Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

Here’s a helpful link explaining the merits and deficiencies of both DOT and mineral oil.
Yes. ATF is not the DOT, okay? :) Of course it is not a recommendation to replace bike brake mineral oil with ATF, just a consideration.

Meanwhile, my Vado SL has recovered :) New Marathon Winter Plus tyre and a new inner tube, expertly mounted by Jacek. I had time to give a lot of attention to the chain (and to the drivetrain) during the holiday and I am ready for local rides again! :)

Last edited:
I would check with a qualified cycle mechanic (unless you are Chargeride and have a frankenbike) before messing with any type of brake fluid, brake failure is not something I would mess with...
@Chargeride How remiss of me, I fixed my original post! Please accept my apologies! ;) 3 in 1 oil takes me back 🤣 In your case that would be for your chain, your brakes and hydration... 😛

A cool mid-summer day: perfect for a long ride…

Nyon Display

Todays ride proved to be different. Checked the weather forecast and it was going to be dry for the next four hours with a temperature of 10oC, but with chill, around 5oC.

We both got togged up as Mrs DG was on a day off, started to get the bikes out and that‘s where stopped.

Mine had a flat rear tyre. Now, this is the first puncture on my Nevo3, which is belt driven. Never taken off the rear wheel before, so had no idea where to start. In the end decided to have a go with the wheel still on the bike.

Got the tools out and that’s where it slowed down. The bike is fitted with Schwalbe Johnny Watts, which were really hard to lever off. Eventually did it and got the tube out. Pumped up the tyre and found the puncture, No. 1: a piece of glass, removed that as it was still sticking through and patched the tube. Checked the inside of the tyre and found a large thorn sticking through. Pumped up the tyre and found another puncture, No. 2: removed the thorn and checked the tube again. Pumped up the tube again and still not inflating. To cut a long story short, found punctures Nos. 3 and 4: these were patched and the inside of the tyre checked again. No more sharp objects, so hopefully that is it.

Pumped up the tube again and this time it stays inflated. I’ve left it outside the tyre for now to make sure it stays up before putting it back in the tube. I think that punctures Nos. 1 and 2 were new as the offending causes were still there. I think that Nos. 3 and 4 were old ones which had been sealed by the sealant, but now that the tube was out become obvious.

l’ll put the tube back in later, leave it overnight and check it tomorrow. If OK and the weather is fine will venture out.

Hopefully, the patches will hold, as it also does have sealant in the tube. If not, I’ll have to take it back to the LBS to get them to change the tube.
473F0D01-3B6B-49F6-AAA9-A71DAD7B5DA3.jpeg

In the end decided to have a go with the wheel still on the bike.
You mean you rode on a flat tyre?!

Winter Scenery Ice Ride

I went for a ride (Vado SL) to replenish my pantry before the New Year's Eve :) It was -2 C, and it feels a mild temperature for me nowadays! Visited the small town of Podkowa Leśna, where I bought some good vittles in small stores as well as several cans and bottles of excellent strong IPAs and Imperial Stout. Then I rode quaint local roads towards the shopping mall...
1640812535839.png

It was very slippery today. If you stopped and planted your feet on the ground, your feet were slipping! And that's where I fully trusted Schwalbe Marathon Winter Plus tyres. The ride was smooth and safe!

1640812764057.png

Of course, I was riding rather slowly but I felt very secure!

I intend to make more grocery shopping rides still in this year. The weather is going to be warmer but wet!

You mean you rode on a flat tyre?!

Winter Scenery Ice Ride

I went for a ride (Vado SL) to replenish my pantry before the New Year's Eve :) It was -2 C, and it feels a mild temperature for me nowadays! Visited the small town of Podkowa Leśna, where I bought some good vittles in small stores as well as several cans and bottles of excellent strong IPAs and Imperial Stout. Then I rode quaint local roads towards the shopping mall...
View attachment 110501
It was very slippery today. If you stopped and planted your feet on the ground, your feet were slipping! And that's where I fully trusted Schwalbe Marathon Winter Plus tyres. The ride was smooth and safe!

View attachment 110502
Of course, I was riding rather slowly but I felt very secure!

