Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

Winter in the South Pacific…

Great Sandy National Park seen from Laguna Bay

Great Sandy National Park
Looking north from Laguna Bay
3:40 pm

Map: Laguna Bay & Great Sandy NP

Top Photo : Looking north: yellow arrows.
Lower Photo : Same viewpoint but looking east.

Laguna Bay, Noosa

Laguna Bay, Noosa
4:25 pm

ebr-2022-06-23-map-a.jpg

World's largest sand islands:
  1. Fraser Island
  2. North Stradbroke Island
  3. Moreton Island
  4. Bribie Island
Cape Byron:
  • Most easterly point of Australian continent
  • Named by Captain James Cook (1770) in honour of Admiral John 'Foul Weather Jack' Byron (grandfather of the poet).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that was my first question. But a beautiful church.
Part of the church is still made of the original stone. The brick came into the use in Gothic times. At some point in the history, the Cathedral was upgraded to the Renaissance style and so on.

The most valuable part of that church was the Płock Door, a bronze door with biblical scenes. Unfortunately, the door can be found in Novgorod Russia today.

In order to beat the heat...

...one must NOT give in to the temptation of lingering in bed at 7am in the morning to get a few more winks of sleep, but instead check the clock with bleary eyes, pull on the cycling shorts, roll the bike out of the garage, and set off down the road while the temps were a glorious 59°f (15°c), a short lived gift that was soon to be chased off by the forecasted 90°f (32°c) heat and humidity in less than a few hours.

20220630_075205_copy_600x800.jpg

While the morning was blissfully clear, calm and cool, the "almost July" sun was hot and bright, slicing through the dense roadside foliage with a sharpness that hurt the eyes, even through the expensive lenses of my high dollar shades. I kept to the gravel roads as much as possible to take advantage of the deep shade, thankful that the recent rains had left the road surface soft enough to pack a faultless firm and fast under the tires of numerous vehicles traveling the roads afterwards. The firm surface left me free to really move along, testing (still) the mettle of the new Gazelle on the tough hills for the route I'd chosen.
20220630_075408~2_copy_484x800.jpg

While the snapshot doesn't do justice to the 13% grade of this hill, the fact that most analogue bikes have to climb in "granny gear" because it is steep meant that I had to employ Turbo and a low gear. I chose this route because of this hill to give the Gazelle the acid "climbing" test. Happy to say, it passed with flying colors, performing even better than the LaFree. Going to give credit to the Gazelle's more powerful Class 3 motor vs the less powered Class 1 LaFree.

20220630_075917~2_copy_617x600.jpg

There was still ample lingering evidence of the uprooted trees and debris caused by the violent storm, although most road debris had long been carted away. What was left was torn up ground from tree rootballs having been removed, and chainsawed tree limbs discarded in the brush where they had fallen. At the top of the hill I came across this scene of an uprooted shed that, seizing the unique opportunity for a fanciful adventure, had joined the fierce winds mid-storm and taken flight to see what the rest of the world had to offer. The giddy wind, clearly in a comedic mood, had taken the shed on a whirlwind journey across the field directly into the embrace of a more firmly anchored shed on a stone base. And thus the two sheds clung together like a couple dancing at a wedding, the slightly inebriated one gleefully recounting its heady windbourn adventures in a rather risque dance move to the amusement of the upright shed while both waited for the estate crew to come drag the wayward shed back to the field from whence it had flown.

I'm sure the estate crew, already overworked by storm debris cleanup, was not going to be amused.

20220630_081108_copy_600x800.jpg

I had just turned down this road and found myself following a power line truck enroute to yet another site of storm damage where the power poles had been damaged or snapped by falling trees. A brand new power pole proudly rode shotgun on the top of the truck, ready to replace a damaged pole somewhere along the road for the next 30 to 40 years until it, too, would be replaced by storm damage or simply old age. The truck, clearly on a tight time based mission of high importance demanding a traveling speed much faster than my languid pace, was quickly lost on the many bends of the road. I turned off onto another road without glimpsing the power truck again. I am sure, however, I will see that pole again standing alongside a local gravel road somewhere, tall and capable under the heavy power lines it will shoulder for decades to come.

