Nyon Retrofit

Hello all! This is my first post here.

I have a Felt Outfitter with the Bosch Intuvia; and Bosch Performance line motor.

I bought a Nyon on Ebay for about $100.00. Mine also looks almost new with the plastic still on the screen.

I set up the new Nyon. Charged it, connected wifi & Bluetooth, updated it and installed the most recent app on my android phone. When I connected it to the bike it gives me a 414 error and say it is not for my model eBike. It then turns itself off. When I go through the menu it has my bike model and mileage and looks like it got some data from my bike. Please help. I ordered the Nyon controller from an ebay seller in Italy; but it has not shown up yet.

Best regards,

- Mike

Attachments

• 20181017_171203.jpg
    20181017_171203.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 461
  • Felt_Bicycles_2016_Outfitter.jpg
    Felt_Bicycles_2016_Outfitter.jpg
    536.1 KB · Views: 573
Yes, you need the Nyon controller. I had the same issue. Once the new controller is hooked up you should be good to go!
Welcome to the forum! It has been a great help for myself and others and it is nice to be able to help others.

Mike good to see you here. Sorry I had to jump to a call I was waiting for. As tallpaul said. The issue should go away once you attach the matching controller.

Yes, you need the Nyon controller. I had the same issue. Once the new controller is hooked up you should be good to go!
Welcome to the forum! It has been a great help for myself and others and it is nice to be able to help others.

Can I run it without any controller hooked up?

I will have my dealer update my firmware if it persists after I install the controller.

Can people who got the 414 error tell us the firmware version on their bicycles?

I suspect that nyon actually talks to the controller on the motor rather then checking the controller itself.

As I said, three bikes, three Nyon installs with controller...no errors or issues. Just be patient until everything is in hand.

As I said, three bikes, three Nyon installs with controller...no errors or issues. Just be patient until everything is in hand.
Alaskan your help is very much appreciated. (I think you are responding to Mike here )

However this is something that bothers me, that controller is just a $5 switch and I have to order it from Europe and pay almost $90. We are not even talking about dust/weather proof controllers here(I see several people having to clean or repair their controllers because dust etc. got in them).

I actually managed to bypass the 414 error and get readouts for battery percentage and speed (but for now I prefer not to promote the method since it is not perfect , changing the assist levels is still problematic) and I am almost certain that it is a firmware issue.

So far I have to say it is slow, buggy. Even when it is not on the bike , when you press the power button sometimes it shuts down sometimes it doesn't, the interface is not fluid , joystick is not very intuitive, feels awkward etc.

Actually this device is quite inferior to $80 entry level smart phones(any of those Go phones come with more sensors, higher resolution touch screen, cameras faster processors , more storage etc). And the worst part is even if you pay the ridiculous full price of $400+ you will have to go through hoops just to get their additional software like "custom rides" in the States.

Well back to the question for those of you who are getting 414 with nyon and intuvia controller, is your firmware up to date or is it some previous version like mine?

(the most recent firmware are as follows:
Purion: 1.3.0.0
Intuvia: 5.8.1.0
Nyon 2015: 1.6.0.2
Nyon from 2016: 2.6.0.2
PowerPack and PowerTube: 1.8.0.0
Drive Unit: 1.8.0.0
)

Here is all the info I could find.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181110-200900_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20181110-200900_Chrome.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 533
  • Screenshot_20181110-200919_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20181110-200919_Chrome.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 407
  • Screenshot_20181110-200908_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20181110-200908_Chrome.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 409
It looks like my Nyon is up to date. Not sure about my drive unit, doesn't it depend on the model?

As I thought your Drive unit software is also old like mine. Mine is almost the same , driver 1.5.1.0 etc.

It seems the most up to date one is 1.8.0, yours and mine are both 1.5.1.0 , (my bike is a 2016 leftover). What model year is your bike (Guessing 2016)?

Btw in a blog on internet from 2015 a bike shop retrofits the nyon and even with the joystick controller they were having 414. They played with the drive unit software (this is a bikeshop so they have the diagnostic dongle) to resolve the issue.

If you will do the firmware update would you be kind enough to try nyon with the original controller first after the update to see if it works?

