Nyon Retrofit

More great news. I updated the Nyon software and I no longer get the 580 error message at startup.

Glad to hear things are going well. I have had zero problems with the Intuvia controller. I was on the road this summer with the Intuvia packed away in case I needed actual service somewhere. While the initial motivation was practical, I found no downside to using the unit joystick exclusively.YMMV, so you have the flexibility to do what’s best for you. Have fun!

Well, after debating with myself for several months on the risks and advantages of a Nyon retrofit, I bit the bullet today and ordered a Nyon on eBay. I decided to go with the new unit including controller ($269 + $15 shipping from CA) instead of the $98 deal for a used device which would have required buying the controller separately from Germany or Italy for an additional $70 to $90 incl. shipping. I got it for a little less than $269 using the "Make Offer" feature on eBay. I hope I won't be sorry.

I will be replacing the Intuvia on my Gazelle Arroyo which uses the Bosch Performance Line motor. I am sure I will have some questions, so I will follow up when I get the Nyon.

I also have the Gazelle Arroyo. I chose the $98 ebay Nyon unit. Although advertised as used, it sure looks like a new unit although of the older 1G style. It even has the protective film over the display. I also got the separate Nyon controller although I haven't installed it yet. It works great but when I don't need the GPS function I think I prefer the simpler Intuvia display. Perhaps I just need more experience fiddling with the various Nyon screens. It certainly has a lot more function.

Well, after debating with myself for several months on the risks and advantages of a Nyon retrofit, I bit the bullet today and ordered a Nyon on eBay. I decided to go with the new unit including controller ($269 + $15 shipping from CA) instead of the $98 deal for a used device which would have required buying the controller separately from Germany or Italy for an additional $70 to $90 incl. shipping. I got it for a little less than $269 using the "Make Offer" feature on eBay. I hope I won't be sorry.

I will be replacing the Intuvia on my Gazelle Arroyo which uses the Bosch Performance Line motor. I am sure I will have some questions, so I will follow up when I get the Nyon.
@AlanDB If you have any questions or feel like a little help is called for, just send me a private message here on the forum and we can exchange phone numbers. I'll be glad to help.

I also have the Gazelle Arroyo. I chose the $98 ebay Nyon unit. Although advertised as used, it sure looks like a new unit although of the older 1G style. It even has the protective film over the display. I also got the separate Nyon controller although I haven't installed it yet. It works great but when I don't need the GPS function I think I prefer the simpler Intuvia display. Perhaps I just need more experience fiddling with the various Nyon screens. It certainly has a lot more function.
Have you set up a profile at Bosch www.ebike-connect.com yet? Doing that really opens up the full functionality and features of the Nyon.

Astro-I also looked at the used ones and probably would opt for those opposed to the new ones. Worth the risk as they look like they are in fairly new condition. I am still looking for an E-bike with a Bosch motor system so I can utilize the Nyon. Looks awesome compared to the standard displays seen on most E-bikes. Good luck with your setup. Kudos to Alaskan for all of his assistance with setup as well.

@AlanDB If you have any questions or feel like a little help is called for, just send me a private message here on the forum and we can exchange phone numbers. I'll be glad to help.
Thanks for the generous offer ... I may take you up on that when I have my Nyon in hand.

Astro-I also looked at the used ones and probably would opt for those opposed to the new ones. Worth the risk as they look like they are in fairly new condition. I am still looking for an E-bike with a Bosch motor system so I can utilize the Nyon. Looks awesome compared to the standard displays seen on most E-bikes. Good luck with your setup. Kudos to Alaskan for all of his assistance with setup as well.

I got one of the "used ones" but it was most definitely new, or as new, not a scratch on it and covered with the original protective film. Got error issues trying to use with the Intuvia controller so got the Nyon controller out of Germany. Zero issues with the unit. Having it automatically download the trip statistics to the eBike-Connect portal, waiting for you on your desktop, is really a nice feature, full of stats.
With all the features it took me a few rides to get used to it, but as the Alaskan says it is the best upgrade for the Bosch eBike you can buy!
And speaking of the Alaskan, my shout out to him who was, and continues to be, an extremely helpful and generous member here on the forum!!

