Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

Tiny tot goes surfing …

View attachment 126889
7:20 am (sunrise 6:35 am)
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
I went for a morning ride to Noosa's surf beach—my first hilly ride for quite some time and, at only seventeen kilometres, the longest since restarting.

Although it was early in the day, the young surfers had beaten me to the beach! 7:00 am and they were splashing and zooming around in the surf before school. (Friday was the final day of the second term; school holidays for the next three weeks.)

In the photo, it looks to me like our surf champion of the future has already parted company with her board (not sure): it hardly matters, fun before school on a winter's morning is what life is about!

Older folk kept their feet dry, enjoying an early walk, or jog, along the beach as the tide began to ebb. My R&M Homage managed a few metres through the softer sand before it decided to have its kickstand propped against a few pieces of pumice (Dave, give me a break while you take a few photos).

View attachment 126904
Sunshine Beach, Queensland

View attachment 126905
  1. Noosa River at sunrise (previous photos, post #6522)
  2. Sunshine Beach (beach photos)
  3. Noosa Main Beach (tomorrow's photos—if I remember to take them!)
He makes a splashing return. Welcome back

Surfing before school? Not very common in Illinois, that picture of the surfer is pretty cool though.

I went for a short 9 mile ride today. A pic of my bike before my ride outside my shop/garage.
E16CCE0B-5441-43A1-9361-E656E7874EA9.jpeg

@David Berry: I'll second what @Alaskan and so many others said here. Though I'm not a contributor to this fine thread with post-card worthy pictures worth framing, I do check in alot. And your absence had me worried about you. Count me in that age group too, ready to start collecting social security and Medicare this October......when people our age go dark, our friends immediately do start worrying about the worst. So happy to see you back, in this great little world family we've got here.

@David Berry: It's so good to have you back here! We were all worrying about you!
1656166258663.png

I was out for a while myself, working and having a good time in Helsinki, Finland. I have found electric scooters combined with the exquisite bike path system the best way to commute and for sight-seeing there!

1656166413188.png

After work. The Finnish "white nights" of the Midsummer offered daylight until the midnight! (Very confusing and resulting in the sleep deprivation!) It was the 60th degree North, nearly the same as Oslo, Stockholm, or St. Petersburg (Helsinki being the northernmost of them all). There is a plethora of public share e-scooters: Tier, Lime, Voi, Ryde, and others. I preferred the Irish Lime. A good handling scooter; (the Voi was somewhat vicious...) Here, I wear the informal professional clothes. After having some food, and grocery shopping, I was returning to the hotel to change to the "civilian" clothes, and taking another e-scooter ride! (The best way of Helsinki commuting during fair weather is e-scootering; average cost of the commute one way: EUR2.33, a 6 minute ride. 1 EUR upfront, 0.19 eurocents per minute).

1656167092885.png

Field Marshall Baron Gustaf Mannerheim. The greatest Finn of all times! It was him to discourage Stalin to punish Finland too severely after the WWII. And the Finnish snipers, of course :D

1656167222067.png

The Esplanade. Helsinki is one of the most wonderful cities I've ever seen!

1656167304543.png

The two useful borders of Finland nowadays are the sea and air ones. Here: a big ferry from Tallinn, Estonia. (Russia is useless with its longest land border now). No wonder Finland/Suomi wants to join the NATO!

1656167462094.png

The Lutheran Cathedral as seen via a telephoto lens. Helsinki is a moderately hilly city.

1656167600410.png

The most unusual city Market Square I've ever seen. It is flanked by Neoclassical (Russian) architecture to the north, Scandinavian trade and business buildings to the West, leisure & hotel area to the East, and by the sea to the South. There are many water trams offering a trip to the island of Suomenlinna there, a trip worth taking! (Been there done that).

1656167807288.png

Czar Alexander II. He did good for Finland (which was a Russian colony for more than 100 years) but he did bad for Poland. Therefore, the guy is cherished in Finland but all symbols of the Russian occupation were removed in Poland. (Besides, he was killed by a Polish assassin in a revenge act. The next Czar was only to turn out much worse).

1656168096978.png

The Three Blacksmiths. The sculpture is as popular Helsinki meeting point as Piccadilly Circus is in London. At the junction of Alexander II Street and Marshall Mannerheim Road.

1656168242192.png

Jean Sibelius Monument (1967). 10 years after the death of the 91-yo Finland's greatest composer, the monument was erected. 600 pipe organ tubes and a small face of the composer. Fun-fact: Sibelius had hardly ever composed for the organ :D

1656168396930.png

The Bad Bad Boy sculpture.

