Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

A... Sunday

"Pewna niedziela..." was the name given to our gravel group ride by Michał J, Przemek the Gravelman's riding buddy who joined us for this Sunday. We started early (8 a.m.) from Grodzisk Mazowiecki, so I had to get up at six. I was cursing Przemek for his early start until we started riding: All worries are over when you begin pedalling! I chose my "gravelized" Vado SL with Range Extender for the ride. The e-bike is derestricted, and I knew I had to pedal hard to match my mates on asphalt, especially with tailwind! My chosen Assist Mode was 70/70% (SL) and that was appropriate for that ride. Occasionally, I helped myself match my buddies' performance with bursts of Turbo.

It was cold (8 C at the beginning with 7 C at the ride end), cloudy, and windy. To surprise of all of us, we didn't feel the day as very cold, and magically even the headwind didn't seem nasty (although it was strong!)

View attachment 107490
A short stop in Krakowiany (I asked for it). At some point of the trip, Michał led us into the woods, cross-country style! It meant some fun, even if that short segment felt tiresome.

At some place, my buddies were discussing whether we should enter an off-road segment. I asked them not to do it. Later, Przemek commented: "If you agreed, you would not be that happy post-ride!" :D

View attachment 107491
At a public playground in Skuły. As you can see, none of us had enough of pedalling! :D

View attachment 107492
And a group photo. I liked the playground: It even had a decent toilet!

View attachment 107493
Almost post-ride, at "Winogrono" (The Grape) restaurant in Grodzisk Mazowiecki. We got some cheesecake with red currants. Delicious!

View attachment 107494
I was very proud of my Vado SL that proved to be an excellent gravel e-bike after some mods* have been done to it. The greatest compliment were these words of Przemek: "And Stefan was eating kilometres like a young man!" :)

---------------
*) "Gravelize" Vado SL:
  • Full Redshift ShockStop system (front & rear)
  • Lowering the stem as much as possible
  • Slamming the stem -6 deg
  • Adding SQlab Innerbarends 411 (these mimic hoods of drop handlebars)
  • Replacing tyres with Schwalbe Smart Sam.
It would be the best to remove the mudguards/fenders, especially the front one.
Sounds like you had a great ride and a bit of fun. Prawdziwa frajda!

The dog's perception of the bike is pretty clear...
Dog: "Where's the hubcap?" :)

Chinese hubcap protection: :eek:

P1030523.JPG

P1030524.JPG

loads of friends.

must be a Stefan post
I cannot resist making a comment on that. There's nothing better than riding together with friends. David must know that the best as he's regularly riding with his Tyred Old People!

I was actually not fond of large organized group rides: You are alone in the sea of riders who you do not know. On contrary, riding in a small friendly group is so good I actually started liking gravel cycling: Perhaps not for the cycling type itself but for people.
  • They make you get up and start riding very early
  • Someone leads the group, so you can concentrate on the pleasures of cycling (unless you are the group leader yourself!)
  • The group dictates the tempo, and there are fewer stops on the ride
  • You can talk with other people on the ride and during the stops
  • They will never leave you alone. If any of group members experiences a technical or physical issue, other group members are there to help
  • And you typically get some photos of yourself! :D
People in my groups accept me riding e-bikes. They often dream of owning an e-bike, only they either cannot afford it or feel to be too young for an e-bike. One of my favourite boredom-breakers is demonstrating the capabilities of an e-bike to other group members. I switch to the Turbo mode, adjust the gears and suddenly my buddies are left in the dust! :D On the latest ride, Michał and Przemek sped up on asphalt to 35 km/h. As I was taking them over, I merrily shouted: "That is just unacceptable! Shame on you guys to ride that fast!" -- and I got at 40 km/h. On a Vado SL! :) To which Michał responded with a sprint! Of course, he was faster than I :)

Both Przemek and Michał tried riding my Vado SL. Michał's comment was: "I could not own it. One gets used to good things too fast. If I bought an e-bike, I couldn't return to traditional bikes!"
Przemek: "When I could hear the buzz of your motor, I thought I had a motor in my bike as well; it made me ride faster!" :D

Last edited:
The ride out today was a nice circular route around the North Buckinghamshire countryside.

Although it was dry and sunny, it was very chilly. Temperature was around 3oC, but the wind chill took it down to around 1oC.

Had to put more layers on to stop the chill coming through, including putting the Snood on for the first time this year.

It was nice to see a 50th Anniversary edition of the Land Rover Defender, complete with a colour coordinated cottage.

