Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

Are you sure you're the right way up?
Of course not! I'm the right way down!

2022-01-31-063651-(2)-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg

Flying Fox
Genus : Pteropus
On my final January ride I came across this furry flyer (and a thousand of its mates) hanging out in a small park in Brisbane's western suburbs. Most of these roosting megabats – they're amongst the largest bats in the world – were between ten and fifteen metres above the ground… actually, I was crossing a creek on a well-spattered boardwalk and chose to look up to discover who was treating the place as a toilet! The usual suspects!

What I know about flying foxes is negligible. If you're interested, here is a link to information on this genus of bat: Pteropus.

Edenbrooke Bikeway, Brisbane

I concur with @Stefan Mikes when he says that Feb is normally the harshest month of the year in Poland. It can be a brutal time here on the Cdn prairies as well. Today marks the end of the month and so far, the forecast doesn’t indicate anything extraordinary for this time of the season. After all, were still very much in winter mode and will be for a while. At least it's sunny! ;)

Screenshot 2022-01-31 at 12-17-01 Red Deer, Alberta 7 Day Weather Forecast - The Weather Network.jpg

@David Berry – Out of control weeds and ‘hot and humid’ are the furthest things from my mind but it’s nice to know that you spend so much quality time with your wife. Kudos to you and @RabH for doing what you do for your loved ones. 🥰

Had a nice ride around Bourton Park in Buckingham this morning.
C5639BA7-1976-4282-97B4-981D39B4EFBB.jpeg
DE8E9EC8-60E8-4EB7-BB36-828DE66CF6C5.jpeg

9F42B485-15D5-4DF5-8D61-1970655EEBBB.jpeg

Weather started off as slightly cloudy with a temperature of 7oC, but with wind chill, felt more like 4oC, again with a strong wind. However, during the ride the temperature increased to 10oC and the sun came out, making it a very pleasant ride.

0D019026-A8DA-4A53-9124-D2A7CBA54A59.jpeg
48DBDB28-606D-4A99-8639-C5ABF064290D.jpeg
DF33799E-3DCF-4E2F-931E-FC04F74ABF68.jpeg

I’m hoping to hook up with @RandallS for a ride in his hood soon depending on how the weather and ground conditions play out down there.
Weather is doing it's usual stuff.
Snow last night and really cold again. I rode on Sunday at +10C, it is -20C right now, and will be +6C on Friday and +12C again on Sunday. As such, trying to find the right day for a "local" ride with EBR mates could be difficult as you need to catch the temperatures just right when riding on Ice Spikers. They are fantastic on hard packed snow and ice, but are dangerous when things get too warm and you get surface mud.

I will add as well that the conditions on my local trail system, when they get muddy, are very clay rich. ISP's sometimes don't release the clay as fast as you need, and if you pick the wrong line, you are basically riding on slicks :eek:.

@Twin Valley , if you are up for a little drive north in the near future, you are welcome to help demonstrate the Specialized vs. Giant vs. Trek (another likely rider- non EBR) advantages/disadvantages.
But only if you are running studs - if not, we can do that later once the snow and ice are gone.
The terrain is pretty friendly (heck - I ride it!) - and with this snow, some of the more technical stuff is likely out anyways until the snow melts.

I rode 6 miles yesterday and 11 today in Western Illinois. Temp today peaked out at 51f but is suppose to drop rest of the day and get 6 to 12 inches of snow over the next 2 days. The roads were mostly clear but there were a few shaded areas where it was icy. Typical winter day pic, everything is gray and brown.
539F0C71-FCDF-48CA-B51E-FC8246555AEE.jpeg

Weather is doing it's usual stuff.
Snow last night and really cold again. I rode on Sunday at +10C, it is -20C right now, and will be +6C on Friday and +12C again on Sunday. As such, trying to find the right day for a "local" ride with EBR mates could be difficult as you need to catch the temperatures just right when riding on Ice Spikers. They are fantastic on hard packed snow and ice, but are dangerous when things get too warm and you get surface mud.

I will add as well that the conditions on my local trail system, when they get muddy, are very clay rich. ISP's sometimes don't release the clay as fast as you need, and if you pick the wrong line, you are basically riding on slicks :eek:.

@Twin Valley , if you are up for a little drive north in the near future, you are welcome to help demonstrate the Specialized vs. Giant vs. Trek (another likely rider- non EBR) advantages/disadvantages.
But only if you are running studs - if not, we can do that later once the snow and ice are gone.
The terrain is pretty friendly (heck - I ride it!) - and with this snow, some of the more technical stuff is likely out anyways until the snow melts.
hey Randall, thanks for thinking about me I definitely would like to ride your trails out on the Nose Hill area and with a brother who lives in Ranchlands I can combine two visits on the trip - no studs on tires for me as I ride mostly gravel roads by my house this time of year and climb west facing hills that lose their snow the quickest - mind you I am pretty wary of ice as I swear when a bike slips on ice you end up on the ground faster than if you slipped on your feet - and almost impossible to protect yourself on the way down - imo the best e-bike is one that is running as it should as I am on my second motor and electrical system issues in my 2 years on the specialized - I notice each company coming out with a much lighter mtn e-bike that are getting great reviews but with a much lower range on a battery charge and of course with a price tag that kind of takes your breath away - Bill

hey Randall, thanks for thinking about me I definitely would like to ride your trails out on the Nose Hill area and with a brother who lives in Ranchlands I can combine two visits on the trip - no studs on tires for me as I ride mostly gravel roads by my house this time of year and climb west facing hills that lose their snow the quickest - mind you I am pretty wary of ice as I swear when a bike slips on ice you end up on the ground faster than if you slipped on your feet - and almost impossible to protect yourself on the way down - imo the best e-bike is one that is running as it should as I am on my second motor and electrical system issues in my 2 years on the specialized - I notice each company coming out with a much lighter mtn e-bike that are getting great reviews but with a much lower range on a battery charge and of course with a price tag that kind of takes your breath away - Bill
No studs = limited places to ride.
Definitely not on Nose Hill right now!

