Nyon Retrofit

Thanks. Very useful!

Would you happen to know if the Nyon attaches to the Purion base unit? I am interested in this 2019 Trek Powerfly 5.

I am under the impression that the Nyon only attaches to the Intuvia base?

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...owerfly/powerfly-hardtail/powerfly-5/p/23180/

The Nyon does not attach to the Intuvia base unit. If you have a Purion now, you will have to purchase and install the Intuvia base as well. The cable from the base has to be passed down through the down tube to the motor housing where it is plugged in. If you decide to do that I have some helpful steps to take that will simplify that process.

The Nyon does not attach to the Intuvia base unit. If you have a Purion now, you will have to purchase and install the Intuvia base as well. The cable from the base has to be passed down through the down tube to the motor housing where it is plugged in. If you decide to do that I have some helpful steps to take that will simplify that process.

Thanks. I have not bought the bike, yet. Still trying to vet the details.

All i want to do is get a battery percentage readout to prolong the battery life. I want to avoid the charge level dropping below 40% or exceeding 90%.
  • Do two bars equate to exactly 40%, or some ambiguous number?
  • How could I determine the 90% level?
I assume that i could put the charger on a timer to stop charging at 90%?

I am actually going to the trouble and expense of buying a second PowerTube battery. I believe the long-term cost of batteries could exceed the original cost.

The major problem i have at this point is finding a PowerTube 500 replacement battery for the USA. Trek told me their lead time is actually one year. I am afraid that i could be without a battery for months, if warranty became an issue.

Thanks,
Mike

Thanks. I have not bought the bike, yet. Still trying to vet the details.

All i want to do is get a battery percentage readout to prolong the battery life. I want to avoid the charge level dropping below 40% or exceeding 90%.
  • Do two bars equate to exactly 40%, or some ambiguous number?
  • How could I determine the 90% level?
I assume that i could put the charger on a timer to stop charging at 90%?

I am actually going to the trouble and expense of buying a second PowerTube battery. I believe the long-term cost of batteries could exceed the original cost.

The major problem i have at this point is finding a PowerTube 500 replacement battery for the USA. Trek told me their lead time is actually one year. I am afraid that i could be without a battery for months, if warranty became an issue.

Thanks,
Mike
You make a strong argument for bikes with the old style Bosch battery as they are available for purchase now. I have three bike that all use the same battery plus on extra so two of us can do a trip that might require double range.

Buying a Nyon just to show actual battery percentage (which it does) is like buying a whole robot to tell you there is someone at your door when they push a button on the door step. Yet, any other way might cost more and be far less elegant and offer features you might end up liking and using.

You make a strong argument for bikes with the old style Bosch battery as they are available for purchase now. I have three bike that all use the same battery plus on extra so two of us can do a trip that might require double range.

Buying a Nyon just to show actual battery percentage (which it does) is like buying a whole robot to tell you there is someone at your door when they push a button on the door step. Yet, any other way might cost more and be far less elegant and offer features you might end up liking and using.

Your comment cracks me up! I just cannot believe the absurdity of it! I think i would rather laugh, because the serious side makes me dangerously angry!

Have you considered submitting a skit to Saturday Night Live -- a la John Belushi style ?

I think it would be hilarious! "No battery, Pepsi".

Sorry, North America, we have no commodity batteries for you. But, earnestly, and very sincerely, in a most Arian seriousness, check back with us in exactly 365 days. We will honor your request for a few batteries at under 1,000 Euros.

How preposterous does it get?

Alaskan replied "The Nyon does not attach to the Intuvia base unit." I think it was a typo.
Actually the Nyon does attach to the Intuvia base. But you'll need the Nyon remote and the wiring to connect to the motor

Alaskan replied "The Nyon does not attach to the Intuvia base unit." I think it was a typo.
Actually the Nyon does attach to the Intuvia base. But you'll need the Nyon remote and the wiring to connect to the motor

Thanks. The LBS and i were discussing this yesterday. We weren't sure how to do it.