C1D8FE4B-21B6-4682-9FDB-F95D2338CE0C.jpeg
42001FD8-AA45-4B45-BC27-2C447F78F321.jpeg
E3BABCD3-9B53-4C3C-8E2F-3BFA964F4622.jpeg
47F81BF5-2283-4964-8759-B9E7B46498AC.jpeg
074EC81D-E414-42B8-B598-F0D99CA8587E.jpeg

The ride out today was a nice circular route around the North Buckinghamshire countryside.

Although it was dry and sunny, it was very chilly. Temperature was around 3oC, but the wind chill took it down to around 1oC.

Had to put more layers on to stop the chill coming through, including putting the Snood on for the first time this year.

It was nice to see a 50th Anniversary edition of the Land Rover Defender, complete with a colour coordinated cottage.

View attachment 107583View attachment 107584View attachment 107588View attachment 107587View attachment 107589
The owner of that LR in the last image must have a fondness for that shade of green. :cool:

Web capture_22-11-2021_21942_ridewithgps.com.jpeg

It was a pleasant +12 C as Kelvin and I hit the trails today. The lack of snow was clearly evident everywhere we rode and there doesn’t appear to be any drastic change in the forecast next week. I’m lovin’ this latest warming trend but it sure would be nice to hear that familiar crunch of ice and snow beneath our tires.

GH011247_Moment4.jpg

GH011247_Moment5.jpg

He may look cute and fluffy but.....This woman was doing her best in holding her pet at bay.

GH011249_Moment1.jpg

GH011249_Moment2.jpg

GH011251_Moment3.jpg

I could literally hear the studs ripping out of their holes on this run. Final stud casualty count at the end of the ride was a total of 6 which was far less than I expected. 😥

GH011252_Moment6.jpg

@ Prairie Dog
I could literally hear the studs ripping out of their holes on this run. Final stud casualty count at the end of the ride was a total of 6 which was far less than I expected.

Not familiar with studded tyres. Can you replace the studs that you lose?

@ Prairie Dog
I could literally hear the studs ripping out of their holes on this run. Final stud casualty count at the end of the ride was a total of 6 which was far less than I expected.

(Yes you can replace the studs). Diggy, do you ever experience snow & ice in England? :)
It has started snowing here!

(Yes you can replace the studs). Diggy, do you ever experience snow & ice in England? :)
It has started snowing here!
Yes we do. Usually once or twice a year, maybe lasts for a few days to a week or so.

Then the whole country grinds to a halt; cars can’t go anywhere because the only the main truck roads get gritted, the smaller lanes in the villages don’t. Trains slip on the tracks. You see a lot of abandoned expensive front wheel drive cars, usually BMWs. So much for the “ultimate driving machine” as per their advert.

Our main problem is that the local Councils don’t want to spend money on equipment and salt, that may or may not be used. Consequently, we’re just not prepared for it and then chaos.

At the moment, the temperature is 0oC and tomorrow’s forecast is -1oC, but no gritters have been out.

Yes we do. Usually once or twice a year, maybe lasts for a few days to a week or so.

Then the whole country grinds to a halt; cars can’t go anywhere because the only the main truck roads get gritted, the smaller lanes in the villages don’t. Trains slip on the tracks. You see a lot of abandoned expensive front wheel drive cars, usually BMWs. So much for the “ultimate driving machine” as per their advert.

Our main problem is that the local Councils don’t want to spend money on equipment and salt, that may or may not be used. Consequently, we’re just not prepared for it and then chaos.

At the moment, the temperature is 0oC and tomorrow’s forecast is -1oC, but no gritters have been out.
Very interesting! I didn't know about it!

Meanwhile, first snow flakes fell outside my window. There has been a real snowfall in Podlasie, which is our NE "winter country". I need a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Winter Plus 35-622 for my Vado SL. Guess what? I have bought two last tyres of that kind available in Poland online, each from another online store! I also had a look at the availability in German stores: Nothing to be got. I'm lucky again...

Not that I trust narrow spiked tyres very much. It was a wonderful time when I could ride my Trance E+ on Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro 27.5 x 2.6"... (Now my brother would ride them). Nothing helps for deep snow but wide spiked tyres hold on ice as it were dry asphalt!

Just a reminiscence from the last Winter:
17th of January 2021. The blizzard had just started building up when I was filming it. After several minutes, the road got covered with deep snow. The ride back home was dangerous...

P.S. More recollections:
1637654688742.png

19th of February 2021. Several days before, I rode into black ice and dramatically and painfully fell with my Trance. I ordered Ice Spiker Pro instantly afterwards. After installing the wide spiked tyres I rode out to the streets of Podkowa Leśna under black ice conditions. Sanding didn't help: Pedestrians were staggering, the cars were slipping. My Trance was riding as if nothing wrong was happening, with beautiful "singing" of the spikes. Actually, I was giving way to the cars, as I was afraid one of them could hit me in case of slipping!

