Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

A brighter future…

Vietnamese Boat People Memorial, Brisbane

Vietnamese Boat People Memorial
Brisbane River, Queensland
In Memory
Hundreds of thousands of Vietnamese boat people perished at sea on their journeys seeking freedom: 1975—1995.
In Gratitude
In the hour of our greatest need you were there. We thank you Australia.
There is no greater sorrow than the loss of one's native land.

Crossing from right bank to left…

Crossing the Brisbane River

1 : Right Bank (south) — past Vietnamese Memorial
2 : Story Bridge across Brisbane River (about 2 km from #1)
3 : Clifftop Cycleway
4 : Cycle Elevator
5 : Left Bank (north) — leads to cycleway over river

Crossing Story Bridge

Last edited by a moderator:
Crossing from right bank to left…

View attachment 129552
1 : Right Bank (south) — past Vietnamese Memorial
2 : Story Bridge across Brisbane River (about 2 km from #1)
3 : Clifftop Cycleway
4 : Cycle Elevator
5 : Left Bank (north) — leads to cycleway over river
Hello David

I'm intrigued by the cycle elevator. Is it like a normal in-building elevator? How many bikes with riders does it carry?

Cheers

Hello David
I'm intrigued by the cycle elevator. Is it like a normal in-building elevator? How many bikes with riders does it carry?

Peter, I'll have to take some photos/video on my next trip through central Brisbane (rain and cold for the next two days!). Anyway, here is a YouTube video taken looking south (from 4 towards 1).

There are pedestrian/cycle paths attached to both sides of the Story Bridge but, as with the Auckland Harbour Bridge, these were added several decades after the 'completion' of the bridge.

There are two elevators, each with cabins—surely not the correct word—about three metres long and two wide. Room for three ebikes? Pedestrians think that the elevators are really for them but this is patently not the case as there are stairs alongside the structures: runners sprint up them! The sides of the elevator towers are clad in in-vogue 'rusty' sheeting. (Better remember to take photos next ride!)

Stefan: Try to ignore the daily delivery of beer at the beginning of the video. Is there a hint in the opening scene of quantity being placed ahead of quality?

Last edited by a moderator:
A slough 100k
View attachment 129475
I took advantage of my wife driving a return up to Cabela's 25 miles to the north, to load up the bike and ride down the Centennial Trail to to Snohomish and Everett and back home. I planned for about a 50 mile ride, with just 1700 ft of climbing.

The Centennial Trail was not crowded so I could keep a good pace but it also wasn't very exciting. View attachment 129471
The nicest part of the ride was from the town of Snohomish along the Snohomish river and through fields across to Everett with the occasional slough leftover from logging a hundred years ago
View attachment 129468

View attachment 129473
The Lowell Riverfront trail in Everett at the north end of the Interurban Trail was super peaceful
View attachment 129472View attachment 129474View attachment 129477
As I neared home I realized I had plenty of juice in my legs battery and just enough sunlight that I could wander around Edmonds for an extra 10 miles to get to the hundred kilometer mark. It did leave me tired with nearly half of my climbing in the last 15 miles.
Oh, you did not get a picture or pictures of the homes on stilts or very tall first floors to avoid the flood waters! I like that road. We've taken the bus up from Seattle to Everett and then biked home via a few different routes. Lowell is the most pleasant. The Interurban is a boring route along I-5 in places and through suburban jungles!!!

We got a million of 'em - Snohomish, Skykomish, Swinonish, Humptulips, Skamakawa, Puyallup, Kalama, Wapato, Chewelah, Etc. Etc. Etc...🤣
Pysht and Sappho come to mind. Lakes Sammamish and Sammish, no where near each other.

A brighter future…

View attachment 129551
Vietnamese Boat People Memorial
Brisbane River, Queensland
In Memory
Hundreds of thousands of Vietnamese boat people perished at sea on their journeys seeking freedom: 1975—1995.
In Gratitude
In the hour of our greatest need you were there. We thank you Australia.
There is no greater sorrow than the loss of one's native land.
I havent heard that phrase for so long.
Vietnamese boat people.

The strange things you see on the back roads. This wooden soldier was on a back road in the Claremont/Cornish area of New Hampshire. The minion was in Reading Vermont.

9CFBC841-C017-479D-A8E7-98CFF3179D4F.jpeg
B31E6535-6141-42D0-B00C-E8185ECBA8BE.jpeg

Attachments

• C1FB62BB-AD0F-43BE-A5CE-EE20EFFFC144.jpeg
    C1FB62BB-AD0F-43BE-A5CE-EE20EFFFC144.jpeg
    919.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 25DEA7A5-FF0E-4DD4-88F7-8D4661C6B07B.jpeg
    25DEA7A5-FF0E-4DD4-88F7-8D4661C6B07B.jpeg
    599.4 KB · Views: 105
The impending sunflower festival is an Alvis Farm deal…I won’t be attending…their balloon tire manure tankers have assailed my delicate sensibility once too often.
My friend from town has been visiting on Tuesday mornings to ride on the local country roads. He commented after our jaunt while sitting in a spiffy eatery (and buying me lunch). “Riding around your place on that bike is a vacation.”
“Sell one of your shotguns and get one. You can’t shoot but one at a time. Ride now and replace your gun later. It’s not like you’ll need another ebike.”
“Then why do you have two?”

‘How would you know a man has a lot of bicycle in his veins?’

‘If his number is more than fifty you can tell it unmistakable from his walk. He will walk smartly always and never sit down and he will lean against the wall with his elbow out and stay like that all night in his kitchen instead of going to bed. If he walks too slowly or stops in the middle of the road he will fall down in a heap and will have to be lifted and set in motion again by some extraneous party. This the unfortunate state the postman has cycled himself into, and I do not think he will ever cycle himself out of it.’
IMG_0978.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0988.JPG
    IMG_0988.JPG
    909.4 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0984.JPG
    IMG_0984.JPG
    656.6 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0966.JPG
    IMG_0966.JPG
    775.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0962.JPG