Thanks. The LBS and i were discussing this yesterday. We weren't sure how to do it.
The Alaskan is the leading expert on the conversion, and very generous with his knowledge. If you search here for Nyon you will find several step by step instructions from the Alaskan that are really all you'll need.
He (and I as well) went from the Intuvia so you'll have to add in the base and wiring specific part to do the conversion from the Purion.
BTW, I don't care for the Purion, it is limiting on its info at a glance, and also set to the side rather then front and center as is the Intuvia. Also found the + and - buttons tricky to make work until you find the sweet spot. But I do understand their appeal to hardcore mtb as they are minimal and less likely to suffer damage in a fall.

The Alaskan is the leading expert on the conversion, and very generous with his knowledge. If you search here for Nyon you will find several step by step instructions from the Alaskan that are really all you'll need.
He (and I as well) went from the Intuvia so you'll have to add in the base and wiring specific part to do the conversion from the Purion.
BTW, I don't care for the Purion, it is limiting on its info at a glance, and also set to the side rather then front and center as is the Intuvia. Also found the + and - buttons tricky to make work until you find the sweet spot. But I do understand their appeal to hardcore mtb as they are minimal and less likely to suffer damage in a fall.

I did order the Intuvia. But it sounds like the Nyon is required before installing the Intuvia? We were thinking that there would be no compatibility issues, because the components talk wirelessly over the CAN bus. But it seems like you are saying that the controller is wired differently?

If you have the Intuvia on your bike already then all you'll need in addition to the the Nyon is the Nyon specific remote controller that will connect to the bottom of the Intuvia mount with its 4 teeny little screws replacing the Intuvias remote connector. Then you should be ready to go. The Nyon will not work with the Intuvia remote controller. Attached a pic of my setup, the remote cable is the one on the right as you look at the underside of the base mount for the Nyon.

Attachments

• IMG_3354.jpeg
    IMG_3354.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 588
I was just skimming through the Nyon instruction manual. Seems like it is compatible with the shamino Di2 shifter. I did not notice any automatic shifting. I suppose you need an internally geared hub for automatic shifting?

I would prefer to let the controller do all the shifting. It has all the information to shift in the most efficient manner. I suspect battery distance could be substantially improved? After all, scooters have CVT transmissions, not motorcycle gears.

BTW, I agree with the Alaskan's comment about getting a Nyon just for the battery percentage. It is nice to see occasionally. But I have had my bike for around a year and a half with over 3000 miles on it. I just charge it up after my rides and do not worry about the percentage. There has been no noticeable degradation of the battery doing so. The Bosch charger is claimed to be a smart charger and if the battery gets too hot or whatever should be able to handle that.

I was just skimming through the Nyon instruction manual. Seems like it is compatible with the shamino Di2 shifter. I did not notice any automatic shifting. I suppose you need an internally geared hub for automatic shifting?

I would prefer to let the controller do all the shifting. It has all the information to shift in the most efficient manner. I suspect battery distance could be substantially improved? After all, scooters have CVT transmissions, not motorcycle gears.

Again, the Alaskan will be able to help I believe. He has two R&M bikes, one that uses the Nuvinci shifter and the other with the Rohloff shifter (which he really likes!) I test drove one the other day and the Rohloff hub shifter was quite nice, and has 14 speeds! Eliminating the derailleur would be quite nice and is a definite advantage of the Rohloff. Combine that with a belt drive instead of the ol' chain, very nice!

BTW, I agree with the Alaskan's comment about getting a Nyon just for the battery percentage. It is nice to see occasionally. But I have had my bike for around a year and a half with over 3000 miles on it. I just charge it up after my rides and do not worry about the percentage. There has been no noticeable degradation of the battery doing so. The Bosch charger is claimed to be a smart charger and if the battery gets too hot or whatever should be able to handle that.

I am an iPhone developer, so i am intimately familiar with battery technology. I am actually referring to battery chemistry, rather than heat from the charger. To prolong your battery life, you want to keep any battery charged between 40% and 90%. I plan to swap out the battery on a ride when it reaches 40%. I never want to charge it beyond 90%.

I see an electric bike as an investment in batteries. I expect batteries will cost me more than the bike, over the course of ownership.