By now the air was starting to warm up, stripping the coolness away, the sun was rising higher and hotter, and my right knee was sourly hinting that I still needed to make a minor adjustment or two to my riding position on the Gazelle.

Time to go home to enjoy the AC, a quick brunch, and maybe an afternoon nap to round out the remainder of the day. Zucchini is on the menu for dinner tonight.
20220630_133816_copy_800x748.jpg

Screenshot_20220630_105311.jpg

Last edited:
In order to beat the heat...

...one must NOT give in to the temptation of lingering in bed at 7am in the morning to get a few more winks of sleep, but instead check the clock with bleary eyes, pull on the cycling shorts, roll the bike out of the garage, and set off down the road while the temps were a glorious 59°f (15°c), a short lived gift that was soon to be chased off by the forecasted 90°f (32°c) heat and humidity in less than a few hours.

View attachment 127598

While the morning was blissfully clear, calm and cool, the "almost July" sun was hot and bright, slicing through the dense roadside foliage with a sharpness that hurt the eyes, even through the expensive lenses of my high dollar shades. I kept to the gravel roads as much as possible to take advantage of the deep shade, thankful that the recent rains had left the road surface soft enough to pack a faultless firm and fast under the tires of numerous vehicles traveling the roads afterwards. The firm surface left me free to really move along, testing (still) the mettle of the new Gazelle on the tough hills for the route I'd chosen.
View attachment 127600
While the snapshot doesn't do justice to the 13% grade of this hill, the fact that most analogue bikes have to climb in "granny gear" because it is steep meant that I had to employ Turbo and a low gear. I chose this route because of this hill to give the Gazelle the acid "climbing" test. Happy to say, it passed with flying colors, performing even better than the LaFree. Going to give credit to the Gazelle's more powerful Class 3 motor vs the less powered Class 1 LaFree.

View attachment 127601
There was still ample lingering evidence of the uprooted trees and debris caused by the violent storm, although most road debris had long been carted away. What was left was torn up ground from tree rootballs having been removed, and chainsawed tree limbs discarded in the brush where they had fallen. At the top of the hill I came across this scene of an uprooted shed that, seizing the unique opportunity for a fanciful adventure, had joined the fierce winds mid-storm and taken flight to see what the rest of the world had to offer. The giddy wind, clearly in a comedic mood, had taken the shed on a whirlwind journey across the field directly into the embrace of a more firmly anchored shed on a stone base. And thus the two sheds clung together like a couple dancing at a wedding, the slightly inebriated one gleefully recounting its heady windbourn adventures in a rather risque dance move to the amusement of the upright shed while both waited for the estate crew to come drag the wayward shed back to the field from whence it had flown.

I'm sure the estate crew, already overworked by storm debris cleanup, was not going to be amused.

View attachment 127602
I had just turned down this road and found myself following a power line truck enroute to yet another site of storm damage where the power poles had been damaged or snapped by falling trees. A brand new power pole proudly rode shotgun on the top of the truck, ready to replace a damaged pole somewhere along the road for the next 30 to 40 years until it, too, would be replaced by storm damage or simply old age. The truck, clearly on a tight time based mission of high importance demanding a traveling speed much faster than my languid pace, was quickly lost on the many bends of the road. I turned off onto another road without glimpsing the power truck again. I am sure, however, I will see that pole again standing alongside a local gravel road somewhere, tall and capable under the heavy power lines it will shoulder for decades to come.

By now the air was starting to warm up, stripping the coolness away, the sun was rising higher and hotter, and my right knee was sourly hinting that I still needed to make a minor adjustment or two to my riding position on the Gazelle.

Time to go home to enjoy the AC, a quick brunch, and maybe an afternoon nap to round out the remainder of the day. Zucchini is on the menu for dinner tonight.
View attachment 127605

View attachment 127604
Thats actually a saying in the UK, having too much to drink is called a shedfull

20220630_133816_copy_800x748.jpg
Gee, things grow fast in your neck of the woods. Our community veg plots are still juvenile in comparison and zucchini hasn’t even bloomed yet. Constant rain has hampered progress and only recently were we able to get at the weeds.