1656168456264.png

My hotel (Radisson Blu Seaside) at the left. There are many ships to be seen there: all are available for rental, for instance for a stag party. Including the small warship, which is equipped with a sauna and jacuzzi! :)

1656168614383.png

One of rare beaches of Helsinki, the Eiran ranta. The bike fell shortly after taking this picture, on the drive side! (the derailleur might be kaputt!) The person of unidentified sex didn't even notice that! :D

1656168754427.png

At work. My trainee Risto with his MY2017 Specialized Turbo Vado 5.0 High Step. Risto is not stupid. His warm season round trip commute distance is 90 km (56 mi). He is perfectly aware only a 45 km/h S-Pedelec would make his rides reasonably fast! And he did not insure or register the e-bike for a simple reason: The Finnish insurance fee is EUR250 (10 times as much expensive as it is in Poland!)

1656169057784.png

Finland didn't catch the "e-bike disease". It is the traditional bikes to be ridden there. I could spot several e-bikes (all of them from big brands) but it was very little of them. By comparison, Norway has got infested by e-bikes!

1656169575255.png

My three major e-scooter rides.

Last edited:
@David Berry: It's so good to have you back here! We were all worrying about you! View attachment 127007

I was out for a while myself, working and having a good time in Helsinki, Finland. I have found electric scooters combined with the exquisite bike path system the best way to commute and for sight-seeing there!

View attachment 127008
After work. The Finnish "white nights" of the Midsummer offered daylight until the midnight! (Very confusing and resulting in the sleep deprivation!) It was the 60th degree North, nearly the same as Oslo, Stockholm, or St. Petersburg (Helsinki being the northernmost of them all). There is a plethora of public share e-scooters: Tier, Lime, Voi, Ryde, and others. I preferred the Irish Lime. A good handling scooter; (the Voi was somewhat vicious...) Here, I wear the informal professional clothes. After having some food, and grocery shopping, I was returning to the hotel to change to the "civilian" clothes, and taking another e-scooter ride! (The best way of Helsinki commuting during fair weather is e-scootering; average cost of the commute one way: EUR2.33, a 6 minute ride. 1 EUR upfront, 0.19 eurocents per minute).

View attachment 127009
Field Marshall Baron Gustaf Mannerheim. The greatest Finn of all times! It was him to discourage Stalin to punish Finland too severely after the WWII. And the Finnish snipers, of course :D

View attachment 127011

View attachment 127012
The two useful borders of Finland nowadays are the sea and air ones. Here: a big ferry from Tallinn, Estonia. (Russia is useless with its longest land border now). No wonder Finland/Suomi wants to join the NATO!

View attachment 127013
The Lutheran Cathedral as seen via a telephoto lens. Helsinki is a moderately hilly city.

View attachment 127014
The most unusual city Market Square I've ever seen. It is flanked by Neoclassical (Russian) architecture to the north, Scandinavian trade and business buildings to the West, leisure & hotel area to the East, and by the sea to the South. There are many water trams offering a trip to the island of Suomenlinna there, a trip worth taking! (Been there done that).

View attachment 127015
Czar Alexander II. He did good for Finland (which was a Russian colony for more than 100 years) but he did bad for Poland. Therefore, the guy is cherished in Finland but all symbols of the Russian occupation were removed in Poland. (Besides, he was killed by a Polish assassin in a revenge act. The next Czar was only to turn out much worse).

View attachment 127016
The Three Blacksmiths. The sculpture is as popular Helsinki meeting point as Piccadilly Circus is in London. At the junction of Alexander II Street and Marshall Mannerheim Road.

View attachment 127017
Jean Sibelius Monument (1967). 10 years after the death of the 91-yo Finland's greatest composer, the monument was erected. 600 pipe organ tubes and a small face of the composer. Fun-fact: Sibelius had hardly ever composed for the organ :D

View attachment 127018

View attachment 127019
My hotel (Radisson Blu Seaside) at the left. There are many ships to be seen there: all are available for rental, for instance for a stag party. Including the small warship, which is equipped with a sauna and jacuzzi! :)

View attachment 127020
One of rare beaches of Helsinki, the Eiran ranta. The bike fell shortly after taking this picture, on the drive side! (the derailleur might be kaputt!) The person of unidentified sex didn't even notice that! :D

View attachment 127021
At work. My trainee Risto with his MY2017 Specialized Turbo Vado 5.0 High Step. Risto is not stupid. His warm season round trip commute distance is 90 km (56 mi). He is perfectly aware only a 45 km/h S-Pedelec would make his rides reasonably fast! And he did not insure or register the e-bike for a simple reason: The Finnish insurance fee is EUR250 (10 times as much expensive as it is in Poland!)

