Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

I thought when I bought my bike last year I’d do some winter riding with these nice wide tires (2.4"). But when the weather turned cold I did what us southerners are known for and waited for it to warm up. I’d go out for a few rides here and there but nothing regular. This week with temps around 70F I’ve gotten out for rides everyday and am starting to get back into riding shape. I’ve got a 6 mile neighborhood loop that I ride until I’m satisfied with my stamina to ride out farther. I got 4 laps in today.
View attachment 115873
The route goes under and then over the interstate on a greenway. Here in Nashville, as I’m sure in other communities they are debating ebikes on the greenways. Following the community meetings about it I’ve learned that my bike is actually illegal to be used on the greenways, which I think is ridiculous. I have a class 3 bike, a Trek Allant+ 8s and the Allant+ 8 looks just like it but is a class 1 bike. If you set them side by side you couldn’t tell the difference. I can go 8 mph faster with assist. Big deal! The speed limit is 15mph so both can exceed the limit. And this is at the state level. The city is discussing how to go forward with local ordinances to allow bike sharing companies access to the greenways and have taken surveys and done studies. It’s obvious that these are people that don’t understand ebikes and our future is in their hands. It’s all very frustrating to watch.

The greenway that’s illegal for me to ride.
View attachment 115874

The interstate it passes over.
View attachment 115875

Sorry to bother you with my soap opera but the greenways are great for avoiding traffic and my taxes pay for them just as much as everyone else so it’s frustrating to watch.
I think you should show them - ride the FREEWAY. In another forum someone posted a link to regulations.

Enforcement is another thing altogether. I've only seen one sign in my area and it is hidden in shrubs and near the end of the path telling me my bike is NOT permitted, since like yours, it is Class 3.

I think you should show them - ride the FREEWAY. In another forum someone posted a link to regulations.

Enforcement is another thing altogether. I've only seen one sign in my area and it is hidden in shrubs and near the end of the path telling me my bike is NOT permitted, since like yours, it is Class 3.

These drivers are nuts on city streets let alone the freeway! 😀

The saying around here is that speed limits are just a suggestion since they never enforce it. The same with the greenways. Not to worried about it but it’s infuriating seeing this.

Thank you. It was interesting. From the viewpoint of having owned a BEV for 3.5 years, it was like reading about a long time cyclist who is discovering the fun world of ebikes for the first time. It made me smile.

We have a lot to thank the visionaries for in the realm of advanced e-bikes and e-cars. The next 5-6 years are going to be fascinating to experience. By next year I hope to be transitioned to a full BEV household, driving my Rivian with my ebike in the bed, going to charity bike rides both far and near, and recharging my bikes and vehicles courtesy of the sun.

Maybe (hopefully, probably) well before then I'll have added a gravel ebike to my herd.😁
My truck needs to be replaced… tried to get in line and order an electric Ford Lighting today and the registration is closed likely for the year. The new Chevy Silverado EV isn’t available until 2024. It is unfortunate…I need a truck. 😬🚴‍♀️

The saying around here is that speed limits are just a suggestion since they never enforce it. The same with the greenways. Not to worried about it but it’s infuriating seeing this.
I'll hazard a bet there are no teeth in that ebike restriction. Scofflaw that I am, I ignore rules like this that exclude for no good purpose. Then again, I ride a bike that looks exactly like the bikes everyone else rides except that mine can gently assist. Mine doesn't look like the pseudo-motorcycle Mad Max machines that these lawmakers mistake for "ebikes" and thus want to discourage. Even savvy cyclists on unassisted bikes have to look closely to determine if mine is electric. The county has neither the time nor the money to post law enforcement on the Greenway simply to check bikes. They have better things to do.

No one will care as long as you blend in with everyone else. No one.

Law enforcement *will* care if they catch you cycling on the freeway, however. Federal law prohibits everything except vehicular trucks and cars. Riding a bike (or even walking) on a designated freeway will get you collared by some very annoyed state police really fast. Not a fate I'd want to tempt.