: Maybe TallPaul would also share his Drive Unit software version, I bet his software is also and older one.

Last edited:
As I thought your Drive unit software is also old like mine. Mine is almost the same , driver 1.5.1.0 etc.

It seems the most up to date one is 1.8.0, yours and mine are both 1.5.1.0 , (my bike is a 2016 leftover). What model year is your bike (Guessing 2016)?

Btw in a blog on internet from 2015 a bike shop retrofits the nyon and even with the joystick controller they were having 414. They played with the drive unit software (this is a bikeshop so they have the diagnostic dongle) to resolve the issue.

If you will do the firmware update would you be kind enough to try nyon with the original controller first after the update to see if it works?

: Maybe TallPaul would also share his Drive Unit software version, I bet his software is also and older one.

I'm not sure what year it is. How do I find out? It is either a 2015, 2016, or 2017. I bought it as a new old model about a month ago.

It depends on which comes first, a trip to the bike shop or my controller from Italy. I'll post what happenes.

Ok so today I went to a local bike shop for the firmware update. It was pleasant, updated my firmware to the latest, emtb etc. unfortunately that did not solve the problem so don't do the update 1.8.0.0 just to make nyon work.

I also now know that use of Nyon does not leave any codes on the drive unit etc . The error 414 is only stored in Nyon. Well I have also heard some complaints about Bosch. I may write it on a different thread.

Last edited:
One more request. Can someone try Intuvia with Nyon controller to see if it works.

I realized that Intuvia controller is using just two of the three gold connections, the nyon controller uses all three. I was wondering if the first two are wired the same way, if so Intuvia should work with Nyon controller.

What make and model bike do you have?

What make and model bike do you have?
2016 Xduro cross rc.

Well it is possible that the newercontrollers share the same pcb (Nyon and Intuvia) and the intuvia one just lacks the thumbstick cover.

In any case it is Bosch making lives harder by putting more layers to make people pay $80 for $4 switches or preventing people from using their Nyon displays on different bikes.

If someone cleaned their Nyon controller it would be great to see a photo of the pcb of the controller. I wonder if there is a chip just to talk to Nyon and prevent intuvia controller from working.

I am also very curious whether intuvia display works with Nyon controller. At least that would confirm that the wirings of the + - switches are the same.

I hope they change their ways for kiox display and on.

Well, I took my Gazelle Arroyo into the LBS today for the "free" new bike 500 mile tune-up. While I was there I talked to two tech's about their thoughts on upgrading to the Nyon. One of them had never heard of it, the other had heard of it but has never seen one. As I suspected, they both recommended against the upgrade, so I guess I will be "on my own" for installing the Nyon, and uninstalling it if I ever need to have the Bosch components serviced at the LBS. If I take the bike in for anything else, I will leave the Nyon in place as I think they would be hard pressed to blame the Nyon upgrade for anything beyond the Bosch components. Maybe once they see it they will change their attitude.

I am supposed to get my bike back in the next day or two, so I will proceed at that time with the Nyon upgrade and post back with the results or any problems I encounter.

One more request. Can someone try Intuvia with Nyon controller to see if it works.

I realized that Intuvia controller is using just two of the three gold connections, the nyon controller uses all three. I was wondering if the first two are wired the same way, if so Intuvia should work with Nyon controller.
My Intuvia works perfectly with the Nyon controller. The joystick does nothing, the home button replaces the info button.

ALASKAN You are 100% correct. I recieved my Nyon controller from Italy today and it works perfectly. No more errors. And the controller is backwards compatible with the Intuvia.

ALASKAN you are awesome. I would have never done this without you or this forum. Your write up on the install is the reason why I had the confidence to do this; and your step by step process made it super easy. You also saveD me a ton of money. My total investment including shipping was $152.00 THANKS AGAIN!!!

Attachments

• 20181112_231203.jpg
    20181112_231203.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 553
  • 20181112_231146.jpg
    20181112_231146.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 461
Last edited:
Mike good to see you here. Sorry I had to jump to a call I was waiting for. As tallpaul said. The issue should go away once you attach the matching controller.

You are correct. I received my controller from Italy today. (It took forever to get here) Everything worked perfectly once installed.

Back