Nyon Retrofit

I meant to say if you have a Purion to start with, you'll need the Intuvia base in addition to the Nyon and the Nyon controller.

To find the Nyon on ebay just search "Nyon Bosch". Then search for "Nyon controller". Both items should total just under $200 with shipping. The final search is "bosch intuvia display holder"

Not having ridden a Powerfly, I am not prepared to recommend performance tweaks. Also the sprocket and cassette mods I made on my Cube were to a Diore 8000 11 speed.

Thanks.

I need to ride it before I can really tell if it needs upgrading. My LBS has a no-hassle, 30 day return policy.

I wonder if I can ride it for 1.25 miles up a continuous 2% grade without power? That would be the worst case for me, if the battery were inoperable.

I could get the R&M Super Charger up to 27mph from a dead stop, in the parking lot, with the power off. So, the R&M ride like very nice pedal bikes, too.

Thanks.

I need to ride it before I can really tell if it needs upgrading. My LBS has a no-hassle, 30 day return policy.

I wonder if I can ride it for 1.25 miles up a continuous 2% grade without power? That would be the worst case for me, if the battery were inoperable.

I could get the R&M Super Charger up to 27mph from a dead stop, in the parking lot, with the power off. So, the R&M ride like very nice pedal bikes, too.

From your experience and riding style, how many miles do you expect from a 500wh Bosch battery ?
Is 15,000 miles unrealistic? 500 charges x 30 miles per charge.

If you have the Intuvia on your bike already then all you'll need in addition to the the Nyon is the Nyon specific remote controller that will connect to the bottom of the Intuvia mount with its 4 teeny little screws replacing the Intuvias remote connector. Then you should be ready to go. The Nyon will not work with the Intuvia remote controller. Attached a pic of my setup, the remote cable is the one on the right as you look at the underside of the base mount for the Nyon.

I find the feature to configure cadence and battery power for the different modes very attractive.
  1. Have you tried the feature?
  2. Can you extend battery life by configuring the parameters?
My cadence is very consistent around 95. When i hit about 7.5% grade, i find my cadence drops somewhat. It also means i drop down to first gear. I hate being in first gear. I do everything i can to shift gears as soon as possible. Configuring the motor for the lowest few gears could really help me get out of the low gears.

My Garmin cadence device broke last year. I never replaced it. It would be helpful if my cadence always remained above 90. I hated when my cadence dropped to 80. Rarely did my cadence ever rise above 105.

Does anyone know if the Nyon works with the Apple Watch heart rate monitor?

I do not know. But it seems possible.

Bluetooth®connection to a heart rate monitor possible -- page 8

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Seems unlikely p.20. Only Polar listed in this manual.

The compatible heart rate monitors are listed in the table below. Polar H7
1533506367448.png

Manufacturer Compatible heart rate monitors
1533506367498.png

The manual says Nyon will automatically try to connect. Would you need an app on your watch, or does the Apple Health app send that data?

If you need to download an app from the app store, your country may be restricted, e.g., USA. I do not how you could workaround that.

The manual says Nyon will automatically try to connect. Would you need an app on your watch, or does the Apple Health app send that data?

If you need to download an app from the app store, your country may be restricted, e.g., USA. I do not how you could workaround that.
Right now I use Strava, which has an Apple Watch app, it the watch HRM would work with the phone app even if the Watch app is not activated.

3 Bosch powered bikes (2 R&M 1 Cube) each with over 1,000 miles...zero electrical or power related issues to date. Just what I was hoping for when i chose to go Bosch.

3 Bosch powered bikes (2 R&M 1 Cube) each with over 1,000 miles...zero electrical or power related issues to date. Just what I was hoping for when i chose to go Bosch.

I agree. I am buying Trek, Bosch and my LBS service. I am buying reliability.

But how many charges do you expect?
How times have you charged your battery?
What is your average mileage per charge?

I wonder how many years i can expect the battery to last, before replacing it.

It does not work with my Samsung gear watch heart rate monitor. According to the manual the most reliable connection is to Polar chest strap type monitor which is what I use. Once paired it has connected and records every time.

