Nyon MY21 - Initial Thoughts

I think the problem is that Bosch is so eurocentric that they don't want to invest to get a decent USA biking database.
Makes sense. Do to avoid constant frustration I just expect not to relay on the built-in navigation in Bosch displays (and this is the reason I see Nyon 21 not worth the price asked).

Makes sense. Do to avoid constant frustration I just expect not to relay on the built-in navigation in Bosch displays (and this is the reason I see Nyon 21 not worth the price asked).
I have the smartphone hub, same routing issues, so I don't use it for routing, just navi. I do my routes separately. I like ridewithgps's routing system best, so I plan routes there. To get them to my device, I need to go through Komoot, another eurocentric app, then to cobi.bike. If I ever needed to re-route while on the road, I'd do it on my phone, then hotspot to get it to my bike.

I have the smartphone hub, same routing issues, so I don't use it for routing, just navi. I do my routes separately. I like ridewithgps's routing system best, so I plan routes there. To get them to my device, I need to go through Komoot, another eurocentric app, then to cobi.bike. If I ever needed to re-route while on the road, I'd do it on my phone, then hotspot to get it to my bike.
Yes, similar stuff. I prepared some routes in Komoot and so far it worked pretty well. SmartphoneHub doesn't have integration with RideWithGPS which is sad :( I am currently trying Garmin Edge 520+ for navigation purposes - it can import routes directly from RideWithGPS and also provides better navigation UI than SmartphoneHub. The concept of Cobi with ability to integrate custom solutions is great, however due to the limited exposure of the hardware it supports (SmartphoneHub) there are no useful modules for the US users there.

Edge 520+, there is no plus version of 530 (at least yet). I was considering 530, but since it doesn't have that many benefits over 520+, I decided to take 520+ instead.
Ah, my bad. For one, do you ever ride in gloves? If yes, the button version is more practical (that's why I mentioned the 530).

Ah, my bad. For one, do you ever ride in gloves? If yes, the button version is more practical (that's why I mentioned the 530).
520 and 530 are almost identical from the buttons/UI prospective. Main differences are faster CPU in 530 and some more fancy sensors/health-related stuff which I don't need. So both are great to control in gloves and small enough to be mounted on the limited space.

Attachments

• garmin_520+.jpg
    garmin_520+.jpg
    782.1 KB · Views: 182
I have to have a touch screen using the buttons is so cumbersome after using the touch screen. got the 1013+ easy to see and its loud so I can hear the radar and the altimeter is pretty good too.

Yes, similar stuff. I prepared some routes in Komoot and so far it worked pretty well. SmartphoneHub doesn't have integration with RideWithGPS which is sad :( I am currently trying Garmin Edge 520+ for navigation purposes - it can import routes directly from RideWithGPS and also provides better navigation UI than SmartphoneHub. The concept of Cobi with ability to integrate custom solutions is great, however due to the limited exposure of the hardware it supports (SmartphoneHub) there are no useful modules for the US users there.
The only reason I use cobi.bike is because it uses motor information, like my power output. cobi.bike seems to have a published api and a free development kit "The COBI.Bike Devkit is available to all app users and it is free to use for personal projects." but the developer forum hasn't had a post since November, 2020, so we can presume further work is dead. It's too bad it has been abandoned by Bosch, because it has (had?) a lot of potential.

And yes, if my ship comes in, so to speak, I'm thinking about a Kiox upgrade. I worry though, about what might NOT work with a Performance Speed DU, since CX seems to be getting all the attention.

Did you mean 1030+? Darn expensive.
ya but it works well and its practical 450 on sale. butthe 830 is only a little cheaper and harder to see. have the explore my wife uses and its full of bugs. like if I put it on power saver mode it pops up with a screen saying how to save power and the screen stays up the whole ride because she cant see it. locking the screen does not actually lock it.

ya but it works well and its practical 450 on sale. butthe 830 is only a little cheaper and harder to see. have the explore my wife uses and its full of bugs. like if I put it on power saver mode it pops up with a screen saying how to save power and the screen stays up the whole ride because she cant see it. locking the screen does not actually lock it.
I doubt you can operate the 1030+ in gloves?

The only reason I use cobi.bike is because it uses motor information, like my power output. cobi.bike seems to have a published api and a free development kit "The COBI.Bike Devkit is available to all app users and it is free to use for personal projects." but the developer forum hasn't had a post since November, 2020, so we can presume further work is dead. It's too bad it has been abandoned by Bosch, because it has (had?) a lot of potential.
Bosch now has 3 different software/hardware integration platforms and 3 apps: The COBI.Bike, Bosch eBike Connect and The eBike Flow. This is way too much and I believe COBI.Bike is dead now :( (even I agree it had a potential). Bosch eBike Connect is now legacy app for old platform and The eBike Flow is a future.
And yes, if my ship comes in, so to speak, I'm thinking about a Kiox upgrade. I worry though, about what might NOT work with a Performance Speed DU, since CX seems to be getting all the attention.
Any reason you think Kiox won't work with Performance Speed? According to own Bosch compatibility matrix, Kiox is compatible with all the current motors. You have different information regarding the compatibility?

Bosch now has 3 different software/hardware integration platforms and 3 apps: The COBI.Bike, Bosch eBike Connect and The eBike Flow. This is way too much and I believe COBI.Bike is dead now :( (even I agree it had a potential). Bosch eBike Connect is now legacy app for old platform and The eBike Flow is a future.

Any reason you think Kiox won't work with Performance Speed? According to own Bosch compatibility matrix, Kiox is compatible with all the current motors. You have different information regarding the compatibility?
I suspect it's compatible, but I don't know if all features will work, such as the ability to customize motor assist levels. Given what I've seen from Bosch since I bought my bike (hint: nothing for either cobi.bike or Performance Speed) I'm slightly wary, especially at the price.

I don't know if I should be more disappointed in Trek or in Bosch for sticking me with a dead end, low performance, obsolete system like the smartphone hub. I suspect Trek got a great deal on the smartphone hub, and Bosch got to unload a lot of obsolete inventory.

I suspect it's compatible, but I don't know if all features will work, such as the ability to customize motor assist levels.
OK, got it. I don't really care that much - build-in 4 modes are sufficient for my usage. However overall I see Kiox as a most balanced display Bosch currently has (Nyon is way to expensive and not really worth the price).

Nyon sync the weather page via bluetooth when the phone is connected. Given that you have to have the phone with you to get current weather, it is just as easy and way more customizable to just get weather info on the phone via your preferred app. Mine is Windy,
Thank you, thank you. With the Bosch connect app opened on my phone to the My e-bike page and the phone close enough for blue tooth, it worked perfectly! Now I can see the weather without having to look up at the sky! Don't know how we ever survived without it! 😉

Back