Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

I Should Have Told Them To Swap Their Position To Create The Correct Flag :)

1646091941405.png

July 10th, 2021.

What's to be done about the deluge?

View attachment 115328

Two days off the bike; and tomorrow is going to be just as bad. That'll make three days!

What would be the point of heading out into the deluge when the birds of the forest are heading to our deck for shelter (and to sit there in their own little private puddles)? Even this parrot was scratching his head in bewilderment! (Females and junior males have to make do with green heads.)

Enough of summer showers: bring on autumn!

View attachment 115326
Australian King-Parrot (male)
Even your rainy days are gorgeous.

Floodwaters draining away …

Bremer River, Ipswich

Water waiting to fill up the Pacific.

On Monday night one driver misjudged the depth of the water. Presumably, he – it's usually a 'he' driving an old car like this – also ignored the traffic barrier. Next week: no car and no licence – ignoring a flood sign is the ultimate driving offence.

A section of the Brassall Bikeway can be seen on the left side of the bridge.

Iron Pot Creek, Brassall, Ipswich, Queensland

Iron Pot Creek, Brassall, QLD

With the Bremer River dropping from seventeen to 'only' eleven metres above its normal level, I chanced my luck on my trip to see Jen. Over optimistic! The One Mile Bridge – it was named during the late 1800s – had reappeared, but the transport authorities were not letting anyone (cyclists and pedestrians included) cross until the road surface had been scrubbed clean. Hopefully, they had sufficient water to wash away the clayey mud!

The floodlights are for a touch football field: goalposts visible to left of centre tree. The receding floodwaters left a clear high-water mark (foreground) where I stopped.

Football Fields beside Bremer River, Ipswich

Football Fields beside Bremer River, Ipswich

Last edited by a moderator:
You've been lucky 😁. Hope that luck holds. On the other hand, you could have just been asymptomatic, but still infected. I'm "triple jabbed", and haven't had a sniffle either. The data tells a different story from what seems to be, so I'll stick with science and data 😉.
The people that I know that caught the Covid were all double or triple jabbed and none required hospital and had just a mild cold. The fella I ran into at the golf course Sunday had not been jabbed, had come down with Covid and almost died. He still comes to the golf course coughing and hacking and feeling miserable. The management should tell him to stay home...

Im not sure if Ive mentioned this, I might have fibbed because no one knows, but Im only single vaxxed with astra.
Caught delta before 2nd jab, very mild., havent been back since.
Im going to have to get an antigen test to get to madeira, no big problem.
I now seem completely immune and triple jabbers around me are getting it and Im sniffle free.
I always suffered terribly with colds when I was younger, I think my immune system has seen it all.
I enjoyed Madeira a few years back. It was a trip that included the main island of the Azores and Madeira as well as a few days on either side in Lisbon. The May 2020 trip to some of the other Azorean Islands was canceled, and I believe my fare from Boston to eh Azores is dead!!!

Triple shotted!!!! And OLD! And now FATTER!

Drizzle absolutely DOES ruin my hair! The author who is a guy, probably didn't even ask any women about this 🤣🤣🤣!

Otherwise, pretty correct description of weather patterns in most of the area 😉. Enjoying a day of liquid sunshine today 😁.
What is weird is that while we are damp, I don't tend to frizz as much as I did in more humid locations. As I hit the sack, my gauge had 2.19 inches for yesterday. Sea-Tac has nearly 3 or more???

What is weird is that while we are damp, I don't tend to frizz as much as I did in more humid locations. As I hit the sack, my gauge had 2.19 inches for yesterday. Sea-Tac has nearly 3 or more???
We just had a showery, drizzly day up here yesterday. Today, there's even some blue sky!

Excited!

Meanwhile in Mazovia, a group ride has been announced by the Graveloza Cycling Club. The ride will take place in the Mazovian Landscape Park (eastwards of River Vistula) for the coming Saturday. A 75 km (slower) and 100 km (fast & furious) routes have been published.

1646172059058.png

The group I'm choosing to ride with (75 km).

Although the routes have been inspected by the organizers, the ride would occur below the freezing point. Will we meet many dangerous frozen ruts? Any new fallen trees? We will see! I perhaps regret I have already got rid of my winter tyres but will ride on Smart Sams that are adequate for pretty rough terrain. One thing is sure: I have already ordered the post-ride meal together with the Club! :)

Too much snow & ice to my liking but the ale was something to be envious! What beer style?
I had IPA and Louis had a Brown Ale. The snow and ice was a very short section of the ride, maybe a half a km.
It was on the south bank of the Bow river and some of that ice will be there until June as it's very sheltered from the sun. I'll edit the post later with a map.

I had IPA and Louis had a Brown Ale. The snow and ice was a very short section of the ride, maybe a half a km.
It was on the south bank of the Bow river and some of that ice will be there until June as it's very sheltered from the sun. I'll edit the post later with a map.
I have cross-country skied across frozen and rutty Bow Lake in the park and up to the hut. But biking that ICE - no way!

Pretty sure that I would want the liquid courage before trying to ride across that! Please tell me that Louis has studded tires, hard to tell in the pics.

1646227981264.png

Another nice ride today, my legs were still feeling Sunday's epic but they soon loosened off thankfully! I just stayed local today and had to be careful due to icy patches, I turned up one of my back roads and beat a hasty retreat...not quite as bad as @RandallS experienced but it was impossible to even stand up! I didn't take any photos today so I will add some more of my Sunday ones!

1646228799719.png

1646228897873.png

Attachments

• elevation_profile40.jpg
    elevation_profile40.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 145
  • trip-83996253-map-full40.png
    trip-83996253-map-full40.png
    422.4 KB · Views: 159
  • 20220227_093437.jpg
    20220227_093437.jpg
    393.5 KB · Views: 164
  • 20220227_100630.jpg
    20220227_100630.jpg
    442.8 KB · Views: 148
  • 20220227_100635.jpg
    20220227_100635.jpg
    558.8 KB · Views: 158
  • 20220227_100641.jpg
    20220227_100641.jpg
    742.3 KB · Views: 156
  • 20220227_101937.jpg
    20220227_101937.jpg
    433.4 KB · Views: 161
  • 20220227_101944.jpg
    20220227_101944.jpg
    488.9 KB · Views: 157
  • 20220227_101954.jpg
    20220227_101954.jpg
    764.5 KB · Views: 160
As promised - here is our route yesterday. The icy bits were along the Bow river and at that point of the river valley it's about a 90m deep slope that's well protected from sunshine in the winter.
The trail is essentially closed - but still passable.

As the title implies, the ride was more about "ingestibles" than exercise.
I had to go to Louis' place to pick up some new wheels and we turned the occasion into a short ride and lunch at a brewpub near his home.

@Chargeride - I wish I WAS wearing crampons.

1646233242695.png

1646233137584.png

Back