Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

I am sure that you realize that it does take some riding to be comfortable on the new geometry and drop bars and being stiff is part of that.

Give it another go!

Creo, Creo, Creo.......
He did leave me wondering despite his long-winded denials. ;)

‘I posted before the report was ready. Not buying a Creo!’

Will I buy a Creo?
Probably not.

‘I might consider a Creo as a gravel e-bike though.’

Still not much riding for me lately between work and the weather (although we've been pretty lucky compared our northern neighbors). Still, I'm grateful that even an urban commute here offers special moments like today.

The sky was lit up orange when I escaped work, so I pedaled over to the aptly named Sunset Hill Park just in time to catch the tail end of the show. I could literally feel my work stress fading away with that last of the light.
PXL_20211121_004737759.jpg

heres the vid if the bar snap, unfortunately I wasn't filming at that point.
typical ..film loads of boring stuff and miss the crash.
the ride back to the van looks hilarious.
You just turned a "walk of shame " into a "victory lap".
Edit @David Berry ... check the post count. Remember wondering if we'd break 4000 for the year ...

Last edited:
Road E-Cycling Adventures
  • Specialized Turbo Creo SL Demo Ride
  • Góra Kawiarnia Grand Opening

It has all started with the Specialized Gravel Set-To, which was a humorous name given to a gravel-cycling group ride organized and led by Krzysztof, the Specialized Warsaw Brand Store manager. Anyone with means to potentially buy a Specialized gravel bike could make a free booking for a bike and participate; anyone else could join the group ride on their own bike, too. To my surprise, the first person I met at the Brand Store parking lot was Staszek the Roadie! (I didn't know he owned a Specialized road bike in addition to his other rides!) Staszek told me how to operate the shifter/brake combo on a road bike, so I was ready to take the plunge.

The guys at Specialized had been ready to equip my demo Creo SL E5 with gravel tyres. I, however, was painfully aware neither my bad legs nor the 25 km/h restricted e-bike would make me a good part of the group ride. Therefore, I had asked the Spec guys to leave road tyres on the Creo, as I just wanted to do a solo ride to Góra Kalwaria by roads. Needless to say, Specialized Warsaw didn't charge me for the Creo rental anyway.

Saddle height expertly adjusted to my 72 cm, tyres inflated, and off could I ride. I only mounted my Wahoo on the bars, to discover with pleasure the ELEMNT Roam could connect to the Creo on the first attempt! So I had a perfect display on the road e-bike. (I could neither connect Mission Control nor BLEvo as I didn't know the PIN though).

View attachment 107377

The e-bike was gorgeous, and technically perfect. Shifting worked as a dream, braking was adequate, no creaking, silent ride, and even the motor was inaudible, taken into account I was riding with strong tailwind. As I am an owner of a Vado SL, Creo SL had no mysteries for me on the e-bike side. I was perfectly aware I needed to operate the TCU controller/display on the top tube and that was everything I needed to know. (You do not change the Assist Level on a road e-bike often). I was missing a rear-view mirror badly though!

You could ask about the compliance of the aluminium Creo: It was just fantastic! The FutureShock 1.5 suspension stem worked as a dream, and the carbon fibre seatpost damped the road vibration ideally! I met a short segment of a road under reconstruction and even there I could feel OK, which is a positive message, as the Creo just had 28 mm road tyres installed.

View attachment 107385
In Cieciszew, a popular stop on the Warsaw - Góra Kalwaria route (there is a grocery store very popular among cyclists there). I spoke with two younger roadies (a Specialized and a Cannondale riders) who told me they were attracted to e-bikes. One of them could try the 45 km/h Specialized Turbo Vado and was delighted about it. Their comment was Specialized SL e-bikes were extremely elegant and stealthy. The other guy was disgusted with a Focus e-bike he tried because of the massive bottom tube of that e-bike. (They rode off before me but we met again in Góra Kalwaria later).

Climbing
There is a single nasty climb just before Góra Kalwaria. I could make it in Turbo mode and the lowest gear but it was hard. I could certainly not ride the Creo in real mountains because of the state of my health. On the other hand, I could hit 44 km/h downhill on that segment, not pedalling whatsoever.

