Over50's Trek Allant 9.9s Chronicles

The bike was unrideable.
The tire was completely flat when I stopped, perhaps it was going flat for a bit before I was aware.
Perhaps the run flat feature would work if the bike were not so heavy. I am carrying two extra batteries in my bag.

My bike has finally returned home with a new light (the final modification). The M99 Mini Pro 45. Too bad the streets are full of snow and salt. Test riding and reporting on the results of the Tannus liners, carbon rims and new light will be delayed until we get some cleaner streets and decent weather.

: 453604536145362

Love it! Was the delay due to the connector, obtaining the light or the mount? Which mount was used and was it a "plug and play" install (wiring)?

...Was the delay due to the connector, obtaining the light or the mount? Which mount was used and was it a "plug and play" install (wiring)?

Delay was due to various factors. First, I sent the LBS down the wrong path by asking for the M99 Pro. They couldn't readily find a mount that worked for the Pro and ordered something from Germany. Also the wiring would require some rework which necessitated dropping the motor. While we were waiting for a mount to arrive, a trusted forum member advised me that the M99 Mini Pro 45 is the way to go because it is made to be more plug and play with Bosch, doesn't burn as hot, is smaller etc. LBS did not have access to this light but I was able to find a source for purchase. A mount shipped with the light but I don't know the name or whether the mount was a standard/stock item. I can find out if needed. The mount worked but the light isn't exactly centered - rather it sits just left of center which is perhaps better for city riding. The angle is easy to adjust. We are waiting for an appropriate clamp for the high-beam button pad (on order). Now it is affixed with double sided tape but seems secure. The stock clamp for the button pad is made to mate with a Magura brake clamp. LBS said the light swap wasn't too difficult but with the stem and internal routings did require some manipulation of the wires and it helped that the motor was already dropped as initial plan was to install the M99. They spliced in at the light and made a change in the Bosch software but that was about it. It was finished the day after I dropped off the light. I haven't tried the light at night (plan to do so today just in my backyard). I think it is 700 and 1400 lumens whereas the Bontrager was 500 lumens per the Trek website (and I assume that is the high beam). I will also use backup rechargeable lighting as I do on all my bikes. I have a camera mount on the handlebars on the Trek and it pairs with my Blackburn DayBlazer 800.

Having had the M99 Pro on the previous Super Commuter, it's interesting that the Mini Pro is now the way to go. I find that it's tough to find the "old" Pro too, but nonetheless good luck with the Mini Pro. Curious if it has a toll on any of the battery power, and if so, percentage wise how much (I'm sure Supernova must have those specifications).
So, curious to know, is your warranty OK or null and void because of the retrofit?

Last edited:
...So, curios to know, is your warranty OK or null and void because of the retrofit?

With Bosch? Trek? Or both? No idea. I'd like to think my LBS would go to bat for me if needed - given I'm a good customer. But since commuting in the dark is a risky venture I'd opt for the brighter light and take the risk with the warranty.

I lined up a few bikes in my basement, turned out the lights and did some comparison. I like the wider beam of the M99 on high. I'll have to find just the right angle such that I'm not pissing off oncoming drivers. Pictures are in order: M99 Mini low beam, M99 Mini high beam, Tern Vektron G2 (stock light no high beam option), R&M Charger (stock Supernova not sure of model, no high beam), Knog Blinder rechargeable bike light on high beam (maybe the brightest of the bunch but I probably wouldn't buy Knog ever again - but another story):

Love it! Was the delay due to the connector, obtaining the light or the mount? Which mount was used and was it a "plug and play" install (wiring)?

I should have mentioned that @Chris Nolte was instrumental in the successful completion of the light swap. He provided me with very good advice and I was able to get the M-99 Mini Pro 45 from Propel with a mount that worked for the Allant.