Last edited:
Intruding on their patch…

Wanora, Brisbane Hinterland

Wanora, Brisbane Hinterland
I stopped to snap an early morning photo of the Homage but, hoping for an image giving the impression that I was travelling through some bucolic landscape, I stumbled down the slope next to the country road, only to disturb a pair of Black-shouldered Masked Lapwings (Vanellus miles novaehollandiae).

They were not welcoming, one approaching menacingly displaying its spur-wings and crying Keer-kick-ki-ki-ki! which I interpreted as an instruction to be on my way.

Nice to meet you, too.

Black-shouldered Masked Lapwing

Black-shouldered Masked Lapwing
aka Spur-winged Plover

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Prairie Dog

As @Stefan Mikes pointed out, easily accomplished with the right tool. Simply place the carbide tip end of the stud into the tool and twist the flat/blunt end into the hole until it seats itself.
IMG_20210103_1609066.jpgIMG_20210103_1610079.jpg
Almost lost this one as it sits lopsided and barely wedged inside the hole. I should have pre-bedded each individual stud with the insertion tool like I did at the start of last year’s winter biking season.
IMG_20211123_1639396.jpg

This is what it looked like around here last November.
IMG_20201115_1147375.jpgIMG_20201115_1149006.jpg

Last edited:
1637675967057.png

Like @Prairie Dog our weather was milder today (only 6C but way warmer than Sunday) so I was able to use my back roads again! It was a bit murky so not the best photos today, at least the sun was shining over the Firth of Forth!

1637676116240.png

1637676167289.png

The roads were still very damp after yesterdays rain but at least there wasn't any ice to worry about! I always look forward to this descent which twists and turns all the way down with some nice straights to get some speed up, near the bottom you always have to be careful though as there's almost always loose gravel strewn across the road!

1637676291693.png

The Highland cattle were enjoying lunch as I passed, their big fur coats will come in handy soon when the snow hits and the temps dip below zero! ;) Unlike England we get proper snow!😛 Our councils are still rubbish at snow clearing though...

1637676648602.png

I enjoyed getting out today and had a real blast on the quiet back roads, soon it will be main roads only but at least I can get out year round unlike some of you who have to hunker down for the winter, you really have my sympathy! @DiggyGun My next door neighbour had a BMW 3 series (just to correct you, they are RWD and awful in snowy conditions) until the heavy snow arrived last year, he quickly sold it for a Mazda FWD!;) Living at the top of a hill at 550ft above sea level you need a car that can perform in the snow and ice, my Toyota FWD with its all season tyres works a treat!

Attachments

• elevation_profile14.jpg
    elevation_profile14.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 135
  • trip-78949853-map-full14.png
    trip-78949853-map-full14.png
    421.6 KB · Views: 174
  • 20211123_101815.jpg
    20211123_101815.jpg
    577.5 KB · Views: 161
  • 20211123_101830.jpg
    20211123_101830.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 149
  • 20211123_101832.jpg
    20211123_101832.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 146
  • 20211123_101836.jpg
    20211123_101836.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 20211123_101845.jpg
    20211123_101845.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 140
  • 20211123_101907.jpg
    20211123_101907.jpg
    611.2 KB · Views: 164
  • 20211123_103534.jpg
    20211123_103534.jpg
    700.1 KB · Views: 156
  • 20211123_104437.jpg
    20211123_104437.jpg
    705.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 20211123_104557.jpg
    20211123_104557.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 145
"I Announce The Cycling Season Is Over"
was what @Jerzy Bańkowski wrote on his FB today. To which, I replied "The 2021/2022 Cycling Season Has Just Started!" :D

I had the first "winter" ride as of today: 8 km for some grocery shopping. It was 3 C, strong wind, raining. I'm dedicated to ride all year long (perhaps not during heavy snowfall and severe frost). I need to hit the 10,000 km figure this year! (Have ridden for 9,470 km so far).

"I Announce The Cycling Season Is Over"
was what @Jerzy Bańkowski wrote on his FB today. To which, I replied "The 2021/2022 Cycling Season Has Just Started!" :D

I had the first "winter" ride as of today: 8 km for some grocery shopping. It was 3 C, strong wind, raining. I'm dedicated to ride all year long (perhaps not during heavy snowfall and severe frost). I need to hit the 10,000 km figure this year! (Have ridden for 9,470 km so far).
You're going to make it, Stefan 👏📣👏📣!

Back