Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

got a nice ride in 15 miles to get to the mountain ride. wife's shoulder could not handle the whole distance to the top the road was once paved but its is worn down to corse rock a lot and the ride on the tandem is rough.
the Amtrak train on this bridge was fun lots of shaking my wife was a bit worried but hey it was not a freight train right? rich part of town and the grocery store has this Muti stall unisex bathroom pretty cool really. our annual blues festival is back my wife wants to go but I dont want to sit around for ours.
IMG_0311.jpeg
IMG_0313.jpeg
IMG_0314.jpeg
IMG_0315.jpeg
IMG_0316.jpeg
IMG_0317.jpeg
IMG_0318.jpeg
IMG_0319.jpeg

Coastal Banksias…

Banksias beside the Sunshine Coast Coastal Path

Sunshine Coast Coastal Path
Queensland

Coastal Banksia : Banksia integrifolia

Coastal Banksia (Banksia integrifolia)

I'm sure to let my absence of botanical knowledge show:
  1. new bud
  2. full bloom
  3. withered flower from last year
  4. immature seed case exposed
  5. seeds appear
  6. seeds dispersed.
And from a neighbouring environment (on the inland side of the dunes), a species evolved for that niche, the swamp banksia (Banksia robur)—flower midway between stages 1 and 2 above:

Swamp Banksia : Banksia robur

Swamp Banksia (Banksia robur)

got a nice ride in 15 miles to get to the mountain ride. wife's shoulder could not handle the whole distance to the top the road was once paved but its is worn down to corse rock a lot and the ride on the tandem is rough.
the Amtrak train on this bridge was fun lots of shaking my wife was a bit worried but hey it was not a freight train right? rich part of town and the grocery store has this Muti stall unisex bathroom pretty cool really. our annual blues festival is back my wife wants to go but I dont want to sit around for ours.View attachment 127795View attachment 127796View attachment 127797View attachment 127798View attachment 127799View attachment 127800View attachment 127801View attachment 127802
Thats a serious bit of kit, just oozes being built properly.
Disc and rim brakes on the back.

Coastal Banksias…

View attachment 127811
Sunshine Coast Coastal Path
Queensland

View attachment 127807
Coastal Banksia (Banksia integrifolia)

I'm sure to let my absence of botanical knowledge show:
  1. new bud
  2. full bloom
  3. withered flower from last year
  4. immature seed case exposed
  5. seeds appear
  6. seeds dispersed.
And from a neighbouring environment (on the inland side of the dunes), a species evolved for that niche, the swamp banksia (Banksia robur)—flower midway between stages 1 and 2 above:

View attachment 127809
Swamp Banksia (Banksia robur)
It is astounding how many very, very different plants and trees you folks have down that way. I mean, come on, where are the oaks and maples and elms? ;) And it you have those ordinary species, they are probably still way exotic!

Snapped a picture of the prickly wild rose bushes which is a hardy perennial shrub brightening up the countryside across our province at this time of the year. Apparently, in the thirties (even before my time) the students of Alberta got to vote for what our provincial flower would be and that is what they chose. View attachment 127792
Nice, they look pretty similar to the wild roses here on the coast.

This climbing rose has been in our family for 5 generations (my grandmother's grandmother). Someday I'll mail a cutting to my kids and it will start life anew.
PXL_20220703_043120460~2.jpg

I mean, come on, where are the oaks and maples and elms? ;) And it you have those ordinary species, they are probably still way exotic!
I thought this elm over in Port Gamble was interesting:

IMG_20210725_150726~2.jpg

It was in 1640 that the "Earl of Camperdown" in Dundee Scotland noticed a branch growing on the floor of his elm forest. He grafted it to a Scotch Elm tree and it took hold producing the first Camperdown Elm. The Scotch Elm is the only root mass the Camperdown Elm will grow on. The tree is a mutant and cannot self produce. Every Camperdown Elm tree in the world is part of the original and they must be grafted to a Scotch Elm tree to get started. When the graft starts to grow, the Scotch Elm branches are cut off leaving only Camperdown Elm. This magnificent tree depends on humankind to keep it alive as a species.

This Camperdown Elm is the new State Champion. This tree was planted in 1875. It measures 20 ft. in height with a 26 ft. crown and a 7 ft. circumference.