View attachment 127023
Finland didn't catch the "e-bike disease". It is the traditional bikes to be ridden there. I could spot several e-bikes (all of them from big brands) but it was very little of them. By comparison, Norway has got infested by e-bikes!

View attachment 127024
It’s great to see such freedom of expression in a public square when it comes to artistic endeavor. Bad Boy would certainly raise a few eyebrows on this side of our pond and it might even p#ss some people off. ;)

@David Berry: It's so good to have you back here! We were all worrying about you! View attachment 127007

View attachment 127008

View attachment 127009

View attachment 127011

View attachment 127012

View attachment 127013

View attachment 127014

View attachment 127015

View attachment 127016

View attachment 127017

View attachment 127018

View attachment 127019

View attachment 127020

View attachment 127021

View attachment 127023

View attachment 127024
I climbed the steps to see the Lutheran cathedral - they were brutal! I kept wondering how in the heck grandpas and grannies made it up there every week in the olden days!

It’s great to see such freedom of expression in a public square when it comes to artistic endeavor. Bad Boy would certainly raise a few eyebrows on this side of our pond and it might even p#ss some people off. ;)
I will be back with my posting soon, including a very controversial sculpture by an 80+ year old French woman.

Today's routine loop of 22.9 miles and about 800 feet. Included in this "tour" are images of a very clear Mt Rainier, Smith Cove Park, Cruise ships in harbor, a Boeing jet in an unconventional pose (they look small in this image), a controversial sculpture of Man and Boy immersed in a fountain that shifts water from one to the other in a timed sequence except if it is too windy in which case water is off. Homoerotic or art. I know what our Supreme Court would rule if given the case! And the Space Needle and Climate Pledge Arena (named by Amazon) which saved the historic roofline of the 1972? World Fair sports arena which was said to be impossible. It was to be torn down and replaced AND no public money went to its billion dollar refurbishment. It showcases hockey and is designed to allow the "Super Sonics" to play basketball again, if the league ever forgives Seattle!!!

Disco Myrtle2.jpg

PXL_20220625_160924634-.jpg

PXL_20220625_162848281.jpg

PXL_20220625_163424532.jpg

PXL_20220625_164451968-.jpg

PXL_20220625_164949356.jpg

PXL_20220625_164956372.jpg

PXL_20220625_165904111-.jpg

PXL_20220625_170758484-.jpg

PXL_20220625_170808616-.jpg

To anyone concerned:
Finland is located in a very inconvenient corner of the world. Despite of the cruel 1918 Civil War and the 1939 aggression of the Soviet Union, the country managed to become one of the most democratic and European Union countries where politicians are to find solutions instead of fighting one another. An expensive country with free health service and education, the latter involving inexpensive Universities.

I was truly impressed.

Fifty days later …

View attachment 126801
Early Morning : Noosa River
Tewantin, Queensland

I hadn’t intended to be off the bike for seven weeks: sometimes life takes an unexpected change. Normality has been restored, I trust, and we – I’m with my brother and sister-in-law – are taking a recuperative break in the winter sun ‘up the coast’ beside the Noosa River estuary.

We'll be here for a few more days, and then it will be time to drop them off at Brisbane Airport and head back to Ipswich to be with my beloved Jen.
Not the end of the road …

Richard, Matthew, Rab, Bill, Patricia, Kahn, Diggy and everyone else: thank you for your kind words. Here's hoping that all will go well once again.

View attachment 126979
Main Beach, Noosa Heads, Queensland
Thank you David for showing up…makes me smile. 😁🚴‍♀️

To anyone concerned:
Finland is located in a very inconvenient corner of the world. Despite of the cruel 1918 Civil War and the 1939 aggression of the Soviet Union, the country managed to become one of the most democratic and European Union countries where politicians are to find solutions instead of fighting one another. An expensive country with free health service and education, the latter involving inexpensive Universities.

I was truly impressed.
Its certainly trending in our news for obvious reasons, I briefly visited 20 years ago with two Swedish guys, one said everyone in Finland is a drunk....while drinking his 5th glass of my bacardi.
Its beautiful, but I was only in the countryside, everyone was lovely and we all communicated in English.
You can thank us later.

New Bike, Off Grid

The past three days had been a bit transitional thanks to a very severe storm on Wednesday clocking 70 knot winds (80+mph, 95mph recorded in one area) that did a heck of a job trimming trees and power lines without discrimination in several counties in northern Virginia. Our county being one badly hit in the rural western stretches, centering in my neck of the woods...or what used to be woods but now resembles a devastation of broken limbs and branches everywhere and scattered downed trees blocking roads. Many many venerable old trees centuries old were knocked flat when those winds roaring through. It was heartbreaking to see the horror of tangled downed electrical wires among the broken trees, and power poles snapped like matchstick.