Last edited:
My truck needs to be replaced… tried to get in line and order an electric Ford Lighting today and the registration is closed likely for the year. The new Chevy Silverado EV isn’t available until 2024. It is unfortunate…I need a truck. 😬🚴‍♀️
It's too bad that the electric truck revolution is so late to the game. They should have had their hand in years before. What's worse was the pandemic for screwing up the supply chain and setting progress back by at least a year. Its like a 1960s Beatles performance that you had hoped to see...until you found the line for tickets extended for miles around the block and people were sleeping overnight in tents hoping to get seats before they were sold out.

That's what the wait is for an electric truck right now. I've had my tent up in line for the Rivian for several years now.

If you can encourage your truck to limp along for another year (or two) you might be able to jump in line to get an e-truck by the end of 2023.

I'll hazard a bet there are no teeth in that ebike restriction. Scofflaw that I am, I ignore rules like this that exclude for no good purpose. Then again, I ride a bike that looks exactly like the bikes everyone else rides except that mine can gently assist. Mine doesn't look like the pseudo-motorcycle Mad Max machines that these lawmakers mistake for "ebikes" and thus want to discourage. Even savvy cyclists on unassisted bikes have to look closely to determine if mine is electric. The county has neither the time nor the money to post law enforcement on the Greenway simply to check bikes. They have better things to do.

No one will care as long as you blend in with everyone else. No one.

Law enforcement *will* care if they catch you cycling on the freeway, however. Federal law prohibits everything except vehicular trucks and cars. Riding a bike (or even walking) on a designated freeway will get you collared by some very annoyed state police really fast. Not a fate I'd want to tempt.
Since I have ridden along/on I-90 east of Seattle, well, east of Issaquah, in the past, I just checked and it is still legal. I have to say it is not necessarily pleasant. There's a ton of noise and heavy vehicles. Even back then, tractor trailers were more hospitable than inept drivers of motor homes. The trucks would move out of the right lane and give up room and freedom from turbulence. Boxy motor homes would just tool along in the right lane and buffet us. There are even sections of I-5 where it is permitted. There are areas where the is no reasonable alternatives.

Urban sections of the freeways are closed to bikes.

Since I have ridden along/on I-90 east of Seattle, well, east of Issaquah, in the past, I just checked and it is still legal. I have to say it is not necessarily pleasant. There's a ton of noise and heavy vehicles. Even back then, tractor trailers were more hospitable than inept drivers of motor homes. The trucks would move out of the right lane and give up room and freedom from turbulence. Boxy motor homes would just tool along in the right lane and buffet us. There are even sections of I-5 where it is permitted. There are areas where the is no reasonable alternatives.

Urban sections of the freeways are closed to bikes.
Not to be pedantic but Freeways are different from Interstates. Interstates may have restrictions in certain circumstances, but generally where they go through rural areas they are open ... although they are anything but comfortable for bicycles. All freeways, on the other hand, are restricted access. No bikes allowed.

I avoid both.

Highways, on the other hand, can be just as hairy (speedwise), but I can tolerate them for short stretches when they have big, wide shoulders. Bikes on major dual lane highways, I've discovered much to my amusement, tend to scare most drivers. Seriously. Not kidding.

Last edited:
Freeways are restricted access. No bikes allowed.

Highways, on the other hand, can be just as hairy (speedwise).
"Cyclists welcome" – if we dare. There's even an magpie waiting patiently on the street light!

Warrego Highway, Queensland

No, I did not take this photo! (Thanks Google Street View.)

This is definitely not a motorway but I do have every right to ride it! Just imagine being caught between the guard rail and the blue truck (a typical interstate freighter – limited to two trailers on the Pacific side of the continental divide). Whoosh… splat!

This section of the Warrego Highway is used by around 6000 heavy vehicles per day (4 per minute). A sign just up the road indicating 'Darwin – 3423 km' explains all: the cost of upgrading to motorway standard would be prohibitive.