This climbing rose has been in our family for 5 generations (my grandmother's grandmother). Someday I'll mail a cutting to my kids and it will start life anew.
View attachment 127832

View attachment 127834
It was in 1640 that the "Earl of Camperdown" in Dundee Scotland noticed a branch growing on the floor of his elm forest. He grafted it to a Scotch Elm tree and it took hold producing the first Camperdown Elm. The Scotch Elm is the only root mass the Camperdown Elm will grow on. The tree is a mutant and cannot self produce. Every Camperdown Elm tree in the world is part of the original and they must be grafted to a Scotch Elm tree to get started. When the graft starts to grow, the Scotch Elm branches are cut off leaving only Camperdown Elm. This magnificent tree depends on humankind to keep it alive as a species.

This Camperdown Elm is the new State Champion. This tree was planted in 1875. It measures 20 ft. in height with a 26 ft. crown and a 7 ft. circumference.
That Elm looks likes it going to jump up and start dancing.

Are those the Nootka Rose?

Neat tree and history.

Aren't those wild roses the Nootka Rose? Discovery Park - Seattle a few weeks ago.

PXL_20220526_153339431-.jpg

PXL_20220526_153404550.jpg

My wife and I got to ride with my step daughter today. Over 3,000’ of climbing, (and of course over 3,000’ of descending), in 30 miles of riding through the Vermont countryside. You can tell by her milk crate that my stepdaughter is a true and unapologetic Vermonter. Good company, a beautiful day and never ending gravel roads with wonderful scenery. It doesn’t get much better.

F543AA83-2779-4A45-9F42-D35325DB49F6.jpeg
F8973F5D-66BF-4524-8742-9AFD7A67A2C4.jpeg
32A90F46-7073-4437-B9EB-37B9EF56289B.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, after couple week layoff (sorta had a bug that's been harder to shake than expected) but finally starting to feel back to normal so time to get my groove back this weekend.

Dreary weather today - my dusk to dawn porch light still hasn't acknowledged that it's daytime.
Just an easy but wet 13.5 mile ride through Edmonds, Woodway and Richmond Beach.

Here's the view from above Richmond Beach Saltwater Park - looking down to Golden Gardens and Magnolia just barely visible in the mist.
PXL_20220703_193636171.jpg

I tried to check the time with this sundial, but I guess someone forgot to turn it on today because it wasn't working
PXL_20220703_195131528.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220703_191234232.jpg
    PXL_20220703_191234232.jpg
    709.8 KB · Views: 127
  • Screenshot_20220703-160511.png
    Screenshot_20220703-160511.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 135
  • PXL_20220703_194348162.jpg
    PXL_20220703_194348162.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 122
Well, after couple week layoff (sorta had a bug that's been harder to shake than expected) but finally starting to feel back to normal so time to get my groove back this weekend.

Dreary weather today - my dusk to dawn porch light still hasn't acknowledged that it's daytime.
Just an easy but wet 13.5 mile ride through Edmonds, Woodway and Richmond Beach.

Here's the view from above Richmond Beach Saltwater Park - looking down to Golden Gardens and Magnolia just barely visible in the mist.
View attachment 127871

I tried to check the time with this sundial, but I guess someone forgot to turn it on today because it wasn't working

My effort for today: Zero. Zilch. Not a mile. Unlike BlackHand whose camera was pointing in my direction. Well, it is to be expected. It is after all a holiday weekend, a long weekend, a "summer" weekend in Seattle where we are notorious for....

PXL_20220703_235536398.jpg

My effort for today: Zero. Zilch. Not a mile. Unlike BlackHand whose camera was pointing in my direction. Well, it is to be expected. It is after all a holiday weekend, a long weekend, a "summer" weekend in Seattle where we are notorious for....

View attachment 127879
It was an overcast here but at least it wasn’t raining. We spent most our day perusing the shelves at a LBS in Calgary and even test rode a couple of bikes so technically I was on the saddle albeit just for a few spins around the block. I was too tired after driving back home though my wife had the energy to head out for her regular training ride. Kudos to her. 👍

We didn’t even have the compulsion to cook dinner so we ate out. Nothing beats Pho, not even borscht. ;)

IMG_20220623_1800390.jpg

Last edited:
The Brix' Birthday Tribute (An Imperial Century) Ride
or, How I Rode Just To Collect Trousers Lost & Found In A Płock Hotel

Willa Adriana -- a boutique hotel in Płock's Old Town -- operates with hardly any personnel. You do anything related to the reception activities on a terminal at the gate. The breakfast (excellent) is prepared by two ladies who come to work at 5:30 am. Rooms are cleaned either before a new quest arrives or on every third day (or, on a guest request), making the demand for maids low. The management even does not sit inside the hotel but they -- for instance -- monitor the parking lot by cameras to be able to ask for the parking fee. You could say: The covid rules used to reduce the operating cost of that hotel. On the other hand, the hotel is just excellent!

