Okay, talk me out of cancelling my CCS order

OK. Howsosumever ;), I really enjoy to pedal my bicycle on the carpet-smooth roads here, and when I do, I want it to roll as nicely as possible for the fewest organic Watts expended. SO, I use a moderately narrow 38 (or is 38 wide?) tire designed for relatively low rolling resistance and I pump that tire up hard, 100PSI, risking failure maybe, because it is rated for 87PSI max. But it helps me enjoy pedaling that which, despite its weight, still feels like a bike and a sleek one in its way, at that.

https://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/gear/article/best-performance-road-tires-lab-tested-49101/

Carpet smooth roads is a key condition. Real world potholes, of course, highlight a real drawback of hard tires.
@Reid I tried running my Marathon Plus tires at the maximum listed pressure. On new asphalt it was fine. Anything else was a bit unpleasant. Not bone-jarring, but more bumpy than I care for. Dropped it down 10psi with no real change in ease of pedaling but it is a cushier ride. I'm going to continue to let it drop (natural attrition over time) to see if there's a sweet spot.

@Reid I tried running my Marathon Plus tires at the maximum listed pressure. On new asphalt it was fine. Anything else was a bit unpleasant. Not bone-jarring, but more bumpy than I care for. Dropped it down 10psi with no real change in ease of pedaling but it is a cushier ride. I'm going to continue to let it drop (natural attrition over time) to see if there's a sweet spot.
I am on Michelin Protek Urban 700C 38.

Are you on a suspension seatpost? (I forget!)

Have a Suntour SP12 NCX seatpost here, for which I bought the optional weaker, blue spring, supposed to be only for 140 lb and under riders, to make the thing properly float my weight (yet I am 170 lbs).

• 100PSI road detail is abolished.

• Comfort-wise it does not matter whether I inflate to 50 or 100PSI.

• The bike rolls with less effort at the higher pressure.

Aside from the unsprung weight issue non-addressment of a hard tire, if a cantilever-type suspension seatpost is equipoising the rider's saddled mass, jitter from a detailed road surface on a hard pumped tire cannot get to the rider at all.

Last edited:
I haven't pulled the trigger on a seatpost suspension yet. Mulling it over. My wife has one and likes it OK.

Those Michelins look pretty good, but I don't think I want to go from 45 to 38mm. Another one to contemplate for that inevitable moment when the Marathons need to be replaced.

The Trek Supercommuter 8+ is a sweet bike and that's a big discount. But as others have pointed out, the value is still a bit questionable relative to the CCS.

It would be a tough decision for me.

I haven't pulled the trigger on a seatpost suspension yet. Mulling it over. My wife has one and likes it OK.

Those Michelins look pretty good, but I don't think I want to go from 45 to 38mm. Another one to contemplate for that inevitable moment when the Marathons need to be replaced.

Do people get complacent about road bumps after installing a seat post suspension? Avoiding road bumps is not only good for your body but also for your bike and cargo, but a seatpost suspension of course only helps your body.

The Trek Supercommuter 8+ is a sweet bike and that's a big discount. But as others have pointed out, the value is still a bit questionable relative to the CCS.

It would be a tough decision for me.
From a value point the CCS is pretty clearly the better deal. I'm just going to have to trust others that the CCS rides really well. Everyone seems pretty happy. Hopefully I will too. If the CCS rides like that Trek, I'll be thrilled.

Personally I think the Trek's MSRP is overpriced. That said, a Performance Speed system is going to be expensive. I think the Bosch components alone add probably near $2K to a bike.

Okay guys, there was an ebike demo by my work today. I was able to go test ride a Trek Super Commuter + 8S. It is a very nice bike. Very smooth, polished, comfortable, and surprisingly powerful. I was riding uphill at 28 mph without any trouble. The University is sponsoring an ebike program and LBS's are offering significant discounts. The Trek is discounted to $3999. I understand that is still $1000 more than the CCS with a bigger battery. I was just very impressed with how smooth and enjoyable the bike was. Maybe I'm just getting sick of waiting on the CCS. I placed my order over a month ago, and still no shipping notification. I would probably be more comfortable with waiting if I could test ride a CCS, but that's not an option. Like I said, talk me out of it.
When and if you get it any time soon you'll figure out why you should have cancelled. I bought the ocean current and and can't hardly give it away. Customer service, I won't even go there. I already told everyone what I thought of juiced bikes and was banned from the forum for a few months so I'll tell you again, they suck but don't say anything bad about juiced on here or they will ban you, boy I almost didn't survive that. WHAT GOOD IS A FORUM IF YOU CAN'T LET PEOPLE KNOW THE BAD NEWS AND ONLY THE GOOD? They're probably gonna ban me again but I just call it like I see it. Still haven't received proper customer service, imagine that. Bye

When and if you get it any time soon you'll figure out why you should have cancelled. I bought the ocean current and and can't hardly give it away. Customer service, I won't even go there. I already told everyone what I thought of juiced bikes and was banned from the forum for a few months so I'll tell you again, they suck but don't say anything bad about juiced on here or they will ban you, boy I almost didn't survive that. WHAT GOOD IS A FORUM IF YOU CAN'T LET PEOPLE KNOW THE BAD NEWS AND ONLY THE GOOD? They're probably gonna ban me again but I just call it like I see it. Still haven't received proper customer service, imagine that. Bye

Rooster/ Irwin Tellar, A few customers we have will never be satisfied no matter what we do or don’t do. Of this group there are some who have a lot of free time. Of this unsatisfiable with loads of free time subset are the ones that go onto the internet at every opportunity to throw mud into just a about every conversation on every platform which allows for free discussion.

