Nyon Retrofit

Is Bosch a super conservative company? The Nyon seems to add so much extra value. I wish I understood Bosch's attitude towards the USA market. Is the USA simply too small to bother with?

Or, does the push have to come from the USA bike manufacturers? Or do the car manufacturers dominate so much that ebikes are relegated to a small domain?

Basically, Bosch can charge whatever they want. The profit on a $1000 battery pack must be enormous. My understanding is they can sell as many as they can produce. And they produce all they are capable of.
I have heard that Bosch sold 600,000 bike power systems in 2017...8,000 in the United States. That makes our market sliver not worth much compliance effort.

I use the nav component only for driving directions. The mapping is not nearly as good as google maps. I create routes on Google maps and then convert them to gpx files, upload the file to my portal which automatically synchs them into the Nyon when it is turned on in reach of wifi.

I posted this on an earlier thread:

Step BY STEP ROUTE CREATION AND TRANSFER USING GOOGLE MAPS

1. On your pc browser go to google maps
  2. enter the start point
  3. enter the destination
  4. select the bicycle at the top
  5. copy the URL of the page once the route is displayed
  6. go to https://mapstogpx.com/
  7. paste the url of the google maps route
  8. click on "Lets Go"
  9. save the file to your desk top
  10. open the Bosch Nyon ebike-connect portal
  11. select Route Planning
  12. select upload GPS file
  13. on your desktop choose the gpx file you just created
  14. click on open
  15. your route is now created, loaded on your Nyon portal and will be installed on your Nyon when you next start it up.

I use the nav component only for driving directions. The mapping is not nearly as good as google maps. I create routes on Google maps and then convert them to gpx files, upload the file to my portal which automatically synchs them into the Nyon when it is turned on in reach of wifi.

I posted this on an earlier thread:

Step BY STEP ROUTE CREATION AND TRANSFER USING GOOGLE MAPS

1. On your pc browser go to google maps
  2. enter the start point
  3. enter the destination
  4. select the bicycle at the top
  5. copy the URL of the page once the route is displayed
  6. go to https://mapstogpx.com/
  7. paste the url of the google maps route
  8. click on "Lets Go"
  9. save the file to your desk top
  10. open the Bosch Nyon ebike-connect portal
  11. select Route Planning
  12. select upload GPS file
  13. on your desktop choose the gpx file you just created
  14. click on open
  15. your route is now created, loaded on your Nyon portal and will be installed on your Nyon when you next start it up.

The small market is why I insist to have a backup battery at purchase. I cannot rely on getting a timely replacement. The only thing stalling my purchase is for the LBS to obtain a second battery, which seems impossible. Someone is blocking the import of PowerTube 500 into the USA from overseas websites.

And that makes absolutely no sense to me. Who's interests does that serve? Why does anybody care?

Do you happen to know who is the US distributor of Bosch batteries? I assume not Bosch?

Last edited:
I wonder if it is US regulations or required certifications that is keeping the Nyon out of the US market? It is really too bad because I want one, but don't want to jump through all the hoops.

I wonder if it is US regulations or required certifications that is keeping the Nyon out of the US market? It is really too bad because I want one, but don't want to jump through all the hoops.

I assume USA regulations are far more lax than Europe.

I cannot believe the certification process is a big deal for the USA. USA is all about commerce. These products are built to industry standards.

I think supply and demand is at work. The demand is so high, that the little players, i.e., eBike manufacturers, get squeezed out. The auto makers are king!

Do you think Giant, Specialized and Trek are significant compared to Detroit or Stuttgart? I think not.

A bike only needs about 50 batteries. Tesla needs 7000. We're talking 100x the scale. If you have to fight for a limited resource, who wins?

I think there is a big conflict of interests. Bosch interests are as a supplier to industry, not consumers. Bike manufacturers interests are consumers. Bike manufacturers do not stock replacements. A big hole develops. The hole is accelerating. Everybody wants in on the battery game. Four manufacturers provide 80% of the worlds batteries. Where does the additional supply come from? Demand is strong. Supply is steady.

I feel it is more likely to see small eBikes companies go out of business due to no batteries, than to find replacements. Something has to give in a crunch. The question is who is hurt? Isn't always the little guy?

Most people are using eBikes for recreation. I am dependent upon bikes for transportation. I cannot takes chances. My viewpoint is irrelevant for most people.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the Nyon works with the Apple Watch heart rate monitor?

You might find what you want by:

The standard features of the "Nyon" operating system can be expanded via the App Store for Apple iPhones and Google Play Store for Android devices through the purchase of "premium features".

In addition to the free Bosch eBike Connect app, there are a number of fee-based premium features. A detailed list of the additional apps that are available can be found in the online operating instructions at www.Bosch‐eBike.com/nyon‐manual.

Download the Bosch eBike Connect app to your smart- phone from the App Store for Apple iPhones or Google Play Store for Android devices.

Launch the "Bosch eBike Connect" app and follow the in- structions. Detailed operating instructions can be found on- line at www.Bosch‐eBike.com/nyon‐manual.
If the application Bosch eBike Connect is active and there is a Bluetooth® connection to your on-board computer, data between on-board computer and smartphone will sync auto- matically.

I found more functionality here:

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

IMG_0658.PNG

The "Custom Riding Mode" interests me the most. However, it is not part of Nyon. You buy and download this separately. How to find what you want is not apparent, unless you also install the app on your iphone. If i were you, i would first download the app onto your iphone before searching the internet.

IMG_0659.PNG

Last edited:
I did not find "Bosch eBike Connect" on the USA AppStore. Does that mean that i cannot get "Custom Riding Modes" on Nyon?

If i cannot customize the Riding Modes, the i guess i rely on eMTB?

If eMTB does not work, then I can still adjust power through the buttons?

