Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

An inquisitive mob (mainly)…

Brisbane Valley Rail Trail, Leschke Farm, Wanora

Brisbane Valley Rail Trail
Leschke Farm, Wanora

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 108875

The recent weather had me briefly pondering whether or not I would ride this morning as the rain that we received last night coated the roads which in turn transformed them into slippery sheets of ice. Then it began to snow this morning which further complicated matters as I likely wouldn't be able to see the slick roots hidden beneath cover along the trails. I didn't hesitate long before I realized that my trusty studded tires should get me through practically anything....well almost.

This section of wooded single track inside Heritage Ranch was transformed into a virtual wintry wonderland as a result of the snowfall. Several fat bikers had already made their presence known as evidenced by their tracks along the trail.

View attachment 108876

It was much warmer today and unlike @Stefan Mikes, I didn’t bother to wear my heated insoles. However, the -10 windchill still had me reaching for my heated glove liners before I left on my ride. Unusual as it was, the sun didn’t bother making much of an appearance today but that didn’t matter to me as the ambient temperature was quite tolerable and the wind remained mostly calm inside the treed trails.

View attachment 108877

I rode a double loop along the Heritage Ranch trails and then pushed off to the north end of town, only stopping to take a few photos of the partially frozen river before completing my ride up at the Pines and heading for home.

View attachment 108879

View attachment 108880

View attachment 108881
View attachment 108882

View attachment 108883
View attachment 108884
love that second pic down.

wheres our snow!!!

Last edited:
10 years of riding with a GPS!

I was hoping to get out today but there is black ice everywhere so not worth the risk! Tomorrow is a possibility with varying forecasts so I will wait and see what its like in the morning! I just realised its almost 10 years since I first purchased a GPS, my first ride with the GPS was on 11th December 2011 so here are the stats from that ride and my stats for the 10 years!

In 2012 I completed 14 imperial centuries and my average mileage was just over 72 from 74 rides that year, it really was a year to remember! 2013 started well but my dad suffered a stroke at the age of 85 in March that year so my rides were curtailed, 51 rides with an average of around 65! In 2014 I had my own health issues and only covered 910 miles followed by 1551miles the following year as my strength never returned! In 2016 I had another health setback and only managed 996 miles, followed by 1426 miles in 2017!

On to 2018 and I was still struggling, in March I decided to treat myself to a Giant Road E+1 Pro for my 60th birthday! I finally got my mojo back and had an awesome year with 3270 miles covered from 58 rides, an average of 56 miles! It really changed my life and my fitness returned, it felt like a new lease of life! In 2019 I covered 3899 miles from 69 rides with an average of just over 56 miles!

In 2020 along came the pandemic and I was furloughed from work, thankfully we were allowed to go out for exercise so I made the most of it with a total of 6223 miles from 151 rides with an average of just over 41 miles! This year my dad's health has deteriorated so I have been forced to cut down, still managing 4843 miles so far from 113 rides with an average of almost 43 miles! Hopefully I can get to 5000 miles before the year end, I just need the weather to play ball...what an amazing few years I have had with this amazing e bike! 😁

1639045718366.png

Screenshot_20211209-102039_Ride with GPS.jpg

Eventually it rained…

Yesterday it poured with rain and I was soaked; so, today, l stayed close to home and departed moderately early (after tea, then porridge and, finally, a first of many coffees*). I need not have bothered as the clouds – below seen hanging over the Great Dividing Range – took all day to work themselves into a frenzy of lightning and thunder.
* Photo taken after a mid-ride break at 40 km for hot chocolate and Ouma rusk (another 'addiction').​

Fairney View, Brisbane Hinterland

8:45 am; 43 km
Looking towards the Great Dividing Range

Fairney View, Brisbane Hinterland

Learning new things on every single day!
P.S. I didn't know Zwieback was called 'rusk' in English!
Except that it keeps its original name in the US!!! I've eaten Zwieback but never eaten Rusk!