I was sure I left my elegant and expensive trousers in the wardrobe. However, the maid was on a well deserved leave, and nobody could tell me whether my pants actually were there! Pretty late (9:03 am) I started my "big" Vado ride from Błonie. I was fully prepared: taking all three batteries, a charger, and optimizing the route not to end up with a 200 km ride.

1656918004369.png

32nd kilometre. A fortified church in Brochów (erected 1561, upgraded 1655). The place where Frederic Chopin was baptised (this photo was taken on my return ride).

There in the morning, I got a phone call from the hotel my pants had been actually found and I could collect them! :D

1656918529690.png

A trestle bridge over River Bzura.

1656918411170.png

Intentionally, I took a pretty long ride along the Vistula. Approximately 25 km of the trail located just outside the Vistula anti-flood embankment consisted of excellent gravel, and it later continued with asphalt up to Płock suburbs!

FYI: The Vistula is mostly an unregulated river. The embankments are located far from the river, and the Vistula is allowed to flood within. The whole area I rode through was inhabited by Hollander communities (Dutch Mennonites and later Germans) since 16th c. until 1945.

1656921019466.png

A peek behind the embankment. The water visible is not the Vistula (which is far away) but a bay.

1656919264563.png

End of gravel. Only 23 km remaining to Willa Adriana!

1656919373414.png

I made it! My Vado in the Old Market Square of Płock; the townhall seen in the background.

I collected my trousers (the manager let me -- remotely -- enter the hotel). And I needed a huge lunch.

1656919512393.png

In the "Inn Under A Thatched Roof" (Karczma pod strzechą). Meatballs, potato, fried cabbage. Very Polish and as good as any Polish mother could make!

The weather: reasonable temperatures in the morning and evening, very warm during the midday and in the afternoon. No wind. It was nothing dramatic during the ride as the perceived wind was a good coolant but the lunch... I ate in the restaurant's veranda where -- despite lack of walls -- and the protection by the roof -- temperature reached 35 C! The heat started taking its toll on me.

1656919867074.png

Highway #62 is very nice. Perfect asphalt, not much traffic on Sunday. The road is flanked by the forest on both sides on most of it (giving shadow and smelling so nicely). Still... fancy yourself pedalling for 40 km on such a boring road! And my ass started hurting badly. At some point I lost any motivation to ride. Only excellent coffee I drank at a petrol station later could restore some of my spirits!

1656920171726.png

Closer and closer to the sunset. I arrived back in Błonie at the last of the daylight!

1656920248991.png

My longest e-bike ride ever. All my Vado batteries hold far less than the nominal 604 Wh. For instance, the black battery held 468 Wh, the blue one 533, and the grey one 521 Wh. As you can see on the map, I used all of them and was gradually increasing the assistance. I could make well more than 200 km using all the batteries for 35/35%. The issue being, my ass and legs would not stand such a long ride!

On July 3rd, 1919, my Dad was born. Exactly 60 years later, my girlfriend @Brix was born. And I have dedicated my 7/3/2022 ride to her!

Last edited:
That looks lovely except for the long roads, I too struggle with riding rellatively featureless roads where the distance crawls towards you in slow motion.
Its a state of mind of course, its really just impatience for me and I need to work on it.
Happy birthday Bricks.

@Stefan Mikes Congratulations on another imperial century, Stefan! 👍Happy Birthday @Brix

I was hoping to ride to the racing yesterday but I woke to rain and gusty winds and I knew the winds would be stronger at the race circuit so I reluctantly travelled by car, when I got there I knew I had made the correct decision, the wind was crazy!

It looked nice through the camera lens!

1656934967696.png

1656935062320.png

Some famous people from the rally world were in attendance, ex world champion Phil Mills (Petter Solbergs co-driver) and current superstar, Elfyn Evans with his dad Gwyndaf!

1656935356329.png

Jimmy and Alister McRae were also in attendance, Colin McRae's dad and brother!

78 yo Jimmy in action!

1656936600264.png

I'm hoping to get out tomorrow, I have been waiting for the proper weather to do a nice ride near the Scottish/English border and tomorrow looks like the day it will happen!

Last afternoon at Laguna Bay…

Main Beach, Laguna Bay, Noosa, Queensland

Noosa Beach, Laguna Bay
My final ride on the Sunshine Coast—at 35km the longest ride for several months—took me to my favourite spot on Laguna Bay where I sat beneath the casuarina trees as the sun sank low in the north-west.

It's time to head home. My little car has been loaded, overloaded actually, with three ebikes and far more 'stuff' than we actually needed. Now, all that remains is the final check of every room in the apartment: we all know what for.

Back