Seems like i do not lose too much without Riding Modes, other than automatic settings?

This seems silly. So much fuss over so little, or am i missing the point?

One of the benefits i hope to gain is to stay out of the lower gears. I hate the lower gears.

Last edited:
The custom ride modes are interesting but not necessary. If you have a Bosch CX with updated firmware, you will have EMTB (but lose the sport mode) It still displays as sport on the Intuvia but shows as EMTB on the Nyon. The other add-on is topgraphical range which displays your range on a map with the range showing shorter where the terrain is hilly and longer where it is flat.

Other than that the app is quite useful in reviewing past rides, setting custom ride and fitness screens but all of this is available at the web portal through your browser on a computer.

As I do not have apple equipment I don't have any advice for where to get the apple Bosch app. I have heard that some get this by opening an apple app store account in the UK and download the app there.

The custom ride modes are interesting but not necessary. If you have a Bosch CX with updated firmware, you will have EMTB (but lose the sport mode) It still displays as sport on the Intuvia but shows as EMTB on the Nyon. The other add-on is topgraphical range which displays your range on a map with the range showing shorter where the terrain is hilly and longer where it is flat.

Other than that the app is quite useful in reviewing past rides, setting custom ride and fitness screens but all of this is available at the web portal through your browser on a computer.

As I do not have apple equipment I don't have any advice for where to get the apple Bosch app. I have heard that some get this by opening an apple app store account in the UK and download the app there.

Thanks. I think Bosch could do a lot more to help people understand their products.

I could have used maps this morning. I made another spur of the moment decisions. I turned down the Highline Canal trail, which I had never been on before. I knew generally where it went. Until I got to the point where I expected the paths to join. I could clearly see where I was at. However, I could not figure out which dirt road to take on either side of the railroad tracks. I had been on the other path before. I was just not sure how the new path connected to the familiar one.

Another one of "short" rides. 12 mile return trip grew into 19.

I meant to say if you have a Purion to start with, you'll need the Intuvia base in addition to the Nyon and the Nyon controller.

To find the Nyon on ebay just search "Nyon Bosch". Then search for "Nyon controller". Both items should total just under $200 with shipping. The final search is "bosch intuvia display holder"

Not having ridden a Powerfly, I am not prepared to recommend performance tweaks. Also the sprocket and cassette mods I made on my Cube were to a Diore 8000 11 speed.

FYI- I have found the $200 pricing is for a 'used' Bosch Nyon with controller, however for approx $300, you have the option to purchase a 'new' unit with the controller. IMO, I would opt for a new unit being you only get 60 days on used returns.

FYI- I have found the $200 pricing is for a 'used' Bosch Nyon with controller, however for approx $300, you have the option to purchase a 'new' unit with the controller. IMO, I would opt for a new unit being you only get 60 days on used returns.
If you are looking at the same eBay listing that I looked at, the seller of that "new" unit doesn't allow returns at all.

If you are looking at the same eBay listing that I looked at, the seller of that "new" unit doesn't allow returns at all.

I am not surprised. Seems like the USA is in a PowerTube and Nyon rationing state.

I rode 30+ miles today. That is not very far for me. I certainly need two batteries.

Yes, you are correct! My bad, I should have included that also. I would still buy it new. After 60 days, you are SOL.

One thing I find odd is that there seem to be quite a few used Nyon's for sale. I assume most of this used inventory is coming from Europe, but why are people over there getting rid of them?

One thing I find odd is that there seem to be quite a few used Nyon's for sale. I assume most of this used inventory is coming from Europe, but why are people over there getting rid of them?

I am totally confused. You would not believe the BS reason Bosch gave for refusing my request for a second battery. I really want to avoid a controversy, so i will not go into this anymore. I really appreciate the excellent service my LBS gave me. They are innocent victims in the crossfire.

Something is very wrong. I just do not want to get into it anymore.

I contacted Trek about not being able to buy a second battery from Bosch. Let's see if Trek can obtain one.

The $100 "used" Nyons on eBay from the San Francisco seller are, as far as I can tell, are new, but without packaging. They still have the protective film on the face, and at least mine, and Alaskans, had no sign of use or any defects. The controllers can be ordered from Germany for around $80 shipped. Definitely a good buy, and a great addition to the Bosch system. Couldn't be such a big deal for Bosch to bring them for sale here in the US.

The $100 "used" Nyons on eBay from the San Francisco seller are, as far as I can tell, are new, but without packaging. They still have the protective film on the face, and at least mine, and Alaskans, had no sign of use or any defects. The controllers can be ordered from Germany for around $80 shipped. Definitely a good buy, and a great addition to the Bosch system. Couldn't be such a big deal for Bosch to bring them for sale here in the US.

Bosch refused to sell me a second battery. So, no replacement batteries are available to Americans for a German product sold in the USA. I wonder if any laws prohibit that behavior? Seems like monopolistic practices to me. But what do i know about law? At the very least, it is unfair.

Trek does not sell Bosch products, so i am asking Trek to make one available to me.

Do retailers of German bikes also face the same difficulty? Who's interests does such a policy serve?

Last edited:
Bosch refused to sell me a second battery. So, no replacement batteries are available to Americans for a German product sold in the USA. I wonder if any laws prohibit that behavior? Seems like monopolistic practices to me. But what do i know about law? At the very least, it is unfair.

Trek does not sell Bosch products, so i am asking Trek to make one available to me.

Do retailers of German bikes also face the same difficulty? Who's interests does such a policy serve?

You certainly have a lot of valid points here and a legitimate gripe. This is just very bad for business in the long run. You have to be so prepared with a 100 questions before purchase with these. Even then, you may get those promises up front just for the dealer to make the sale, then find out later everything becomes 'back-ordered'.

Back