Nyon MY21 - Initial Thoughts

Nyon Bluetooth Connection Woes - Solved!

Over the past month, I've struggled mightily with the Nyon Bluetooth connection to my phone. The Nyon connects to my heart rate monitor flawlessly, but would often fail to connect to my phone, or randomly (so it seemed) disconnect. I went through the process of forgetting the devices on both my phone and the Nyon over and over, reconnecting, failing, disconnecting, restarting ... oh woe is me. I felt like one of those crazy people who keeps doing the same thing over and over despite it not working!

I even called Bosch twice about the issue. They answer the phone and are very responsive, but not terribly familiar with the product as it is so new in this country. They absolutely get an A for effort. :) Anyhow, as it turns out, the Nyon will only connect and stay connected to the phone when the Bosch eBike Connect app is opened. So there you have it! Why it took me so long to figure that out, is a mystery. I will say that it is not mentioned in the manual, and neither of the Bosch techs I spoke to was aware of that requirement. But now it works, and we're all happy. I will update the Bosch tech support with this information.
ya I found that out on the kiox from here I think but I had the same issue with my HRM. found out you have to to turn on the Kiox first for it to connect every time.

Reactions: A K
I j

I do wish the Nyon would allow importing more file types, I would like to import Fit or TCX files made in Ride GPS.

I did make a route in Komoot with some off grid routing by using clicking in waypoints along a logging trail I wished to follow, I have not been able to ride it to see how well it works.
export them in gpx format from ride gps

Bosch Nyon upgrade kits to replace Kiox - now available
Bosch Nyon Retrofit Kit including holder, control unit and Handlebar shims
I wonder how this is different then from the full thing? it had the control wire too. not really hard to do you need a torx driver for it.

I wonder how this is different then from the full thing? it had the control wire too. not really hard to do you need a torx driver for it.

I believe that the full conversion kit (from basic displays like the Purion) include the wiring harness. This does not, as the Nyon and the Kiox use the same harness back to the motor.

Last edited:
I believe that the full conversion kit (from basic displays like the Purion) include the wiring harness. This does not, as the Nyon and the Kiosk use the same harness back to the motor.
it came with the main wire to the motor and the remote. I expected the main wire to not be included but it was. that will make selling the kiox easier.

@William - Bosch Team This was posted on the Facebook Riese & Muller group today by a rider in Denmark. Has he correctly identified a possible cause for the problems in navigation that people outside of Germany have been experiencing with getting their Nyon to route them correctly on bike lanes and paths because that is verbotten with high speed bikes in Germany?

"As I’ve mentioned before the gps is not only crap but absolutely useless if you’re on a HS bike. It will only allow directions on main roads and therefore it will convert any route you make in a third party app to a route without bike paths or forest routes. It’s the law in Germany apparently so they just make this a standard on the Nyon instead of customizing them for different markets like they do with the motors. In Denmark HS bikes can go wherever normal bikes can go but I’m stuck with using my phone because of this intrusive limitation that neither R&M or Bosch advertise anywhere
😤
"
Thanks Alaskan. This explains a lot.

I use two separate rail trails on my commute to work on my Trek 8S. EbikeConnect's mapping system would not let me pre-map the second trail which is in a town that does not allow Class 3 bikes on its trails. However, it's not physically posted or enforced. I doubt the town's law is the real reason I cannot get the routing software to recognize the trail, but the German-Centricity of the software could explain it.

Last night I imported the ride from Komoot into EbikeConnect . It imported but said there would be no turn-by-turn notifications because the route contained sections not recognized as roads (or something like that).

This morning I imported the same recorded ride from Strava, and it seems to work. I'll know better when I commute after the holiday weekend.

If you say Richard the new Nyon can display the Motor/Biker's Power Ratio then I'm completely bought!

(Well, the display is the feature that cannot be taken off the handlebars and tucked into jersey back-pocket. Smartphone can. Think e-MTB).
Well, my friend, you asked for it and here it is!

Note the middle row is a display of average rider versus engine power. As the ride progresses, the circle in the middle shows a changing color graphic pie chart split between average rider and engine wattage. In addition the Nyon is affixed to its mount by a spring loaded latch system that is totally secure and rattle free. To remove the Nyon from the mount, which is how the motor disabling lockout feature is activated, one simply pushes in on a latch tab at the top, behind the Nyon, tilts it back the lifts it out. The motor makes a little woot tone to indicate that the lockout feature is activated. Upon replacement it makes a woot woot so you know the Nyon is secured and that the motor is reactivated.