And why is there a crossing between the divided lanes? Crazy! (Motorways, by definition, must be crossed by bridges or underpasses.) My guess is that the fuel company, who has owned that spot for ages, could have (would have!) successfully demanded a mega-sum in compensation. I have often filled up there but have never crossed the road to do so. (Reminder to self: start saving for that Rivian!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Graveloza - Mazovian Landscape Park

I hate riding dirt. I am not happy to ride damaged gravel roads. I do love riding pavement. I do not even own a gravel e-bike! However, the "Polish Format of Gravel Cycling" that assumes riding in forests with occasional switching to paved roads has attracted me: for people and camaraderie. Riding alone is so boring!

1646512805889.png

9:22 am on Saturday morning in the summer resort of Celestynów eastwards of River Vistula and far southwards of Warsaw. Over 30 people have started the ride at 9:34. A quarter later, another group (late comers) started chasing us. Not to avail! A fact: Very few Polish gravel cyclists own a bike rack; therefore, gravel bikes are brought to the ride start inside station-wagons or even in smaller cars, with the front wheel removed.

1646513076688.png

I don't think all people who started the ride could complete the route. It was a cold day (and you need to dress properly), and the ride speed was pretty high.

1646513177394.png

Near to Pilawa. Here, the riding groups split. Here, the Performance Group expected to ride for a Metric Century at high speed. The guy without the helmet is the organizer :) Too funny! It was him to tell the participants wearing the helmet was obligatory, and he not only forgot to take a body armour with him but he didn't take the helmet either! :D

1646513406453.png

The Recreational Group. Over 75 km to ride, and our average speed was pretty good as for amateurs!

1646513514500.png

The name of the nature reservation is hilarious. It is virtually impossible to give a good translation. I hesitate between "The Place Where You Bonk" and "A Place For Suckers" :D

1646513975334.png

I had only one real stop on my ride. At some point, I decided to wait for the slow party. After 5 minutes of waiting, I realized I lost any chance to re-join the group leaders! So I gave them a solid chase, only stopping at the "Place Where You Bonk" to take photos :)

1646514556577.png

And I caught up with them: Marek, Paul and Janek.

1646514614224.png

Once we got on the pavement again, we did a real Keirin, or motor-paced cycle racing! Indeed, I had a motor in my Vado so I rode out to the front, and my mates were drafting behind me! It allowed us a really fast return to Celestynów!

And now, the best! When we could see the finish line, I went Turbo and finished the race in the 1st place. Then we went to the Pizzeria Nigro -- the meeting point - to discover we were the first racers to reach the finish! How come? Simply: The Performance Group spent 13 minutes more on their 100 km ride than we did on our 75 km one! Haha!

1646515062588.png

There were so many bikes that some of them got stored inside the pizzeria!

To disappoint some of you: No food pictures! I had Tomato Soup, a small Capricciosa pizza, and Winter Tea. I was so hungry I didn't take any pictures! :)

1646515241822.png

The Ride Metrics. I was riding 50 or 60% of full power Specialized assistance. (I regret my Vado has no Infinite Tune feature to let me -- for instance -- reduce the assistance whenever needed during riding). People were -- as always -- interested in my Speed Vado, and in e-bikes in general. For example, Marek was demo riding a Creo SL the day before and was enchanted!

Last edited:
The Island was beautiful today! Sun, sparkling blue water, calm(ish) wind, temps in the high 40s range.

Electric socks kept my feet toasty warm, and I actually had to shed a layer halfway through the ride 😁.

Almost 17 miles of bliss on my La Free!

IMG_20220305_140143374_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20220305_141530662_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220305_142245481_HDR.jpg
Screenshot_20220305-155825.pngScreenshot_20220305-153359~2.png
Screenshot_20220305-155953.png

At last!