I got one of the "used ones" but it was most definitely new, or as new, not a scratch on it and covered with the original protective film. Got error issues trying to use with the Intuvia controller so got the Nyon controller out of Germany. Zero issues with the unit. Having it automatically download the trip statistics to the eBike-Connect portal, waiting for you on your desktop, is really a nice feature, full of stats.
With all the features it took me a few rides to get used to it, but as the Alaskan says it is the best upgrade for the Bosch eBike you can buy!
And speaking of the Alaskan, my shout out to him who was, and continues to be, an extremely helpful and generous member here on the forum!!

Yes definitely- Alaskan really shines on this forum for being so kind to offer his help to specific members in need. This stuff can get so tricky and frustrating sometimes. In addition, amazing how much business Bosch is losing on these units compared to not being sold at most USA based LBS.

Last edited:
My Nyon has shipped ... supposed to be here next week. In the meantime, I have already thought of a couple of questions.

Will the odometer reset back to 0 when I replace the Intuvia with the new Nyon? Or is that information maintained somewhere outside the Intuvia? After I replace the Intuvia control with the Nyon control, can I still mount the Intuvia display and use it with the Nyon control? My thinking is that it would be a good idea to use the Intuvia occasionally to keep its internal battery charged.

No, the mileage record on the Intuvia unfortunately will not carry over to the Nyon. I switched to the Nyon at just around 2000 miles logged so it is easy for me to figure my total mileage.
I don't know if the Nyon controller will work with the Intuvia, my guess is that it will not work. I kept my Intuvia and controller as a back up unit in case the Nyon fails, but so far so good and I certainly don't want to go back.
I think you can charge the intuvia with a usb cable off a charger, or if not replace the internal battery.
But I'd say once the Nyon is hooked up and you get comfortable with it you will not want to go back. Be patient with it and explore its features. A solid little unit for sure.

Thanks for the answers tallpaul. I have a "new bike" 500 mile tune-up (free) from my LBS that I am due, so I will want to get that done before I do the Nyon upgrade. I am guessing my LBS will not condone the Nyon retrofit, and may even tell me it voids my warranty and the free 500 mile service agreement. So I want to get my promised service from them before they know I am doing the upgrade. Next year, I will need to pay for any service they do anyway, so I doubt that they will complain too much about the Nyon at that time.

I am disappointed though that I cannot swap between the Nyon and Intuvia without changing the controller. I was hoping I could just plug in the Intuvia now and then, especially if I have problems with the Nyon or need service from my LBS. Oh well, it is what it is.

Thanks for the answers tallpaul. I have a "new bike" 500 mile tune-up (free) from my LBS that I am due, so I will want to get that done before I do the Nyon upgrade. I am guessing my LBS will not condone the Nyon retrofit, and may even tell me it voids my warranty and the free 500 mile service agreement. So I want to get my promised service from them before they know I am doing the upgrade. Next year, I will need to pay for any service they do anyway, so I doubt that they will complain too much about the Nyon at that time.

I am disappointed though that I cannot swap between the Nyon and Intuvia without changing the controller. I was hoping I could just plug in the Intuvia now and then, especially if I have problems with the Nyon or need service from my LBS. Oh well, it is what it is.
San Diego Fly Rides the dealer I bought my Nevo and Homage from, said that installation of the Nyon will not effect the warranty. I also spoke with Bosch North America and confirmed this.

It takes about ten minutes to change the controller. Not a big deal at all.
  1. Remove the controller from the handlebar (one screw)
  2. Remove the two bottom handlebar bracket parts from the display mount (4 screws)
  3. Detach the connection pad from the underside of the display mount (4 tiny screws)
  4. Make sure the red gasket is in its seat
  5. Attach the connection pad from the Nyon controller
  6. Attach the two bottom handle bar brackets
  7. Attach the controller

Last edited:
San Diego Fly Rides the dealer I bought my Nyon and Intuvia from, said that installation of the Nyon will not effect the warranty. I also spoke with Bosch North America and confirmed this.

