Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

.........and some days you just don't know who or what's going to sneak up on you.

IMG_5036.JPG

Miss Me?

View attachment 128760
Stuck in London since last Sunday because of a cancelled flight. Hoping for getting out today... Many e-bike stories to tell but I need to be at a large screen PC to do that 😊

Stefan, did you get withdrawl symtoms from not being able ride any of your ebikes?? lol ;)🚲🚲
Looks like the beer helped you get through it.

Stefan, did you get withdrawl symtoms from not being able ride any of your ebikes?? lol ;)🚲🚲
Looks like the beer helped you get through it.
I was WALKING instead :) Even if I can hardly WALK :D

1657657412417.png

Our standard walking route. The area is full of entertainment! The most picturesque part of South London in Southwark (read: Soh-dock).

1657658465108.png

As I got stuck in London by a cancelled flight, I moved to a familiar hotel at Old Kent Road (Eurotraveller Premier near to Tower Bridge: highly recommended!), and I & @Brix had an 8 kilometre walk on last Monday :)

Important: I met several e-bikers and was talking with them. One of them could be @DiggyGun but the guy denied it :)

I was WALKING instead :) Even if I can hardly WALK :D

View attachment 128799
Our standard walking route. The area is full of entertainment! The most picturesque part of South London in Southwark (read: Soh-dock).

View attachment 128804
As I got stuck in London by a cancelled flight, I moved to a familiar hotel at Old Kent Road (Eurotraveller Premier near to Tower Bridge: highly recommended!), and I & @Brix had an 8 kilometre walk on last Monday :)

Important: I met several e-bikers and was talking with them. One of them could be @DiggyGun but the guy denied it :)
8km walk, thats impressive, I find cycling legs dont like walking.
I'll let it go this once, but dont be walking kms in England again.

I'll let it go this once, but dont be walking kms in England again.
Oh. 5 miles if that makes you happy :D

Our London Adventures

After I had arrived in London on Friday 8th of June, spent several hours to get in Soh-dock from the Luton Airport, met Brix, and settled in the hotel, there was some time to get oriented in the part of the city south of the Thames. Of course, we had to get to the Beer Mile :)

1657681402852.png

Waiting for food in an Italian restaurant in Southwark Street.

Yet, the real adventures began on Saturday.

1657681519813.png

The famous "Richard" (The Shard) skyscraper which is located by the London Bridge Station (this side of the river). It is doable to get onto the top for sight-seeing but we have never found time to do that!

1657681710106.png

An impressive view on the City of London from the almost forgotten Southwark Bridge (1921). There is a poor link of that bridge to the traffic system, making that bridge hardly used. There, cyclists have the absolute traffic priority in the Southwark Bridge Road! Road signs explicitly encourage bikers to ride in the middle of the lane, and the drivers have to follow the bikes.

1657682099065.png

The barely visible white building with the red flag is the Shakespeare's Globe Theatre. As I spotted a pier there, I decided we took the river to get to the famous Battersea Power Station. The UberBoat (running several Thames Clippers) was a painful experience. Long waiting queues, misleading information etc. made us waste one-and-half hour before we could get onto the proper boat! Yet, our sacrifice was worth of the suffering. (Necessary to mention, there is a heatwave in London now).

1657682424381.png

The iconic Battersea Power Station, famous of the cover of the Pink Floyd "Animals" album. Decommissioned in 1978, it almost fell to ruin until 2014 when a Malaysian consortium was given the task of revitalising the neighbourhood. Now, the area has gentrified and is a posh housing quarter.

1657682931138.png

In the front of the Battersea Van Moof LBS. I'm not a fan of the brand. Yet, as the LBS was located in a posh area and the dealer knew how to sell those e-bikes, they were selling like hot buns!

No picture but let me tell you a story. After a walk along the power station and back, I spotted a tall, helmet wearing handsome man by a Riese & Muller e-bike. Intrigued, I approached him for a chat. He rode a Roadster v2. I complimented his e-bike, asked if I could lift it, and having done so I asked the man for the e-bike weight. He said "24 kilograms" (not "pounds", @Chargeride!) and I mentioned my Vado of the same weight. He mentioned heavier R&M e-bikes, describing them as "long-distance runners" and naming his own e-bike "a city thing", to which I assured him his Roadster was a legit long-distance runner if he carried a spare battery in his pannier (which he owned). Then I asked him whether the other e-bike behind him was his, too. No, it belonged to his wife. He mentioned "Trek" to which I immediately added "a Verve+", making the man impressed with my knowledge in e-bikes :) And when he learned I and Brix were Polish, he exclaimed "My wife is Polish, too!" I even asked the guy whether he (by chance) could be nicknamed @DiggyGun! :D (Of course, not). What a story!