1646562240995.png

Someone (Marek) took a picture of me on my Vado :)

I had a talk with Marek about his impressions from the Creo SL demo ride. He was the most impressed with the way the Specialized system cuts off the motor after the speed has increased past the limiter: "The assistance is not abruptly taken away from you. Instead the power delivery is reduced smoothly and then you are on your own, hardly noticing that. The only indication that you ride unassisted is your thighs feel a little bit stiffer!"

Last edited:

I hate riding dirt. I am not happy to ride damaged gravel roads. I do love riding pavement. I do not even own a gravel e-bike! However, the "Polish Format of Gravel Cycling" that assumes riding in forests with occasional switching to paved roads has attracted me: for people and camaraderie. Riding alone is so boring!

View attachment 115918
9:22 am on Saturday morning in the summer resort of Celestynów eastwards of River Vistula and far southwards of Warsaw. Over 30 people have started the ride at 9:34. A quarter later, another group (late comers) started chasing us. Not to avail! A fact: Very few Polish gravel cyclists own a bike rack; therefore, gravel bikes are brought to the ride start inside station-wagons or even in smaller cars, with the front wheel removed.

View attachment 115919
I don't think all people who started the ride could complete the route. It was a cold day (and you need to dress properly), and the ride speed was pretty high.

View attachment 115920
Near to Pilawa. Here, the riding groups split. Here, the Performance Group expected to ride for a Metric Century at high speed. The guy without the helmet is the organizer :) Too funny! It was him to tell the participants wearing the helmet was obligatory, and he not only forgot to take a body armour with him but he didn't take the helmet either! :D

View attachment 115921
The Recreational Group. Over 75 km to ride, and our average speed was pretty good as for amateurs!

View attachment 115922
The name of the nature reservation is hilarious. It is virtually impossible to give a good translation. I hesitate between "The Place Where You Bonk" and "A Place For Suckers" :D

View attachment 115923
I had only one real stop on my ride. At some point, I decided to wait for the slow party. After 5 minutes of waiting, I realized I lost any chance to re-join the group leaders! So I gave them a solid chase, only stopping at the "Place Where You Bonk" to take photos :)

View attachment 115924

View attachment 115925
Once we got on the pavement again, we did a real Keirin, or motor-paced cycle racing! Indeed, I had a motor in my Vado so I rode out to the front, and my mates were drafting behind me! It allowed us a really fast return to Celestynów!

And now, the best! When we could see the finish line, I went Turbo and finished the race in the 1st place. Then we went to the Pizzeria Nigro -- the meeting point - to discover we were the first racers to reach the finish! How come? Simply: The Performance Group spent 13 minutes more on their 100 km ride than we did on our 75 km one! Haha!

View attachment 115926

To disappoint some of you: No food pictures! I had Tomato Soup, a small Capricciosa pizza, and Winter Tea. I was so hungry I didn't take any pictures! :)

View attachment 115927
The Ride Metrics. I was riding 50 or 60% of full power Specialized assistance. (I regret my Vado has no Infinite Tune feature to let me -- for instance -- reduce the assistance whenever needed during riding). People were -- as always -- interested in my Speed Vado, and in e-bikes in general. For example, Marek was demo riding a Creo SL the day before and was enchanted!
Place Where You Bonk.
We have such places as well, though they dont get an official sign

View attachment 115918

View attachment 115919

View attachment 115920

View attachment 115921

View attachment 115922

View attachment 115923

View attachment 115924

View attachment 115925

View attachment 115926

View attachment 115927
Wow Stefan, what are fun group!
You are so fortunate. Could you imagine cycling with this group before you had your ebikes?! And I suspect many of the members will be considering getting an ebike. 🚴🏼‍♀️🚴🏾‍♂️🍺🍻🍔

1646579362846.png

Today was my 400th ride on my amazing e bike, it will be 4 years old at the end of this month and still rides like the day I bought it! 😁I have covered 18,633 miles from the 400 rides, an average of 46.58 miles! I couldn't have asked for a nicer day at the time of year, it was bitterly cold but the light winds made it just perfect for a nice 50 mile ride! The back roads were out of bounds today but being a Sunday the main roads were pretty quiet!