IMG_20220628_1334075.jpg

Gawjus! It takes us hours just to drive to the mountains. So nice to have this gem of a day hike so close to your home base. 👍
About 40 miles away from home. Although, with the ahem, right traffic is can be hours away. But it is NOT the Canadian Rockies. And I can assure you, with 4th of July weekend, I will avoid both the roads and the trails. We retirees do not need to compete for the trails on weekends or especially holiday weekends

About 40 miles away from home. Although, with the ahem, right traffic is can be hours away. But it is NOT the Canadian Rockies. And I can assure you, with 4th of July weekend, I will avoid both the roads and the trails. We retirees do not need to compete for the trails on weekends or especially holiday weekends
I hear ya, with July 1st Canada Day celebrations just around the corner, I can assure you that we’re stickin’ close to home too. I’m sure though many will be taking full advantage of the summer skiing up at Sunshine. No siree…not me.

1656676003369.png

Rain was threatening once again but wasn't due to arrive until 11am, so off I set at 7am into a lovely morning with light winds for a change! Roads like this were the order of the day, you can see the darkness in the distance here so I turned off the road and headed north to avoid the nasty rain clouds!

1656676287803.png

I reached the town of Kirknewton which was my destination with no sign of rain so far, in fact it was lovely here and you could see the Queensferry crossing in the distance!

1656676480944.png

1656676546782.png

I was now riding along the A70 which was pretty quiet today for a main road, the Pentland Hills can be seen on the left along most of this route!

1656676746723.png

1656677181387.png

This road climbs up to 1100ft and can be pretty nasty in the winter, no danger in July though with temps of 16C! I remember cycling it in the middle of winter many years ago with 6 foot snowbanks at either side, the road itself was fine though thankfully!

Harperrig Reservoir!

1656677495364.png

1656677567578.png

I was tempted to try this road today but with the threat of rain in the air I will leave it for another day!

1656677770222.png

The high point of the A70, all downhill after this thankfully!

1656677891892.png

Thankfully I made it home without a spot of rain, what a fantastic ride I had! :D In fact it still hasn't rained and its now after 1pm, the forecasts are very erratic these days....still no sign of summer here but I'm happy with the lower temps, 16C is just perfect for cycling! I may take my bike to the racing on Sunday but I will wait and see what the weather is doing as it will be a long day, I will only take the car if its absolutely necessary....

Attachments

• elevation_profile87.jpg
    elevation_profile87.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 102
  • trip-95108506-map-full87.png
    trip-95108506-map-full87.png
    453.2 KB · Views: 129
  • 20220701_084859.jpg
    20220701_084859.jpg
    698.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 20220701_084911.jpg
    20220701_084911.jpg
    719.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 20220701_085340.jpg
    20220701_085340.jpg
    714.9 KB · Views: 113
  • 20220701_090533.jpg
    20220701_090533.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 20220701_090547.jpg
    20220701_090547.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 116
  • 20220701_092032.jpg
    20220701_092032.jpg
    534.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 20220701_092051.jpg
    20220701_092051.jpg
    733 KB · Views: 120
  • 20220701_093906.jpg
    20220701_093906.jpg
    571.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 20220701_094015.jpg
    20220701_094015.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 105
I visited Colorado Springs in the way back 90s and drove up Pikes Peak when it was a dirt track.
So what Im saying is, could you ride up it?
I hitch hiked up there years ago since I was not sure my car would make it. But better yet, years ago, "we" drove up Mt Washington and since they charged per person, two guys got in the trunk so we could save some money!!!! Thanks for triggering that ridiculous memory!

The Coastal Path …

Sunshine Coast Coastal Path, Queensland, Australia

Sunshine Coast Coastal Path
Queensland

The full name of the walking and cycling trail running along the sand dunes next to the Pacific Ocean is the Sunshine Coast Coastal Path: why use three words when you have the opportunity to use a few more?

Be that as it may, a ride along the track is a delightful experience. The beach beside the trail has real waves rolling in from who knows how far away (Fiji, Tahiti?)—a novelty for me, given that my coastal rides are usually beside still waters in the lee of the huge sand islands that dominate the southern of the Queensland coast.

Some locals were determined to plunge into the icy water—I've just checked from the safety of the internet: 21ºC—but I kept to the path, stopping for photos and, more importantly, a chilli-spiced dark chocolate milkshake at Peregian Beach. (Put it on every chocoholic's bucket list!)

Back