Nyon Retrofit

ALASKAN You are 100% correct. I recieved my Nyon controller from Italy today and it works perfectly. No more errors. And the controller is backwards compatible with the Intuvia.

ALASKAN you are awesome. I would have never done this without you or this forum. Your write up on the install is the reason why I had the confidence to do this; and your step by step process made it super easy. You also saveD me a ton of money. My total investment including shipping was $152.00 THANKS AGAIN!!!

Great to hear this kind of stuff on the forum! This is what makes the world go around, guys like Alaskan (and Court too) that are willing to help us all in need! Kudos to you guys and others here!

myke15- BTW-Your new Nyon looks awesome on your Felt Outfitter. Many happy and safe rides with the new interface. I am also in Chicago!

Great to hear this kind of stuff on the forum! This is what makes the world go around, guys like Alaskan (and Court too) that are willing to help us all in need! Kudos to you guys and others here!

myke15- BTW-Your new Nyon looks awesome on your Felt Outfitter. Many happy and safe rides with the new interface. I am also in Chicago!
@myke15 . You guys are too kind. Its fun figuring this stuff out and sharing with fellow ebike nuts. I'm glad it all worked out. For me the Nyon was the most useful, best bang for the buck upgrade I have made to my bike.

@Alaskan , again thank yo for helping us out in this thread.

For those of you who have their nyon controller installed and happen to have a voltimeter (even those $5 ones from home depot will be great) I really need the resistance values in between the pins when no key is pressed and when + or - or home button is pressed.

Here is the layout:

In intuvia controller1-2 are not connected, 2-3 has around 8.2k ohm resistance when no key is pressed, when a key is pressed it is around 1k ohm and less depending on different keys.

So this controller is only a switch (hence each resistance value is associated with a different key press). Now since 1-2 IS connected in Nyon controller, and intuition suggest it's value is determined by the thumbstick switch's resistance only, if I can get the exact value and if it is not changing when the other buttons are pressed (+,- are the important ones) then it is easy to bypass the controller check.

So I will appreciate it greatly if one of you can:

1. Measure resistance values between each pin pair, 1-2, 2-3 and 1-3 when no button is pressed.

2. Measure resistance values again between 1-2, 2-3 and 1-3 when + or - is pressed

So far I managed to bypass the 414 error, Nyon working properly except the assist level can not be changed.

thank you in advance to the kinds souls who will help me out on this.

Attachments

• pinlayout.png
    pinlayout.png
    246.4 KB · Views: 537

Bob,

What part of Chicago?

Another shout out to Alaskan for the Nyon retrofit procedure. I finally got around to replacing my Intuvia with the new Nyon. It went according to plan following Alaskan's guide. I did not get any error with the initial power up, and no update. My device shows version 1.6.0.2, so maybe it already has the latest software. My LBS recently updated the Bosch software on my bike as part of their free tune-up, so I think I am good to go. It took me a while to figure out how to remove the California map that came preinstalled on my Nyon and download the map for my state, but I eventually got it done. I still have a lot to learn about all the features of the Nyon and how to best use it when riding. Winter has set in here, so it will probably be next spring before I can give it a good try out. If we get a decent day before then, I am looking forward to taking the Nyon for a test ride. I wish there was a way to import the odometer stats from the Intuvia.

Another shout out to Alaskan for the Nyon retrofit procedure. I finally got around to replacing my Intuvia with the new Nyon. It went according to plan following Alaskan's guide. I did not get any error with the initial power up, and no update. My device shows version 1.6.0.2, so maybe it already has the latest software. My LBS recently updated the Bosch software on my bike as part of their free tune-up, so I think I am good to go. It took me a while to figure out how to remove the California map that came preinstalled on my Nyon and download the map for my state, but I eventually got it done. I still have a lot to learn about all the features of the Nyon and how to best use it when riding. Winter has set in here, so it will probably be next spring before I can give it a good try out. If we get a decent day before then, I am looking forward to taking the Nyon for a test ride. I wish there was a way to import the odometer stats from the Intuvia.
Glad it worked out well. Bosch just announced a firmware update for the Nyon and an update for the app. Due out at the end of November

The bike's miles are retained in the motor and are one of the data options for the custom screens.

Glad it worked out well. Bosch just announced a firmware update for the Nyon and an update for the app. Due out at the end of November

The bike's miles are retained in the motor and are one of the data options for the custom screens.

You can display the mileage in the settings screen.

Attachments

• 20181112_231125.jpg
    20181112_231125.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 492
Thanks Alaskan and myke15 for the information about the odometer reading being a persistent data value when upgrading the display from Intuvia to Nyon.

I was also happy to learn that I can operate the old Intuvia display using the Nyon controller. That will make it easier to just swap the Intuvia back into service if my LBS gives me grief about installing the Nyon.

Do you know how the Nyon gets the elevation reading? ... from the GPS? from map data? or does it have a barometric altimeter? The fact that it needs to be set at known elevation prior to starting a ride makes me think it has a barometric altimeter, and that calibrates the elevation reading based on the current barometric pressure. Setting at a known elevation is a calibration method used on Garmin handhelds that have barometric altimeters.

