Nyon Retrofit

You certainly have a lot of valid points here and a legitimate gripe. This is just very bad for business in the long run. You have to be so prepared with a 100 questions before purchase with these. Even then, you may get those promises up front just for the dealer to make the sale, then find out later everything becomes 'back-ordered'.

I now know that I was outright lied to many times by the first bike shop. At first, I did not notice the fudging. After the third time, it was very apparent. I told the guy I was no longer interested. The idiot replies by "what else can i help you with". He was hustling. I should have known from the very first impression. The shop had over a thousand bikes on the floor and walls. They have to move that inventory fast. I do not know how they manage during Christmas. And that was the first thing that crossed my mind. How does this place survive the off season is such high inventory?

My marketing professor friend told me that there is special form of accounting. I forget the name, but it has a great impact on how a business conducts their operations. The accounting method may have been called "breakeven accounting". Anyhow, the idea is to do whatever it takes to cover your costs. Once you achieve breakeven, you can dump everything to succeed. Really s* motivations.

Anyhow, i knew from the start that i needed two batteries. If i only get one battery, it is less than half of a product for me. I can ride my pedal bike at a fast pace for 30-40 miles without any trouble.

Ebikes are becoming readily accepted by traditional, strong cyclists. The merits are being recognized. Now you have two different bike cultures merging. The smart gamble is to allow flexibility. Assuming just one battery per bike is old school.

I get on my bike and ride. I might leave for a short trip around my neighborhood and wind up going 40+ miles to downtown Denver and back. I hate the idea of being limited by a single battery. That's not much fun. I might learn of a ride and not try it for a year or two. But then sme day, the opportunity arises. what pleases me the most is to finally ride some beautiful route. That really makes me happy about the ride. I never plan it, though.

Last edited:
Does Nyon estimate arrival time based on eBike speed? Google Maps needs an eBike button.

o you know if Nyon estimates ETA? If so, is it more accurate?

https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/35651/bosch-nyon-range-estimates-are-unreliable

"Yeah, it's difficult to estimate the range of an electric bike using a relatively "dumb" meter since it depends on both riding conditions and the charge state of the battery. Riding conditions of course cannot be easily predicted, and, with modern NiMH or Li-Ion batteries there is no way to simply measure battery voltage/current and determine it's charge state -- a device must be employed which "memorizes" the historical charge/discharge pattern and analyzes that."

Yes, Nyon displays estimate arrival time. page 28

But it also depends upon map data. page 55

Importing GPX Track

GPX files contain a number of geographical coordinates (waypoints) whose sequence describes a route. The GPX files can be used for naviga- tion with Nyon. You can create or edit GPX files with the appropriate programs.
You can use the button “Upload GPX file” to import GPX files with a size of up to 5 MB into the online portal. GPX files are transferred to Nyon as soon as Nyon is connected via the smartphone to the internet over WiFi or Blue- tooth®. On its own, Nyon cannot import GPX files directly over a USB link.

The routability of GPX tracks depends on the accuracy of details on OSM maps. The following results are possible depending on the existence of roads and tracks which are navigable:

– GPXTrackcanbefullyrouted
Navigation can be performed as usual, including turn-off instructions and information of the remaining distance and estimated time of arrival. The turn-off instructions can be switched off using the button at the top right.
If Nyon is close to the starting point, navigation can be started imme- diately.
If Nyon is further away from the starting point, the rider can be navi- gated to that point.

– GPXTrackcannotberouted
The route is displayed statically on Nyon and can be travelled by the rider. No navigation details or time calculations can be made.

??? What are trying to say about changed versions?
  • Do they mean a route that you have already travelled on once?
– GPXTrackcanbepartiallyrouted
If you use the changed versions, you can convert and save the route into a fully routable track.
If you have the original version, the route is treated as a non-routable track.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Last edited:
does nyon store battery level information in gpx files? I am wondering if i could determine the best power assist level for different parts of a route from the data Nyon stores into the GPX file?

In other words, does Nyon provide a fuel economy function that is saved as GPX data?

Last edited:
Can the Nyon use the Intuvia controller? I’ve heard both answers. Obviously it would mean some loss in function having only the joystick on the Nyon itself. But I’m concerned that there might be a more serious issue.

