Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

The Photoshoot

I stared at the email the former API photographer had just sent me that evening. I had been trying to evade him for weeks with this shoot he wanted, but he was relentless in his quest. He had photographed me before driving one of my ponies (one of those photos ended up on a magazine cover) but I kept hoping he'd find some other project. But noooo - he was fixated until he finally wore me down to agreeing to let him photograph me on my bike. But now, confronting the day in question ..was he serious about the time he wanted to meet? 7:30am? Really?? Yes. Yes, he was.

"I'm going to be out at sun up to shoot some b-roll" his email said, "and can meet up with you later in the morning. I still want that early angular light. I'm thinking 7:30ish if you can make that happen."

And that is why at 7:30 in the morning, an ungodly time by any civilized means, a time when I would still be luxurating in a warm cozy bed nowhere near contemplating rising, and still no clue what a "b-roll" was, that I was on my bike in the chill of the just risen sun, pedaling quietly and slowly into the countryside and into the camera lens. For the next 8 miles the photographer - who had arrived at my farm quite giddy with excitment over getting some brilliant pre-morning shots of a few local fog laden ponds (what time had this guy gotten up? 3am??) - and I played leapfrog, him getting his shots of me while I cycled along at a languid pace, picking up litter for my former-kiddie-now-litter-cart agreeably holding the orange litter bag while happily being towed along in my bike's wake.

For 8 miles he would race ahead of me, setting up his cameras, framing his shots. Shots mid-range, up high, to the side, front, back, and once at ground level with the camera sitting on the gravel road. I would cycle past and keep going, the camera shooting my retreat into the deep greens of late Spring along the gravel roads. At one point when he was driving behind me I glanced over my shoulder to see his camera being held on his roof out the driver door to capture video as I biked in front. Then he was off in a rush to set up his next shots further down the road. Again, and again, and again. For 8 miles.

For 8 miles I had to repeat the mantra "shoulders back, head UP, smile". The shoulders back/head up was a struggle, but the smiling came easy because...I hate to admit after my grousing at getting up at the butt crack of dawn ...the day was stunning. The gravel roads were both familiar and lovely, and the trash almost non-existant with just a few pieces for some decent litter pickup moments for the camera. A few construction trucks passed enroute, sharing good-morning waves, as did a large schoolbus rumbling on its way to pick up sleepy eyed kids and deliver them to school in time for the morning bell. I snugged the bike and trailer to the side of the road to let the lumbering equipment pass, and then after a friendly wave to the operators I would wait for them to relinquish the road before remounting my bike to continue the shoot.

At one point midway a bevy of 6 horses came into view, 2 ridden the rest led in hand, casually walking along. I called out to make sure the horses were OK with my bike, and upon the rider's reassurance that I was fine, the photographer had me stage in his line of sight to take us all into view. He recognized the lead rider as they came close enough for us all to exchange greetings. He told me afterwards, as he was showing me the video clip he had taken of them passing, how the lead rider, a staff member of the local foxhunt, had just recently been in the hospital for a bad fall she'd taken a few months prior. As he described a litany of her injuries - broken ribs, broken clavical, broken arm, punctured lung, plus a few more injuries my brain blocked out in horror - despite the fact that she had gotten up from her fall, blood coming out of every orifice of her face much to the angst of the huntsman who told her to lie down on the ground and stay there until the ambulance came - I blanched, threw up my arm to block any further words from hitting my ears, and said I'd heard enough. He and I both watched over our shoulders as the riders retreated down the road, their happy chatter fading slowly away with the distance, their passage left in a muddle of hoofprints on the soft, rainsoaked gravel.

Just ahead of us, beyond a bend, the gravel road became too narrow and too twisty for any good shots. I took off, riding ahead of the photographer as the road plunged downhill at a steep angle to cross a narrow century old concrete bridge spanning a madly rushing stream foaming muddy brown and boiling over its banks with the downpours of two days straight of rain. The narrow road then leaped straight up the following hill and it wasn't until the road shook off the incline and widened out across a flat, lovely pastoral scene that I let the photographer go past for some of his final shots.

At the end of 8 miles we stopped, he thanked me profusely, said he got some excellent photos and video, and arranged for me to come to the studio later this week to do an interview and voiceover audio. We said our goodbyes, and he drove off down the road, one hand out the window waving as his car disappeared out of view.