The old Nyon is an excellent bit of kit. The new one is extremely well thought out and even better. Not to say it is beyond improvement. I have made a few suggestions to the USA Bosch team about adding metrics to the already numerous custom options (example: the old one had the option of displaying watt hours per mile, both current and average, which I found quite valuable as the ebike equivalent of miles per galleon, It is not available on the new Nyon but should be). The more I use it the more I like it.
20210529_080533.jpg

In addition the Nyon is affixed to its mount by a spring loaded latch system that is totally secure and rattle free. To remove the Nyon from the mount, which is how the motor disabling lockout feature is activated, one simply pushes in on a latch tab at the top, behind the Nyon, tilts it back the lifts it out.
I have detached & attached my Intuvia literally a 1000 plus times over the last few years with no problems whatsoever, cleaned the contacts with Iso Propyl Alcohol 3 times (problems not due to the mount). How do you think the new Nyon would go in the long run?

I have detached & attached my Intuvia literally a 1000 plus times over the last few years with no problems whatsoever, cleaned the contacts with Iso Propyl Alcohol 3 times (problems not due to the mount). How do you think the new Nyon would go in the long run?
Even better as it is a friction free latch mechanism.

I use this on my contacts https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P1C8UO/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_9?smid=A1TFBK3C7LO58P&psc=1
but why take it off there is a little screw that goes in back that will lock it in place so it wont be stolen.
I've used Iso Propyl Alcohol on Gold plated contacts since, well forever and it's cheap, works & leaves nothing behind. No need for anti-corrosion stuff on Gold as it doesn't corrode much :)
Leaving the display on the bike along with 2 locked batteries for me is too much temptation towards a complete ebike to steal, i know you can get displays separate but...

I've used Iso Propyl Alcohol on Gold plated contacts since, well forever and it's cheap, works & leaves nothing behind. No need for anti-corrosion stuff on Gold as it doesn't corrode much :)
Leaving the display on the bike along with 2 locked batteries for me is too much temptation towards a complete ebike to steal, i know you can get displays separate but...
I agree. I don't generally leave my bike unattended, but I hadn't really considered this downside of the SPH with the display integrated into the mount. Now I have to be prepared to pull the battery if Im going to leave the bike.

Before anyone mentions this going off-topic, i ask because i have a CX Gen2 and therefore the "Lock" feature will not work if i get the Nyon.
As i mainly JUST want the Custom Ride Modes and it doesn't look like that feature is coming to the Kiox or SPH anytime soon i'm considering the new Nyon and would like to take it off the bike everytime as a Pseudo anti-theft feature.

Last edited:
I had glitches in the battery connection oj our tandem this took care of it. I also water proofed a garage door remote so I can carry it on the bike and rain wont hurt it.

ok the HRM works now and it finally synced. so all is good I guess. here is the screw if you use this the nyon and kiox cant be removed. the top middle screw.
15C1D597-AE60-4B0F-B500-BF71B8CAA0DF_1_105_c.jpeg

Anyone else having lost HRM connection after riding more than an hour or two? It isn’t the HRM - I bought a new one, of a different brand, just in case. The window with the live value just goes blank... frustrating when trying to hold a steady pulse on longer rides.

I just went through a frustrating period getting my HR monitor (Polar Verity) to connect to the Nyon. I think I sorted it out. Here is my experience:

When I first got the Nyon, the Polar connected flawlessly ... but at that point, I was not connected to my iPhone, as I hadn't yet figured out that the Bluetooth connection to the phone failed unless the eBike Connect app was open. Once I got that sorted out, I started having problems with the Polar connection. Sigh. It would show as connected, but wouldn’t display my heart rate. Again, after too many hours of fiddling around, I think I've resolved the connection problem. It appears to be sequence-related. I can reliably get everything working if I do it in this sequence:
  1. Turn on the Nyon
  2. Turn on the HR monitor -- confirm connection
  3. Open eBike Connect App, and connect Nyon to phone
  4. Bingo! Everything's working.
Is it possible that you took a break during your ride and then tried to reconnect in a sequence that the Nyon didn't like?

I do not have any consistent problems, though after a mid ride break there might be a delay at startup. Perhaps twice I have had to go into setting and then connections and then bluetooth then heart rate monitors and select my monitor upon which it immediately goes "oh yeah that one, I guess it slipped my mind" and then my HR reappears.

Unless I am missing something there is really no need to have the phone connected during a ride unless you want to change the custom screen settings during a ride. Otherwise I'm not sure you need the phone to be using meaningless Nyon bandwidth. Which I think will make the connection to the HRM more stable.

Today’s holiday gave me a chance for a longer ride again. Setup procedure, per interpretation of recommendations here, was no phone connection (I turned off the phone Bluetooth), start Nyon, start HRM (Polar H10). All good for about an hour, then at 1:07, while in motion, loss of HR on the display. I managed to get it back a few times, this by turning Bluetooth off and on again, and even turning off the Nyon. Powering down the HRM did not help... I think I will use my Wahoo as a parallel, reliable, display, running both the Nyon and the Wahoo.

As a corollary to shutting off the Nyon, I lost live guidance from it. Is there a way to resume a tour from somewhere in the middle? Navigation is brittle and doesn’t seem to understand that i want to go back to the tour after having to deviate from it.

Back