Can the Nyon use the Intuvia controller? I’ve heard both answers. Obviously it would mean some loss in function having only the joystick on the Nyon itself. But I’m concerned that there might be a more serious issue.

Yes, it can, no problem. The up/down buttons get you between screens + you have the Home button. Loss of joystick is no big deal, honestly, if you don’t want to buy the Nyon-specific controller.

That’s good to know. I’d like to easily switch to the Intuvia until the warrantee expires. Then I might add the Nyon controller.

That’s good to know. I’d like to easily switch to the Intuvia until the warrantee expires. Then I might add the Nyon controller.
Actually I got an error code from the Nyon when I first hooked it up and used the Intuvia controller. Made some inquiries and found that you have to use the Nyon specific controller. It seems that member dbhelix says it will work, not sure if he is right.
Had the Nyon for about half a year and really like it!

I assume the error code wouldn’t go away by hiting one of the keys? I have a controller on order - I just don’t want to use it.

I assume the error code wouldn’t go away by hiting one of the keys? I have a controller on order - I just don’t want to use it.

I unsuccessfully tried to get around the error code. Wondering why you don't want the Nyon controller? The Nyon controller is easy to hook up. Works like the Intuvia controller but with added functions to take advantage of the Nyon's capabilities.

Actually I got an error code from the Nyon when I first hooked it up and used the Intuvia controller. Made some inquiries and found that you have to use the Nyon specific controller. It seems that member dbhelix says it will work, not sure if he is right.
Had the Nyon for about half a year and really like it!

It works so well that I never bothered installing the Nyon controller I bought on eBay.de. Consider it a spare if the joystick breaks on the unit. If there are doubts, I’d be happy to make a video in the next week to reassure you.

I got an error code as well initially but got past it easily. Don’t think it was related to the controller — it was a mismatch between the unit and the app version, IIRC.

I unsuccessfully tried to get around the error code. Wondering why you don't want the Nyon controller? The Nyon controller is easy to hook up. Works like the Intuvia controller but with added functions to take advantage of the Nyon's capabilities.

I preferred to hang on to it just in case that joystick gets knocked off. I’ve already had the mask fly off :(. Not a lefty; don’t have a real desire to use the joystick via controller.

Ditto what tallpaul said. The joy stick is how you change from ride screen to fitness screen to Navigation screen and back. Using the one on the controller keeps your left hand on the handlebar. I use the custom ride & fitness screen with different info in each box. Thus I do switch back and forth occasionally during a ride. I'd rather keep both hands on the wheel when I do so.

I’m sure the Nyon controller is good to have. However, my bike is brand new and still under warrantee. I’d like to try out the Nyon (and if I like it continue to use it) but switch back to the Intuvia when I take the bike back to the dealer (if necessary). If I have to swap controllers when I do this it just makes things a bit more difficult. Not really a big deal but each time is a chance to lose a screw or mess something up. I’ve orderred the Nyon and controller but haven’t gotten them yet. I have the software for my iphone (thanks to this forum) and am eager to try eveything out.

My dealer said that installation of the Nyon will not effect my warranty one way or the other. In fact their their manager asked me for installation instructions. It's not like adding a third party speed delimiter.

However you do have a point in that in order for the dealer to do a firmware upgrade on a bike in the USA, they may need swap out for the Intuvia and original display controller briefly.

ditto what Alaskan said. I also talked with Bosch and was told that upgrading to the Nyon will not affect warranty with Bosch. My LBS has had my bike in for service and there were no issues re: Nyon, in fact they all wanted to know where I got it, how I liked it, etc.

Doesn't the Nyon do firmware upgrades via the internet? Does this still happen in the US? I may not need to swap in the Intuvia if I don't need firmware upgrades from the dealer. If so then I only need it for the dealer to do hardware repairs (which I hope will never be needed)

Great news! My Nyon came today and it works just fine with my Intuvia controller. I get the 580 error message each time I turn it on but it goes away when I hit the joystick button (is there a way to keep it off?).
Of course I don’t yet know what all the functions do but it sure looks like everything works.

Back