It was now almost 2 hours later into the morning. The day had warmed up, the sun was bright, the skies were a crystal blue, and the roads beckoned. I took their invitation to heart and biked a further 5 miles, simply enjoying the day. Plus snagging any litter that happened to be marring the perfection of the landscape. The rest of the morning was mine to enjoy solo in peace.

When I finally rolled into my driveway at 11, with a half bag of litter picked up, 13 miles on the GPS, warm and happy with a smile on my face, I decided that 7:30 am hadn't been all that bad to start a bike ride. 9am would have been better but...hey. Nothing beats that early morning light.

Today I'll stay in bed until noon. Just 'cuz.

PS - Since I had no photos of yesterday, here are two of his photos from a photoshoot he did with me in the Fall of 2018. It was the second one that ended up as a magazine cover. I'll share one or two from yesterday once I get something.
Willisville-Road-20-111218.jpg

Willisville-Road-14-111218_edit.jpg

Last edited:
Stefan - you're a movie star! How cool is that? All I could think when I read your post was "I see dead people". Gotta say you do "dead" very well.👌
I actually made a single artistic movement (approved by the director): When the "doctor" applied the defibrillator to my chest, I shook my body convincingly :D And it was for several takes!
Movie making is a magic. Especially as you listen to the director uttering the spell: "Sound? Camera? Yest' kamera!... Chapter 6, Take 7 (clapper), ready... action!" Playing dead, I suffered a cardiac massage by a "nurse", an oxygen mask held by another "nurse", a catheter an IV glued to my hand, the "female doctor" "making adrenalin injection", my jacket torn from my chest to reveal the "DO NOT RESUSCITE" "tattoo"... then, to my relief (as I tried not to breathe): "STOP! Yest' kamera stop!" :) The cameraman (who was Belorussian/Ukrainian) was replying to the director commands in Russian :)

And I had to ask people around what was actually happening in the scene as I kept my eyes closed!

It was one of the study movies each future director has to make. There is a chance we will see it! :)
P.S. The Russian "Yest'" means "I confirm". It is "it is" in Polish :)

Last edited:
I actually made a single artistic movement (approved by the director): When the "doctor" applied the defibrillator to my chest, I shook my body convincingly :D And it was for several takes!
Movie making is a magic. Especially as you listen to the director uttering the spell: "Sound? Camera? Yest' kamera!... Chapter 6, Take 7 (clapper), ready... action!" Playing dead, I suffered a cardiac massage by a "nurse", an oxygen mask held by another "nurse", a catheter glued to my hand, the "female doctor" "making adrenalin injection", my jacket torn from my chest to reveal the "DO NOT RESUSCITE" "tattoo"... then, to my relief (as I tried not to breathe): "STOP! Yest' kamera stop!" :) The cameraman (who was either Russian or Ukrainian) was replying to the director commands in Russian :)

And I had to ask people around what was actually happening in the scene as I kept my eyes closed!

It was one of the study movies each future director has to make. There is a chance we will see it! :)
Why were they defibrillating you if you had the tattoo? Is that part of the movie? Resuscitation Hell? We need to know!

It finally looks like the weather may be calm today. It has been quite blustery.

Movie making is a magic. Especially as you listen to the director uttering the spell: "Sound? Camera? Yest' kamera!... Chapter 6, Take 7 (clapper), ready... action!" Playing dead, I suffered a cardiac massage by a "nurse", an oxygen mask held by another "nurse", a catheter glued to my hand, the "female doctor" "making adrenalin injection", my jacket torn from my chest to reveal the "DO NOT RESUSCITE" "tattoo"... then, to my relief (as I tried not to breathe): "STOP! Yest' kamera stop!" :) The cameraman (who was either Russian or Ukrainian) was replying to the director commands in Russian :)

Perhaps that was an IV. A catheter, well, that would go along with BONKING and filming might have made folks blush!

Why were they defibrillating you if you had the tattoo? Is that part of the movie? Resuscitation Hell? We need to know!
That was the whole point of the short movie. I was not aware there were some people totally against resuscitating them (and I played such a person). The doctor was pro-life and he got confused to see the tattoo. The female doctor ran away to check my wallet and find a note forbidding resuscitation. The doctor made his decision and pressed the defibrillator to my body. (I admit I do not know the entire plot, only the movie is set in the U.S. twenty years ago).