Location, location…

Eastern Grey Kangaroo

Eastern Grey Kangaroo Macropus giganteus
Wacol, Brisbane
I met this female eastern grey kangaroo in the western Brisbane. Although I was travelling along a bike path, there was a busy motorway immediately behind me and, perhaps this was what was to the roo's liking, a perimeter paddock around a 'correctional centre' on the other side. Whatever its reason for being there, it had eyes and ears for no one except me.

Wacol, Brisbane : Ride with GPS

No prizes for guessing that the 'satellite' photo was taken during October: the jacarandas were in bloom.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel rather unwell. (No, I don't think it's covid). Still, I forced myself for an SL ride to collect new "100% waterproof" gloves from a parcel locker; and to buy more milk.

There is a huge logistics base located around the Moszna Smoke Stack. A bike path extends the whole way along the wall. There is a very dangerous point: a gate, through which lorries and cars constantly ride in and out. As I have learned to ride carefully, I always dramatically slow down there, especially as the wall makes the exit obscured.

And this! A woman trying to get into the entrance with her car and cornering at high speed. I would not viciously brake there. She managed to stop and... hoot at me!

Three loud words:
BIKE. PATH. HAG!

Next time, I would block such a driver and call for the police.

Last edited:
No studs = limited places to ride.
Definitely not on Nose Hill right now!
To illustrate:
20220126_135526.jpg

To climb that trail, a very careful choice of line and power was required - even with studded tires.
That particular section does allow you to ride on the sides but the section preceding this shot did not.

Btw - when no ice, a blast to descend, as you can typically see well in front of you for other park enthusiasts... including the 4 legged ones!

To illustrate:
View attachment 113287

To climb that trail, a very careful choice of line and power was required - even with studded tires.
That particular section does allow you to ride on the sides but the section preceding this shot did not.

Btw - when no ice, a blast to descend, as you can typically see well in front of you for other park enthusiasts... including the 4 legged ones!
Is that image indicative of what the conditions might currently look like? If so......👍

Last edited:
Only a short six mile ride out today while Mrs DG was at work…

Weather was overcast and the temperature was 10oC. Very little wind, so there was virtually no wind chill, which made it nice compared to the last few days.

The main purpose of the ride out today was to try my new Garmin Varia Radar and Radar Display Unit.
55E7F6BE-2D27-4C5F-BAFF-1417A532FAD3.jpeg
9CD4D090-E4A0-46AB-AF5F-666E282886D8.jpeg

My hearing is not that good, (wear hearing aids when out) and can’t turn my head round much following two frozen shoulders a number of years ago. Consequently, I can’t always hear the traffic approaching from behind, so use a bar end mirror which works well.

I was very impressed with this. It picked the vehicles up well before I could see them in the mirror. So it is another safety item to have on the bike in addition to looking over your shoulder and using the mirror. All in all, a worthwhile investment.

@DiggyGun -That dedicated display is well thought out compared to what shows up on my Garmin Edge which just shows a bunch of dots and alternating color alerts.

Garmin-Varia-Radar-Edge520-PassingCars-3.jpg

The mirror is another handy accessory to have as the Varia doesn’t distinguish motorized vehicles from other cyclists coming up behind you.

@DiggyGun -That dedicated display is well thought out compared to what shows up on my Garmin Edge which just shows a bunch of dots and alternating color alerts.

Yes, it’s a very tidy display. Neat and compact with clear notifications. Apparently. It has sound too, but I can’t hear that.

This is it working.

The flashing light is my blinking front light and nothing to do with the Varia.

Last edited:
This thread is a bad influence. I rode in 25 degree temperature to the grocery. Got an ice cream headache going both ways. Came home with a slab of carrot cake along with all healthy stuff, cuz from many posts on here, it is mandatory to eat or drink something decadent. My tummy is full and I will stay circumferentially challenged. But I am happy.

It looks like the groundhog will not see its shadow today. Nor will I.

This thread is a bad influence. I rode in 25 degree temperature to the grocery. Got an ice cream headache going both ways. Came home with a slab of carrot cake along with all healthy stuff, cuz from many posts on here, it is mandatory to eat or drink something decadent. My tummy is full and I will stay circumferentially challenged. But I am happy.
Another kind of eBike smile ...

It looks like the groundhog will not see its shadow today. Nor will I.
be careful, Stefan does not feel well today, I think it was the two desserts for lunch!

View attachment 113297

The mirror is another handy accessory to have as the Varia doesn’t distinguish motorized vehicles from other cyclists coming up behind you.
Or choo choo trains. There's a trail paralleling some railroad tracks. The train set off my Varia but I guess it is motorized. It can also pick up pedestrians. I have learned to appreciate it. Mine's got the light which will blink when something is approaching. So far, until the hearing get worse, I can hear the beeps on my Garmin 1030+ but could not hear them on the 1000.

Back