Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

A couple pics of a local garden.
And my Pedego Element, Strawberry.
Great city/town bike, excellent for stop and go traffic. I've been using it for errands instead of the suv. Really fun.

1658099298205.png

1658099418732.png

1658099663455.png

Nice place to ride.

I have not used or looked at the Grade/Gradient feature at all on my Edge 1030+. Can it only be employed if you have a planned route (which I also have never used) or can I just use it while tooling along and want to know the grade/gradient of the hill I'm on is about?

Actually, a few weeks ago, I was trying to to duplicate a ride that I had done with a friend and had the older gpx and tried making it a route but I clearly failed as I never got any guidance.

So, I basically use the Edge as an oversized/overkill cycling computer.
This might help.

On the 830 I can use Geographical to display an elevation graph and I can get grade under elevation.

069A70AF-880B-41D5-96D5-21AEEFE39CD5.jpeg
DB14C984-F906-4A8C-8283-5011B7B87E04.jpeg

I use an Edge 530 with a remote. I tend to use 3 main screens as follows...

Main screen with most of the info I want/need

Live map...

Detailed grade...

I think that the 530 and 830 are basically the same except that the 830 has a touch screen. The 1030 is more upscale.

I like that they can be customized. My road bike screens are very different than my eBike’s. I don’t normally use the grade feature because I often don’t want to know, (but the eBike makes the grades less important). It is a nice feature for exploring.

I think that the 530 and 830 are basically the same except that the 830 has a touch screen. The 1030 is more upscale.

I like that they can be customized. My road bike screens are very different than my eBike’s. I don’t normally use the grade feature because I often don’t want to know, (but the eBike makes the grades less important). It is a nice feature for exploring.
They are almost identical. 530 has buttons instead of touch screen which makes things more difficult for setup or on the fly nav.

I feel old school compared to most of you. I’m still using an older Garmin 520 + that has the somewhat clumsy side function buttons. I will say that it hasn’t let me down yet even though I use it primarily to keep track of metrics on all of my bikes and less for GPS functions. Still on the fence with regards to upgrading as it’s almost bombproof having been ripped off of its mount several times on the trail. Battery life isn’t what it used to be but I can still get 6hrs + of rides in before it needs a charge.

Concrete and mangroves…

Brisbane River : Teneriffe

Brisbane River, Teneriffe

Beside the Brisbane River is a pleasant place to ride. There's a wide pedestrian and cycle path between modern apartment blocks and the river: on one side there are clipped box hedges; on the other a few mangroves.

The mangroves remain as a reminder of a once-beautiful stretch of river. Here, when the tide's a bit out, herons drop in search of food in a tiny remnant of bygone wilderness. Perhaps, that's a sign of a 'healthy river'.

White-faced Heron

White-faced Heron (Egretta novaehollandiae)

Brisbane River : Teneriffe

Local Rides -

I stuck to local roads and trails this week deferring out-of-town trips until more favorable weather conditions can be relied upon. It was great to be able to get back on the saddle of the Levo since I last hit the singletracks in BC. With all of the stormy weather that we’ve received over the past month, some of the trails have been awash and many covered with deadfall.

Starting this week, my wife and I will be reverting back to daily rides on conventional road bikes and will reserve the Creos for longer more challenging trips such as the Highwood Pass. The Creos are a blast to ride without PAS on the flats and getting a boost up long and steep climbs is undeniably fun. That being said, our local roads don’t have anywhere near the elevation as the Highwood, Sunwapta, or Bow Summit so we feel more inclined to ride farther and faster without motors and batteries.

Last edited:
I started a new thread for discussing the cycling GPS.

This might help.

On the 830 I can use Geographical to display an elevation graph and I can get grade under elevation.

View attachment 129361View attachment 129362
and @ALL (g)

This might help.

View attachment 129361View attachment 129362
@ALL (g)

@DaveMatthews @fooferdoggie

Hey thanks. I see that they now have a solar charging unit in the Edge series. I will have to explore more including that video. Yes, the unit is overpowered for what I use and I'm underpowered for dealing with its skill set.

Local Rides -

I stuck to local roads and trails this week deferring out-of-town trips until more favorable weather conditions can be relied upon. It was great to be able to get back on the saddle of the Levo since I last hit the singletracks in BC. With all of the stormy weather that we’ve received over the past month, some of the trails have been awash and many covered with deadfall.

Starting this week, my wife and I will be reverting back to daily rides on conventional road bikes and will reserve the Creos for longer more challenging trips such as the Highwood Pass. The Creos are a blast to ride without PAS on the flats and getting a boost up long and steep climbs is undeniably fun. That being said, our local roads don’t have anywhere near the elevation as the Highwood, Sunwapta, or Bow Summit so we feel more inclined to ride farther and faster without motors and batteries.
Awesome video, great mix of amazing roads and amazing trails 👍 Some of those drop offs on the trails scared me to death, looks like you have no fear! ;)

29C here today, totally unbearable for me and the same again tomorrow! Back to normal on Wednesday thankfully...

I had a Garmin Edge 500 for 5 years and the battery died totally, changed to a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt which would have been 5 years old next month but the battery was struggling to last on my long rides! We shall see how long my new Wahoo will last...

Barn of the day, actually two. The first one is a round barn built in 1915, its on a list of historic places. It’s in pretty poor condition and I’d guess it would take a lot of money to restore it. The second pic shows it in perspective to the nearby farm house. The second one is brick barn for the walls. The area is mowed nicely and kept up but the farm house is gone.
6B636191-929F-4082-8595-526564DE403D.png
1518E9E9-F2DD-4E66-9F6C-BBD5DF9D616B.jpeg
71493E2C-68A1-46BC-A63B-40FCDF85BAD5.jpeg
2BF242C9-77F1-4A2D-9D99-FCA3753FCB46.jpeg

Local Rides -

Great drone work. Mine would have been taken out by a fir tree!!!!

Awesome video, great mix of amazing roads and amazing trails 👍 Some of those drop offs on the trails scared me to death, looks like you have no fear! ;)
Thanks Rab. I actually think that my better half (Sai) has more nerves than I do. I sometimes hesitate going downhill with a full head of steam whereas she is a fearless demon.

Great drone work. Mine would have been taken out by a fir tree!!!!

With the follow-me mode on the Litchi app for the mini, it’s just a matter of setting and forgetting it. It’s that easy. Just got to remember to select the appropriate alt/distance or I’m afraid that it would also get taken out by a tree…or a power pole…or building, or cell tower, or…..;)

Back