Although, I fear, that if I asked for it now, I would get questioning looks. Just like I did many years ago when I arrived in Seattle and asked in a big market for BAGELS. I got this odd look. I had to explain that they were bready donuts!!!! No, I kid you not. Oh, how times change.

I was hoping to get out today but there is black ice everywhere so not worth the risk! Tomorrow is a possibility with varying forecasts so I will wait and see what its like in the morning! I just realised its almost 10 years since I first purchased a GPS, my first ride with the GPS was on 11th December 2011 so here are the stats from that ride and my stats for the 10 years!

In 2012 I completed 14 imperial centuries and my average mileage was just over 72 from 74 rides that year, it really was a year to remember! 2013 started well but my dad suffered a stroke at the age of 85 in March that year so my rides were curtailed, 51 rides with an average of around 65! In 2014 I had my own health issues and only covered 910 miles followed by 1551miles the following year as my strength never returned! In 2016 I had another health setback and only managed 996 miles, followed by 1426 miles in 2017!

On to 2018 and I was still struggling, in March I decided to treat myself to a Giant Road E+1 Pro for my 60th birthday! I finally got my mojo back and had an awesome year with 3270 miles covered from 58 rides, an average of 56 miles! It really changed my life and my fitness returned, it felt like a new lease of life! In 2019 I covered 3899 miles from 69 rides with an average of just over 56 miles!

In 2020 along came the pandemic and I was furloughed from work, thankfully we were allowed to go out for exercise so I made the most of it with a total of 6223 miles from 151 rides with an average of just over 41 miles! This year my dad's health has deteriorated so I have been forced to cut down, still managing 4843 miles so far from 113 rides with an average of almost 43 miles! Hopefully I can get to 5000 miles before the year end, I just need the weather to play ball...what an amazing few years I have had with this amazing e bike! 😁

View attachment 108909

View attachment 108910
Wow, that’s still some distance that you’ve manage to log this year. I would be lucky enough to reach just over half that total. Perhaps our winters might have something to do with that. ;) You, @Stefan Mikes, @David Berry, @Latitude have reached some epic milestones both current and past. Well done fellas! 👍

love that second pic down.

wheres our snow!!!
I’m sure you’ll get yours given time. The landscape here is usually covered in snow by now but there are front yards that are still fully exposed. Come February we’ll be groaning about how long the spring thaw is taking. :rolleyes:

In the meantime, it was warm enough where I could actually get the camera to work without it turning into an ice cube. Still not up to par with your beach side vids!

View attachment 108909

View attachment 108910
and zero calories, scotsman run on mist.

I’m sure you’ll get yours given time. The landscape here is usually covered in snow by now but there are front yards that are still fully exposed. Come February we’ll be groaning about how long the spring thaw is taking. :rolleyes:

In the meantime, it was warm enough where I could actually get the camera to work without it turning into an ice cube. Still not up to par with your beach side vids!

checked the vid, all seems OK, no paw prints.

Wow, that’s still some distance that you’ve manage to log this year. I would be lucky enough to reach just over half that total. Perhaps our winters might have something to do with that. ;) You, @Stefan Mikes, @David Berry, @Latitude have reached some epic milestones both current and past. Well done fellas! 👍
Considering a lot of your rides are on trails you are doing pretty well yourself, especially in your climate! 👍
and zero calories, scotsman run on mist.
You have heard of Scotch mist? ;)

I have never liked Strava; it doesn't appeal to me!
Ditto.

Strava is like my Apple Watch which insists that certain features – Breathe (whatever that is) on the Watch; Segments on Strava – are so good for me that I must be prohibited from opting out of having them.

Did a little over 25 miles today, got up to about 57 degrees F. This would probably be at least 25 degrees above the average. The pic is a small bridge about 8 miles south of where i live. The only bad was a 15 mph wind.

D9989A03-F41D-49C5-A2F3-8F477842D2D5.jpeg
36DEEBBC-72AA-45CC-B4DC-B2947F943A39.jpeg

Back