For Android users here is a better download source for the current Nyon app - https://apkpure.com/bosch-ebike-connect/com.bosch.ebike

So if I understand your point, the question is whether Strava or the Apple Health app works with Nyon, right?

I doubt the Apple Health app is compatible, based on the manual.

I would search online to see if Strava is compatible with Nyon in the UK or Germany. I think that has a good chance. You would not find USA support, because Nyon is not sold in the US.

It might retrieve data from your iPhone, not watch. Search online.

Last edited:
It does not work with my Samsung gear watch heart rate monitor. According to the manual the most reliable connection is to Polar chest strap type monitor which is what I use. Once paired it has connected and records every time.

For Android users here is a better download source for the current Nyon app - https://apkpure.com/bosch-ebike-connect/com.bosch.ebike

How often does Bosch release firmware updates for Nyon?

I assume Bosch would try to release an iPhone version, too. Lots of apple watches sold. Helps Bosch sell Nyon.

How often does Bosch release firmware updates for Nyon?

I assume Bosch would try to release an iPhone version, too. Lots of apple watches sold. Helps Bosch sell Nyon.
Last Nyon app udate was almost a year ago. One added advantage of the Nyon is that it updated system firmware so you needn't go to an authorized repair shop when its time to update firmware. I was able to update to the new firmware with EMTB on my Cube simply using my Nyon mounted on the bike, at home connected to wifi.

Last Nyon app udate was almost a year ago. One added advantage of the Nyon is that it updated system firmware so you needn't go to an authorized repair shop when its time to update firmware. I was able to update to the new firmware with EMTB on my Cube simply using my Nyon mounted on the bike, at home connected to wifi.

Wifi is a nice feature. Seems like they have a new release for the 2019 models, then?

The Trek Powerfly 2019s are now available. I assume the PowerTube support will cause a new firmware release, even if you have another battery model.

Do you have a feel for Bosch firmware updates compared to other motors? Seems like Bosch tries to differentiate itself from the competition with firmware/software. Or, is that a mistaken impression?

The Nyon connects with home wifi immediately upon return from a ride. By the time I have the bike put away it has synched with my ebike-connect portal. I can go back to any past day or ride and call up complete data. The chart can show any two of speed, altitude, heart rate, cadence, or my power output at any point along the track. dragging the data point across the chart moves the little bike on the map to the corresponding spot.

The Nyon connects with home wifi immediately upon return from a ride. By the time I have the bike put away it has synched with my ebike-connect portal. I can go back to any past day or ride and call up complete data. The chart can show any two of speed, altitude, heart rate, cadence, or my power output at any point along the track. dragging the data point across the chart moves the little bike on the map to the corresponding spot.

I really like charting cadence and power. Are you viewing the map on Nyon, or another computer? I assume another computer.

How much Nyon memory do you recommend?

Is Bosch a super conservative company? The Nyon seems to add so much extra value. I wish I understood Bosch's attitude towards the USA market. Is the USA simply too small to bother with?

Or, does the push have to come from the USA bike manufacturers? Or do the car manufacturers dominate so much that ebikes are relegated to a small domain?

Basically, Bosch can charge whatever they want. The profit on a $1000 battery pack must be enormous. My understanding is they can sell as many as they can produce. And they produce all they are capable of.

I have only owned Bosch bikes so I can only repeat what I have read and heard...no first hand knowledge.
I really like charting cadence and power. Are you viewing the map on Nyon, or another computer? I assume another computer.

How much Nyon memory do you recommend?
I view it on my pc or android app. The $100 ones on ebay are 1gig. New ones are 8gig. I have all maps for Washington and British Columbia at .8 gig.

I have only owned Bosch bikes so I can only repeat what I have read and heard...no first hand knowledge.

I view it on my pc or android app. The $100 ones on ebay are 1gig. New ones are 8gig. I have all maps for Washington and British Columbia at .8 gig.

Unfortunately, i am kinda boring. I take the same basic routes, depending upon the weather. All of the routes are beautiful. I am focused on speed. I wear contacts, so reading a map is hard.

How do the maps help you? Seems like you explore a vast territory? Or, do you merely use the maps to collect data?

Back