The frost remained all day in the shady parts but the sun did a great job and most of the roads were lovely and dry!

1646579880569.png

I'm glad we ride on the left and I was going downhill today! ;) Its actually a great road but very neglected when it comes to repairs...

1646580390176.png

I was hoping to ride to Lanark this morning but the road was closed so I had to detour, with views like this I wasn't complaining!

1646580560351.png

1646580635072.png

This road was heavily salted as its over 1100ft up, I just love the descent around the corner where I hit 40.7mph today! I almost reached 50mph on this road before, its pretty exhilarating in the right conditions but very prone to crosswinds...

1646580870619.png

My legs were pretty tired today, I had to use level 2 and sometimes level 3 assist to get up those hills! Having 2 batteries is a life saver, I actually managed 34 miles on my first battery which was pretty awesome considering I was using the assist more than normal! I will rest my legs for a couple of days now and recharge and hopefully reach 500 rides by the end of this year! Ironically last year I had 118 rides and so far this year I have 18, only 100 to go :D What a fantastic 400th ride that was, here's to many many more!

Attachments

• elevation_profile42.jpg
    elevation_profile42.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 123
  • trip-84269708-map-full42.png
    trip-84269708-map-full42.png
    413.6 KB · Views: 123
  • 20220306_093130.jpg
    20220306_093130.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 20220306_093136.jpg
    20220306_093136.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 20220306_093140.jpg
    20220306_093140.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 20220306_093143.jpg
    20220306_093143.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 20220306_100217.jpg
    20220306_100217.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 20220306_100222.jpg
    20220306_100222.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 140
  • 20220306_100252.jpg
    20220306_100252.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 131
  • 20220306_102419.jpg
    20220306_102419.jpg
    617.4 KB · Views: 133
  • 20220306_102445.jpg
    20220306_102445.jpg
    643.3 KB · Views: 124
  • 20220306_102509.jpg
    20220306_102509.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 135
  • 20220306_102525.jpg
    20220306_102525.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 131
  • 20220306_102529.jpg
    20220306_102529.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 126
You are so fortunate. Could you imagine cycling with this group before you had your ebikes?! And I suspect many of the members will be considering getting an ebike.
What a fun! The Graveloza organizer spotted my 80 km group ride of today on Strava, and wrote me this humorous message:
-- Hi! I feel you need to join our Performance Group! What was it, that playing to be a stallion with your 80 km ride of today?! :D

"Long Time No See" Ride

Przemek The Gravel Man and Ania The Roadie were the first people to accept me in a group of traditional cyclists on Feb 28th, 2021. They taught me endurance and long riding without taking a rest. They showed me by their own example what cameraderie and helping one another meant for a cycling group. I am so grateful to them!

I and Ania have not seen each other for many months (although we could stay in touch via Strava and FB). Przemek convinced Ania to come for the Sunday ride, chose the time convenient for her, and made a promise we would never leave paved roads, so Ania's "Princess" road bike would be safe against catching a flat. And he kept his promise as good as he could! For me, starting at 2 pm (instead of 8 am!) was convenient, too. Michał K, a regular member of Przemek group rides joined, too.

1646601563961.png

Long Time No See. Meeting at Walczewski's Ponds in Grodzisk Mazowiecki. Can you see skiing gloves on my hands? I felt it would be very cold on the ride! (Heated socks helped my feet survive, too).

1646601786887.png

41st kilometre: The only longer rest on the ride. "Longer" meant nine minutes, haha! :) (I can read such information from the BLEvo app).

1646602270856.png

"The Group Power!"

1646602336857.png

That very road had no paved continuation, so we had to go back a little. Meanwhile, we started suffering cold. It was 0 C down to -2 C. I used to ride under far colder conditions yet we all felt the cold was terrible. Even fast ride could not help us getting any warmer! And we were eventually returning in the dark. (Powerful Vado headlight helped the group to see road surfaces perfectly, even if I was riding in the tail!)