1657683702211.png

The only place on that side of the river where the all four iconic chimneys can still be seen from (the other place is Chelsea behind the river, or the Thames itself). Otherwise, the power plant is surrounded by high apartment blocks.

1657684013891.png

Back in Southwark's Druid Street. Enid Street ("The Beer Mile") and Druid Street offer plethora of bars and restaurants located in railway viaduct arches. Here, the "Garage".

1657684285987.png

Vinegar Yard near to the Guy's Hospital, The Shard, and the London Bridge Station in St. Thomas Street.

There, I approached a group of young people; one of the guys carried an e-bike battery on his forearm. A chat again. The guy rode a Decathlon's Riverside e-bike with a Shimano mid-drive motor. An interesting talk again!

Sunday. I was just entering the Luton Airport to learn my Warsaw flight was just cancelled. I do not want to elaborate on how I felt. Two more days in London!

1657685936757.png

Starting Monday "morning" (actually, an afternoon!) in the Tower Bridge Arms (a BrewDog pub).

1657684669645.png

A picturesque St Catherine Quay east of the London Tower. That area is rarely trampled by the foreign feet as tourist think there is nothing east of the Tower Bridge! The flowery place is The Dickens Inn. Located in an 18th c. wooden/brick warehouse, it was started by Charles Dickens' great grandson in 1976, and it is reportedly still in the family hands. If you are there, do not hesitate to climb to the top floor! An excellent restaurant serving quality British food in cozy environment! (And the prices are very reasonable as for the location!)

1657685343814.png

And the yachts? Do you think Russkies have just evaporated from Londongrad? :D

1657685048517.png

Inside the Dickens Inn. The thing is Cumberland Sausage on Mashed Potato with Brown Sauce. Delicious!
(
No air condition inside but the structure kept cold, and there was a nice breeze from the window).

1657685271140.png

The ebb of the Thames.

1657686009662.png

Tuesday morning in the hotel's parking lot/smoking area. A nice professional conversion of a Carrera Krakinos bike. A Direct Drive motor, the battery expertly mounted with Velcro straps, and the controller under the saddle.

On Tuesday morning, I had an extremely fast trip to the Luton Airport by trains (as I seem to have mastered the transportation system of London) :D but then the flight was delayed by more than two hours again...

Last edited:
Im reading that just as much of a tourist as you.
I rarely visit the capital, in fact I was shown a picture of the skyline and didnt recognise it as London, you've sparked my interest to revisit, last time I took my ebike in the van and rode around like a delivery rider.
Its just sooooo busy and so multicultural, something Im not used to and quite an assault on the senses for a hick like me.

Im reading that just as much of a tourist as you.
I rarely visit the capital, in fact I was shown a picture of the skyline and didnt recognise it as London, you've sparked my interest to revisit, last time I took my ebike in the van and rode around like a delivery rider.
Its just sooooo busy and so multicultural, something Im not used to and quite an assault on the senses for a hick like me.
As a frequent visitor to London (and having a local guide), I actually liked the diversity of the city, and eventually could to some extent understand the local geography. I was pretty fond of the public transportation (although I hate the slow moving, shaky buses there). Simple rules, payment by card or smartphone. My final trip from Old Kent Road to London Luton Airport looked like that:

• Jumped on the bus at Old Kent Road Stop "F". It was a wrong bus (and I should have known that!). Getting off on the next stop, crossing the Tower Bridge Road, switching to another bus to Elephant & Castle, where I was in no time, still on a valid virtual ticket;
  • A few steps to Elephant & Castle Rail Station, buying a ticket in a machine, climbing onto the platform. I very few minutes, I was on a slow train towards St. Albans City
  • Jumped off on the St. Pancras International. Very few minutes of waiting on the same platform, and I was on a fast train towards Bedford. Off in Luton Airport Parkway
  • Very soon on the airport shuttle bus (the train ticket worked there).
The travel took about an hour, and it was very short given the road distance would be 37 to 58 miles... in traffic jams.

P.S. I'm being told by Londoners there is no faster way of travelling inside London than a bike... Another observation: Almost all London cyclists wear helmets.

Last edited:
As a frequent visitor to London (and having a local guide), I actually liked the diversity of the city, and eventually could to some extent understand the local geography. I was pretty fond of the public transportation (although I hate the slow moving, shaky buses there). Simple rules, payment by card or smartphone. My final trip from Old Kent Road to London Luton Airport looked like that:

• Jumped on the bus at Old Kent Road Stop "F". It was a wrong bus (and I should have known that!). Getting off on the next stop, crossing the Tower Bridge Road, switching to another bus to Elephant & Castle, where I was in no time, still on a valid virtual ticket;
  • A few steps to Elephant & Castle Rail Station, buying a ticket in a machine, climbing onto the platform. I very few minutes, I was on a slow train towards St. Albans City
  • Jumped off on the St. Pancras International. Very few minutes of waiting on the same platform, and I was on a fast train towards Bedford. Off in Luton Airport Parkway
  • Very soon on the airport shuttle bus (the train ticket worked there).
The travel took about an hour, and it was very short given the road distance would be 37 to 58 miles... in traffic jams.