One thing I did learn is that replacing the Intuvia with the Nyon did not enable the "Walk mode". Gazelle has this disabled and I wondered if that restriction was in the display computer or in the motor electronics. Apparently it is the latter.

Has anyone installed the latest eBike Connect App? The new version is 2.0.3.3 and was released by Bosch on 12/03/2018

Details from Bosch:
https://appcenter.bosch.com/details/-/app/BoscheBikeConnect

Details for Android users:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bosch.ebike

I downloaded my APK from the following place:
https://m.apkpure.com/bosch-ebike-connect/com.bosch.ebike/download?from=details

I haven't connected the Nyon to my phone yet withthe updated app. It looks like I have to update the Nyon unit before I can connect it.

I've update 3 Nyons, installed the new Android app from the same source and connected with the reworked web portal. Everything works without glitches. The only hiccup is the new app reads out all metric with no apparent way to switch to imperial. If anyone figures out how to display mph, please post it.

Did everyone get the e-mail from Bosch with the subject line "Nyon - Terms and Conditions of Use", regarding the changes to the eBike Connect Terms of Use agreement taking place on Jan. 10? Did you read through it? Is there anything in there to be concerned about?

I've update 3 Nyons, installed the new Android app from the same source and connected with the reworked web portal. Everything works without glitches. The only hiccup is the new app reads out all metric with no apparent way to switch to imperial. If anyone figures out how to display mph, please post it.

I finally updated my Nyon and connected it to my bike. Everything works fine, but I too noticed the switch to kilometers only on my app. The Nyon and website display miles, but the app does not have any option to change it. WTF?

Please let me know if anyone finds something as it makes the app rather useless to me.

Did everyone get the e-mail from Bosch with the subject line "Nyon - Terms and Conditions of Use", regarding the changes to the eBike Connect Terms of Use agreement taking place on Jan. 10? Did you read through it? Is there anything in there to be concerned about?

Someone actually reads those things? Lol

The Intuvia thumb pad works just fine with the Nyon, should you choose this configuration. In fact, I rode once with the Intuvia a few days ago precisely for your stated reason. I am likely selling my bike, so checking that all is well. I may land up with a Kiox. Initially I will miss the Nyon, but as it is no longer offered for Eoropean bikes, all the development will be on the Kiox side, but I did enjoy the Nyon.

Hello.
I have the intuvia display and controler. My ebike is a cube hybrid from 2015 with performance line.
So, can i just buy a nyon display and still can use the intuvia controler? Or can i use the Nyon without controler?
Regards

Last edited:
Hello.
I have the intuvia display and controler. My ebike is a cube hybrid from 2015 with performance line.
So, can i just buy a nyon display and still can use the intuvia controler?
Regards
If you go back in this thread and read it thoroughly, you will find the answer is no. If you want it to be trouble free you will need the Nyon controller as well, available from Euro bike shops for $60 plus shipping.

Last edited:
Hello.
So, can i just buy a nyon display and still can use the intuvia controler? Or can i use the Nyon without controler?
Regards

There are two versions of the Intuvia switch. The older one, which I suspect you have, has wires soldered to two of the three gold contacts on the pcb. This one does not work. The more recent one has wires soldered to all three gold contacts, as does the Nyon switch. This version works just fine, despite claims to the contrary.

Hello.
I made the question because dblhelix in post #118 told that.
But, can i use nyon without any controler?
And, about the support/fixing. Do i need to change it?
Regards

Hello.
I made the question because dblhelix in post #118 told that.
But, can i use nyon without any controler?
And, about the support/fixing. Do i need to change it?
Regards
I do not think the Nyon would be very useful without a controller. With the Bosch system the assist level is set at the controller on the left side of the handlebar. There is no place on the Nyon to set the assist level. Apparently some have had success using the Intuvia controller with the Nyon, but I still prefer the full functionality and safer operation the Nyon controller provides.

On another note, I used to smoke a pipe and was a quite serious collector. There is a well respected pipe maker from Portugal who learned the craft in Denmark. He shares your name Joao Reis. https://pipedia.org/wiki/Reis

Joao_Reis_Pipe02.jpg

I do not think the Nyon would be very useful without a controller. With the Bosch system the assist level is set at the controller on the left side of the handlebar. There is no place on the Nyon to set the assist level. Apparently some have had success using the Intuvia controller with the Nyon, but I still prefer the full functionality and safer operation the Nyon controller provides.

On another note, I used to smoke a pipe and was a quite serious collector. There is a well respected pipe maker from Portugal who learned the craft in Denmark. He shares your name Joao Reis. https://pipedia.org/wiki/Reis

View attachment 28232

Hello
In fact, i was thinking bad.
Did not notice/remember that i could not change the assist level without the controller.
I could use a garmin gps but i would really prefer the nyon display.
I will start searching for a display and nyon controller.

PS - Joao Reis is a very common name in Portugal. :)

Back