Perhaps that was an IV. A catheter, well, that would go along with BONKING and filming might have made folks blush!
1652195707448.png

We call it a "venflon". Thanks for telling me!

Although I know what "bonking" actually means (as I have read books by Terry Pratchett, and he gave the name of Bonk to a city, to make it funnier), I understand that "to bonk" is a legit American cycling term for a severe exhaustion on a ride. Care to explain?

1652202183321.png

The full crew. See the nurse and the cardiac massage :) The "doctor", or Tomasz Sordyl looks a very promising young actor!

Last edited:
That was the whole point of the short movie. I was not aware there were some people totally against resuscitating them (and I played such a person). The doctor was pro-life and he got confused to see the tattoo. The female doctor ran away to check my wallet and find a note forbidding resuscitation. The doctor made his decision and pressed the defibrillator to my body. (I admit I do not know the entire plot, only the movie is set in the U.S. twenty years ago).

View attachment 122947
We call it a "venflon". Thanks for telling me!

Although I know what "bonking" actually means (as I have read books by Terry Pratchett, and he gave the name of Bonk to a city, to make it funnier), I understand that "to bonk" is a legit American cycling term for a severe exhaustion on a ride. Care to explain?
Well, as you are aware, AMERICAN english is different than BRITISH ENGLISH. We generally use your term "bonk/bonking" for the sudden loss of energy. But I've heard it used the other way, too. Throwing the"I" in there adds a bit more flourish for the OTHER meaning!

Hey, Aussies, care to comment?? ;)

No sane filmgoer is going to think you're a cyclist 20 years ago with that belly, suspension of disbelief taken too far methinks.

Boink is onomatopoeic in the UK, like boing, but with a cartoonish slant, meaning a light hit.

Sudden loss of energy is crashed. ie my energy levels crashed; if i don't eat soon i'm going to crash. etc

@Catalyzt I actually had to change the battery at 35 miles but it was only charged to 83%, the 20mph headwind coupled with the climbing was a real battery eater!

Still no sign of a break in the weather, I might chance it on Thursday but we shall see...

Well, as you are aware, AMERICAN english is different than BRITISH ENGLISH. We generally use your term "bonk/bonking" for the sudden loss of energy. But I've heard it used the other way, too. Throwing the"I" in there adds a bit more flourish for the OTHER meaning!

Hey, Aussies, care to comment?? ;)
I think in US English, for the British meaning of screwing, we might use boink and boinking.

The Polish dogs bark "hau hau" like in "how how" :D
I know a kid in Taiwan whose name is Hau Hau. I always thought it meant "Good good", because Hau means good in Mandarin. But later I learned it means First Son (with all the crushing responsibility of that status.) He hated it and preferred his English name Kevin.

Hi friends,
Some developments:
  1. Restored my office and gone working again.
  2. Moving to the temporary flat as of tomorrow. I will be living in a social block of flats in the North of our borough. Pleasant countryside anyway.
  3. Because it is not OK to look posh in front of my new neighbours, Lovelec will be my main ride for near future. Giant goes to Jacek, and Vado will be kept in reserve in Warsaw.
  4. Cleaning debris from my house (with a group of friends and neighbours) planned for Tuesday.
  5. First shot of Pfizer vaccine on Wednesday. I will ride up there 🙂 6.6 km from my new flat in a village familiar to me from my e-bike trips.
  6. I have promised my friend Anita (a new Como owner) as many as 14 rides together to make her addicted.
View attachment 83595
The block in Moszna-Parcela. The clean balcony is mine.

Peaceful area. See many bikes around.

Famous Moszna stack, never put in use. The most powerful communication aerial in Mazovia 😁

My former office.

My temporary new office.
Hey Stefan,

Sorry to hear about this fire. Are you still in the flats or are you back in the house?

Hey Stefan,

Sorry to hear about this fire. Are you still in the flats or are you back in the house?
Still in the flats. No reason to rebuild the house during the wartime, especially as all good Ukrainian workers went to defend their country. (And the times have become hard financially). Thanks for asking!

Back