I gave my carbon bike a salt bath with a 30 mile commute yesterday. And it was my first time riding dual-battery. On startup, I received a message from Cobi that a software update was available for the bike. Is Bosch pushing software update messages via the Smartphone Hub? So, rather than locking my bike for the day at my office I left it at a nearby shop which did the update for me (and I took the trolley the last mile to work). I'm going to drop in tomorrow and leave them with a Starbucks gift card because they were really cool about bringing them a non-revenue chore (they are an affiliate of the shop that I purchased from). I averaged 15.7 mph for the 30 miles. I was pleased with the ride and the bike's performance. I rode almost exclusively in Tour mode where 22 mph is around my top speed. My ride to work was at a leisurely pace because I did not plan to shower on arrival.

Today I commuted almost 36 miles on my R&M and averaged 16.8 mph. I had much less favorable wind conditions today on the R&M ride but that was offset by an extreme amount of luck with the stoplights and by the fact that I was pushing a lot harder today on the R&M. I rode mostly in Tour and a small amount in Sport.

I'd say the R&M is the more comfortable ride between the two. I tightened up my Brooks saddle over the Christmas holidays and I liked the firm feel. The R&M has a wider bar that I feel gives me a more favorable hand position and doesn't stretch me out as much. It is heavier and is harder to get moving but both were similar riding in Tour mode in that I max out around 22 mph while pushing fairly hard. Sometimes with favorable or neutral wind conditions I can keep the R&M around 24-25 mph in Tour mode for a similar effort level. Both bikes are Performance Speed motors but different generations. My Allant 9.9s motor is still a bit whiney but I understand it will quiet down after some break-in.

RE: "On startup, I received a message from Cobi that a software update was available for the bike. Is Bosch pushing software update messages via the Smartphone Hub?"
Do you know if it is a OTA update or must it be done by the dealer?
Do you have any indication as to what the update consisted of, did, improved or modified?

RE: "On startup, I received a message from Cobi that a software update was available for the bike. Is Bosch pushing software update messages via the Smartphone Hub?"
Do you know if it is a OTA update or must it be done by the dealer?
Do you have any indication as to what the update consisted of, did, improved or modified?

I think it was a dealer update because the startup message said to take the bike to the dealer. I believe it was battery related but I didn't get a lot of info when I picked up the bike (different person). I'm going back today or tomorrow so I'll ask for some additional info.

Shop said the Bosch update was labeled as "battery charging optimization". That's about all the info they could provide.

The commuting routine is on hiatus due to my participating in a work-from-home corona-readiness exercise of unknown duration. Today I had planned a 35 mile bike commute but instead had to settle for an 8 mile ride to the grocery store on my lunch break. The store was packed with shoppers but the shelves, at least for non-perishable food items like canned soup, were almost bare. But that is another story.

Anyway, I tried to get Cobi to communicate with Strava but that didn't work out so well. I had the Strava app open and Cobi and the setting in Cobi set to sync with Strava. Nothing happened on Strava when I checked after my ride. When I got home, I changed my free trial to a pay account so not sure if that will help in the future.

When I first got the Allant I had an older Android device with a very minimal protective case. The Cobi mount grabbed it pretty well and I had no issue with flying phones. I upgraded phones within the last couple of weeks and I bought a bulkier cover. Today on some bad pavement my phone took flight. Fortunately the SUV behind me passed over it without making contact. I figured "user-error" and took time to re-secure the phone and ensure that I had grabbed it as much as the jaws on the Cobi mount would allow. Next block the phone took flight again. Another car passed over it without making contact. Boy was I lucky because I declined the insurance on the phone. The phone seems fine with no visible scratches, dents or dings. But, as some others have posted, I can't really trust this Cobi mount and/or I have to look for another phone cover that allows Cobi to get a better grip. My biggest complaint about the bike initially was the weak front headlight. I spent some dough and remediated that weakness. I guess my next biggest complaint is the Cobi app and hardware. I wish the Kiox was an option for this bike. Commuting through sketchy areas in the dark, I really don't want my phone visible and I certainly don't want to ride with a lack of confidence thinking my phone might fly away in traffic.

Other than that, the bike sure rides sweet. I"m interested in the upgrade to the SRAM AXS made by @Alaskan. I'm waiting to hear from my shop on cost and work effort.