The general consensus is as you state to keep the charge between 40% and 90%. I don't have any real knowledge of Iithium batteries as you do. But for me the convenience of just letting the charger fill up my battery outweighs a potentially shorter life span. I also need 100% sometimes to cover the distance of my ride.
I have had all my iPhones (terrific phones!) batteries seeming go on forever and have always just plugged them in before bed. BTW I love the new iPhoneX's ability to wirelessly charge.
Getting back to the Bosch batteries, you are certainly correct regarding the high cost of nearly $900 for a 500w spare! Perhaps they will come down in price and go up in capacity. I had ordered a 500w Bosch battery on eBay from a Bosch dealer in Amsterdam, it cost about $575 with shipping, but the seller sent it twice, both time getting returned to Amsterdam because of shipping regulations in the US. He was infuriated as he had shipped quite a few to the states before and was never informed of any different newer regulations, to say nothing of the cost to him to ship twice only to have them back on his doorstep a few weeks later! In the end no new spare battery for me. I'm good with that for now. Got my eye on the new Haibike Flyon system with its 48v 650w battery, 120nm torque, and no SES sprocket needed on the full suspension models. Might be year or so to be available here in the US. I can wait. I love my Haibike. It has brought many hours of enjoyment and exercise.

The general consensus is as you state to keep the charge between 40% and 90%. I don't have any real knowledge of Iithium batteries as you do. But for me the convenience of just letting the charger fill up my battery outweighs a potentially shorter life span. I also need 100% sometimes to cover the distance of my ride.
I have had all my iPhones (terrific phones!) batteries seeming go on forever and have always just plugged them in before bed. BTW I love the new iPhoneX's ability to wirelessly charge.
Getting back to the Bosch batteries, you are certainly correct regarding the high cost of nearly $900 for a 500w spare! Perhaps they will come down in price and go up in capacity. I had ordered a 500w Bosch battery on eBay from a Bosch dealer in Amsterdam, it cost about $575 with shipping, but the seller sent it twice, both time getting returned to Amsterdam because of shipping regulations in the US. He was infuriated as he had shipped quite a few to the states before and was never informed of any different newer regulations, to say nothing of the cost to him to ship twice only to have them back on his doorstep a few weeks later! In the end no new spare battery for me. I'm good with that for now. Got my eye on the new Haibike Flyon system with its 48v 650w battery, 120nm torque, and no SES sprocket needed on the full suspension models. Might be year or so to be available here in the US. I can wait. I love my Haibike. It has brought many hours of enjoyment and exercise.

The only thing that truly matters is how you feel. As a programmer, I must be very conscious of battery consumption. That level of attention to detail makes it impossible to relax about the battery.

You bring up a point that has been frustrating me. I cannot find a spare PowerTube 500 in the entire USA. That makes me very nervous. Trek told me they order batteries a full year in advance. So, it Trek's lead time is one year, consumer lead time is probably months?

Mike

Can someone here post the link to a Bosch Nyon unit for $100.00 US on ebay? Unable to locate. Perhaps it is on the UK ebay site?? THX!

Would you upgrade any part of the Powerfly drivetrain?

Drivetrain
Shifters
Shimano Deore M6000, 10 speed

Rear derailleur
Shimano Deore M6000, Shadow Plus

Crank
FSA 310, 15T w/chainguard

Cassette
Shimano HG50, 11-42, 10 speed

Chain
KMC X10

11-36T Cassette sprocket
Link to the Shimano Deore M6000 mech For Powerfly.

Would you upgrade any part of the Powerfly drivetrain?

Drivetrain
Shifters
Shimano Deore M6000, 10 speed

Rear derailleur
Shimano Deore M6000, Shadow Plus

Crank
FSA 310, 15T w/chainguard

Cassette
Shimano HG50, 11-42, 10 speed

Chain
KMC X10

11-36T Cassette sprocket
Link to the Shimano Deore M6000 mech For Powerfly.
I meant to say if you have a Purion to start with, you'll need the Intuvia base in addition to the Nyon and the Nyon controller.

To find the Nyon on ebay just search "Nyon Bosch". Then search for "Nyon controller". Both items should total just under $200 with shipping. The final search is "bosch intuvia display holder"

Not having ridden a Powerfly, I am not prepared to recommend performance tweaks. Also the sprocket and cassette mods I made on my Cube were to a Diore 8000 11 speed.

Back