Nyon MY21 - Initial Thoughts

The irony is that Europe has all the bikes, but they are restricted to 20 mph.
They are restricted to 15.5 mph (25 km/h).

Many other bike companies just import the european bikes with their smaller and less powerful motors.
What makes Bosch E-Bikes unusual is a given batch of motors is made specifically for North America, and another batch is restricted to Europe/Australia. A European 25 km/h Bosch motor cannot be switched to American 20 mph Class 1 or Canadian 32 km/h limit. Motors of some other brands can be switched between regions by the distributor, making the imports easier.

Class 3 28mph bikes are availble and legal in some European countries. In most cases registration and insurance is requires and the bikes are not allowed on bike paths but rather confined to the roadways.
Not exactly. The European 45 km/h (28 mph) e-bikes belong to a type-approved class called L1e-B, and are equipped as mopeds. These conform to the U.S. Class 3 specification, which is far less restrictive. With some other motor brands, it is enough to switch them from 25 km/h to 32 kph to make them compliant with the Canadian law, or to reset the speed limiter from 25 km/h to 28 mph to make them U.S. Class 3. That's why the same road e-bike of a certain brand will cut the motor off at 25 km/h in Europe but will be a Class 3 bike in the United States.

There is no doubt the Bosch Performance Speed Line motor is both L1e-B and Class 3 capable. What about the CX motor? Can it work as Class 3 in the United States?

If there's a way to not activate rydies, it escaped me. But the smartphone hub is history for me now, so it doesn't matter.
Cobi.bike is still open source? Where is this documented?
Yeah, it's pretty much a moot point but here

Screenshot_20220416-152905.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220510-185600.png
    Screenshot_20220510-185600.png
    518.4 KB · Views: 191
I installed my Nyon MY21 last evening (no surprises) and went for a ride to my Trek dealer with my COBI Smartphonehub. I explained that it won't fit the iPhone 13 Pro Max because it is larger and a different profile than the 4 year old iPhone XS Max and that the Bosch representative on here states that Bosch has no plans to address the issue. He seemed surprised and bored at the same time. Issued a refund, no questions. On the way home I hit the same chunk of pavement that knocked my iPhone off. Other than a resounding clunk at my suspension fork bottomed out, the Nyon didn't miss a beat. I have not installed the locking bolt as I plan to remove it, much like the Kiox while I am trekking. I appreciate the shared experiences on this forum, particularly from the software/hardware side of the equation. I hope Nyon continues to be supported, even if being waylaid by the new Kiox with its vaunted Smartphonegrip.

My first generation Domane+ came with the basic Purion(?) computer, and when I would accidentally run over the carved "rumble strip" on the side of some roads, it would go blank or reset itself. I find the Nyon to be much more shock resistant. Still trying to think of a way to put the finger pad controller somewhere near the left brake, so that I can use it without having to take my right hand off the handle bars....

my bike is a rough ride and the prion was always perfect. but after 8000 or so miles my nyon mount was sloppy and I had to replace the plate mount.

Finally got my NYON MY21 to update to 3.0. Has there been any discussion about the improved or new features I should look for? I didn't notice anything big from playing with it after update and a long ride last night. TIA for any insight.

Still can't get it to connect to phone via BT. Doesn't even see my phone (although it seems to see TVs and other items).

Finally got my NYON MY21 to update to 3.0. Has there been any discussion about the improved or new features I should look for? I didn't notice anything big from playing with it after update and a long ride last night. TIA for any insight.

Still can't get it to connect to phone via BT. Doesn't even see my phone (although it seems to see TVs and other items).
You do not connect the Nyon directly to your phone. You do it through the Bosch ebike connect app.

It's a bit ropey with iPhones, and Apples poor Bluetooth stack. Android phones, at least decent ones usually fare better. My pixel 5 has been very solid, no issues at all.

New maps, and several new screens and tiles. I selected a eMTB type screen that shows all sorts of slope data and a cute little altitude graph. There are screens that calculate how much money you save by riding to work.
Other bugs fixes and stuff.

Hopeful question here. Seem to have misplaced my head unit. Is there any way to locate the unit via GPS or otherwise? Expect no, but $314 replacement is hitting hard.

If replacement is necessary, I assume when I connect via my login to the Bosch e-connect app I’ll get all my routes and past history back, right?

Hopeful question here. Seem to have misplaced my head unit. Is there any way to locate the unit via GPS or otherwise? Expect no, but $314 replacement is hitting hard.

If replacement is necessary, I assume when I connect via my login to the Bosch e-connect app I’ll get all my routes and past history back, right?
Your history is already on ebike connect? You have it set to automatically upload at the end of your rides I hope.
Your routes? I presume it depends on how you created them. I create mine externally then download them to the Nyon.

I have a Niner RLT e9 gravel ebike that came with the Purion display. About 6 months I upgraded to the Nyon because I wanted to customize my riding modes. I live in North Florida where the terrain isn't all that hilly and where most gravel/dirt riding is done on dirt roads or well-maintained greenways. Plus, I'm fairly fit and found that I usually ran at 25-30% assist and never had a need for assist settings of 50% or higher (3 of the 4 standard riding modes). Accordingly, I had little use for 4 assist/mode options so I configured my custom riding modes to create two sets of two modes each: The first set consisting of Mode1 and Mode2, and the second set consisting of Mode3 and Mode 4. Mode1 is 85-90-95-95; Mode2 is 135 throughout (50% increase of Mode1). Mode3 I set up as a more aggressive start: 100-110-120-120. Mode 4 is 170 throughout. So, if I just want a more aggressive ride, I switch to using Mode3-Mode4. Figured if I needed an assist level greater than 50% I could just go back to the "Standard" settings (85/25%, 170/50%, 255/75%, 340/100%), or pull out my phone and change the assist levels on the fly.

I did sometimes have a problem getting my Android smartphone to connect to my Nyon. In such cases, I've found that if I go to my phone and tap/start the "eBike Connect" app, it will immediately connect.

Re the Purion to Nyon upgrade: I found that the Purion handlebar mount made an excellent mounting platform for the Nyon's finger-pad. I did carefully bend it so that the finger pad was level with my handlebar.

Attachments

• 20220902_100116.jpg
    20220902_100116.jpg
    487.6 KB · Views: 184
Still finding none of of the bugs are getting fixed. Most notable how ebike connect on android has trouble with imperial units, still believing 1km = 1 mile .

It's all rather poor given its now been broken for the best part of a year. Bosch team promise a fix that never arrives (there has been 3 ebike connect updates since this bug and none of them fix the issue)

Still finding none of of the bugs are getting fixed. Most notable how ebike connect on android has trouble with imperial units, still believing 1km = 1 mile .

It's all rather poor given its now been broken for the best part of a year. Bosch team promise a fix that never arrives (there has been 3 ebike connect updates since this bug and none of them fix the issue)
Sad to hear this. And here I thought ignoring bugs was only a problem of the cobi.bike team.

Hello Everyone!
Trek Rail 9.5. New zero mileage bike.
I changed the factory Purion to Nyon. The problem is that after turning on the display, the Remote Control does not work every time. I have to turn it off and on and at some point the remote control works. New bike, new Bosch Nyon set.
Anyone had a similar problem?

Back