I too agree, the Cobi app is worthless, sucks, why bother, too much distraction, etc. Agree that the Kiox would have been better. At least give the end user the option, and not dictate what must be. Another major blunder by Trek. Don't get me wrong, nice bike, bad planning and development. Same story, this sucks, that sucks. This is nice, that is OK, that is not. Cannot please everyone but heck, I got a $6k e-bike, I did not need to spend 8-12k for a R&M, and MAYBE Trek will get it right next time.

Re: Shifting (not hijacking your thread):
I’m taking the time to attempt to describe fully the problem, again, possibly in more detail so it is clearly understood.

Upon downshifting and applying pressure to the trigger shifter, each press of the lever does not return fully to it’s initial position, it’s like pressing a sponge, and you know of feel the lever slowly return, in milliseconds, and not a crisp, defined, specific acknowledgement of each movement. As the gears go from 12 to 11 to 10 to 9 etc., each reduction of gear presents itself with the problem more defined as the successive presses are achieved. There have been times that the lever performs almost in a slow motion, like it is in a rubber surround, or like an opposite force inhibiting it from fully snapping back.

This is the issue, non-resolved from the start, even though the dealer has replaced the cable.

I’m at the end of my level of patience.

About 425 miles after 20 today during an afternoon work break. Bike is running smoothly and I do think it has become quieter. The most dominant noise is the freewheeling buzz from the hub. I feel the motor is becoming quieter. Love the suspension effect coming from the Tannus running around 42 psi. Or perhaps its the right combination of Baramind bar, Tannus, Kinekt and the carbon rims. Really nice ride on 90% of the pavement conditions I've experienced - and for that 90% I'm not missing a suspension fork at all. Now with mild temps I'm starting to see some really good range too. Extrapolating on Bosch estimates and I'd say 80 miles riding 85% Eco. I'm usually charging battery to estimated 80-85% and getting initial range estimate in the 60s. Returned today after 20 miles with estimated 40 remaining and just over 50% charge.

About 425 miles after 20 today during an afternoon work break. Bike is running smoothly and I do think it has become quieter. The most dominant noise is the freewheeling buzz from the hub. I feel the motor is becoming quieter. Love the suspension effect coming from the Tannus running around 42 psi. Or perhaps its the right combination of Baramind bar, Tannus, Kinekt and the carbon rims. Really nice ride on 90% of the pavement conditions I've experienced - and for that 90% I'm not missing a suspension fork at all. Now with mild temps I'm starting to see some really good range too. Extrapolating on Bosch estimates and I'd say 80 miles riding 85% Eco. I'm usually charging battery to estimated 80-85% and getting initial range estimate in the 60s. Returned today after 20 miles with estimated 40 remaining and just over 50% charge.
Glad to hear yours is running smoothly. Same here now, I have not made any changes from stock. I have the same mileage, 461 miles this morning. I took it in for a checkup at 300 miles, and they made some small adjustments. Freewheeling buzz is the same, this hub has more pawls and was designed that way, so I am getting used to it. Getting similar results on battery, and love the bike. Now the weather needs to get warmer so we can ride more!

Thanks for posting pics of the additional rail/battery. I’m really interested to know if you find a solution for a cover. For my next bike I absolutely need the option of having at least 1000Whs locked on the bike. However, I won’t need the second battery all the time. Therefore esthetics and whether protection play an important role.

So far I have identified five Bosch powered class 3 candidates with dual battery setups:

- Trek Allant series w/ dual battery
- Haibike Sduro S9.0 with the multi-rail system.
- R&M Supercharger
- Flyer GoRoc 3 w/ 45Km/h optimization and dual battery
- Scott e-ride 10

So far the R&M is the bike I find to be the most appealing as it addresses the weather/aesthetic problem. All the others leave the cradle exposed, except for the Scott which has the second battery tucked under the porter. I think manufacturers should realise that people won't be using the second battery all the time and provide some sort of cache/protection.