In the midst of fine tuning our 2nd day of alternative survival lifestyle "Off The Grid", including strategies for keeping the electric car charged while waiting for the power to resume - something we would not see until the following day - I received a phone call. My newly purchased Gazelle C380+ had arrived and was ready for pickup.

Everything else was put on hold for the 1 hour trip west where the Grid was still happily keeping the lights on and the fast chargers were dispensing electrons to recharge my depleted car battery back to 100% within 30 minutes before freeing me to head down the street to pick up the new bike.

I hadn't planned to ride the bike as soon as I got back home, but G called to see if I wanted to take a spin around the block to check out the aftermath of the storm's devastation. Althought the late heat and humidity was ramping up by the minute, the request was impossible to refuse. I hopped on the new Gazelle, met up with G coming down the road to my place on her Vado, and off we went on a tour.

It was like visiting a recent battlefield with Ma Nature claiming partial victory. Downed power lines were noticable everywhere there was the most damage - snaking across the gravel roads, draped across stone walls, and stretched to the ground under the weight of uprooted trees. Line poles were randomly snapped in half like twigs, or their crosspiece tops were ripped loose and dangling to the ground (as in the photo below). And yet a bit further down the roads everything was perfectly fine, every tree upright, not a leaf disturbed. The countryside looked as if nothing had happened. It was all so surreal.
20220624_182304_copy_600x800.jpg

Seemed like every gravel road had a work crew involved in cleanup and power restoration, oftentimes their vehicles taking up the entire width of the road with just enough space for a person to walk past, and for G and I to thread our way through after we had stopped to talk to the men about the cleanup.

Happy to say my new bike performed flawlessly throughout the entire "Tour de Devastation". The Bosch motor is a tad noisy with a high pitched whine which is a bit annoying, but the Nuvinchi variable speed hub is a dream. Was surprised the stock seat was so comfortable, and the springloaded seat post was perfectly adequate for the bumpy surface of the roads. I've decided to keep both and not replace them. The bike is smooth as silk on the paved roads - which G and I took at one point to circumvent one gravel road still blocked by tree fall and downed wires and repair crews. A second detour took us through a private estate (we both know the owners well) to see many of their trees uprooted by the horrific storm. The owners told us later that they lost over 50 mature trees.

13 miles later we were back in our neighborhood with enough visuals of the damage to last us a lifetime. Our area was still wrapped in the power outage so there wasn't a chance for me to see (yet) how quickly the Gazelle's battery would recharge. I'd had to wait until 9pm for the Grid to become available.

Its certainly trending in our news for obvious reasons, I briefly visited 20 years ago with two Swedish guys, one said everyone in Finland is a drunk....while drinking his 5th glass of my bacardi.
Its beautiful, but I was only in the countryside, everyone was lovely and we all communicated in English.
You can thank us later.
Twenty years is a long long time :) Indeed, I could see (and talk to) Finnish drunkards twenty years ago; the concept of "Finnish knives" for dessert was known, too. Not nowadays. The country has changed a lot, and even the notorious Finnish shyness seems to be gone away :)

I can recommend visiting Helsinki to anyone! (Only the country is dramatically expensive: a single meal -- cod with the sides -- can easily be 29 EUR in a ravintola (restaurant). I admit I ate cheaply there: Burger King/McD and the food bought at the grocery store. But I could enjoy excellent craft beer from the Alko monopoly store and was accepting the cost; premium craft beer has always been expensive).

1656234194819.png

Imperial Stout (13.6% abv) from an Estonian craft brewery. A small bottle for 6 EUR.

1656234359299.png

Danish Double IPA (8.6% abv). The price was less than 6 Euro for half a litre can. The most expensive of the ales I bought in Finland was the American "Narwhal" Imperial Stout from Sierra Nevada Brewing, 10 euros for a bottle.

1656234532263.png

The Finnish state monopoly store's logo. You can get alcoholic beverages stronger than 4.4% abv in restaurants and bars as well. Grocery stores carry anything up to 4.4% including wine (made especially for Finland) :D Even Guinness Stout made for Finland is 4.4%!

I sometimes fall behind because I only use my phone for the site and it falls over with that many pictures per page.
I know im guilty for 10 pics per post, maybe I need a better phone.
This a pic from my failed attempt at Ingleborough mountain, the wife walked it and got caught in an epic thunderstorm..so slightly glad I went back to the van.
Screenshot_20220626-100923.png

Back