View attachment 107384

Góra Kawiarnia, a cyclist oriented cafe in Góra Kalwaria has moved and reopened with a grand ceremony on that day! As a Warsaw roadie mecca, it attracted crowds on that 10 C, sunny but windy day! There was a peleton after peleton arriving to the cafe! I cut my piece of ribbon and received a paper bag with several nice gifts at the door! (Good I had a backpack on me).

View attachment 107387
The new Góra Kawiarnia is large and beautiful!

View attachment 107388
Part of the interior is occupied by a new LBS that carries Ridley and Bianchi brands.

View attachment 107389
A traditional cookie for the good start of the Mt. Cafe!

View attachment 107390
Some details of the Creo SL E5. You get the impression your money have been well spent on that e-bike. The e-bike does not feel cheap; it is a quality e-bike even with stock parts.

View attachment 107391
At a private airfield. That photo was taken by a friendly motor-biker who also stopped to watch the airplane.

Riding Upwind
That was the biggest strength of the road e-bike. While I rode in Sport mode downwind, I used full Turbo upwind. And I rode in the drops when the headwind was becoming too nasty! The ride was fantastic! No comparison to a flat handlebar e-bike! Taken into account the wind speed of 28 km/h, my average speed of 23.3 km/h was really good! (Bear in mind, it is a 25 km/h e-bike in Europe).

Will I buy a Creo?
Probably not.
  • The road bike riding position is not for me. I returned stiff from fatigue.
  • The 25 km/h speed restriction makes the Creo a choice for a fit rider who can pedal at speed without any assistance. I'm not such a person.
I might consider a Creo as a gravel e-bike though.

Bottom Line
The Creo demo ride has taught me to cherish my Vado SL that is a similar e-bike but keeping me within my comfort zone!

View attachment 107392
Ride map and metrics.

(Dedicated to @kahn, @mschwett, and @Nxkharra) :)
That is a gorgeous bike and I relate to the serenity of a creak free, silent braking new bike.
you get used to..well I get used to a rattling, squeaking, groaning steed with some part always out of adjustment.
When you ride something properly constructed and assembled, its always a pleasure.
The cafe looks fantastic and I'll have to say theres nothing like that in my neck of the woods, the roadies around here are more your egg butties in silver foil and thermos flask.

Youve gone and proven me wrong by pulling off the goggles on a road bike.

The cafe looks fantastic and I'll have to say theres nothing like that in my neck of the woods, the roadies around here are more your egg butties in silver foil and thermos flask.
Yeah, but you always seem to have a nose when it comes to sourcing out decent pasties. They probably taste better munching on them in your van than in a stuffy café. Damn that avocado toast, eh?

Roadies dont let on to mtbers and visa versa, in the UK.
Neither would know what to do with you
Poland is not any different in that matter :) We e-bikers are of different breed, and we can act as we please :)
Besides, I think of most of roadies as of snobbish aristocracy*. Not that there are no exceptions to the rule :D
-------------
*) There are lords, vassals and domestiques in the peloton!

1637500063903.png

I woke to a bitterly cold but beautiful morning, it meant I had to stick to the main roads so I chose a simple and safe route! I was amazed to see some cyclists riding on the cycle paths as they were treacherous! Its hard to see here but the pavement is covered in ice!

1637500399888.png

The sheep were enjoying the sun I think! ;)

1637500586077.png

Nice view of the Campsie Hills which I cycled over last Sunday, not a chance of going near those hills today!

1637500741779.png

1637500809855.png

It wasn't a day for a longer ride so I kept it short, there was a bitterly cold wind blowing from the north! I was just glad to get out again and enjoy some lovely fresh air and it sure was fresh!;) Thankfully the main roads were pretty quiet, I just love Sunday cycling!:D

