would refuse to believe I could ever spend what I did...not on a new bike but two wheels. there's a lot I didn't know I needed like the Thule rack...I hope Court gets kickbacks from the BIG Bicycle conglomerates .
Anyone familiar with Pro's Closet? I just filled out their info section and sent pictures of my SC7. I wonder about the store credit remuneration...since I'll probably plow the money back into a guest bike.

Attachments

• IMG_0283.JPG
    IMG_0283.JPG
    856.2 KB · Views: 546
  • IMG_0284.JPG
    IMG_0284.JPG
    1,003.1 KB · Views: 531
I pickup my new wheels today. I wanted to replace the Bontragers with Schwalbes mainly for better puncture protection. I tried the E-Plus but never found it in the right size so, with everything in at the LBS, I ordered Schwalbe's Mondrial...more money, top compound, lighter than the E-Plus...Puncture protection at a 6 versus the e-plus at 7. rode first thing when I got home. Quiet yes sir. Now I could hear the motor , not bad really, no whine to it as with my SC7. In touting the Onyx hubs silence I should mention the tires...2.0 versus 2.4. They seem to be quieter and speedier. I like'em. BTW the tech convinced to get new rims etc. with the build. A year and a half ago I would refuse to believe I could ever spend what I did...not on a new bike but two wheels. there's a lot I didn't know I needed like the Thule rack...I hope Court gets kickbacks from the BIG Bicycle conglomerates .
Anyone familiar with Pro's Closet? I just filled out their info section and sent pictures of my SC7. I wonder about the store credit remuneration...since I'll probably plow the money back into a guest bike.

Those HX 531's are beefy rims and I would say better than Trek rims.
With the Onyx hub, now the bike really has top notch components all round and it would be a delight to ride!

Thanks Ravi...now get cracking on that belt drive road bike...I’m selling one which means buying another

Please tell us more

Well as I posted previously, I wasn't really a fan of having my phone front and center on the bar. Moreso for security reasons: in a commute scenario, where I'm riding alone, usually in the dark. I didn't want someone to mistake my lowly Samsung device for an I-phone leading to an armed phone jacking at an intersection. Anyway, I got the Kiox a few weeks ago but the stock mount does not work with the proprietary stem on the 9.9s. I hunted high and low for the Acid mount for Kiox as seen on various OEM websites such as Moustache, Cube and KTM. This is the mountain bike mount. I could not find it available in the US or EU. I sent out several inquiries to some well known Bosch e-bike sellers and received responses indicating the mount would not be widely available until later in the Fall. I was checking the web every few days and early this week it showed up as available on the @Scooteretti website. They overnighted it to me. So thanks to them. The LBS did the swap and I gave the Cobi to the LBS manager who wanted it for one of his bikes.
1601079582716.png

Last edited:
Back