1646602578288.png

I decided to swap the batteries earlier than needed to save time. The swap took me under 1 minute! (We did it on an extemely short "technical stop", 2 minutes 23 seconds according to BLEvo).

1646602883214.png

After return to our homes, we shared experiences. Any of us froze to the core! Even my post-ride hot shower felt not warm enough! And now, something interesting. I did the ride with 45/45% Specialized (full power) assistance. It was too much of assistance as for the ride on paved roads! I got too little workout!

Last edited:
What a fun! The Graveloza organizer spotted my 80 km group ride of today on Strava, and wrote me this humorous message:
-- Hi! I feel you need to join our Performance Group! What was it, that playing to be a stallion with your 80 km ride of today?! :D

"Long Time No See" Ride

Przemek The Gravel Man and Ania The Roadie were the first people to accept me in a group of traditional cyclists on Feb 28th, 2021. They taught me endurance and long riding without taking a rest. The showed me by their own deeds what cameraderie and helping one another meant for a cycling group. I am so grateful to them!

I and Ania have not seen each other for many months (although we could stay in touch via Strava and FB). Przemek convinced Ania to come for the Sunday ride, chose the time convenient for her, and made a promise we would never leave paved roads, so Ania's "Princess" road bike would be safe against catching a flat. And he kept his promise as good as he could! For me, starting at 2 pm (instead of 8 am!) was convenient, too. Michał K, a regular member of Przemek group rides joined, too.

View attachment 116030
Long Time No See. Meeting at Walewski's Ponds in Grodzisk Mazowiecki. Can you see skiing gloves on my hands? I felt it would be very cold on the ride! (Heated socks helped my feet survive, too).

View attachment 116031
41st kilometre: The only longer rest on the ride. "Longer" meant nine minutes, haha! :) (I can read such information from the BLEvo app).

View attachment 116032
"The Group Power!"

View attachment 116033
That very road had no paved continuation, so we had to go back a little. Meanwhile, we started suffering cold. It was 0 C down to -2 C. I used to ride under far colder conditions yet we all felt the cold was terrible. Even fast ride could not help us getting any warmer! And we were eventually returning in the dark. (Powerful Vado headlight helped the group to see road surfaces perfectly, even if I was riding in the tail!)

View attachment 116037
I decided to swap the batteries earlier than needed to save time. The swap took me under 1 minute! (We did it on an extemely short "technical stop", 2 minutes 23 seconds according to BLEvo).

View attachment 116038
After return to our homes, we shared experiences. Any of us froze to the core! Even my post-ride hot shower felt not warm enough! And now, something interesting. I did the ride with 45/45% Specialized (full power) assistance. It was too much of assistance as for the ride on paved roads! I got too little workout!
Ania seems to be giving that..'youre not doing it right' to the cameraman.

Over the weekend, Manchester Ian and I rode the Bench Trail but we found it slow going at times when it came to dealing with the snow along the hilly sections of the track. There was zero hard pack on top to gain any traction over the soft snow. I have to admit that this is the most snow that I’ve ridden on along the Bluff. The day started out a bit gloomy and overcast but by the time we completed the Bluff single we were greeted with blue skies.

Web capture_5-3-2022_192035_ridewithgps.com.jpeg
GH010015_Moment(2).jpg

GH010015_Moment(3).jpg

GH010016_Moment.jpg

GH010017_Moment.jpgGH010018_Moment.jpgGH010020_Moment.jpg

More ice bike antics on the local skating pond.

GH010022_Moment.jpg

Snow at Heritage was also deep but the trails were slightly easier to navigate around.

GH010024_Moment.jpg

I switched up cameras on this day for one which allows me to capture wider, immersive footage. It's just a slightly expanded POV from behind the bars. The funny looking mount that you see on the bars actually comes into play in the second video.

I had a bit of playful fun with a lot of help from the camera in this short solo segment.

Back