I intend to make more grocery shopping rides still in this year. The weather is going to be warmer but wet!
How's your distance for the year coming, Stefan? Two more days!!!

A cool mid-summer day: perfect for a long ride…

View attachment 110475
Okay, I may be confused about "Down Under" but aren't you only about a week into Summer and not yet mid-summer? Or was this a mid-day ride in summer? :cool:

I could barely walk in the glare ice parking lot where I got my covid test this morning. The supermarket lot was just a tad bit better. I'm very cautious on icy surfaces having knocked myself unconscious in an icy bus stop in the Dolomites about two winters ago. That last day of cross-country skiing came to a crashing end!

Last edited:
How's your distance for the year coming, Stefan? Two more days!!!
Current stats, Pat :)
1640813686224.png

For all of you who know my brother Jacek from my stories, I need to announce he hit the 5000 km mark as of today. The point is, he got my Trance E+ only in June, and only then he really started riding! I expect he would beat my results in 2022!

Dragged out by the wife for a Christmas ride on the beach, I argued it would be packed and it was, but the grinch in me started to warm up watching toddlers slide down the sand dunes on sledges.
BB1.jpg

It turned into a sunset ride and I started getting all melancholy, the beach was packed, this was just further down where the once a yearers never stray,
BB2.jpg

There were thousands of crows feeding at the waters edge, I started to get the feeling they were mumbling 'here he is again'.
BB3.jpg

Salt water is highly corrosive, do not try this, said every person on the beach.
BB4.jpg

Little one playing the wood bells, how cute is that.
BB5.jpg

The wife has taken to photography with her new phone, as in selfie, vertical pics, every meal instagram, whatsapp, facebook sort of way.
BB6.jpg

The polite English nod...you have an ebike too, but I wont presume a friendship.
BB7.jpg

Teas has all but died in the UK, I blame the Yanks of course, I'm sure it will end in similar levels of cultural debauchery.
BB8.jpg

I did a couple of doughnuts and ended up with boobies.
BB9.jpg

Yes I did powerwash off the salt..and yes I am powerwashing the battery.
BB10.jpg

Great ride, two hours long, 11 miles, two lattes, one cake, got chased by three dogs, got told my tyres were perfect for the job 37 times.

It was actually warm.

10 points for the first to point out the dangerous omission on the bike.

Yes I did powerwash off the salt..and yes I am powerwashing the battery.
Let us summarize:
  • Riding into the brine
  • Powerwashing the bike and especially the battery
  • 3-in-One Household Oil for everything.
Only Chargeride can do it! :D

10 points for the first to point out the dangerous omission on the bike.
No rear-view mirror.

Last edited:
Dragged out by the wife for a Christmas ride on the beach, I argued it would be packed and it was, but the grinch in me started to warm up watching toddlers slide down the sand dunes on sledges.
BB1.jpg

It turned into a sunset ride and I started getting all melancholy, the beach was packed, this was just further down where the once a yearers never stray,
BB2.jpg

There were thousands of crows feeding at the waters edge, I started to get the feeling they were mumbling 'here he is again'.
BB3.jpg

Salt water is highly corrosive, do not try this, said every person on the beach.
BB4.jpg

Little one playing the wood bells, how cute is that.
BB5.jpg

The wife has taken to photography with her new phone, as in selfie, vertical pics, every meal instagram, whatsapp, facebook sort of way.
BB6.jpg

BB7.jpg

Teas has all but died in the UK, I blame the Yanks of course, I'm sure it will end in similar levels of cultural debauchery.

I hardily agree…I often embarrass my friends by drinking tea (lemon no sugar) rather than their coffee. I am trying to be more like the civilized Brits by reading Doyle, wearing a Deerstalker and smoking a pipe. But with Boris on the stage I’m reconsidering

Current stats, Pat :)
View attachment 110503

For all of you who know my brother Jacek from my stories, I need to announce he hit the 5000 km mark as of today. The point is, he got my Trance E+ only in June, and only then he really started riding! I expect he would beat my results in 2022!
Way to go, Stefan 👏🎇🤩🎉🌟😍👏!!! Cheers to Jacek, too!

Back