One of these will protect the important parts

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

500 mile update (537 to be exact) addressing some of the issues brought up by other owners on the forums:

• flying batteries: hasn't happened yet. battery feels solidly locked into place. but just in case, I've been using a wide, soft, velcro strap wrapped around the downtube after locking the battery into place - I always try to pull the battery out to ensure it is locked in
  • flying phones: happened to me twice with an Android device that had a somewhat minimal protective cover. I purchased the thinnest protective cover I could find and no issues since. The Cobi mount can only safely grab onto the thinnest of phones
  • bike shutting off while riding or losing battery connection: happened to me once back in Feb or Mar on the return leg of a commute. That day, I rode to work on some really slushy, dirty, wet streets and an LBS close to my place of employment cleaned the bike for me and did a software update while I was at work. Riding home, the bike just shut off on me. I rode about two blocks without power, fumbling with the controls not sure what had happened. turned off/on and into Eco and it responded. At the time, I figured that maybe some connection with my phone had been lost. It hasn't happened since - once in 537 miles
  • bad hubs: not sure yet - see odd noises below
  • odd noises and creaking: right after purchase I had a creaky stem (after the Baramind had been installed). LBS went over the bike and checked torque on everything and noise gone. Just recently, I've developed a noise that I think is the hub but am not 100% sure. On freewheeling, I just have the buzz from the hub. As soon as I engage the pedals, it sounds like I have a frantic duck trapped in the bike. The more pressure I have on the pedals and the slower I'm going the louder it is. It has become embarrassingly loud and I think the bike is becoming not ride-able due to the noise. I feel no resistance pedaling and feel nothing odd with the ride. Once I'm at speed and pedaling with a smooth cadence, it dies down but doesn't completely go away. It really sounds like a duck quacking. It is rhythmic and 100% tied to pedaling the bike. It disappears completely if I stop pedaling. Email to the LBS today hoping to get service soon. I don't notice the motor noise anymore. Maybe I can't hear it over the duck
  • drivetrain: no issues. hoping to execute on the SRAM electronic change + hub swap but my LBS is backed up and not able to schedule any new service appointments until later in June
  • other observations: extremely smooth riding bike and was quiet until it wasn't (recently). I get a lot of suspension-effect that I think comes from the Tannus tire liners but could just be a combination of the carbon rims, suspension bar and seatpost and liners. For 85% of my hours in the saddle I haven't missed having a suspension fork

Last edited:
Hi Over50,

Exactly 510 miles, and mine has been great. No flying batteries, although I am very careful when I reinstall to make sure tight.

Only issue I am having is the scratchy, grinding noise that I had mentioned to you privately. Was intermittent starting at 100 miles, they could not find a problem at 300 mile checkup - but since 400 miles noise is non-stop. Syncs with the cadence of the back wheel, not the pedals. I think hub, tech says hub is fine, talking to Bosch. Bike is in the shop right now. Will report on outcome.

Unlike GuruUno, Alaskan, and you, my bike is still totally stock.

Happy Riding!

New member here. First post.

I had been researching electric bikes for quite some time and I finally pulled the trigger on the Allant 9.9s yesterday. My LBS gave me a great deal on it and so far I've been ridiculously pleased.

I'm mostly a runner but I mix in some mountain biking (old Kahuna hardtail 29er that's still serving me well) and some road biking (Trek Domane SL5) here and there. I don't do a ton of riding - I maybe get up to 125-150 miles per week in the summer when running in the south gets tough!). Anyway - I bought this bike to use for multiple tasks such as commuting (I have a 9 mile commute each way), running errands, active recovery days, and just plain fun!

I'm going to ride over to my local REI later today to pick up some panniers and a good bike lock. Starting to eye some other accessories but so far I'm just having an absolute blast riding the bike!

I HAVE had the bike shut down on me once so far. Not sure if it's due to a bad connection with the phone (this is what I suspect) or what. It's easy enough to remedy but it's a little bit a buzz kill to the flow when it happens.

Anyway - happy riding!

Back