P.S. I'm being told by Londoners there is no faster way of travelling inside London than a bike... Another observation: Almost all London cyclists wear helmets.
What a nice write up. I live in London and have yet to make it to Battersea Power station even though I pass it every day on the train in

1657715383935.png

Back in the saddle today and I was feeling fine after my tumble, I was intending to do around 50 miles but I was enjoying it that much I just kept going! :D I didn't set out with a route in mind, I was just freestyling and having an absolute blast! I finally installed the new handlebar tape to my bike which I purchased in November 2020 (I was waiting for a crash and it finally happened)🤣 , its been a while since I attempted it but it came out ok and the bike looks way better now!

1657715630842.png

The Hyndford Bridge which is a lovely descent down from Lanark, the only annoying thing is the traffic lights on the bridge which are always red when I get there....;)

1657716082988.png

I was now on my way to the town of Biggar, I just love this road especially when the wind is behind you!

1657716214303.png

You get amazing views on both sides of this road!

1657716342099.png

1657716415078.png

A few miles on and I was crossing the River Clyde and was shocked to see how low the water was, we have had a lot of dry and warm weather recently so its obviously taking a toll...

1657716583829.png

1657716641909.png

I was now on the road to the village of Elsrickle and the views just keep coming!

1657716783047.png

Ready for the big descent around this corner where I hit 40.9mph today!

1657716878954.png

More lovely views from Elsrickle!

1657717098612.png

1657717147308.png

I was now on my way home and now I had a 20-25mph headwind to endure and looking to the north all I could see was dark rain clouds, the forecast said the rain wasn't due until around 1pm and it was only just after 10am! I soldiered on expecting to get soaked at some point but my luck was in and I only got caught in a few short showers, most of the roads were still dry with some damp patches around! I didn't bother taking any photos now as I was going as fast as my old legs would take me to try to beat the rain! Thankfully the worst of the rain was further north and I got home nice and dry and typically the heavy rain that was supposed to come didn't materialise! I spoke to soon, it just started pouring down!🤣

I treated myself to a new Wahoo Elemnt Bolt as my old one was almost 5 years old and the battery wasn't holding a charge as well as it used to! I like the colour display on the new version, it changes colour as the gradients increase! It was in the red quite a lot today I can tell you, one of my climbs was showing 19% but as usual Ridewithgps only recorded it as 14.2% :rolleyes: I could have picked an easier ride after my fall but what the heck, why not just go for a 72 mile ride with over 5300ft of elevation!🤣What a great ride, I quickly forgot about the fall and just got on with it and remembered how amazing cycling really is!😁

Attachments

• elevation_profile91.jpg
    elevation_profile91.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 103
  • trip-96343128-map-full91.png
    trip-96343128-map-full91.png
    405.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 20220713_090606.jpg
    20220713_090606.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 20220713_091508.jpg
    20220713_091508.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 20220713_092809.jpg
    20220713_092809.jpg
    435.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 20220713_092829.jpg
    20220713_092829.jpg
    704.6 KB · Views: 107
  • 20220713_093724.jpg
    20220713_093724.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 101
  • 20220713_095115.jpg
    20220713_095115.jpg
    637.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 20220713_095124.jpg
    20220713_095124.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 20220713_100017.jpg
    20220713_100017.jpg
    447.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 20220713_100019.jpg
    20220713_100019.jpg
    440.1 KB · Views: 97
I could have picked an easier ride after my fall but what the heck, why not just go for a 72 mile ride with over 5300ft of elevation!🤣What a great ride, I quickly forgot about the fall and just got on with it and remembered how amazing cycling really is!😁
Sure thing…I think I’ll just hop on my bike today and go for a metric century + ride with over 5000’ of alt gain with views to die for….NOT! You continue to impress Rab and to think that you can do this out of your front door! Lucky dog you.

Nothing like getting back on the saddle after a nasty fall. 👍

Last edited:
15.2 miles yesterday early morning to avoid the heat and humidity, and to allow myself a frivilous fast paced ride before the important projects took precedence. No pictures for that ride because it was all about the Vado's speed and fast paved roads.