Attachments

• elevation_profile13.jpg
    elevation_profile13.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 152
  • trip-78856979-map-full13.png
    trip-78856979-map-full13.png
    421.3 KB · Views: 161
  • 20211121_091309.jpg
    20211121_091309.jpg
    664.7 KB · Views: 153
  • 20211121_091342.jpg
    20211121_091342.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 160
  • 20211121_091352.jpg
    20211121_091352.jpg
    627.9 KB · Views: 159
  • 20211121_093025.jpg
    20211121_093025.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 20211121_093034.jpg
    20211121_093034.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 156
  • 20211121_093037.jpg
    20211121_093037.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 157
  • 20211121_093143.jpg
    20211121_093143.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 151
  • 20211121_101149.jpg
    20211121_101149.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 153
  • 20211121_101153.jpg
    20211121_101153.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 168
  • 20211121_101213.jpg
    20211121_101213.jpg
    628.3 KB · Views: 156
  • 20211121_101240.jpg
    20211121_101240.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 153
  • 20211121_101245.jpg
    20211121_101245.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 153
  • 20211121_101248.jpg
    20211121_101248.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 156
Still not much riding for me lately between work and the weather (although we've been pretty lucky compared our northern neighbors). Still, I'm grateful that even an urban commute here offers special moments like today.

The sky was lit up orange when I escaped work, so I pedaled over to the aptly named Sunset Hill Park just in time to catch the tail end of the show. I could literally feel my work stress fading away with that last of the light.
View attachment 107416

Nice shot.

I've been there on three of the last four bike rides including yesterday's 16 miler. But I'm generally there earlier in the day. See post 4172.

A... Sunday

"Pewna niedziela..." was the name given to our gravel group ride by Michał J, Przemek the Gravelman's riding buddy who joined us for this Sunday. We started early (8 a.m.) from Grodzisk Mazowiecki, so I had to get up at six. I was cursing Przemek for his early start until we started riding: All worries are over when you begin pedalling! I chose my "gravelized" Vado SL with Range Extender for the ride. The e-bike is derestricted, and I knew I had to pedal hard to match my mates on asphalt, especially with tailwind! My chosen Assist Mode was 70/70% (SL) and that was appropriate for that ride. Occasionally, I helped myself match my buddies' performance with bursts of Turbo.

It was cold (8 C at the beginning with 7 C at the ride end), cloudy, and windy. To surprise of all of us, we didn't feel the day as very cold, and magically even the headwind didn't seem nasty (although it was strong!)

Pewna niedziela (1 of 4).jpg

A short stop in Krakowiany (I asked for it). At some point of the trip, Michał led us into the woods, cross-country style! It meant some fun, even if that short segment felt tiresome.

At some place, my buddies were discussing whether we should enter an off-road segment. I asked them not to do it. Later, Przemek commented: "If you agreed, you would not be that happy post-ride!" :D

Pewna niedziela (2 of 4).jpg

At a public playground in Skuły. As you can see, none of us had enough of pedalling! :D

Pewna niedziela (3 of 4).jpg

And a group photo. I liked the playground: It even had a decent toilet!

Pewna niedziela (4 of 4).jpg

Almost post-ride, at "Winogrono" (The Grape) restaurant in Grodzisk Mazowiecki. We got some cheesecake with red currants. Delicious!

Ride Map.jpg

I was very proud of my Vado SL that proved to be an excellent gravel e-bike after some mods* have been done to it. The greatest compliment were these words of Przemek: "And Stefan was eating kilometres like a young man!" :)

---------------
*) "Gravelize" Vado SL:
  • Full Redshift ShockStop system (front & rear)
  • Lowering the stem as much as possible
  • Slamming the stem -6 deg
  • Adding SQlab Innerbarends 411 (these mimic hoods of drop handlebars)
  • Replacing tyres with Schwalbe Smart Sam.
It would be the best to remove the mudguards/fenders, especially the front one.

Surf's up?

Redcliffe Beach, Moreton Bay

Redcliffe Beach
Moreton Bay Cycleway
There are a few places – like the almost inaccessible far sides of the islands sheltering Moreton Bay – where the Pacific's swells roll in, but for the most part Brisbane is a city by the sea without ocean beaches. You have to go elsewhere if surfing is your 'thing'; but I'm not complaining as one of my regular cycleways runs right on the protected shoreline.

Scarborough Beach, Redcliffe Peninsula

Scarborough Beach
Moreton Bay Cycleway

And, because there aren't too many photos to share, let's zoom-in to find out what's going on between Beauty and the Beast:

Scarborough Beach, Redcliffe Peninsula

What else?
  • Red sand (because this is the Redcliffe Peninsula, or should that be the other way round).
  • Tidemark of seagrass to mark where the sea had been ninety minutes before.
  • Temperature 23ºC (7:55 am; lower pic); 25ºC (10:45 am; above).
  • Sea 24ºC (day & night).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back