2. Remove the two bottom handlebar bracket parts from the display mount (4 screws)
  3. Detach the connection pad from the underside of the display mount (4 tiny screws)
  7. Attach the controller
I also spoke with Bosch and they had no problem with me swapping out the Intuvia for the Nyon. And my LBS did some work on my bike and were totally into knowing all about the Nyon, so no problems there.
And as the Alaskan notes above, changing controllers is really quite simple, just have on hand a good mini screwdriver for the job. Also, I am not sure that the Nyon controller will not work with the Intuvia.
But in the end I doubt you'll be switching between the two units. The Nyon is a great unit, and, knock on wood, trouble free for over a year now and many miles!

San Diego Fly Rides the dealer I bought my Nyon and Intuvia from, said that installation of the Nyon will not effect the warranty. I also spoke with Bosch North America and confirmed this.

7. Attach the controller
Alaskan-Thanks for the heads up. I was under the impression that the Nyon units had to be purchased from Ebay or directly from a European source. I did not know a local US dealer would get involved with these. I figured wrong. My bad...

My Nyon has shipped ... supposed to be here next week. In the meantime, I have already thought of a couple of questions.

Will the odometer reset back to 0 when I replace the Intuvia with the new Nyon? Or is that information maintained somewhere outside the Intuvia? After I replace the Intuvia control with the Nyon control, can I still mount the Intuvia display and use it with the Nyon control? My thinking is that it would be a good idea to use the Intuvia occasionally to keep its internal battery charged.

Good question. I found out the hard way on my Easy Motion. Swapped out the side mount display for a new heads up center display and the system firmware rest itself back to zero miles when I had well over 2500 miles on the bike. Never even touched the controller either. Another strange phenomenon as I was told when I posted an inquiry. It is like involuntarily setting the mileage back on your car. Now the bike only has '700 miles' on it...

Alaskan-Thanks for the heads up. I was under the impression that the Nyon units had to be purchased from Ebay or directly from a European source. I did not know a local US dealer would get involved with these. I figured wrong. My bad...
Bob, My bad. I meant to say "San Diego Fly Rides the dealer I bought my NEVO and HOMAGE from" I have purchased my Nyons on eBay. I have edited/corrected my post.

The odometer does not reset to zero on a Bosch equipped bike when you install a Nyon. Your personal mileage as shown on you ebike connect portal dashboard starts at zero when you add the Nyon but the bike mileage is retained.

My thinking is that it would be a good idea to use the Intuvia occasionally to keep its internal battery charged.

The Intuvia thumb pad works just fine with the Nyon, should you choose this configuration. In fact, I rode once with the Intuvia a few days ago precisely for your stated reason. I am likely selling my bike, so checking that all is well. I may land up with a Kiox. Initially I will miss the Nyon, but as it is no longer offered for Eoropean bikes, all the development will be on the Kiox side, but I did enjoy the Nyon.

Not a strong advocate for either configuration, BTW. I am often not near home, so the idea of swapping in the Intuvia in the event of a Nyon mishap was always attractive. People have different priorities.

I have had my Nyon and controller in hand now for over a week, but I am still holding off on installing it until my LBS does their "free" 500 mile service on my Gazelle Arroyo. I intend to visit with them about the nyon when I do that to see how they react, but I don't want to risk them denying the service because I made modifications. I have over 500 miles on my bike, but am holding off on taking it in for the 500 mile service while the fall weather holds. I don't want my bike tied up at the LBS while I still have some good weather riding days. BUT ... it is really painful having the nyon and not being able to install it yet ... I am chomping at the bit to try it out ... but I will be patient. I plan on testing it out sometime in the next few weeks before I put my bike away for the winter.

Back