Today a leisurely 12.8 mile ride just to enjoy the cool morning before it, once again, turns to hot, humid, and sticky. Rode the Gazelle this morning as most most of the route took in the views from the gravel roads.
20220713_090211_copy_750x1000.jpg

It was cool, clear, and calm, and the mountains looked so peaceful stretching north and south as far as the the eye could see.

20220713_083919~2_copy_466x528.jpg

The mountains swelled in the background when the roads meandered close to the western base and then descended into the far background when the roads turned their backs on the lofty summits and instead wandered along farmlands and thousands of acres of pasture.
20220713_084834_copy_750x1000.jpg

The wildflowers are in full summer bloom - purple chicory mingling roadside with bindweed, snuggled in the lee of old stone walls that have seen centuries of summers, and tucked among the tall grasses whose feet were enjoying the cool water from puddles formed in last night's "wild and wooly" rain and hail storm.
20220713_084658_copy_750x1000.jpg

During the summer the hunt jumps have "riders" set in place to discourage anyone "larking" (jumping) outside of hunt season when the fields are in crops or filled with livestock. Come autumn the "riders" will be removed in preparation for foxhunting 's opening season.
20220713_090253_copy_750x1000.jpg

I stopped enroute to visit an estate which is managed by an old endurance acquaintence of mine from the early 2000's. His highly successful national endurance career came to a crashing halt when he caught Lyme disease in 2006, and he ended up selling his very successful horses to California endurance riders. He was there at the estate, thankfully, and we spent the next half hour happily catching up on news both new and old.

I was temping the fates in being late for a mid morning appointment by the time my friend and I said our goodbyes, and I raced down the estate driveway to make up for lost time. I was only 5 miles from home and I think it took me only a few minutes because I pushed the Gazelle to the maximum 28 mph assist the full 5 miles. And completely wore myself out!

But I did capture some lovely photos, and reached home in plenty of time to shower and get ready for a busy morning.

20220713_084457~2_copy_472x682.jpg

Attachments

• 20220713_084432_copy_750x1000.jpg
    20220713_084432_copy_750x1000.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Yesterday was a nice dry day weather wise with a temperature around 22oC and Mrs DG had the day off after doing a double shift the day before.

We decided to go to Grafham Water and cycle round the reservoir. It is about eight miles for the route, so we decided to do it three times. We also found a bridleway that we hadn’t done before. However, we won’t be doing it again as got scratched to bits with the brambles.
6C2E2BC1-ADBD-42B0-98CC-D12836C66560.jpeg

The reservoir level was noticeably lower than previous visits due the hot and dry weather with no rain for a while.

17C37065-C716-4426-BDA7-8CBC215154CA.jpeg

Had a couple of picnic stops along the way and had a really enjoyable day.
23982489-B278-40FF-8592-B09C16880BF3.jpeg
404EC76B-E603-4285-99DB-CEA42F77724B.jpeg

The only downside was that my Garmin Varia RADAR unit fell off the bike as the plastic mount snapped. Fortunately, Mrs DG saw it land so picked it up for me. It’s a bit battered, but still works, so I’ve ordered a new Aluminium mount for it.

Yesterday was a nice dry day weather wise with a temperature around 22oC and Mrs DG had the day off after doing a double shift the day before.

We decided to go to Grafham Water and cycle round the reservoir. It is about eight miles for the route, so we decided to do it three times. We also found a bridleway that we hadn’t done before. However, we won’t be doing it again as got scratched to bits with the brambles.
View attachment 129054

The reservoir level was noticeably lower than previous visits due the hot and dry weather with no rain for a while.

View attachment 129057

Had a couple of picnic stops along the way and had a really enjoyable day.
View attachment 129055View attachment 129056

The only downside was that my Garmin Varia RADAR unit fell off the bike as the plastic mount snapped. Fortunately, Mrs DG saw it land so picked it up for me. It’s a bit battered, but still works, so I’ve ordered a new Aluminium mount for it.
Now you have me concerned about my Varia. I sawed a slot into mine so that it slips on to my rear rack. So mine might be more fragile. Might you share a link to the aluminum mount?

And, okay, how many picnic stops do you two make? And amazing array of items, too.

Now you have me concerned about my Varia. I sawed a slot into mine so that it slips on to my rear rack. So mine might be more fragile. Might you share a link to the aluminum mount?

And, okay, how many picnic stops do you two make? And amazing array of items, too.
This is the link:
HUAYUWA Bicycle Saddle Support Bike Seat-post Mount Tail Light Holder Ftis for Garmin Varia Rearview Radar/RTL510/Edge520/Edge820/Edge1030 Accessories https://amzn.eu/d/itsTimh

We try and make a day of it, so always have a selection of food and drink. Find this makes the day quite interesting.

Back