Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

More mangroves and mud…

Deception Bay, SE Queensland

Deception Bay
46.7 km
I've been off my ebikes for a few too many days: so, when I decided to get going again, the long-planned trip into the mountains was put aside in favour of the easy option of a long, gentle ride along the coast. There was a bit too much sunshine for my liking, but that was a problem that was partly solved by starting early.

Too stave off boredom, I watched the odometer 'tick' its way to an allegedly significant figure. What's the next line of numbers to break the monotony?

Odometer : 12,345 km

Last edited by a moderator:
^The layered horizon is very interesting…
Well-spotted!
  • From the mangroves, past the small boat, to the distant larger boat (about 80% across the photo):
    • eastern edge of the Australian continent.
  • To the right of the larger boat (remaining 20% of photo):
    • Bribie Island.
  • Band of hazy cloud (about 30–40 km away):
    • ever-present (90% of the time, anyway!) cloud bank over the warm, south-flowing East Australian Current.

Last edited by a moderator:
More mangroves and mud…

View attachment 119580
Deception Bay
46.7 km
I've been off my ebikes for a few too many days: so, when I decided to get going again, the long-planned trip into the mountains was put aside in favour of the easy option of a long, gentle ride along the coast. There was a bit too much sunshine for my liking, but that was a problem that was partly solved by starting early.

Too stave off boredom, I watched the odometer 'tick' its way to an allegedly significant figure. What's the next line of numbers to break the monotony?

View attachment 119576
More mangroves and mud…

View attachment 119580
Deception Bay
46.7 km

View attachment 119576
Can there really be too much sunshine, we are back below freezing for another week and right now "down under" sounds like paradise

Can there really be too much sunshine, we are back below freezing for another week and right now "down under" sounds like paradise
Why yes, yes there can be. I agree - too much sunshine yesterday. Despite being completely covered in layers of chemical and mechanical (zinc) sunscreen, I got somewhat sunburned during my hour long swim yesterday (because, even though the pool I go to was built in 2016 and Queensland is something like #1 in the world for skin cancer, in their infinite wisdom, the Brisbane city council didn't put ANY shade over the pool). Clouds in Queensland are a good thing (mostly, the exception being when they spit water for weeks and weeks on end).

Why yes, yes there can be. I agree - too much sunshine yesterday. Despite being completely covered in layers of chemical and mechanical (zinc) sunscreen, I got somewhat sunburned during my hour long swim yesterday (because, even though the pool I go to was built in 2016 and Queensland is something like #1 in the world for skin cancer, in their infinite wisdom, the Brisbane city council didn't put ANY shade over the pool). Clouds in Queensland are a good thing (mostly, the exception being when they spit water for weeks and weeks on end).
Australia is such a different continent...

I never thought I'd utter these words after living my first 29 years in Winnipeg and then the next 10 in the UK, but winter is the best season!
I would say that is living the dream, this week Winnipeg is looking at the worst blizzard in decades with 50 cm of snow expected and up to 80 cm in the Red River valley (my son ranches in Manitoba) so keep the sunscreen lathered and biking is a way more fun (in my mind) than snowmobiling

I would say that is living the dream, this week Winnipeg is looking at the worst blizzard in decades with 50 cm of snow expected and up to 80 cm in the Red River valley (my son ranches in Manitoba) so keep the sunscreen lathered and biking is a way more fun (in my mind) than snowmobiling
Yes, 100 agree! My brother still lives there and my partner (who has never seen snow) wants to go there for Xmas... I'm not overly keen tbh!

It didn't snow here. We had wind. Too much to ride in with pretty nasty gusts. I ended the day cranky. This morning looks promising. At this time yesterday, the wind was blowing hard.

I haven't driven for 10 days.

I ordered some Gazelle panniers so I can haul more groceries. My home made ones are too hard to attach and unattach, but will work for carrying fiddle and music when needed.

We’ve experienced snow on occasion well into June.
A group ride leader (who seems to be fond of me although he treats me as a funny guy, too) asked me a couple weeks ago:
'Stefan, when will you get rid of your winter helmet?'
'When the daily temperature exceeds 15 C", I answered.
Several days ago, I reminded him of his question. Now, he was aware the winter wouldn't leave us soon. So he said:
'The Spring won't come early this year...', and I said:
'I think the second half of June should be warm!'
:D

Back