Rooster/ Irwin Tellar, A few customers we have will never be satisfied no matter what we do or don’t do. Of this group there are some who have a lot of free time. Of this unsatisfiable with loads of free time subset are the ones that go onto the internet at every opportunity to throw mud into just a about every conversation on every platform which allows for free discussion.
I haven't been on this forum in a few months and don't plan on being back for a while. Tora,you have no idea who I am, all I'm saying is from my personal experience juiced bikes isn't the most transparent company I ever dealt with. I built my own bike and it's far better than the ocean current for half the money with a 24ah Panasonic ga battery. I have no personal problem with Tora Harris.

@Asher I have a Thudbuster on my CCS and personally find it a must. A lot of what I ride on is nice but the bike paths have some big, tall cracks, and the paths and the roads have some major bumps and washboarding. I only went on two rides before I ordered the seat post because at speed those bumps are brutal!

As for complacency, I still try to avoid any jarring as much as possible. Major bumps still shake the hell out of the bike with it being so heavy, particularly in the back end, and I worry about the effect on the bike over time.

@Asher I have a Thudbuster on my CCS and personally find it a must. A lot of what I ride on is nice but the bike paths have some big, tall cracks, and the paths and the roads have some major bumps and washboarding. I only went on two rides before I ordered the seat post because at speed those bumps are brutal!

As for complacency, I still try to avoid any jarring as much as possible. Major bumps still shake the hell out of the bike with it being so heavy, particularly in the back end, and I worry about the effect on the bike over time.

Thanks, looks like I'm about to acquire a BF :). Yeah even with wider tires, there's still a lot of wearying road noise.

On a road bike, I went through potholes twice and once got a pinch flat, another time had to adjust the derailleur after. And on this bike, the disc brake tolerances are super tight, so you might get brake rub after a bad bump.

I am on Michelin Protek Urban 700C 38.

Are you on a suspension seatpost? (I forget!)

Have a Suntour SP12 NCX seatpost here, for which I bought the optional weaker, blue spring, supposed to be only for 140 lb and under riders, to make the thing properly float my weight (yet I am 170 lbs).

• 100PSI road detail is abolished.

• Comfort-wise it does not matter whether I inflate to 50 or 100PSI.

• The bike rolls with less effort at the higher pressure.

Aside from the unsprung weight issue non-addressment of a hard tire, if a cantilever-type suspension seatpost is equipoising the rider's saddled mass, jitter from a detailed road surface on a hard pumped tire cannot get to the rider at all.

Hi Reid, did you get the 350 mm or the 400 mm NCX? My CCS shipped this morning (yay!) and am considering one of these as a first add on.

Hi Reid, did you get the 350 mm or the 400 mm NCX? My CCS shipped this morning (yay!) and am considering one of these as a first add on.
350mm is what I got and it is OK on my L sized CCS frame.

But when a 6' 5" family member rides, the post could really do with being longer.

NCX in 400mm was not available in stock when I bought.

But if I had it all to do over again, I would get the CCS bike in medium instead of large, and a 400mm post.

That way I could drop the seat down enough so that riders somewhat shorter than my own 5' 10", like my lady friend, might try the bike more comfortably.

The CCS frames are basically all alike other than seat tube height and resultant standover.

I should have gotten the CCS in medium, for the added versitility in allowing test rides for others.

Last edited:
I bought a large and my son was convinced that at 5' tall he was big enough for the bike. Sometimes when the bike is in the garage he'll sneak onto it and ride up and down the hill in front of our house yelling "speed, whooo, speed" - He does ride the bike, not that we like it. I suppose he'll eventually grow into it.

I don't like how the wheelbase is the same regardless of size. It means larger riders are sitting more upright.

I don't like how the wheelbase is the same regardless of size. It means larger riders are sitting more upright.

Yeah I found it kind of odd that the frames beyond the seatposts are identical. You can always just rip off some other company's geometry for a similar class of bike. Maybe it made standardizing the battery compartment/wiring easier? Or they could get cost reductions through higher volume production of identical top and downtubes?

PS can someone explain why hybrid commuters have steeper head tube angles but electric ones don't? Checked a few of each and it's consistently 72 vs 70. Road bikes are 73-74. Maybe to make the steering less twitchy for safe higher speed handling?

Just remember with the Trek bike you have a local bike shop to take care of any issues under warranty. The value of that is hard to quantify.

Also the Trek has an overall much higher quality list of components:

1. Shimano Diore XT with 11 speed shadow derailleur
  2. Tektro Brakes vs shimano,
  3. The difference in rims and tires - Kenda vs Schwalbe
  4. a gorgeous, superbly built and finished frame vs solid but not nearly as polished
  5. M99 Pure Supernova light, an amazing headlight, probably the best out there that costs $300
  6. Carbon fiber fork vs low end spring front shock
  7. better weight distribution with the center drive
  8. the Bosch system which seems to have the best reliability stats of any system out there.

Just remember with the Trek bike you have a local bike shop to take care of any issues under warranty. The value of that is hard to quantify.

On the flip side, you could buy 2 CCS for 1 Trek

Back